Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1297 1298 [1299] 1300 1301 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095965 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #19470 on: February 19, 2012, 10:11:48 pm »

So my Yaks were outside, and I was still concerned about them causing problems with my bunker fort.

Took them in and butchered it, now the hair is fighting back.
I'm not too worried, I'll take it outside the "evil" area and spin it, but it still seems wierd.

Axedwarfs slaughter it, chopping off ears, paws, tails left and right etc ...
Can hair really be so complicated?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I imagine it's like watching a man fight a malevolent bearskin rug.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19471 on: February 19, 2012, 10:24:09 pm »

So my Yaks were outside, and I was still concerned about them causing problems with my bunker fort.

I'm not too worried, I'll take it outside the "evil" area and spin it, but it still seems wierd.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I imagine it's like watching a man fight a malevolent bearskin rug.

Yea, sad thing is that bearskin rug just won. Fort out.

Not because the undead beat us, but all my dwarves were getting really unhappy and creeped out fighting the stuff.
So tantrum ahoy !!
If only I could have finished drilling that aquifer, I could have cheered 'em up.

Oh well. Next time I'll just let the yaks roam outside.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19472 on: February 19, 2012, 10:41:01 pm »

I can see how this could end very badly...

yak bull hair right rear leg corpse (undead)
yak bull hair right ear corpse (undead)
yak bull hair right front leg corpse (undead)
yak bull hair left front leg corpse (undead)
etc.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19473 on: February 19, 2012, 10:42:36 pm »

I can see how this could end very badly...

yak bull hair right rear leg corpse (undead)
yak bull hair right ear corpse (undead)
yak bull hair right front leg corpse (undead)
yak bull hair left front leg corpse (undead)
etc.
Those pieces stay dead, for something to be reanimated it has to be either the skeleton, skin, shell, or hair of something or have the [GRASP] tag.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19474 on: February 19, 2012, 10:46:55 pm »

If there's one thing I learned from the fort, its that you can deal with butchering/tanning/spinning in reanimating biomes.

However, you need a lot of dwarves to distribute the bad thoughts.
More than just the one-migrant-wave that I had.

I had 3 axedwarves that did just fine, but they got unhappy. Same thing with my militia.
So I'm guessing that if you butcher one animal per season, you need like 12+ military persons, not including the butchers/tanners/spinners.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19475 on: February 19, 2012, 11:06:59 pm »

Emu people came around, as did elves. Apparently something I tried to sell them had wood on it somewhere, so they left. That's a shame, because I really wanted those giant ravens they had. Those things would have been great to combat the giant wrens that have been terrorising the fort and wounding my dwarves.

And the giant flying squirrel... crap where did you come from. My military is going to be shambles really fast at this rate.

On the plus side, my chief medical dwarf Morul, while she's still crappy at her job, is extremely dilegent about attending to the military wounds.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19476 on: February 19, 2012, 11:13:08 pm »

Emu people came around, as did elves. Apparently something I tried to sell them had wood on it somewhere, so they left. That's a shame, because I really wanted those giant ravens they had. Those things would have been great to combat the giant wrens that have been terrorising the fort and wounding my dwarves.

And the giant flying squirrel... crap where did you come from. My military is going to be shambles really fast at this rate.

On the plus side, my chief medical dwarf Morul, while she's still crappy at her job, is extremely dilegent about attending to the military wounds.
Elves refused to trade with you... and you didn't immediately steal from them? I don't understand.

Beardless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19477 on: February 19, 2012, 11:32:19 pm »

My fort is being terrorized by an undead horse hair...

I know this is from like 10 pages back, but I cannot wait for the day my dwarves can make and play fiddles made with undead horsehair and catgut. (Fun fact: Modern bows still use real horsehair. Strings are usually nylon or steel though.) More fun undead instruments: giant badger bone flutes, tanned fire imp hide drums, harpsichords with elephant ivory keys...

Maybe they can start a little band.
So it turns out that dumping magma on skeletons is either a really bad idea or maybe like the best idea ever.

stonewall

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19478 on: February 19, 2012, 11:38:24 pm »

Sent my militia to chase down a snatcher, they make it to the edge and slay the critter when this happens: An elven caravan was just stricken by melancholy (mule included). One elf stabs the other, the mule kicks the attacker in the front teeth, shattering the bone and tearing the skull as you have it and the battle continues between one wounded elf and the ferocious donkey mule. My first thought would be to claim all that orphaned elven goodness, but I seem to have forgotten to seal of the mandatory beast pit, which i have just pitted two bears into. Yeah... they made it into the main dining area pretty much immediately.  :-\

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19479 on: February 19, 2012, 11:40:31 pm »

Armok is truly a good god! My new embark is a good grassland with an evil lake. The lake biome has zombies. Process that for a moment. I can butcher animals, tan hides, spin thread, even hunt animals completely normally but if I throw a dead body into the lake it will come back. From an invaders perspective the place is completely normal, the grass is lush, the trees are green, the animals are frolicking happilly... Then there's a distinct mechanical thud and without warning ZOMBIE-ATTACK UNICORNS! This is it, I have pleased the bloodgod with Realmclasps and he has given me to fill the void in .02 with Danglehelms.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19480 on: February 19, 2012, 11:43:48 pm »

So the dwarves have mastered quantum overlapping in the form of quantum stockpiles, they are able to change the physics of any object simply by making it into a wall (ice walls holding back magma!? a single pillar of soap holding up an entire city!?), they have defeated hell itself and conquered its depths, but they haven't invented a F***ING CONDOM!?

STOP HAVING CHILDREN! GOOD GOD THERE ARE SO MANY! AAAAAHHHH!!!
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19481 on: February 20, 2012, 12:20:36 am »

Silvertrumpets just repelled its first siege. About 70 goblins and their mounts came knocking, but thanks to my ingenious pillbox design I slaughtered about 30 of the invaders. Captured two trolls, who I threw down into the arena in celebration. They were mince-meat in seconds thanks to my well-trained soldiers.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #19482 on: February 20, 2012, 01:57:03 am »

Late spring, second year. Necromancer showed up with more zombies than my fortress had dwarves. Needless to say, I got curbstomped.

I'm guessing embarking near that tower was a bad idea?
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19483 on: February 20, 2012, 02:13:39 am »

A necromancer wandered into my booby-trapped hallway and lost both his arms. His apprentice reanimated the arms and torso over and over again until there was nothing left to reanimate.

The entrance to my fort is now strewn with fingers, ears, teeth, and socks, and someone is running around naked and babbling. The whole place looks like a scene from Scary Movie 3. I hope this doesn't negatively affect my property value.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19484 on: February 20, 2012, 02:18:30 am »

Apparently, my dwarves worship a deity of metal with no name. Time to have the order of .
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.
Pages: 1 ... 1297 1298 [1299] 1300 1301 ... 3842