Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1265 1266 [1267] 1268 1269 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6100270 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #18990 on: February 14, 2012, 01:59:00 pm »

Apparently, flying creatures can attack from above if they are hovering exactly above the target. An undead eagle just bruised my swordsdwarf that way.

It's always been that way ;)

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18991 on: February 14, 2012, 02:00:22 pm »

Just embarked in a terrifying forest, not long after embarking a massive horde of giant mosquito corpses flew onto the map. one hundred and eleven of them to be precise. I got lucky and my dwarves were not the nearest target, they attacked a "giant sponge" instead, to my suprise they were unsuccessful, it turns out that sponges are not only great at soaking up water, but they can soak up some heavy damage as well (it does not seem to counter attack). It's been sitting there for several months now, successfully keeping the undead away from my fortress.

I wonder if sponges or undead can learn, if so, both the undead horde and the sponge must be legendary by now.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #18992 on: February 14, 2012, 02:01:28 pm »

Apparently, flying creatures can attack from above if they are hovering exactly above the target. An undead eagle just bruised my swordsdwarf that way.

It's always been that way ;)

It just never happened to me before.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18993 on: February 14, 2012, 02:03:04 pm »

Just got my first eerie mist...though I don't know what it does since it completely missed my dwarfs(even if I HADN'T ordered them underground!), so oh well, loving DF 2012(DFVD is a HORRIBLE name guys! DF does NOT have a venereal disease -_-) though I got brutally murdered 5 minutes into every adventure so far...

Edit: Got another cloud of mist, and this time my dorfs were caught in it. Looks like so far I lucked out and all it does is cause unconsciousness....
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 02:10:27 pm by tryrar »
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18994 on: February 14, 2012, 02:09:54 pm »

Bloody carp, another fort has been massacred by the undead. I can't even get evil mists/rain due to how fast I'm being swarmed. I'm just going to reclaim this last one with a soldier-only embark.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18995 on: February 14, 2012, 02:15:59 pm »

Bloody carp, another fort has been massacred by the undead. I can't even get evil mists/rain due to how fast I'm being swarmed. I'm just going to reclaim this last one with a soldier-only embark.

I tried doing that but I was killed by the same undead, the zombie citizens from the previous embark and the yak cows they brought along.

:(
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #18996 on: February 14, 2012, 02:20:21 pm »

Progress completely halted because one zombie turned into a gagillion zombie limbs thanks to an evil biome. THEY JUST WON'T STAY DEAD, and my dorfs are obviously too dumb to realize that the zombies can't reach them from the pit i dug. Ugh.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18997 on: February 14, 2012, 02:37:18 pm »

Freakish weather accost my dwarves (this cannot be good for mental health), goddamn undead wombats and chinchilas (sp?) and this annoying horned owl corpse. My dwarves have very low happiness due to changing from civ to military and back, in addition to disguisting sludge and attacks of undead - seems like I will have to have full-duty military (at least one) from beginning. With hammer to not make things worse.
About other comments about zombies : pulping implementation needed NAO.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

opsneakie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18998 on: February 14, 2012, 02:46:09 pm »

After a couple of failed hell-on-earth embarks (one of which was a glacier that snowed human blood!), I've settled for a volcanic one for now, in a more survivable area. It's a great map, and I'm working on getting my defenses moving. I've always been terrible at DF2010 military, but somehow having historical figure migrants really helps out with that kind of thing, since I can draft those who were in the military before they came to my fort, and they often have a number of kills and decent combat skills.

update: three goblin snatchers just got turned to pudding by the serrated glass disc traps. They're surprisingly effective, at least against unarmored enemies. I'm hoping they'll at least soften ambushes and sieges for my main force.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 02:51:29 pm by opsneakie »
Collosal bronze man
With titanic strides he comes
Dwarves he will harvest

DF Twitter

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18999 on: February 14, 2012, 02:48:05 pm »

My wounded are dying because every time someone steps outside to get water the rain wracks them with horrible humors and they run off to bed to rest, but not before coating every accessible surface with vomit.

orrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19000 on: February 14, 2012, 02:57:22 pm »

A swarm of giant mosquitoes showed up and dropped my FPS by about 60. There's 164 of them and they're just absently flying around right now. I pray they never descend.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19001 on: February 14, 2012, 03:07:15 pm »

New fort, managed to get everything in a hastly-dug room and sealed it with a drawbridge. Currently digging real fort in the stone. My 3 full-time soldiers have 6, 3 and 8 kills each. All hammerdorfs, since I don't want to multiply the undead.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19002 on: February 14, 2012, 03:13:03 pm »

One of my rangers has 17 pages of bone jewellery.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #19003 on: February 14, 2012, 03:25:33 pm »

A swarm of giant mosquitoes showed up and dropped my FPS by about 60. There's 164 of them and they're just absently flying around right now. I pray they never descend.
Do what i did, take off their [FLIER] tag while they're airborne. Sure they'll descend, but much faster than what's considered safe. :P (giant mosquito found in creature_bug_slug_new)
Also, i think they strain your CPU less when they're not buzzing around like the flying assholes they are. My FPS topped again when i dropped them.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #19004 on: February 14, 2012, 03:28:19 pm »

I was just undone by a swarm of Giant Undead Thrips. I guess they're bugs? All I know is that the mason was the last to die, cowering in my hole in the ground as a wave of zombies and the severed parts of my guard dogs descended upon him.

This update is FUN.
Pages: 1 ... 1265 1266 [1267] 1268 1269 ... 3842