Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1263 1264 [1265] 1266 1267 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6100104 times)

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #18960 on: February 13, 2012, 10:33:13 pm »

EDIT: as I'm looking at my military, I find out that 5 of my dwarves have an infection. Huh? that's... strange. Some of those don't even have injuries that I know of. Well, time will tell if anything happens.

If a dwarf (or anything alive, as far as I know) gets hurt in a way that breaks the skin, that dwarf could get an infection.  Many factors affect the probability of an open wound becoming infected - from environment to the dwarf's traits plus a good chunk of luck.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18961 on: February 13, 2012, 11:19:10 pm »

Holy dorf-eating monster carp, Batman! :o
Barely got off the embark wagon before my best miner got his right hand torn off by a f██king alligator.
[edit]Oh, his left lower arm and left ear too, it seems. Poor 'Kubota' Alniseshtân, sucks to be you... He seems "quite content" despite his injuries though. Tha's the spirit me lad!
Made him Sheriff just for his fighting spirit. Who says the long arm of the law has to have a hand attached? Now he can administer justice to criminals with his teeth!
Down to six useful dorfs plus one cripple. This ought to be !!Fun!!...
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 11:37:51 pm by Sus »
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
  • Either a Doomsday Device or an Ice Cream maker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18962 on: February 14, 2012, 02:38:33 am »

I've embarked on a volcano, I've never had it where the magma was easier to get than water before. Using reveal I've found an underground lake hugging the main tube (there are two!)  something like 35-40 levels below the planned lowest limits of my fortress. I'm definitely going to need a well for injuries, digging there will be quite a project and I'll have to start brewing before anything else so my dwarves don't die of thirst.  Fortunately we have a sand layer on a shelf. I wish there was a way to set up a rain collector. This big tube o' hot death is going to play hell with my usual semi-symmetrical designs.
Inflicting this on my enemies should be easy though, a single floodgate and a small fortified tunnel will probably kill any siege. Multiple gates set in cardinal directions will make that volcano into a direct fire weapon.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18963 on: February 14, 2012, 02:47:01 am »

Magma flows slowly so you will need to boost it with pumps.  Otherwise the siege walks into your fort...  and then can't get back out after they've killed all your dwarves.  But this doesn't help your dwarves.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18964 on: February 14, 2012, 02:53:49 am »

Inflicting this on my enemies should be easy though, a single floodgate and a small fortified tunnel will probably kill any siege. Multiple gates set in cardinal directions will make that volcano into a direct fire weapon.
Think big, think Orbital Magma Bombardment! >:D
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #18965 on: February 14, 2012, 05:01:15 am »

Sieges and ambushes, once they start walking towards an entrance, will do so even if it closes later on (dorfs also do this). Once they are all collected in front of the gate, open the hatches and let the magma drop. I used a sort of semi circular device to make sure I got the most of it.

XXXXXXXXXX
Xh++ h++hX
X+++++++X
X+++++++X
Xh+++++h X
X+++++++X

X= wall
+= floor
h= magma safe hatch

Once it's full and then opened, it will deposit 7/7 magma directly below and more starts flowing out. this much magma spreads fast enough that nothing from the middle will get away and not much from the adjectant perimiter will survive. I try not to do this against edible mounts. I like to decorate my fort with the bones of defeated enemies.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #18966 on: February 14, 2012, 05:47:28 am »

NEW RELEASE IS OUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18967 on: February 14, 2012, 05:53:38 am »

No, really?

I started a new fort, near a river origin and next to an established road.

Welcome, Fathdakost (Sackfloors)

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #18968 on: February 14, 2012, 06:03:53 am »

The queen consort of Bust of Balls migrated to my fortress. Interestingly she is not noble. Bug?
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #18969 on: February 14, 2012, 06:32:24 am »

new fort in the new version: the plank of persuaders has founded standardrespect. I'm going to keep this fort, just for the name, even though it is so hot every murky pool is empty. Luckily there is a stream at the far edge of the map.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #18970 on: February 14, 2012, 06:36:43 am »

it seems i can cut fireclay and galena.
oh well.
on a side note keeping the refuse stockpile in front of the doors to the fortress, while standard practice, with the new update is far more DORFIER.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18971 on: February 14, 2012, 07:29:59 am »

Raven-men, hamster-men, louse-men!

Skelma

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18972 on: February 14, 2012, 07:49:55 am »

My new fortress has near constant rain of disgusting muck that makes people bruised everywhere. also my very busy doctor dwarf has lost his sight but he's rocking on anyway.

Also the ground is tentacles

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18973 on: February 14, 2012, 08:00:02 am »

Holy shit, my first migrant has eight pages of relatives!

Edit: My other one too.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 08:06:23 am by MagmaMcFry »

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #18974 on: February 14, 2012, 08:22:45 am »

Leatherworker was found dead, drained of blood in one of the free bedrooms. No witnesses.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.
Pages: 1 ... 1263 1264 [1265] 1266 1267 ... 3842