Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1339 1340 [1341] 1342 1343 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094214 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #20100 on: February 28, 2012, 12:20:24 pm »

True. And I had to dam the damn thing anyways, to prevent my FPS from dropping to ~15 every winter and spring when most of it is frozen but there are about 200 tiles of water draining out.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

ReluctantReaper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20101 on: February 28, 2012, 01:05:25 pm »

currently trying to massivly expand underground to hold the large amount of stone crap craft items that i have. apperently 2* wasn't enough of a profit for the human trader and he got pissy and left so i have a surplus of trade goods. also trying to figure how how to make a death trap for my vampire i have

Enki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20102 on: February 28, 2012, 01:07:27 pm »

Lost my 20 dwarves strong fortress to a stray kitten husk, yay!!!

ModBewlay

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20103 on: February 28, 2012, 01:29:04 pm »

A pretty eventful day for my fort, seeing as how the events that transpired ended my fort entirely. First, I get an undead siege, and a goblin ambush right in the middle. The goblins were taken care of by the undead. The undead were taken care of by some pissed off dwarfs. Some tantrums were thrown, some upper lips torn off, but my fort recovered quickly. Monkeys come in and steal my crap as soon as I let the floodgates up and the bridges down--more severed upper lips and no appreciable losses.

My prized gem-encrusted limonite trumpet replica parted from me by way of a kobold thief soon after. This upset me. I took my frustration out by digging as deeply and greedily as possible until I hit something blue and expensive to make me feel better. Just as I did this another undead siege popped up. Immediately I work the fortress into a state of impenetrability, plans of using my new found material to buff up my army in isolation going through my head.

My farms are refusing to stay muddy at this point, a key element in my failure. Another was that every time I closed the fort during an undead siege, DF crashed. So, opting to have some fun instead of putting a few days' work to good use, I sent my military after them. All of them were killed almost immediately. Apparently my military was well liked, because everyone in the fort was upset at this. Also affecting my dwarves' happiness were the cursed farm plots which I had neglected for a season or two. I made one last attempt to open up the fort (for easier reclaiming/adventure mode antics), but my lone surviving mayor was too busy doing other things like detailing walls. A pretty standard end as far as forts go. Among the things lost with this fort are a (more or less) matching set of 2 legendary goblin bone gauntlets, a kickass maple n' steel barrel and about 8 years' worth of unprocessed fish due to sheer forgetfulness.

My next embark is on a weird looking volcano. It's a magma tube surrounded by a thin 1-block wall of obsidian that stretches up for many Z-levels, partially embedded in an oddly symmetrical and beautiful mountain. The first thing I did was make a small channel in the rim just to see what would happen. It drained like you'd expect it to, so I'm thinking about moving into the volcano once I drain it a bit more and build up some stone.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20104 on: February 28, 2012, 01:56:47 pm »

This killed 10 migrants.  They were all worthless, so nothing of value was lost.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20105 on: February 28, 2012, 01:58:20 pm »

I'm not sure how long this has been going on, but on an invader's breastplate will be an image of their civilization.

I've found that exact same thing printed on every single breastplate we've recovered from slaughtered ambushes.

Which is why i make sure all globlinite is smelted down to eradicate their heathen imagry.... and gets turned into copper doors or spikes or whatever :)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20106 on: February 28, 2012, 02:12:57 pm »

My Legendary Miner with Proficient Weaponsmithing became secretive and made an artifact diorite table. He didn't become a Legendary Mason in the process  :'(
Miner mood, as Mining is his highest skill. Moods for Mining will make a Masonry object, but increase Mining. I once got a Competent->Legendary Engraver the same way.

Your Legendary Miner is now a Legendary+5 Miner. It's five more!
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

ReluctantReaper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20107 on: February 28, 2012, 02:48:26 pm »

how do you make them pick up goblin stuff? theres a bunch of armor and weapons laying around even with the desginated zones

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #20108 on: February 28, 2012, 03:15:17 pm »

a monster came onto the map, killed 35 dwarves, then transformed into a naked human and sprinted off the map at high speeds.

what the flying fuck just happened.

Anyway, I'm re-starting with pop-cap at 21 so I'll have time to get used to DF 2012
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20109 on: February 28, 2012, 03:17:12 pm »

how do you make them pick up goblin stuff? theres a bunch of armor and weapons laying around even with the desginated zones

Is it -

- forbidden? (When checked with the loo(k) command, it'll show up as in {curly brackets} if so) - If it's forbidden, it can be claimed - easiest way is (d)esignate - (b)uilding/item properties - (c)laim.

- Claimed by a dwarf? When you loo(k) at a tile, you can examine an item with (Enter) - if it shows 'Claimed by Urist McGreedy, Peasant' then someone has taken it as an owned item - so noone else will take it, the only way to move it in-game is to build them a room (bedroom, office, etc) and they will put stuff in their room.

Those are the solutions I can think of but there may be others.

--

On the continuing subject of my fort, Bronzemanors - nearly ten years in, still no metal at all to be found. Another enormous siege in the spring (further evidence of collaboration between the elves and goblins), this time 88 invaders, none mounted. That is, fortunately, a lot of goblinite, which seems to be the only naturally occuring mineral here.

Sadly, however, tragedy has struck - my Legendary Wood Burner keeled over at the turn of the year, dead from some strange illness called 'old age' (must be a syndrome of some sort, since I haven't seen a dwarf die from this yet). Training a replacement is slow going, and my furnaces are desperate for the charcoal goodness only a Legendary Wood Burner can provide.

Also, the siege claimed a single casualty, another of my legendary warriors - this time my Spear squad captain :( Promotions and replacements have been organised as required.

The huge number of immigrant children are starting to reach maturity now, too, and are being designated either to aid the construction as Masons, or for future military endeavours as Pump Operators, to be drafted as needed.

My mayor for some insane reason has demanded an adamantine statue. He has no quarters assigned as yet, so even if I'd found adamantine, and was willing to waste it on a mere mayoral adornment, he'd have nowhere to put it. He is currently in my Swordsdwarf squad, and they have a life expectancy estimated somewhere just long enough for them to reach the front lines... so his demands are really not my concern. (If he should start complaining too violently, the experienced military will happily use him for training purposes)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #20110 on: February 28, 2012, 03:46:44 pm »

My next embark is on a weird looking volcano. It's a magma tube surrounded by a thin 1-block wall of obsidian that stretches up for many Z-levels, partially embedded in an oddly symmetrical and beautiful mountain. The first thing I did was make a small channel in the rim just to see what would happen. It drained like you'd expect it to, so I'm thinking about moving into the volcano once I drain it a bit more and build up some stone.

I'm pretty sure volcano refills slowly
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Flying Fortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20111 on: February 28, 2012, 03:49:00 pm »

Just had a funny artifact made when my gem cutter became possessed.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Not much history on it, but this part is funny "The elves are prostrating themselves before Adil Roomhole [the dwarf]."  The elves aren't smiling now, they are bowing before the mighty dwarf lord.  :D

I also got attack by 4 necromancers who I quickly chopped into little tiny bits along with part of an elf caravan.  They were no match for my weapon traps packed full of silver war hammers (no iron on this map, just silver and sand for glass weapons.)  The necromancers didn't bring zombies though, and they didn't raise anything up before dying, they were sneaking in like thieves instead of sieging me.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 03:50:31 pm by Flying Fortress »
Has entire family killed and all friends butchered and raped.
---
It's cool, he saw an awesome sock AND a waterfall, so it's all good now.
it's ‼Super Happy Tantrum Time‼

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20112 on: February 28, 2012, 03:51:38 pm »

Good news, after about a week ingame the loitering trader meandered a few tiles over, letting the rest of the migrants through.  I wonder if he needs to eat and drink.  Well, he'll be around to greet the summer migrants at least.

I am fast running out of wood.  This is annoying.  Damn scarce trees biome.  I could always break into the caverns to harvest both the wood and cave spider webs (I have live ones!  I saw them flitting about!) but that will require reconnaissance of where each of the three forgotten beasts that are hanging out in my caverns are.  I wish to avoid as much confrontation as possible down there due to it being a loooong way from my refuse and butcher/tanner shops.

Fucking giant sparrow feathers won't stop reanimating.  Time for drastic measures involving my magma sea.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20113 on: February 28, 2012, 03:53:02 pm »

There is at least 3 different ways in which that is never going to happen.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

pivole

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:gut-rotting brews]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20114 on: February 28, 2012, 03:53:51 pm »

Keas. So much. How does a kea carry a sandstone wardrobe? Or steel axe? Or anything?
And then I lost seventy odd dwarves to ambushes. It's horrible.
For glory, Godde and gold in the Virginia Company!
Pages: 1 ... 1339 1340 [1341] 1342 1343 ... 3842