Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1360 1361 [1362] 1363 1364 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6093687 times)

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #20415 on: March 09, 2012, 10:17:43 am »

FB swam up well :( -> Legendary Armoror Dead.
I think im going to have to build some kind of Fortification-based filter for safe wells, and or Wall up the caverns.

h.scorpio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20416 on: March 09, 2012, 11:03:54 am »

As long as there is at least one empty space between the well and the water surface, you should be fine (as long as your swimming nemesis doesn't fly, then you're just screwed).

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20417 on: March 09, 2012, 12:00:45 pm »

Something seems off, though I'm not sure what, exactly...

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20418 on: March 09, 2012, 12:05:06 pm »

Not enough blood.

My fort: Died a FPS death. Again. Exacerbated by getting 40 more dwarves than my limit set in d_init.txt.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

GhostDwemer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20419 on: March 09, 2012, 01:24:07 pm »

Got a moody dwarf requesting cloth, but I have some, oh he wants silk... Okay, breach the caverns! Got some webs, haha troglodyte you were two ticks too slow, got my silk and finished building a wall seconds before he shows. That's when I notice the FB cancel spam. Uh oh, did I forget to build up stairs over those up/down stairs breaching the bottom cavern? Guess so. Oops, him a flyer. I'd just created my first two squads of five each, and somehow, without archery targets, in a month of watching demonstrations, my one very skilled ranger goes elite. FB tears one hammerdwarf in half before my now elite marksdwarf headshots him with a bone bolt. We're eating pterosaur steak tonight, lads!

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20420 on: March 09, 2012, 02:27:22 pm »

A fire breathing feathered hadrosaur desert titan has set the +100 zombie rave outside the fortress on fire.

It's... it's glorious.  :o
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20421 on: March 09, 2012, 02:35:55 pm »

An early and very small migrant wave in my new fort, a Weaponsmith , his wife a Wax Worker and his child (he has other childs but are adults and didn't arrived in the fort).

I looked at the guy thought

He is a former citizen of 3 places, but that's possible, nothing suspicious yet.
Then i noticed he had some kills, 43 kills !

Looking at his skills, he's skilled with hammer and adequate with dodging/shield and armor, he's a great weaponsmith and has some good levels in various social skills.

Should i suspect a vampire despite he came with a wife and a child, or is that just some very good pick in that migrant waves ?

Highly doubt he's a vamp.  I've had migrants with similar information and they weren't.  I'm almost certain it's possible for folks to be older than the world, or else the entire world would be babies at year 1.  He's probably one of those wander the wilds types, which is why he has all those kills and comes with weapon skills.

What you have there is basically one of the game's generated "Adventurers" from all indications.  P.S. And from the kills list not a half bad one at that.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 02:41:22 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20422 on: March 09, 2012, 02:41:47 pm »

That's not even that much. I've had hunters with 50+ kills, and soldiers with 50+ human/elf kills due to some war or another. It's quite normal.

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20423 on: March 09, 2012, 03:19:35 pm »

You know how it goes; you start a fortress, manage to hold on a couple of years and then get buried in immigrants.
My current fortress, Boltssaved, is 6 years old and has a population of 228. A good hundred or so dwarves have died trying to make this place work, and it's finally hitting its stride. So yeah, my dwarves have become just an expendable resource to me.
By chance, I just now inspected one of my hunters to see what she was bringing back from outside the curtain wall. Turns out it was just one of the many silver warhammers that got lost during preliminary skirmishes.
That's not what caught my eye though.
To get to the object being carried, I had to scroll through a ridiculously long list of animal bone jewelry, but not just any animal jewelry.

Elelphant bone jewelry.

Uvash Endoktost owns two hundred and ninety four objects, most of which are elephant bone jewelry pieces.
Checking her kill list reveals that little old Uvash killed two hundred and seventy nine elephants in "The Dune of Filling".
Oh, and one jaguar.

What the hell do I do with a dwarf bent on elephant genocide?

Ironically, she's paid no mind to the frequent herds of elephants that pass through this neck of the woods.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20424 on: March 09, 2012, 04:02:00 pm »

What the hell do I do with a dwarf bent on elephant genocide?

Make her your militia commander and duchess?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

h.scorpio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20425 on: March 09, 2012, 04:05:33 pm »

So the second siege rolls in and this time the goblins bring quite the lot, about 10 Trolls, some Giant Toads and whatnot, accompanied by ~30 goblins.
No way my 6 Marksdwarves are beating them, so the drawbridge is pulled up and the marksdwarves start putting bolts into trolls and goblins that come too close to the entrance. Then they run out of ammo. Since they won't restock while defending a burrow, I make them civilians again to give them a break, then after a while put them back on duty. Sadly, they don't pick up any new bolts :/
After trying to force them to pick up ammo for some time, I just resign.
"Screw it, the siege won't last forever, back to training duty" and so my dwarves retreat from their positions.

Sadly, they still won't pickup any bolts for training, but so what.

Until I notice a dwarf standing on the walls in full uniform, casually pumping bolt after bolt into the trolls below. He runs out of ammo, but decides that it's best to go down to the ammo-storage, pickup a new set of iron bolts and start all over again. And again. And again.
WHAT MAGIC IS THIS??

His description reads "no activity", and it seems he doesn't need any food or drink at all.
Well, if "no activity" means effortlessly killing 3 trolls and fending off the siege all alone, all of my military dwarves can gladly loiter around.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 04:08:25 pm by h.scorpio »

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
« Reply #20426 on: March 09, 2012, 04:10:10 pm »

I think I modded mermaid concentration camps back in, besides modding so I can butcher sentients.

now to embark on a quest to have the two dwarfiest megaprojects that have existed over this community (dwarven childcare and mermaid farming) on a fort!

I just need to find those dirty mermaids...
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

olopi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20427 on: March 09, 2012, 04:13:24 pm »

A minotaur crushed a floodgate, which set my whole fort under water, otherwise this fort was so great .....
Dwarves use their beards to influence the adamantite to change form. A dwarves beard is specialized in his job, therefore a legendary miner has a much better mining beard then a legendary weaponsmith, who has a beard that influences metals to make armor much more.
This also explains why dwarves can have a city on just a soap pillar, the beard of the soapmaking dwarf causes the soap to become rigid.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #20428 on: March 09, 2012, 04:15:49 pm »

An early and very small migrant wave in my new fort, a Weaponsmith , his wife a Wax Worker and his child (he has other childs but are adults and didn't arrived in the fort).

I looked at the guy thought

He is a former citizen of 3 places, but that's possible, nothing suspicious yet.
Then i noticed he had some kills, 43 kills !

Looking at his skills, he's skilled with hammer and adequate with dodging/shield and armor, he's a great weaponsmith and has some good levels in various social skills.

Should i suspect a vampire despite he came with a wife and a child, or is that just some very good pick in that migrant waves ?

Highly doubt he's a vamp.  I've had migrants with similar information and they weren't.  I'm almost certain it's possible for folks to be older than the world, or else the entire world would be babies at year 1.  He's probably one of those wander the wilds types, which is why he has all those kills and comes with weapon skills.

What you have there is basically one of the game's generated "Adventurers" from all indications.  P.S. And from the kills list not a half bad one at that.

Makes it even more sad that he was killed (with his wife and child) while he was hauling some rocks by that cave crocodile.
But at least he avoided the later undead invasion that killed the 40 adult dwarves and led the fort into becoming a dwarven child-only house that was the theater of a horrible tantrum spiral.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20429 on: March 09, 2012, 04:16:36 pm »

Finally hit cavern at -54.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Pages: 1 ... 1360 1361 [1362] 1363 1364 ... 3842