Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1342 1343 [1344] 1345 1346 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094716 times)

quarague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #20145 on: February 29, 2012, 06:18:19 am »

I bought a giant hamster and a kestrel from the elven traders, (I had lots of gold and I bought everything that looked vaguely useful or interesting). Didn't know what to do with them and after keeping them in a cage for half a year I put them on a pasture outside, I don't think either of them eat grass but they seem happy.
I aso caught a goblin thief in a cage and after he was in the cage for about a year I thought my military was ready for some life target practice. The only way I ever managed to free somthing from a cave is to tell someone to bring it to a pasture.
I had accidently told the squad to attack the other goblin in a cage so when the peasant came he just took out the goblin and started off towards the pasture. The goblin must have gone nuts during a year in the cage, he just meekly followed the peasant to the pasture and was probably ready to eat some grass and join the herd. The moment he gets to the pasture the giant hamster and the kestrel close in on him and start to attack. They shread him to pieces in seconds, so turns out I have a war hamster :-)
More importantly, ... , making the project pointlessly difficult and requiring greatly overcomplicated means to set up  ...
from Sphalerite

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #20146 on: February 29, 2012, 06:27:21 am »

The only way I ever managed to free somthing from a cave is to tell someone to bring it to a pasture.

(b), (j) to build a cage, (x) to look for specific cage - goblin cage
build lever, connect lever to cage, pull lever. Free goblin!
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20147 on: February 29, 2012, 07:01:58 am »

I abandoned after I found out that natural ice does not thaw when the layer beneath it is magma. No icefortress, 20 kilourist of magma pumped over 100 z-levels for nothing :(.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #20148 on: February 29, 2012, 07:03:54 am »

I caught a human child werething in a cage by accident.

I'm thinking about making a were-well or something. Still waiting for my vampire to make a well of creeping death, and then to see if I can have were-pires. Or something.

Vampirism and were-ism dont go togheter, sorry, you cant have a vampire were-bat.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20149 on: February 29, 2012, 07:06:32 am »

I'm thinking about making a were-well or something. Still waiting for my vampire to make a well of creeping death, and then to see if I can have were-pires. Or something.

Vampirism and were-ism dont go togheter, sorry, you cant have a vampire were-bat.
What about a were-vampire?

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #20150 on: February 29, 2012, 07:17:10 am »

IIRC all syndromes are mutually exclusive, not just Vampirism and transformation curses.
If I'm mistaken, I feel this would be a fairly ...uh... fickle to make this distinction by hardcoding it.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #20151 on: February 29, 2012, 07:20:42 am »

What about a were-vampire?

Vampirism is a syndrome, if i am correct, and were-ism is to a creature i think :(

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20152 on: February 29, 2012, 07:50:41 am »

The only way I ever managed to free somthing from a cave is to tell someone to bring it to a pasture.

or make a Pit activity zone and (P) select the gobbo for pitting, he will be dragged out of his cage and pushed onto the pit zone, if that happens to be over a 10z-level drop with spikes at the bottom, or a room full of waiting millitia, more the better :).

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #20153 on: February 29, 2012, 08:01:18 am »

Put a hammerdwarf through a training room. He is now a legendary fighter.

Our engraver also died, but I don't know why. He didn't get drained of blood, though, so no vampires.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

humblegar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20154 on: February 29, 2012, 08:08:47 am »

or make a Pit activity zone and (P) select the gobbo for pitting, he will be dragged out of his cage and pushed onto the pit zone, if that happens to be over a 10z-level drop with spikes at the bottom, or a room full of waiting millitia, more the better :).

If you are mass pitting thieves you may want to have a small squad on top as well, as some of them will run for it when you open the cage. The lever method is 100% safe even with thieves.

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20155 on: February 29, 2012, 08:11:28 am »

A bunch of high level miners that were emergency-drafted just tore through two goblin ambush squads, with the help of some human caravan guards. The map I started on has no water and no wood, so I really better start digging down and tap water and magma there.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #20156 on: February 29, 2012, 08:31:20 am »

On a reclaimed fort i was surprised to get a Goblin siege army showing up so early (maybe i had too much wealth reclaimed) before any goblin ambush squad came.

I dispatched my 2 squads (one made up of spear+hammer dwarves and the other being only marksdwarves) to try to stop them (as i had not finished my trap system) and the battle was very bloody, victory for the dwarves but they lost many good soldiers.

Anyways, after that victory, at that time the population was around 80.

A season or two after , it was down to 40 dwarves.

What happened is that the military losses resulted apparently into a crazy tantrum spiral (that i wasn't expected as i had not made any meeting hall so dwarves shouldn't have been so close in relationship to each other) that resulted in so many berzerk dwarves, many death by starving (despite they was food available, but tantrum led into people not going to eat) and it was the time in which the stagnant water propagation bug decided to make the full big river (not a small brook, but a big stream) full of "stagnant" water.
And as the dwarves were needing to drink much quicker than my poor brewer was able to produce them, they were dying of thirst.

Only after 40 death, the tantrum spiral ended, and the poor brewer was able to provide drink .
But i fear the next migration will make too much dwarves in the fort again for the brewer, will have to use the reservoir+pump trick to get some water clean.

The coffin making industry was working full time.

But how i hope this stagnant thing bug will be fixed, after a while it's not fun.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20157 on: February 29, 2012, 09:03:45 am »

After a while? The stagnant water bug pissed me off the first time it infected a major river because it didn't freeze all at once.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Stil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20158 on: February 29, 2012, 09:43:12 am »

Had my first Minotaur! Up until now every single big beastie was the cavern dwelling kind. I was read though. I locked my surface down and opened the hatch to the ramp leading to my subterranean trade depot... and sissy-elf traders visiting at the time. Unfortunately the Minotaur was killed straight away, else I would have dug a labyrinth for him and pitted all my gobbos for to be his playmates.
"This in particular, simply because it's so siggable." Ironyowl

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20159 on: February 29, 2012, 09:45:27 am »

Suffered a loyalty cascade due to lack of attention to detail on my part.
Had to savescum to avoid a slaughtered fortress.
Pages: 1 ... 1342 1343 [1344] 1345 1346 ... 3842