Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6110026 times)

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #1980 on: April 05, 2010, 09:36:33 am »

alot of people due... mostly windows users.  Especially on vista, it just stops working altogether.

I used speed 0 on vista, worked perfectly fine.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: April 05, 2010, 10:52:31 am »

In my fort, I've just started the production of 10 copper axes to arm a squad of 10 dwarves who are going to be my elite corps. They all have iron breastplates, and the leader of the squad has a silver helm. Then I'm going to explore the caves with these guys, another squad stationed up top in case anything tries to climb up.

gislegron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: April 05, 2010, 11:37:54 am »

Just got a dwarven caravan commin in, and the liason of said dwarves appear to be a fat red haired elf with one eye and one arm and yellow wounds all over her body... WTF?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: April 05, 2010, 11:54:54 am »

Giant Olm attacked my fortress, killed a farmer and a carpenter, mauled a miner, and was finally brought down by a woodcutter.  A makeshift hopsickle was set up in the miner's bedroom.  Then I abandoned the fortress.  I'm hanging the get of it again, through trial and error.
Shoes...

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: April 05, 2010, 12:02:21 pm »

I'm hanging the get of it again, through trial and error.

Hanging the get? Do you mean that you are getting the hang..?

I breached the caverns just in time, as I am planning to base my entire economy on them, but I am soon to run out of food.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 12:05:29 pm by Caesar »
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: April 05, 2010, 12:16:01 pm »

Well my last fort was an above ground hippy fort, with pine walls enclosing the entirety of the perimeter save for a pine drawbridge surrounded by cage traps 2 tile thick and weapon traps filled with green glass spiked balls and serrated discs 1 tile thick. The rope reed production was exorbitant, with stacks upon stacks of cloth and plant and thread everywhere. I almost completed a shack, composed entirely of larch containing 2 farmers workshop and 2 looms, in which I would lock weavers and threshers with massive amounts of rope reed every harvest. Overall, it was awesome with many aesthetic touches and inevitably much wealth. However, I knew that I couldn't get rid of that rope reed fast enough, so I began working on pumping magma up to the surface to burn rope reed in mass. Obviously, an unkillable forgotten beast appeared and went down in 3 seconds as my entire military jumped on it, leading to the fort being put on hold until there's a fix. Edit: Wow, that paragraph makes no sense grammatically; I'm not even going to bother making it sound sensible.
My current fort is being sealed off from the surface with gold bridges, along with being sealed off from the caverns to avoid annoying unkillable forgotten beasts. Thinking about that, the fort is pretty pointless and I no longer expect it to last long in my interest  :-[.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 12:18:19 pm by Rakonas »

Faden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: April 05, 2010, 01:01:07 pm »

I was breeding my dogs to be gigantic barghests when the goblins attacked and killed them all!  :(
Next time I'll build more traps.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #1987 on: April 05, 2010, 01:33:46 pm »

So what's going on in my fort?  Hilarity.

A fox just dashed straight through my fort entrance, past the elven traders, and attempted to steal a plump helmet from what I could see.  I locked the doors and gave my military a kill order on it.  There is now a fox running in circles around my workshop level, pursued by a marksdwarf with no bolts, a pikedwarf with no spear, and a swordsdwarf who is clumsy and has poor kinesthetic sense.

This should be entertaining  ;D

EDIT: A random carpenter caught it and strangled it when it interrupted her constructing a door  :D
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 01:39:13 pm by bmaczero »
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: April 05, 2010, 01:47:47 pm »

Hi!

I am currently doing a small fortress without invasions to do some testing with trap efficiency (I will either allow invasions or simply dig down once I want to get the real test).

The fortress itself is around slow growth and lots of engraving.

As for things beyond my control:

I got two moods, both successful. But each mode just created an item worth 4,800 (^_^;;

Thanks to the pack animals pretending to be trucks, I have a nice little community of tame animals roaming around (I am currently waiting for a dwarf to put in the last piece of the fence for my first statue garden/meeting area - 6 years into the fortress (^_^;;)

Those animals are really awesome, and this is the reason why I took a break to log in: I just got a combat report, so I checked the reports. It was a fight between a wild mountain goat and a tiger. The combat report already included the finishing move: The tiger ripped off the goat's head. So, now there is a mutilated goat corpse lying next to a goat head.

Now, I really feel as if I have some tigers there. Wow.

Deathworks

MooUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: April 05, 2010, 01:51:27 pm »

My second DF2010 fortress seems to be coming along. Except for the goblins just wiping out my entire military, which was one quarter of my population. Probably doesn't help that desite having a population of 33 (after the deaths, 45 earlier) I still am not able to appoint an arsenal dwarf, so they were probably lacking in equipment. The last surviving soldier just received a pike through the head from a bored goblin spearman.

Defences are locked down, civilians are resricted to my main fortress burrow - and I think I need a new military...

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: April 05, 2010, 02:03:27 pm »

Hi!

That is odd. I have something around 25 dwarves, and the arsenal dwarf is offered in the nobles menu (although I have not appointed him or the other two military positions (^_^;; ). Is it gone because of the death of the previous one or did it simply not show up?

Deathworks

MooUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: April 05, 2010, 02:33:51 pm »

It didn't show up. It has now I've lost all my military.

Oh, continuing the above: I accidentally let the goblins into my fort (I thought they'd gone). My dogs took down a few, I drafted all my miners to take out the rest of the bowmen - but there was one goblin spearman who I couldn't hurt at all. He eventually fled when the season changed.

I'm down to 30 dwarves, and ten of those are hospitallised. I have one dog and some puppies.

And my leader just went berserk and started punching my woodcutter. Who promptly sliced his arm off, then sliced his body in two.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: April 05, 2010, 04:25:46 pm »

Just had Sigun the blacksmith finish Rithallas, "Bellsea", a tin battle axe encrusted with kimberlite and encircled with bands of tin.

And the dead shruk (modded race) are being processed into supply of training bolts for the brave few who defend Emenshorast.

I wish this fort would be in 0.31 version, though. Oh well!
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Wyvern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: April 05, 2010, 05:00:16 pm »

Here's what's happening in my fort.

First, an Ettin suddenly showed up, to great fanfare.  At which point I realized that over the past two years, I had been so fixated on trying to make sense of the various new mechanics that I had neglected to seal my main entrance with doors.  And, my primary mason having died in a ceiling collapse (which was entirely my fault) a few months before, my stoneworking industry had been lagging and I had no doors.  I frantically tried to set up a wall and build some wooden doors while the beast smashed through a floodgate (flooding my farm) and obliterated by trade depot, but I couldn't get it done fast enough.

I set up an emergency burrow in the back of the fort and send my military to guard the main entrance immediately!  Except of the six of them, something like four are asleep and one more is like a million miles away, so I have one speardwarf and like twenty dogs duking it out with this Ettin.  Except I never managed to get my military to do one frigging day of training because of how broken the new military currently is, so even the one who's fighting is a novice.  At one point he landed a single punch (I don't know why, since he had a spear) and instantly shot up to Elite Wrestling.

Eventually, the Ettin goes down (mostly to the dogs), and the brave soldier goes off to the hospital with a broken wrist.  A dwarven caravan arrives, but my depot is gone, so they're just sitting out on the edge of the map.  I send people out to rebuild the depot and get that wall built, but like ten seconds later, goblins suddenly appear!  I desperately recall my civilians and send what remains of my military back out, but things are looking grim.  The ranged goblins distract the 2-3 soldiers that actually answered the call while a goblin axeman with a halberd blows through the front line and starts butchering everybody.  Everything got kind of hazy after that, but at one point, I could only spot three soldiers: one was unconscious, and both of the other two had had their weapon-holding arms chopped off.  Then a second squad of goblins appeared.

My fortress is pretty much done for at this point.  I set up a new burrow recalling whatever survivors I can find to the underground crypt...most of them can't make it past the halberdier in the dining room.  Then I draft about 3/4 of them into unarmed militia and station them at the ramp.  My only hope is to order my last surviving miner to tunnel miles below the surface of the earth and seal my surviving dwarves down there to start a new society of subterranean molepeople while the dreaded goblin halberdier cuts the meatshields down in droves.

Fortunately, the goblins turned their attention to the distant caravan at this point.  All of them except the halberdier go off to engage them and get slaughtered.  Apparently the halberdier hears about it and flees from the region.  My population has gone from about 56 to 27, with almost all of my most skilled dwarves dead (apart from the legendary armorsmith, who just barely survived, being taken by a strange mood and running upstairs like five seconds before the last goblin left).

I'd try to rebuild anyway, except my mayor/manager/broker/whatever else died and I can't refill the positions because of the bug.

gislegron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: April 05, 2010, 05:55:01 pm »

A insane one humpoed camel is currently refusing to die as i find it very hard to equip my military with weapons...

Im astounded at how hard it is to kill without weapons in 2010
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 3842