Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1345 1346 [1347] 1348 1349 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095126 times)

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #20190 on: March 01, 2012, 06:42:39 am »

A weresheep came and got its ass kicked by a giant hamster.

A giant thrips also almost strangled one of my soldiers to death earlier. He got all messed up up and died in his bed.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20191 on: March 01, 2012, 06:54:12 am »

In my hardscrabble, crummy little fort, I just witnessed an annoying rhesus macaque, fleeing the main hall with a +pond turtle roast+ clutched in its grubby hands, get torn apart by a giant snapping turtle that was pastured there. :o
I knew she'd be good for something! :D Now she's moved over to the tile where its severed leg landed. I do not know much about giant snapping turtles, but I like to imagine she's gnawing happily on it as my dwarves rush out to end the monkey invasion. Now, let's see if my giant kestrel and boar also manage to perform some satisfying acts of macaque mutilation...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #20192 on: March 01, 2012, 10:21:01 am »

My refuse pile just woke up and ate my dwarves, who in turn got up themselves and started eating the other dwarves. In one month.

I think I need more magma.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Koremu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20193 on: March 01, 2012, 10:52:12 am »

Well, the Fortress has finally fallen.

The Goblins, unable to get inside my walls, enlisted the aid of a tribe of Raven people, who quite handily flew right over them.

They didn't stay long, but the casualties they inflicted were enough to trigger a long, slow cycle of recrimination and death. One of those killed by the Raven people was the expedition leader, who had an almost supernatural gift for cheering up and calming down angry or depressed dwarves. With him gone, recriminations flew over who was responsible, and matters weren't helped by the death (from infection - the fighting polluted both wells) of the mother of one of my major clans.

As the population dwindled the unfinished towers of the surface fort became home to increasing numbers of Raven People, drawn by the unclaimed remains of Dwarf, Elf, Goblin and Yak around the fort.

Eventually, the long awaited Caravan from the Mountainhome arrived. Every able bodied dwarf in the fortress reported for duty, clad in a motley of whatever equipment they could scavenge.

We Opened the gates, and went forth.

It was close. Of the innumerable horde of Goblins, perhaps a dozen survived the fight, and none of them uninjured. The Merchant guards fought bravely, as did every dwarf in the fortress. But it was not to be.

Beneath the fort, the crippled cook Momul heard the victory chants of the Goblins approach, and pulled the Lever, comforting the few remaining children as the water streamed into the chambers and the shouts of the Goblins turned from victory to panic.

Losing is fun, bastards.

So now GraveAbbey is broken, and only the cries of the Raven people remain around its towers.
It's a dwarf.  Their natural habitat is "trapped on the wrong side of a wall".

Flinging children halfway across the map to land in magma is good, wholesome fun, but extramarital reproduction?  Why, that's just unseemly!

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20194 on: March 01, 2012, 12:28:12 pm »

Another Siege, my remodelling plans failed due to overseer stupidity - fortifications work both ways :). only a pet-bear and a couple of marksdwarves were hurt but it could have been worse. Putting old walls back in.
Dwarven caravan arrived, offered the King enought to get him to move in, along with the incredible amount of Architectural value and the silver and copper road, he should be along presently. Smoothing cotton-candy room out for his room/mausoleam etc. Plenty of the blue stuff and or Silver to make him feel kingly. I might make his bedroom above the maga-pools - hmm, glass flooring over the magma see with Candy Statues ... he'll never want to leave.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20195 on: March 01, 2012, 12:40:07 pm »

My first Siege in this fort. I didn't expect it to be a problme, as I had 30+ war dogs behind a raisable bridge, and 6 marksdwarves with higher ground fortifications. It... didn't work out that well. Some trolls got in quickly, which scared eveyr dwarf away from the lever. My marksdwarves were paying no attention at all, not shooting a single bolt at the enemy. Some of them didn't even have bolts equipped!

Short story is that my fort of ~150 or so is not down to 29. 17 of those 29 are children, and 3 of them are resting from wounds. Ouch.

I fully expect tantrum spirals or ghost-enduced deaths to take the rest, but I'll see it through to the end first.

I'm also thinking I'll re-focus my military to be sparring weapon dwarves, as these marksdwarves are unobservant as hell.

On the plus side, I have a LOT of billon coins made. Why? because I thought it would be a neat idea. Yeah, maybe it's not the most efficient use of my resources, but it sounded fun.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

pivole

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:gut-rotting brews]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20196 on: March 01, 2012, 02:03:39 pm »

Oh, good god. 60 dwarves down in a few weeks. I now have 12. Five are babies. Noone is unhappy any more though. I probably require armour.
Also, kobolds don't steal enough milk. I quote:
The Marksdwarf scratches The Kobold Spearman in the head, tearing the muscle, shattering the skull and bruising the brain!
What.
For glory, Godde and gold in the Virginia Company!

Meansdarling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20197 on: March 01, 2012, 02:40:55 pm »

Means, did you name your dorves after your friends?

:D

The very first fort I ran that was actually successful (Creaturebolt, back in 0.31.04) I named EVERY dwarf after my friends (and later, family and acquaintances). It made me fight all the harder to make them survive (they fought off a dragon with massive losses, then lost to a dual goblin siege and hydra attack).

Ah, that takes me back.
I did that the first time I realized I could name them. It was very tragic, I still remember that my dwarf died right at the beginning, and that my brother's dwarf died from infection. I'm pretty used to it now though.

I named the dorfs I'm playing now after authors of books I'm supposed to read for class.

ReluctantReaper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20198 on: March 01, 2012, 03:53:37 pm »

well after 2 goblin sieges and a cyclops attack my fort of Cryptrain went from a good 108 to a mere 25 dwarfs, but the good news is they are in the history books! The battle of lashes.... and of course as i type this I get another force of vile darkness.. I fear Cryptrain is doomed.   :'(

Edit: They live still! all i had to fight was four trolls... without a single loss of life!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 04:05:56 pm by ReluctantReaper »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20199 on: March 01, 2012, 03:58:49 pm »

Means, did you name your dorves after your friends?

:D

The very first fort I ran that was actually successful (Creaturebolt, back in 0.31.04) I named EVERY dwarf after my friends (and later, family and acquaintances). It made me fight all the harder to make them survive (they fought off a dragon with massive losses, then lost to a dual goblin siege and hydra attack).

Ah, that takes me back.

Reminds me that I used to do that in Oregon Trail way, way, way back when.  It actually had more emotional impact than I thought it would.

Anyway, current fort finally made it to barony status after nearly 7 years.  Took forever to breed up enough citizens to meet the goal when the pop cap was set to 50.  That and it took my mayor half a year to talk with the liaison because he was busy screwing around in the barracks and trying to build stuff.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20200 on: March 01, 2012, 04:55:15 pm »

Reminds me that I used to do that in Oregon Trail way, way, way back when.  It actually had more emotional impact than I thought it would.

Anyway, current fort finally made it to barony status after nearly 7 years.  Took forever to breed up enough citizens to meet the goal when the pop cap was set to 50.  That and it took my mayor half a year to talk with the liaison because he was busy screwing around in the barracks and trying to build stuff.
I always designate the Mayors office as a burrow so whenever the Liason comes around I can get him to sit still with a few keystrokes.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20201 on: March 01, 2012, 05:11:02 pm »

Today Tinfound had a goblin siege that was fairly easily wiped out, with no casualties except for an idiot elite marksdwarf who tried to solo the entire siege (I lock my marksdwarves in the armoury and cancel their orders in order to make them reload, but Urist got left outside and went to train in the outdoor practice range....). Oh, and the dwarven caravan that got locked out, but nobody cares about them.

Anyway, during the siege a bunch of kobold thieves tried to break in. Clearly they were rookies, because they made a number of basic errors:

KOBOLD FIELD MANUAL SECTION THREE: THIEVING

I: Do not try to break into a dwarven fortress when it's under siege. This is, after all, the one time when all entrances are locked down and guarded, with heavily armed and drunk dwarves on duty looking for an excuse to kill everything within reach. Even if you get in, you will never get out.

II: Don't try to enter through the same door that half the fortress guard is rushing out of in order to kill goblins. This may end badly for you. [Kobold Casualty no.1]

III: If you do have the sense to find an unguarded entrance, go straight for the centre before the guards return. DON'T hang around on top of the perimeter wall until you bump into a patrolling marksdwarf. Can you outrun *iron bolts*? [Kobold Casualty no.2]

IV: Don't however rush straight for the inner keep of the fortress when half the fortress guard, fresh from killing goblins, is rushing back in before they sober up. Nobody wants to meet a sober dwarf. [Kobold Casualty no.3]

For once I'd like to have some thieves that actually have a chance of stealing something...
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20202 on: March 01, 2012, 05:22:24 pm »

Today Tinfound had a goblin siege that was fairly easily wiped out, with no casualties except for an idiot elite marksdwarf who tried to solo the entire siege (I lock my marksdwarves in the armoury and cancel their orders in order to make them reload, but Urist got left outside and went to train in the outdoor practice range....). Oh, and the dwarven caravan that got locked out, but nobody cares about them.

Anyway, during the siege a bunch of kobold thieves tried to break in. Clearly they were rookies, because they made a number of basic errors:

KOBOLD FIELD MANUAL SECTION THREE: THIEVING

I: Do not try to break into a dwarven fortress when it's under siege. This is, after all, the one time when all entrances are locked down and guarded, with heavily armed and drunk dwarves on duty looking for an excuse to kill everything within reach. Even if you get in, you will never get out.

II: Don't try to enter through the same door that half the fortress guard is rushing out of in order to kill goblins. This may end badly for you. [Kobold Casualty no.1]

III: If you do have the sense to find an unguarded entrance, go straight for the centre before the guards return. DON'T hang around on top of the perimeter wall until you bump into a patrolling marksdwarf. Can you outrun *iron bolts*? [Kobold Casualty no.2]

IV: Don't however rush straight for the inner keep of the fortress when half the fortress guard, fresh from killing goblins, is rushing back in before they sober up. Nobody wants to meet a sober dwarf. [Kobold Casualty no.3]

For once I'd like to have some thieves that actually have a chance of stealing something...
I've lost exactly two items to Kobolds, both were large gems encrusted with millions of dwarfbucks in other gems that weren't important enough to bring indoors.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20203 on: March 01, 2012, 05:26:25 pm »

A kitten tied to a stik was just instrumental in bringing in a haul of goblinite. And an animal caretaker is better at killing animals than helping them, as he one-shotted an elk bird with a crossbow.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20204 on: March 01, 2012, 05:41:37 pm »

My refuse pile just woke up and ate my dwarves, who in turn got up themselves and started eating the other dwarves. In one month.

I think I need more magma.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php?title=Main_Page/Quote&diff=165331&oldid=159299
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.
Pages: 1 ... 1345 1346 [1347] 1348 1349 ... 3842