Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1289 1290 [1291] 1292 1293 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6095013 times)

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #19350 on: February 18, 2012, 12:23:13 am »

I embarked on a 'major river' expecting a 14-20 tile river, im greeted by this monstrosity.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

wow.... for reference the brown square is the wagon.
I dare you to build a bridge...  out of metal bars

ill do it out of the most valuable metal i get, lacking a sufficiently valuable metal, adamantine. fuck it ill do the center stripe out of adamantine anyways.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19351 on: February 18, 2012, 01:46:49 am »

I've created a death factory. The well of unlife allows me to mass produce vampires, the chamber of reanimation can be used to create zombies, and as soon as I get ahold of a were-beast I'll be cranking those bad boys out too. I like to imagine the horrible undead abominations killing my mans trying to drive the ultimate evil out of their home.
Dwarf Fortress. Where filling your fort with horrors from beyond the grave is considered a good thing.
I believe we have a legend in the making here.

As for my current fort, I tried a less than Terrifying embark this time. (Yeah, I'm a wimpy little elf for that, I know. :( But I'd like to try a fort that lives past year one for a change, just to get my bearings straight in the new version...) Now setting up the basic workshops, farms etc. (boooooring!)
Note to Self: build outdoor barrcks with drawbridge access only for future vampires/werecreatures. I think I'll eschew building a roof over them, just to d█ck with the vamps... Alternate vamp-handling strategy involves entrance drawbridge pit w/upright menacing wooden spikes.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19352 on: February 18, 2012, 01:59:21 am »

A dwarf just got killed by a capybara.  It wasn't even a zombie.  Sigh.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

redrick_schu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19353 on: February 18, 2012, 03:07:44 am »

Just found a cavern that has a clay floor instead of the typical muddy one, thus everything is grassy, but the trees are standard underground mushroom trees. Walled off the entrances so no nasties can ruin this fantastic grassy underground paradise for my dwarfs. Also topside it's raining loathsome slime and the dead are walking about everywhere. God I love this embark.

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
  • Either a Doomsday Device or an Ice Cream maker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19354 on: February 18, 2012, 03:22:48 am »

I'm building my first waterwheel array that is powered by an underground lake rather than a brook or river. Big deal right?

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #19355 on: February 18, 2012, 03:43:14 am »

I nearly made my third mistake on my first embark in this dungeon - first was not embarking on evil biome, second was embarking in non-goblins area and I was very close to choosing embark without human/elves. Well anyways that fort prospered and despite 4 vamps I managed to caught and occasional were-beast raid I reached the population of 200. I even managed to survive dreadful Giant Mosquito Hordes (eventually they dropped from 170+ to 0). I was just about to start punching through the aquifer on the other side of the map in order to make a massive, glass roof statue garden few dozen z-layers bellow, when I decided to try a new embark.

Fearlessly, I embarked on 2x2 site with 1 square in terrifying biome.

And got promptly raped by Undead Giant Mosquito Hordes in my first few minutes.

In next fort a Forgotten Beast made out of SNOW managed to enter my irrigation tunnels and reach through the well one layer above and grab my only strand extractor. 
Who then politely bashed it's head in, needing only three strikes. Probably a vampire, yes. 
I also learned that mountains without ANY kind of metal/flux stone listed on embark site are, indeed, more devoid of metal than country music.

While I could, surprisingly, live with that as it meant more challenge, massive migrant waves (despite making exactly zero crafts/smoothing (ofcourse, then I remembered I already reached twinkly blue metal)), a lone berserk fish dissector and a fort full o elk birds on the loose due to unsealed cavern entrance just made me think of a new way to try and play DF.

I never before relied heavily on burrows, time to try some caste-oriented fort building!
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #19356 on: February 18, 2012, 04:02:46 am »

Mid-winter. We have enough booze, cave fish, meat and plants to last us for the rest of the year.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19357 on: February 18, 2012, 04:10:12 am »

Holy Crap! Elves just brought 3 pages worth of wood. Probably the most useful trade with the elves ever.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19358 on: February 18, 2012, 04:24:41 am »

I just had my Pike squad get some actual killing training, speaking of elves....

Went to convict a random dwarf of vampirism. Wasn't paying attention and convitced the kid who got sucked dry xD

Hoo boy where most of the dorfs pissed at me....

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19359 on: February 18, 2012, 05:43:59 am »

Paddleattics are still going or more like limping towards a great future. My lone dwarf had finally found the stones above the aquifer (and did I mention it was oceanside embark). The mule I've locked away has gone missing and actually became a zombie, several ghosts appeared, however they seem to be delicate enough not to bother poor Dumat. A family of migrants had arrived: potash maker, weaver and a child, sadly both picks turned out to be located inside my sealed hole so they couldn't make it into closest secondary burrow I've made for them. The child lasted longest.
Parents! Do not take your kids along if you go to zombie infested region in the wake of seven madmen who had never been heard about before!
update:
yay! population is up to a two! Of six dwarves of second wave one was running long enough for caravan guards to arrive and clean up a bit so I could safely let migrant in. I don't have depot and I can't leave fort unprotected so guests from mountainhomes are camping outside. There could be two more alive dwarves if expedition leader wasn't so lazy dickhead and had built a bridge a few moments earlier, but he didn't and dwarves that actually made it safe (well at least it was meant to be so) room got cornered by not so lucky ones from previous wave.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 06:30:39 am by Di »
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19360 on: February 18, 2012, 05:47:10 am »

Found the dwarf responisble. And found another ina migrant wave that actually saved a kid froma goblin snatcher. Both will be stuff into the danger room I'm building until they either get hit in the head and killed or are unstopably death machines to be unleashged on the goblins, simply because they have two of my exceptional rose gold flasks.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #19361 on: February 18, 2012, 07:01:47 am »

Mega gigantic tamtrum espiral going on, 35 dead till now.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Captain Mayhem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19362 on: February 18, 2012, 07:24:26 am »

Well...
Started out on a sinister(i think) glacier. The embark viewer said the only thing here was "ice". My last 5 forts fell to save corruption and/or zombies, so I brought a hammerdorf and a speardorf this round, two miners, craploads of plump helmet seeds and various foods and drinks. I even brought some wood and limestone for those initial necessities.

I completely forgot to bring any chickens. No soil to plant my seeds on. Apparently there are no zombies on this glacier, so the warriors are thus far useless. I haven't found any caverns, the first thing I hit while digging straight down was SMR. Still looking, hope there are any at all... If not, I'm probably boned.

Any tips on how to salvage this before my dorfs thirst/starve to death?

EDIT: Salvation! Found the third cavern by digging from below. Finally some farming can be done.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 07:45:06 am by Captain Mayhem »

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #19363 on: February 18, 2012, 07:32:14 am »

After losing my previous fort to a tantrum spiral that was decided to start when several goblin ambush squads were roaming the map, i went to a new embark.
Managed to get an embark that is 3/4 wilderness that looks like a lush haven and 1/4 sinister that ... is covered with :

Nothing bad will happen right ?
:D

« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 07:38:44 am by Robsoie »

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19364 on: February 18, 2012, 09:13:38 am »

Errie clouds and mists finally hit one of my cats that was way out there...

It came back, locked all 19 dwarfs in mortal combat (losing every single limp in the progress) and infected two more cats. Over the course of 3 months the virus/errie/blackeyes worked themselves upwards over cats, dogs, cows, mules, hitting dwarfs and crumbling my fort so hard every reclaim crashes DF itself.
Pages: 1 ... 1289 1290 [1291] 1292 1293 ... 3842