Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6109954 times)

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #2025 on: April 06, 2010, 07:57:31 pm »

One of my dwarves is in a fey mood and yelling about how he needs body parts. I'm not sure if he means the stuff left over when an animal is slaughtered or what :(

There might be body part lying around, just look at recent place of battle. Also make sure that when you do find some, they are not forbidden

Kza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: April 06, 2010, 08:00:41 pm »

Urist McDying cancels plant seeds: Hunting vermin for food
So. I realized about a season in that I forgot to make a farm. ...This isn't fun.

EDIT: Everyone died, fort abandoned when I noticed two dead bodies on my farm, seeds in hand.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 08:05:42 pm by Kza »
And then it's pretty much a normal fortress from then on.
I find the idea of a normal fortress amusing.

digitCruncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: April 06, 2010, 08:39:37 pm »

Fort died :(

In short, I lost my miner / expedition leader to starvation when he mined himself into a hole, got hungry, and refused to mine the 3 squares to freedom. It would have been workable, if my only other pick and only other miner wasn't stuck down with him, also too hungry to work.

Anyway, I get stuck with the no-nobles bug. As I cannot assign an arsenal dwarf, the military cannot be built. And I didn't get enough traps up in time.

Long story short, goblins come, wipe out fully 3/4 of my fort, migrants come, I purposely try to make a floor to the cavern, fail, release a flying forgotten elephant looking beast with a frosty attack (who, incedentally, would have been a pushover if I had a functional military). Abandon with my entire workshop floor COVERED in blood.

Next time, I will protect my expedition leader with everything I can, as soon as I can!! I sorta gave up when I realised I would never be able to have a functional military again...

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: April 06, 2010, 09:00:51 pm »

Have a Marsh Titan, whatever the hell that is, on the map. A short savescum(game was saved after it appeared) after said monster bypassed my traps. All of them! Walked right over them. Since when do they disregard traps?

It also seems to me that milidwarves set to inactive training ignore stuff attacking them, since it killed two without either one attempting to even dodge. All those dodging demonstrations are useless...

And then I got bored watching them beat it up with training weapons, since I haven't got the real stuff made yet. Was kind of counting on those weapon traps...

In other news, I again seized goods from another elf caravan that tried to cheat me out of about 1000 units of booze and other goodies they brought, under the Dwarf Import/Extport Act of 231 which states, 'No foreign merchant, upon receiving a fair and profitible exchange, may refute the exchange and insult the quality of the goods or dwarven virtue of their maker.' Oh well, more booze next year, eh you pointy-eared bastards?
And also, I made another iron artifact, a bucket, Raystufted the One of Fading. And worse, the maker was possesed.

...This isn't fun.
Quite the opposite, really. ;)
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: April 06, 2010, 09:57:24 pm »

Just began a new fortress and another "holy cr*p" moment: when I breached magma (from a volcano) with my miner, miner didn't die from heat and was able to outrun the magma to safety! Hurrah! Hurrah!

Now I have magma works.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 10:01:22 pm by Mandaril »
Oddom Adagsibrek, war Mandrill (Tame)
"He is incredibly skinny yet gigantic overall. His hair is brown. His skin is cinnamon. His upper body bears a very short straight scar. His left front leg bears the marks of old wounds, including a tiny straight scar. His right front foot bears a very short straight scar. His throat bears a massive curving scar. His eyes are orange."

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: April 06, 2010, 10:02:07 pm »

Three of my sword dwarves spent a good 5 minutes beating a poor gremlin into paste with wooden practice weapons before a war dog came along an performed an act of mercy on the thing. On the plus side we have a new meat on the menu!

*Edit*
Aaaaaaaaand I just lost one of my two legendary miners to magma, great.  :'(
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 10:06:52 pm by Smitehappy »
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Psychoceramics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: April 06, 2010, 10:39:41 pm »

half my fortress is fighting a flesh ball. More keep coming as they show up to put something into a stockpile, finding the battle, and joining in. They've been at it for 4 weeks now. The flesh ball has a yellow body, is exhausted and in extreme pain. And has been for the past week or so.

Shaio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: April 06, 2010, 10:47:11 pm »

Ironically, my dwarf sent to pull the lever to close the door to the outside got ambushed by a squad of ogres, which are proving near impossible to kill, even with 6 talented axedarfs and 30 dogs piled on them.... they seem to heal faster then they take damage, i have an odd feeling I'm going to die via starvation due to unkillable enemies again.

What in Armoks name convicned me to swap out goblins for ogres...

Oh right Armok...

Man there's alot of crippled dogs lying around. 3 out of 5 ogres dead one dwarf left uninjured enough to fight... Ogres Arent putting up much of a fight anymore... there just taking hits better then most rock walls.

I'm actully surpsied, in this new version half my dogs were to cowardly to join the fight.

And in the time i was writing, there now two axe dwarves and 10-15 dogs attacking an unconscious ogre lying on the ground...... and doing no damage... O.o i need bigger weapons.

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: April 06, 2010, 11:29:21 pm »

first fortress in 0.3.01, and I embark on a aquifier site, 2nd year finally get enough stone to finish building the smelter and smithy, wood burner and such. Can begin a glass works now. have built some dozen pumps and a pit exposing the aquifier to the light of day, now to figure out how to set up all the pumps with windmills I have 3 stones available for mechanisms if I need them. I got farming started underground by breaching a 3 space pond to muddy an area I suppose I need to trap that hole or put a door there. I have no defenses not even traps, just a single wooden door... no military, do have a legendary carpenter, made a really great bucket... my training weqpons are all too good quality to actually use for sparing, so I traded them away to the caravan, and will pick a peasant to do the carpentry when I make the replacements. :-)

MooUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: April 07, 2010, 01:57:47 am »

DF2010 fortress number 3:
So far, all is going quite well. I did have all my dwarves hunting for vermin at the end of the first summer, and had ordered a mule and a puppy to be sacrificed for the good of our stomachs, but it took me a short while to realise I hadn't actually built a butcher's shop. Fort's up to 28 dwarfs at mid-autumn year 2, and has a very decent export trade in iron bolts going at the moment. Major imports are wood, fish, and plants, as the surface vegetation is confined to the northeastern corner - along with my fort and the fresh spring feeding it - and I haven't actually bothered with a farm yet. I'll be working on an irrigation system for it shortly - must bear in mind that my inlet cistern is pressurised from the brook!

Only threat I've encountered so far in this fortress was a gang of rhesus macaques, who tried charging in my front entrance. I suspect the bowman guarding the human caravan doesn't like monkeys, because he shot every single one down. My butchers ran out, nodded respectfully to him, and ran off with the remains.

I have plenty of food and sufficient booze to keep me going, and I think I have enough animals that meat supplies shouldn't be a problem. I've left a portion of the brook inside my curtain wall, so my dwarfs are fishing in comfort and style. Only thing I am running low on right now is fuel, but there's plenty around - just have to go mining for it.

I have one injured miner who broke all four limbs and smashed his skull open. Somehow, he's still alive over a year later. My surgeon's doing his best, but getting nowhere.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: April 07, 2010, 03:01:45 am »

Just made an artifact emerald window worth twice as much as the rest of my fortress.  :o

"Conventkingdoms the Wave of Attacking"
This is an Emerald window. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. This object menaces with spikes of Emerald and Pinfire opal. On the item is an image of dwarves in Chestnut. The dwarves are traveling.

Value: 193200*

I love my new legendary Gem Cutter.
くコ:彡

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: April 07, 2010, 08:48:54 am »

on my... forgot number what 2010 fortress. humming along nicely
have deforested the forest for wood for bins, beds, barrels and charcoal.
am building the beginning of a military of sorts, with a backed up save incase i crash the game by accidentally invoking a bug. gave the tree-huggers some profit this year to dump the trade goods and encourage them to bring a few more animals - they seem to think that the last year when i seized everything of value i wanted they should bring less of what i want. have persuaded the liason to promote my expedition leader to baroness. am pleasantly surprised when said baroness continues to work. have forged electrum furniture for baroness as a reward.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: April 07, 2010, 08:59:20 am »

ive broken in to all three non magma cave systems. I might drain one of the upper ones into one of the lower ones. I have my squads petrolling around them killing things and getting killed. Ive created a system of portculisis to lock down each area of my fort, and after some elves abadoned their cargo when the goblins ambushed i got sveral caged elephants, tigers, leopards and wolves so ive chained these up as sentries. Still some how an elk bird managed to get into the inner sanctum. Havnot managed to find any adamntine yet and im only 6 floors from the bottom.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: April 07, 2010, 09:37:10 am »

half my fortress is fighting a flesh ball. More keep coming as they show up to put something into a stockpile, finding the battle, and joining in. They've been at it for 4 weeks now. The flesh ball has a yellow body, is exhausted and in extreme pain. And has been for the past week or so.
Happened to me twice so far. Convinced me to install cage traps.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: April 07, 2010, 09:54:54 am »

How do I make mah MILITARY TRAIN! AHHHHHHHHHHHH!
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 3842