Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1326 1327 [1328] 1329 1330 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094947 times)

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
  • Either a Doomsday Device or an Ice Cream maker.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #19905 on: February 25, 2012, 03:16:22 am »

My fortress of Asdoskol has 220 citizens; 94 of which are children and babies. We have only 126, 124 , 123 effective adult dwarves (two have grasping injuries) We are now moving at a pace that makes me look at the movements of glaciers and tectonic plates with envy. We found our vampire, big surprise it was the mayor.  He is now a vampire mayor that still has over 1000 days in prison. The liaison can't talk to him until his prison sentence is up meaning I can't order wood and coke for my furnaces. I have trapped six kangaroos, a named wolverine, and a giant wombat mount. None of which can be tamed and turned into meat for the fortress. I don't know where the kangaroos came from. I set up those traps for the perfectly tameable wild horses and mountain goats who have vanished.

On the plus side my marks-dwarf squads are the best yet, I have them packed into a 7x2 fortified training room over the gate and every snatcher, ambush, Kea, and buzzard is targeted by at least 15 dwarves with full quivers.

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19906 on: February 25, 2012, 03:56:13 am »

This is long, but it's quite a tale and I can't keep myself from sharing it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #19907 on: February 25, 2012, 03:58:01 am »

Some ravens came across cage traps. They aren't exotic, so I tamed them. I will let their eggs hatch, and later, I will cook their eggs.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19908 on: February 25, 2012, 04:10:56 am »

I have a forgotten beast made of gold rampaging through my fort right now.  My militia is all dead, and to top it off a siege just arrived.

Cavern breaching went poorly.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19909 on: February 25, 2012, 06:14:03 am »

Awww. :) This is a really small thing, but it gave me such an inexplicable happy feeling that I almost had to bump that old 'Things That Brightened Your DF Day' thread.
Outpost Rockgrizzle has been barely scraping out a living on a small patch of arable land admist the evil desert wastelands. We only just now had our first migrant wave after a few years, that's how bad this place is; the vultures swoop in every so often and steal half the food.
So anyway, I was examining my migrants, one of the first waves I've had in the new version, and I realise that of the two couples who arrived, one of each pair is the sibling of one of the other pair. So evidently this brother/sister team, a glazer and a wax worker, decided to bring their spouses (no kids yet) out to settle a new colony together, and start their families. :)
I was curious to see if the others were relatives too, and noticed that while they were not related, one of them was a distant relative of several of the old guard of my fort. My, what a close-knit settlement... It's gonna be a shame when we get wiped out. :-\

[/sleepy]
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19910 on: February 25, 2012, 07:12:19 am »

That's pretty neat. Also, store your food underground, dude. :P
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #19911 on: February 25, 2012, 08:32:00 am »

Spoiler: A !!FORTRESS!! (click to show/hide)
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19912 on: February 25, 2012, 08:52:53 am »

Fathdakost is on alert.

A vampire has been discovered in our ranks.
Thankfully, he has not struck yet. For now, our vampire will remain in the army.

In other news, the crippled miner died of infection, it seems. The elves arrived, took one look at our poor quality stone crafts and let us have a few berries. They didn't bring any alcohol or any animals besides a sad looking dog, so we bought as much berries as we could afford and sent them on their way.

To initiate them into the army, our three recruits (including the militia commander) were sent to kill some wild turkeys with their bare hands. The result was... funny.

One recruit strangled the turkey until it passed out, then he bit its head off Ozzy Osbourne style.
The vampire recruit knocked his turkey into the water, where it stubbornly stayed until it drowned.
And the Militia Commander kicked his turkey until it gave up and died.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19913 on: February 25, 2012, 09:12:21 am »

I have a (very creatively named) water tower and I was busy refilling it (I tried to flood some goblins in to the nearby ocean). There was an engraver pumping. Engraver got attacked by a gorilla. Unsurprisingly, he was losing. He managed to stumble away and the gorilla fell into the water stunned to drown later. A second gorilla approached and finished off my poor engraver. Harsh. Bastard managed to get away before my marksdwarves arrived.

Anyway, aquaduct is almost finished. I just need to finish placing and rigging the floodgates and I can start topping off my moat. :P
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19914 on: February 25, 2012, 10:50:00 am »

A migrant wave was just massacred by goblins, except for one dude who was sitting quite comfortably in the entrance waiting to be let in. He claims to have a family but there were none with him. Hmm. He's now walled up in the hall of undead citizens. So far no complaints about hunger or thirst.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19915 on: February 25, 2012, 11:26:21 am »

A migrant wave was just massacred by goblins, except for one dude who was sitting quite comfortably in the entrance waiting to be let in. He claims to have a family but there were none with him. Hmm. He's now walled up in the hall of undead citizens. So far no complaints about hunger or thirst.

I guess that "Don't trust your own dwarves" is a feature in the new version. Not optional anymore.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19916 on: February 25, 2012, 01:19:26 pm »

Started a new fort in the latest version. The last one I've basically given up on, too many sieges. At one point in the previous one, a kid adopted a tame vermin bird, but then constantly spammed about not being able to get to it(the bird was flying around). Then the spam stopped when the kid got kidnapped by goblins.

In this fort, I keep getting huge migrant waves of mostly low-skilled Rangers and Fishery Workers(all three fishery skills). I've got no less than three vampires, two of whom I've executed with a collapsing platform. I'm having a hard time identifying the third, since he hasn't killed anyone(but did bite someone), and all those Ranger/Fishery migrants seem to be from one gigantic extended family with the same prior goverment associations(they all seem to be former members of three or so previous civs). Hell, the ALL might be vampires, since not one of them reported the death of a vampire victim even when I dumped to poor sod's corpse in the main entryway. That would mean that about 70-75 of my 90 inhabitants are freaking vampires.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19917 on: February 25, 2012, 03:35:28 pm »

....Damn Alligators. I've just embarked in a new world and found an awesome spot with a shitton of minerals. Only problem? The river is absolutely INFESTED with alligators, and guess where my wagon is parked? On of my faster fort collapses.....
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19918 on: February 25, 2012, 03:38:20 pm »

"Hey engraver, why don't you go engrave the bedrooms?"

"I'm on break.

"OK, three months later your break is over.  Go do your job now, lazy bum."

"I'm eating."

"You're done eating."

"I'm drinking."

"You're done drinking."

Zzzzzz....

*DFhack spawn magma on the asshole*
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Electrode

• Bay Watcher
  • murmurs horrible curses
    • View Profile
« Reply #19919 on: February 25, 2012, 04:03:35 pm »

I fear that the brave settlers of Alathvukcas are doomed from the start...

• Brought no supplies
  • Expected to do the usual wagon->wood->carpentry deal
  • Embarked on the one 4x4 outcropping in the middle of a wide-open field
  • Which means no wagon

No tools, no booze, and nothing to make a trade depot out of. I don't think there's any hope here...
Pages: 1 ... 1326 1327 [1328] 1329 1330 ... 3842