Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1302 1303 [1304] 1305 1306 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6096442 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #19545 on: February 20, 2012, 08:17:10 pm »

My reasoning for that is that I never have forts live long enough to get named weapons.
Would be a shame for an axe to no longer have it's legend continued.

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19546 on: February 20, 2012, 08:29:09 pm »

Aye. I handed the axe off to Obok's husband, Stukos. (Obok was a wife and mother, by the way, of 3 children :L)

He's well on his way to becoming an axelord himself. I am expecting a siege within two months, since it is mid-winter. With any luck Asitsonor and its wielder Kubuk will lead the memory of Obok in battle to the favor of Armok.

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19547 on: February 20, 2012, 08:33:34 pm »

Setting up my well.

Problem: the map is flat and it's in a marsh.  So even the river is stagnant which means pumping is in order.  But since the map is flat I had to start the fort by channeling into the earth rather than digging into a hill, so the first level of the fort is below the surface of the river.  This mean I need to monitor pumping very closely, or else I'll flood the fort.  I also have to put a wall around the pump outtake, if I pump right from one of the murky pools into an exposed hole, (since everything is stagnant, I have a tunnel connecting the pool to the river to keep it full), it splashes all over the ground and gets all stagnant again.  But I believe I have all the engineering worked out, I just have to build the thing and we'll have a good supply of fresh water.  Long term plans is to build surface defenses and fortifications, and the pumping station will have to be worked into the plans, but I foresee no major problems.  I just love the !FUN! of playing with water in this game....

I'm also due for a new migrant wave.  So far, the waves seem to consist of extended families, and usually the migrants are nearly always married.  On the upside, it means I need less beds overall, on the downside, these big dorf families run a bigger risk of tantrum spiraling.  I'm fairly certain Toady did this deliberately because of players tossing lye/soap/cheese makers/dissectors into death traps.

Also, the carp on my map are mysteriously dying for no readily apparent reason.  Three on the dead list.  Nothing's fighting them.  Since these are carp, it has me a bit worried.  Let's hope it's something simple like old age, and not a harbinger of a greater threat.  This is not an evil biome though so maybe it won't be a problem at all.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19548 on: February 20, 2012, 08:36:13 pm »

Setting up my well.

Problem: the map is flat and it's in a marsh.  So even the river is stagnant which means pumping is in order.  But since the map is flat I had to start the fort by channeling into the earth rather than digging into a hill, so the first level of the fort is below the surface of the river.  This mean I need to monitor pumping very closely, or else I'll flood the fort.  I also have to put a wall around the pump outtake, if I pump right from one of the murky pools into an exposed hole, (since everything is stagnant, I have a tunnel connecting the pool to the river to keep it full), it splashes all over the ground and gets all stagnant again.  But I believe I have all the engineering worked out, I just have to build the thing and we'll have a good supply of fresh water.  Long term plans is to build surface defenses and fortifications, and the pumping station will have to be worked into the plans, but I foresee no major problems.  I just love the !FUN! of playing with water in this game....

I'm also due for a new migrant wave.  So far, the waves seem to consist of extended families, and usually the migrants are nearly always married.  On the upside, it means I need less beds overall, on the downside, these big dorf families run a bigger risk of tantrum spiraling.  I'm fairly certain Toady did this deliberately because of players tossing lye/soap/cheese makers/dissectors into death traps.

Also, the carp on my map are mysteriously dying for no readily apparent reason.  Three on the dead list.  Nothing's fighting them.  Since these are carp, it has me a bit worried.  Let's hope it's something simple like old age, and not a harbinger of a greater threat.  This is not an evil biome though so maybe it won't be a problem at all.
Your carp are dying because they're getting sucked towards the part of the river where water leaves the map and gets too shallow to breathe.
You should also put your well somewhere else, most rivers are stagnant in bends if you look at the river bottom with k some places should be stagnant but some shouldn't.

I love marshes, I remember all these thigns.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #19549 on: February 20, 2012, 08:38:21 pm »

Started a fort and one of my civilization's deities is named Togal the God-forsaken Wisp-Grip. Appropriately, perhaps, he is associated with dreams and nightmares.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19550 on: February 20, 2012, 08:47:22 pm »

Your carp are dying because they're getting sucked towards the part of the river where water leaves the map and gets too shallow to breathe.
You should also put your well somewhere else, most rivers are stagnant in bends if you look at the river bottom with k some places should be stagnant but some shouldn't.

I love marshes, I remember all these thigns.

So the game is simply naturally air-drowning them?  This is a good thing.

I'm going to go ahead and build the puming station anyway, since I want to learn how to manage different methods of building water supplies.  Up to now, I've just been digging into the side of rivers and crudely controlling it with floodgates.  There will be times where I may need to pump water so I'll need to learn how to do it right.

Oh yes, I need to set up a carp-safe fishing area too.  If I wall off a portion of river, and put floor grates over it, I should be able to set the grated area as a fishing zone, and fisherdwarves should be able to fish through the grates, right? 
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 08:49:43 pm by orius »
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #19551 on: February 20, 2012, 09:13:00 pm »

Observation of the day : Dwarves like to live their life in an incredibly dangerous and completely lethal way.

I was embarking near a volcano.
Decided to experiment with the lava flow and nearby water, so i got a miner to dig a hole in the flank of the volcano and watched the lava coming out of that breach, and slowly expanding on the ground in direction of the brook.

And i noticed that the dwarves  decided they should walk -exactly- next to the lava tiles, no safety distance, that may not be corresponding to the dwarven way of life, no, no, no, instead they walked exactly next to each lava tiles

As the lava lake was always expanding, each lava infested tile expanding to the nearby tiles each 2 or 3 seconds, as a result the "Dead/Missing" list was increasing itself rather quickly, with each dwarves getting regularly caught in the lava, with some short lived smoke and fire hinting at what happened.

And thus the experiment ended when the last dwarf after witnessing how his colleagues ended decided to do the same exact thing.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19552 on: February 20, 2012, 09:28:13 pm »

Some soot finally charged at my bunker.

I brought all my buns inside OFC, but I think the bunker's walls & roof has deflected this soot.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Maybe I won't need to hoard them inside anymore.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19553 on: February 20, 2012, 09:33:53 pm »

My first fortress of .02 is still going fairly well (although slowing down FPS-wise). Got a big population, probably around 150 or so dwarves, a lot of them babies and children, since the dwarves are now baby-factories.

Of course, I also keep losing some steadily to vampirism. I had two vampires for a good bit, one a marksman, the other a military dwarf/my mayor. The mayor eventually got killed off in battle (and a non-vampire took the helm for a change!), but then I ended up with three or four new vampires coming in, in further migrant waves. -_-

I've seen a few dwarves now and then suddenly show up all pale and faint, so some of my vampires at least have some restraint, but the one that's been in my fort longest is getting a bit sloppy (although that might be from lack of restraint from hunger, after he comes out of prison). He's now starting off a 200-day stint in prison this time, after his latest victim. It's usually easy to tell who does the killing now, since the fort is getting crowded with potential witnesses... and barring someone actually seeing the act, it's usually easy to tell, by who's standing around trying to look innocent while pointing an accusing finger at, say, a camel. My favorite thus far has been the sole accusation of a buck rabbit. Apparently I have Bunnicula stalking the halls of my fortress...

Other than the vampires, things are going... partly good, partly bad. Generally good, but I have lost two so far out of my starting seven dwarves. The starting farmer was lost to vampirism, while my starting bookkeeper ended up drowning, after I accidentally caved through a floor while having him channel, and dropped him a couple Z-levels down into the water in the caverns. Oops.

My first squad captain (not from my original seven, but from one of the first migrant waves) is also in bad shape, alas. He's having to crawl around places now, since he can't walk and has no crutch. Why? Because after he got injured and was being treated, he suddenly got THIS TOTALLY AWESOME IDEA for an artifact leather shield, and just had to drag himself bodily up to the leather workshop to make it, without waiting for the doctors to finish with him. And now he won't go back for more treatment. Silly dwarf.

I also might have to figure out what's up with wagon access now - I moved my Trade Depot to the outside area, since the wagons couldn't make it to the depot underground (I make my hallways and entrance and such two spaces wide). So I have the area walled in with fortifications, but with four openings three spaces wide. But the last caravan to show up gave the message that the wagons were bypassing it again due to no access. *le sigh* I'll hope it was just a glitch... I really don't want to open up my defenses even more.

Other than that, the digging and such goes pretty well. I'm still working on getting enough underground pastures so that the various critters don't fight and don't out-eat the growth. I'd also love to get a female tame echidna to match the male one I bought off an early caravan, and see if they lay eggs for collection. I'm also drowning in shells, since my map has mussels AND turtles AND occasionally armadillos. I had a lack of bones though, due to not too many larger prey for my hunters, but now that the caverns are at least partly open I'm seeing a few more.

I also will be starting the fighting off in my arena soon, since I have a couple captive Elk Birds, a couple weasels, and a spare goblin spearman from the thus far only siege I've seen on this map. I also have two captive minotaurs, one in my zoo, the other sitting around in the animal stockpile waiting for me to find a use for it. Maybe I should put the vampires all in one squad and introduce him to them in the arena.... hmmm....

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19554 on: February 20, 2012, 09:34:30 pm »

carts... are wonderful. 5 carts just came in (plus normal merchants). Once upon a time you could buy out entire caravans with a single stack of quarry bush roasts. Now I keep having to pull out more and more food to give these guys. I think it's probably somewhere around *50,000 or so, including no less than 20 steel anvils to melt down, and plenty of extra steel and bronze weaponry and armor to expand my troops. Yay.

No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19555 on: February 20, 2012, 09:38:43 pm »

Back in Limulunnos, we just used bins of stone crafts. It was just too easy to buy the whole caravan when we had 50-60+ bins of crafts worth about 5k each.
Then when we had finished clothing the army in cotton candy, we started making adamantine crafts. Yes, idiotic, I know, but I had no other use for them and I had a huge road made from adamantine and platinum that went over the Monarch's requirement by 4x.

A single craft was worth huge amounts. :D

Nowadays, in this new one, which I can't remember the name, we haven't had a caravan yet. We're making mechanisms because they're pretty expensive.

Burmalay

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for my English
    • View Profile
« Reply #19556 on: February 20, 2012, 09:56:36 pm »

What is going on in my fort?

Everything was well until Lorbam Isanzefon the Expedition Leader is jumped off into waterfall =/
Then another one and another...
And another!!!
Now I have 8 suicide-dorfs & 1 outpost liaison!
The last one is jumped into waterfall after conversation with my EL who was decided kill himself too & they just jump off into waterfall together hand in hand...
What is wrong with them?

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #19557 on: February 20, 2012, 10:03:30 pm »

I think you're having the same waterfall suicidal dwarf problem as i had there :
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=100946.msg2992067

The explanation may be that for some insane dwarf reason the dwarves are trying to walk on the tile that is exactly near the waterfall instead of a much safer zone (anywhere else), and as the water may push them to the next tile, they find themselves falling down all the way

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #19558 on: February 20, 2012, 10:06:19 pm »

^^ That's it. The water by the edge of the waterfall is shallow enough for dwarves to path through, but strong enough to push them over the edge when they actually go there. You can probably clear up your problem with judicious use of traffic designations, maybe coupled with a bridge.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19559 on: February 20, 2012, 10:36:48 pm »

So, you know how dwarves get to embark with war dogs?

Well, elves get to embark with war grizzly bears.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.
Pages: 1 ... 1302 1303 [1304] 1305 1306 ... 3842