Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1316 1317 [1318] 1319 1320 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6097325 times)

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #19755 on: February 22, 2012, 11:04:23 pm »

My legendary engraver just engraved "MUST" horizontally along my trap-lined corridor. I'm thoroughly spooked D:

if it makes you feel better. in sweden "must" is a beverage.
 I know that it is the early stage of wine making in many cultures but we call that stuff "druvmust" which means "grape must" ... you might be able to get your hands on the widely-sold christmas or easter must beverages "julmust / påskmust" in a foreign country.

Perhaps your dwarf is aware of this? :) he's just thirsty 's all
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19756 on: February 23, 2012, 12:29:02 am »

Hopefully :D My booze stocks have been shaky of late! Thanks for the information, I feel sincerely more culturally aware now :P

Silvertrumpets just utterly annihilated a goblin siege. A body count of those dead on the ground reveals around 30, and another 33 are trapped in a drowning chamber awaiting execution. This is out of the 70 goblins who besieged me.

And for the first time in its history, the fortress of Silvertrumpets was penetrated by goblin hands! There were 6 squads: speargoblins, macegoblins, and two bowgoblin squads, as well as 2 tumults of trolls. How I hate bowgoblins, who pierce my masterwork steel armor with their shoddy iron bolts! One of the bowgoblin squads, along with the general of the Little Witch (Which is the goblin civilization) walked straight into my drowning chamber. The general, Zolak, was a dwarf. Obviously he must have been new on the job, as the goblins were very weary of his leadership. As soon as the goblins realized they had been lead into the trap they slaughtered Zolak, who was a mere fisherdwarf. I wonder what I'll do for his burial... I think I'll toss him to deal with the eternal wrath of Armok in the belly of the world.

The squad itself is still in there, several are mounted on elk birds and a few on giant toads. I'm extremely grateful to have them captured and out of the way, though with their still wandering about the siege ticker remains despite my total victory otherwise.

The pillbox design that served me ludicrously well during the first siege once again proved its extreme worth during this battle. 12 goblin corpses lay all around the pillbox, in varying states of halted retreat. I did, unfortunately, lose yet another marksdwarf... though I have nobody but myself to blame for his death, since he was part of a rapid response squad that was not designed to handle outright combat. Oh well. Down to 10 marksdwarves!

As I chuckled to myself at the stupidity of the goblins who were being stuck through and through with my masterwork Forgotten Beast and Steel bolts, I began receiving messages of various jobs being interrupted. I zoom in to see what the problem is... and notice that part of the drowning chamber (which had been built almost to completion in the year and a half since the last siege) breached the surface. That meant that the goblins had a clear shot at getting straight down into my fortress. They had only to descend the stairs and walk through a few corridors before they would reach the depot, just below which lied my 100 busy-working, defenseless dwarves.

Well, when I say defenseless I mean they individually are not prone to combat. My militia, however, was stationed as it always is during sieges right in the depot. Even as close as it was to the new threat, a few dwarves had ran into the upper drowning chamber that had released on some stupid errand or other. One of them, who was a part of my fortress guard, was chased outside by a maceman and promptly pulped. Another, a legendary woodcutter who'd created an outright elvish artifact, ran outside and was gunned down by the elite crossbowman who'd now shown up leading the second bowgoblin squad.

At this point the squad of trolls had beaten down first the front door to my aforementioned trap corridor, and were proceeding to the second, while simultaneously the other troll squad was tearing down another door that lead to the upper hills, around the same area where the goblins exploited the breach. Once both doors were smashed the bowgoblin squad was able to join up with the trolls, and the goblins proceeded towards the breach. By this point, however, my militia had poured out from it, and from there things were a mess of flying goblin bits and pieces. A few injuries were taken, as in any battle; My militia commander had his arms and legs both shot up and is now unable to walk or grasp, but there's no nerve damage so I think he'll heal. Another younger militia member was not so lucky, and he's now restricted to crutches.

Once the carnage subsided, I was able to slow down a moment and take in all that had happened. In total I lost about 5 dwarves during the battle, the only military casualties of which were the guard member and the militia captain of my rapid response unit. Though this siege was much grander in scale than the previous I certainly had a lot less casualties this time around. I think sending in my highly trained militia, instead of sending the marksdwarves to sit in the pillbox and mow baddies down, is a bit more effective.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19757 on: February 23, 2012, 12:42:10 am »

Good read. I imagined something like the battle of helms deep mixed with all quiet on the western front for some reason.
Hopefully :D My booze stocks have been shaky of late! Thanks for the information, I feel sincerely more culturally aware now :P

Silvertrumpets just utterly annihilated a goblin siege. A body count of those dead on the ground reveals around 30, and another 33 are trapped in a drowning chamber awaiting execution. This is out of the 70 goblins who besieged me.

And for the first time in its history, the fortress of Silvertrumpets was penetrated by goblin hands! There were 6 squads: speargoblins, macegoblins, and two bowgoblin squads, as well as 2 tumults of trolls. How I hate bowgoblins, who pierce my masterwork steel armor with their shoddy iron bolts! One of the bowgoblin squads, along with the general of the Little Witch (Which is the goblin civilization) walked straight into my drowning chamber. The general, Zolak, was a dwarf. Obviously he must have been new on the job, as the goblins were very weary of his leadership. As soon as the goblins realized they had been lead into the trap they slaughtered Zolak, who was a mere fisherdwarf. I wonder what I'll do for his burial... I think I'll toss him to deal with the eternal wrath of Armok in the belly of the world.

The squad itself is still in there, several are mounted on elk birds and a few on giant toads. I'm extremely grateful to have them captured and out of the way, though with their still wandering about the siege ticker remains despite my total victory otherwise.

The pillbox design that served me ludicrously well during the first siege once again proved its extreme worth during this battle. 12 goblin corpses lay all around the pillbox, in varying states of halted retreat. I did, unfortunately, lose yet another marksdwarf... though I have nobody but myself to blame for his death, since he was part of a rapid response squad that was not designed to handle outright combat. Oh well. Down to 10 marksdwarves!

As I chuckled to myself at the stupidity of the goblins who were being stuck through and through with my masterwork Forgotten Beast and Steel bolts, I began receiving messages of various jobs being interrupted. I zoom in to see what the problem is... and notice that part of the drowning chamber (which had been built almost to completion in the year and a half since the last siege) breached the surface. That meant that the goblins had a clear shot at getting straight down into my fortress. They had only to descend the stairs and walk through a few corridors before they would reach the depot, just below which lied my 100 busy-working, defenseless dwarves.

Well, when I say defenseless I mean they individually are not prone to combat. My militia, however, was stationed as it always is during sieges right in the depot. Even as close as it was to the new threat, a few dwarves had ran into the upper drowning chamber that had released on some stupid errand or other. One of them, who was a part of my fortress guard, was chased outside by a maceman and promptly pulped. Another, a legendary woodcutter who'd created an outright elvish artifact, ran outside and was gunned down by the elite crossbowman who'd now shown up leading the second bowgoblin squad.

At this point the squad of trolls had beaten down first the front door to my aforementioned trap corridor, and were proceeding to the second, while simultaneously the other troll squad was tearing down another door that lead to the upper hills, around the same area where the goblins exploited the breach. Once both doors were smashed the bowgoblin squad was able to join up with the trolls, and the goblins proceeded towards the breach. By this point, however, my militia had poured out from it, and from there things were a mess of flying goblin bits and pieces. A few injuries were taken, as in any battle; My militia commander had his arms and legs both shot up and is now unable to walk or grasp, but there's no nerve damage so I think he'll heal. Another younger militia member was not so lucky, and he's now restricted to crutches.

Once the carnage subsided, I was able to slow down a moment and take in all that had happened. In total I lost about 5 dwarves during the battle, the only military casualties of which were the guard member and the militia captain of my rapid response unit. Though this siege was much grander in scale than the previous I certainly had a lot less casualties this time around. I think sending in my highly trained militia, instead of sending the marksdwarves to sit in the pillbox and mow baddies down, is a bit more effective.

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19758 on: February 23, 2012, 01:04:22 am »

I'm honestly a bit flustered right now, I don't know what to do with that whole squad of mounted bowgoblins. The massive amounts of carnage in the water storage chamber that precedes the proper drowning chamber make it so that I can't actually just drown the goddamn things... I first have to have all my haulers move all the stuff at least away from the breach in the wall before I can be sure there won't be and chilling out in there while it's filling in preparation for its final destination.

Maybe I should try and lure them all into cage traps. That would be excellent fun, I would be thrilled if I could get a good stock of cattle for my sadly unused arena. The only action it's seen of late is the two trolls chilling on the drop bridge waiting for my military to get off alert on the surface so they can meet their end.

Also, a short while prior to the siege I got the wild idea into my head to create a doomsday lever in my fortress. It isn't complete yet, but it's basically just a plumbing system from hell: One pull of the lever and water pours into the upper parts of the fortress from every direction. Of course it would probably be a thousand times more amusing if I used a huge, pressurized reservoir instead of the babbling little brook that's on my map...

In addition to that, I've started using all the iron spears my training weaponsmith is creating in a huge pit of death beneath my throne hall. The throne hall itself is a long bridge over a 3 or 4 z drop that ends in a statue and overall memorial hall to the deeds of Silvertrumpets. It's not quite complete yet (there's no actual throne) but underneath the throne area is the lever that will be capable of destroying the fortress, and a huge goddamn stockpile of coins for no reason other than I want to have a treasure room :D

Also the coins are made of lead cause I'm a cheap bastard.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19759 on: February 23, 2012, 01:09:19 am »

I hit a metaphorical motherload.

Just enough soil for production and farm space
No aquifer
Flux
Iron ore out the ass
Trees everywhere.

This area is plotting against me, I know it.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19760 on: February 23, 2012, 01:30:55 am »

In my dwarven fort, I have a dwarf who likes elves for their grace.  I didn't know they could like that.   How should I kill him?

In my elven fort, I just slaughtered another dwarven siege.  You'd think they'd get the message, but they are dwarves after all.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19761 on: February 23, 2012, 01:52:40 am »

Macedwarves are busily training when I get the anouncment Urist McNoskill has become a marksdwarf.

I'm struggling to grasp how maces and crossbows are related.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19762 on: February 23, 2012, 03:12:31 am »

Macedwarves are busily training when I get the anouncment Urist McNoskill has become a marksdwarf.

Hunter?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19763 on: February 23, 2012, 03:16:19 am »

Hunter?

No weapon expierience of any kind. One of the other two was a novice hunter/marksdwarf and a zombie slaying macedwarf. The other was  just a macedwarf who now has a single elf merchant on his kill list. He just domed him from behind while they were unloading.

Thier horses were then made into food for dorfs and the hides into leather.
Much rejoicing was had.

EDIT: And a child nicknamed runt just made a chestnut toy axe with some of my fucking pig iron as studs and bands. I swear if he lives to adult hood he's becomeing a pikedwarf as punishment.

Might project spartan his ass for wasting steel-making materials.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19764 on: February 23, 2012, 03:39:57 am »

Hunter?

No weapon expierience of any kind. One of the other two was a novice hunter/marksdwarf and a zombie slaying macedwarf. The other was  just a macedwarf who now has a single elf merchant on his kill list. He just domed him from behind while they were unloading.

Much rejoicing was had.

EDIT: And a child nicknamed runt just made a chestnut toy axe with some of my fucking pig iron as studs and bands. I swear if he lives to adult hood he's becomeing a pikedwarf as punishment.

Go in the workshop item list, forbid the pig iron, then immediately unforbid it, when he is working on his artifact. No more pig iron use.

Hell this way you can even have an artifact with a single material. If you forbid them all though, the dwarf will go insane.

Relee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19765 on: February 23, 2012, 03:58:15 am »

An imprisoned vampire was elected mayor. When the vampire was released, she killed again, and she's in prison again. I don't know if she can do her duties in prison. On the other hand, the outpost liason was killed by goblin ambushers, so she didn't have the chance to try.
- Relee the Squirrel --

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #19766 on: February 23, 2012, 04:24:24 am »

Can't generate large worlds anymore after some minor modding of every creature in the game (worldgen crashes on site finalization.) Forced to use medium or less, and less than 100 years of history. It's horrible! Where the hell did my computer's competency go!?

I'm embarking on evil tundras now. Almost miss the old werewolves. Very simply a werewolf, and nothing more. Absolutely terrifying, though.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19767 on: February 23, 2012, 04:37:59 am »

Hunter?

Much rejoicing was had.

Go in the workshop item list, forbid the pig iron, then immediately unforbid it, when he is working on his artifact. No more pig iron use.

Hell this way you can even have an artifact with a single material. If you forbid them all though, the dwarf will go insane.

What's done is done. he'll be tolerated for now.
Kobld plauges the fort. 75% have escaped, but a fishery worker who turned out to be an unsquadded macedwarf, just bludgeoned one to a bloody pulp. he has been assigned to lead a mix of a Pikedwarf, marksdwarf (The first in my fort. Gonna need bolts), and a knife user, using the new iron knife we just got.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19768 on: February 23, 2012, 04:39:06 am »

Okay, got a seriously ‼Fun‼ embark last time.
Starting seven and their little dog, too, killed in ~15 min. by Giant Sparrow corpses.
The zombified dog had its entrails hanging out. Lovely stuff.
Also, the vegetation was >99% dead staring eyeballs and dead dense knotgrass.
Surprisingly, the "Evil mist" that paid a visit only made the dorfs temporatily nauseated and disoriented.

> Your settlement has crumbled to its end.

Maybe a less terrifying embark this time...
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

NinjaBoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19769 on: February 23, 2012, 05:34:04 am »

I screwed up my mini-waterfall system inside my dining room! :O

Figured I'd give my dwarves a nice shower while they ate/partied, but it kinda flooded the room a bit and spoiled all the food and created a nice huge miasma cloud! :(
Pages: 1 ... 1316 1317 [1318] 1319 1320 ... 3842