Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1314 1315 [1316] 1317 1318 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6097190 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #19725 on: February 22, 2012, 05:04:49 pm »

There is a god in my base, what should I do with it?

Humans came to trade, and brought their Law-Giver, who happens to also be one of their gods. 

From Legends:
Pimra is a deity that occurs in the myths of The Kingdoms of Cremation. Pimra is most often depicted as a human and is associated with beauty.

Now I checked the history of the human civ and it shows its leader as a Demon named Gicast Sheenbait.  I am assuming that this Pimra is the same, but its history isn't saying that it pretended to be the god Pimra.  If it is the Demon then it also killed a Dwarven God in history, so I may need to get my retribution.

Capture it. If it's a demon then from the depths it came and to the depths it shall return. Hold it in the bowels of your fortress and laugh at the pitiful humans, their god belongs to you.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19726 on: February 22, 2012, 05:06:40 pm »

Goblin siege ongoing, but they run away from my dwarves on their stupid mounts. Anyone else running into this issue?

That's a known problem with some mounts I think.  The mounts are scared of dwarves, but the goblins aren't.  Much Fun is had when the goblins have bows, because the mounts keep them out of melee range while they shoot your dwarves dead.

Solution?  Not sure, honestly.  I try to keep my militia inside my walls and shoot them through fortifications.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19727 on: February 22, 2012, 05:07:04 pm »

Dear ghost of a random Elf.

Why did you fall asleep on a serrated disc trap?

It was difficult to clean up.

Sencerely,

The cleaning crew.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19728 on: February 22, 2012, 05:10:01 pm »

Rutherers. Whatever that is, they are very hard to chase down with injured, tired dwarves.

Calech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19729 on: February 22, 2012, 06:11:24 pm »

For some inexplicable reason, the hole in the ground that my dwarves have dug seems to be quite the tourist attraction.

After using the elves and humans to dispose of the second-hand clothing left by goblin and kobold tourists, the humans liked it so much they stayed till late autumn. As soon as they started leaving, the dwarven caravan and liason turned up. And so did a human diplomat. And now there's a giant eyeless tick that has a reputation as a Marsh Titan too.

But worst of all, the dwarves just won't stop breeding - hit 225 population and only about half of that is adults! I now see why vampires were introduced to the game - population control...

(edit) Oh, and that Titan's tagline includes 'Beware its fire!'. The map is covered with vegetation, so this is definitely going to be interesting...

(edit 2) Okay, maybe a little more anticlimactic than expected. The law-giver (who was depressingly non-demonic, just a regular human) was last seen running off the map on fire. The Titan then appears at my entrance, lobs a couple of balls of flame that completely miss everything, and one of my Hammer Lords smashes its skull in with a single kick.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 06:24:37 pm by Calech »

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #19730 on: February 22, 2012, 07:09:27 pm »

I don't have nearly enough coffins at the moment.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Portalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19731 on: February 22, 2012, 07:40:34 pm »

This is going to end so, so badly.

I'm going to embark into a terrifying zone for the first time.

Much Fun will be had.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19732 on: February 22, 2012, 07:47:47 pm »

Currently building a chapel to the Blood God, since it will be a brass throne on a pyramid of black stone, to be littered with bones, skulls, skeletons and blood. (not that Khorne and Armok are very different, as it seems) Will try to engrave the small part that is natural dark stone with histories of violence.

Surrounding the pyramid is a square, 1-tile-wide and deep holy basin. I still can't choose between filling it with blood or magma. And I obviously can't do both. WHICH LIQUID IS DWARFIER ? THE DILEMNA IS A TORTURE AARGH

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19733 on: February 22, 2012, 07:49:48 pm »

Giant sparrow feathers in fort everywhere help help

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19734 on: February 22, 2012, 07:50:55 pm »

Giant sparrow feathers in fort everywhere help help

time for mass dumping, or clean them with magma

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19735 on: February 22, 2012, 07:53:18 pm »

My bookkeeper, nicknamed Foot, for losing one at the first goblin ambush, has spent the past 3 years dragging himself to some far corner of the map, to grab the stuff he claimed from a dead goblin. He doesn't use crutches. I wonder why. He's only missing one foot, there's nothing wrong with his hands or mouth.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19736 on: February 22, 2012, 08:05:24 pm »

Found a rather nice location on the shore of a freshwater lake; deep and shallow metals, no aquifer, flat land and a hill covering about half the embark. As an added bonus, an offshoot of the lake forms a little fjord in one corner (if the refill rate of the lake will balance it out, I'm planning to set up a large power station there), and a collapsed cave in the middle of the lake that left multiple z-levels of funky marble walls sticking out of the water, which I'm planning on turning into either an engraved monument or a keep. Looks like this will be more like Dwarf Floating City, once I manage to either drain sections of the lake or work out scaffolding for a magma drop.

On the downside, the surface layers are pretty much all granite and marble, so while I do have cassiterite and tetrahedrite (also some galena), I'm going to have to do quite a bit of digging for iron. Also, no volcano, so I have to work for my magma, and no river, so I have to work for power generation. If limited draining of the lake doesn't work, I may try to figure out a perpetual flow circuit.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19737 on: February 22, 2012, 08:25:41 pm »

There is a god in my base, what should I do with it?

Humans came to trade, and brought their Law-Giver, who happens to also be one of their gods. 

From Legends:
Pimra is a deity that occurs in the myths of The Kingdoms of Cremation. Pimra is most often depicted as a human and is associated with beauty.

Now I checked the history of the human civ and it shows its leader as a Demon named Gicast Sheenbait.  I am assuming that this Pimra is the same, but its history isn't saying that it pretended to be the god Pimra.  If it is the Demon then it also killed a Dwarven God in history, so I may need to get my retribution.  Okay, I can now confirm its the Demon.  Apparently Legend Viewer isn't a 100% match with Dwarf Fortress Legend mode.  It is a demon pretending to be a god.

Huh, the humans sent a god to my fort too...it's a great three-eyed badger that murmurs horrible curses.  Great choice for a diplomat.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #19738 on: February 22, 2012, 08:37:34 pm »

Construction on the walls is going smoothly; goblin theives have also lightened up.

This is a bad, bad sign. Ambushes are coming soon, and I'm not ready to fight them off yet. I lack weapons, and I lack the metal to make any.

I pray the humans bring enough iron, steel, or even bronze. War is coming, I can feel it in my bones.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19739 on: February 22, 2012, 08:41:10 pm »

Seems buzzards have a deathwish at this fortress.
Got about a dozen dead ones courtesy of my training crew and dogs, plus a dead eagle.
Pages: 1 ... 1314 1315 [1316] 1317 1318 ... 3842