Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6110257 times)

Schilcote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #1890 on: March 27, 2010, 10:25:44 pm »

I just downloaded Dig Deeper a little while ago, and have been having a ton of Fun with the orcs. On one reclaim, I had a miner/mason (first legendary miner of the fortress too) who got a fey mood. She was depressed because the Orcs had killed one of her pet wardogs (I had a ton of them). It is a gabbro bed. On it is a image of a dog in Gabbro. The dog is dead.

Maybe it was one of those things you have to be there for to get the full impact, but it deeply moved me (and I'm a rather stoic individual).
WHY DID YOU HAVE ME KICK THEM WTF I DID NOT WANT TO BE SHOT AT.
I dunno, you guys have survived Thomas the tank engine, golems, zombies, nuclear explosions, laser whales, and being on the same team as ragnarock.  I don't think something as tame as a world ending rain of lava will even slow you guys down.

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: March 27, 2010, 11:16:50 pm »

I just downloaded Dig Deeper a little while ago, and have been having a ton of Fun with the orcs. On one reclaim, I had a miner/mason (first legendary miner of the fortress too) who got a fey mood. She was depressed because the Orcs had killed one of her pet wardogs (I had a ton of them). It is a gabbro bed. On it is a image of a dog in Gabbro. The dog is dead.

Maybe it was one of those things you have to be there for to get the full impact, but it deeply moved me (and I'm a rather stoic individual).
  Yeah, Orcs make a lot of Fun and Awesome things happen. On one of my first forts after the first migrant wave (Which got my pop to 19) I had forgotten to make defenses but got a decent military. When the Orcs came, I mobilized my two squads. One of 4 Wrestlers, and One of 1 Novice Marksdwarfs and 2 Marksdwarfs. I managed to kill or mortally injure half of their force before my all my military died. The Orcs then came upon my 12 remaining dwarfs. I militarized some of them, and my militarized dwarfs managed to kill the 5 remaining wrestlers, but 2 Spearorcs and a Hammerorc remained. They obliterated 9 of them 18 seconds into the engagement, although my dwarves did manage to mangle the Hammerorcs left leg and the Spearorcs lower right arm. My three remaining dwarfs prepared for the worst. One of them ran away and was run through with one of the Spearorcs spear, easily. The second put of more of a fight and managed to bash some of the Hammerorc before getting his head smashed in. I took a deep breath as I watched my one remaining dwarf, a craftsdwarf by the name of Dakost (Can't remember his last name), go into battle, and I got ready to watch the fortress end. Except it didn't.
  By some insane stretch of luck, Dakost managed to wrest the Hammerorcs hammer away from him and bash half his face in. He then mortally wounded one Spearorc and struck down the other. Then he finished off the Hammerorc. I had a tiny tiny tiny bit of hope, but that hope was crushed when Dakost had a fey mood. He went to the Magma forges, and I watched him carefully, waiting for him to go insane, but somehow he finished the artifact. I guess I had enough materials. 
  The result was an Artifact axe made of Blackmetal that was engraved with literally the whole siege. My craftsdwarf then lasted long enough for more immigrants to come, and the fortress turned semi-succesful. Dakost being the Legendary Axedwarf. Happy ending huh?
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: March 27, 2010, 11:42:35 pm »

I do believe that about halfway through that story, you started making it up. Anyway... yea, that would be cool.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: March 27, 2010, 11:50:01 pm »

In the space of a few seconds, the following happened:

Human caravan and Guild Rep arrived.
Human Diplomat arrived (no doubt to talk about how the previous human caravan was locked outside the fort and destroyed).
Hydra arrived.
An army of Demon Cultists, lead by THREE epic-level local leaders arrived.

This should be interesting.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 12:18:18 am by Shade-o »
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Kza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: March 27, 2010, 11:57:51 pm »

Planning on killing the fortress. First, I decided to do everything I could.

I've made the river literally run red with blood, built the river to directly feed into my fort, and, of course, invited the king to make us the mountain home.

This should be fun.
FEAR ME MORTALS FOR I AM ARMOK, GOD OF BLOOD

EDIT: I just realized how I have a problem with power-tripping when I control something like sim city. ...I should get married to this game.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 12:06:05 am by Kza »
And then it's pretty much a normal fortress from then on.
I find the idea of a normal fortress amusing.

BitLooter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: March 28, 2010, 12:08:05 am »

Oh yeah, I forget to mention in my last post; while things were going to hell down in the magma pipe, the trade liaison showed up. And promptly went insane. I don't know how it happened, but almost as soon as he walked into the map he suddenly went off the deep end and started running around babbling like a loon. Maybe he was pissed that I built my trade depot in the middle of a thick forest, and the shear futility of it broke his brain?
Well really, if you can't be an insane Dwarven dictator hellbent on genociding Mermaids for their precious bones in a video game, where CAN you?

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: March 28, 2010, 01:04:16 am »

All hostiles have been caged. The Diplomat was torn apart as he attempted to do a combat roll under the invading army. The caravan was likewise torn apart as it crossed paths with the army. I expect the humans to be very angry.

The invaders also brought two packs of blind dragon wyrms, which I shall figure out a breeding program for. Allowing them to roam outside cages for a few months, then caging them while they give birth should work.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 01:11:01 am by Shade-o »
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: March 28, 2010, 02:03:36 am »

I had a non-legendary miner decide to clean molten rock off the inside of my magma pipes.
Edit: A tunnel carrying magma, not the map feature.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 02:32:53 am by immibis »
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

Kza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: March 28, 2010, 02:35:56 am »

Drowning, stark raving mad people, dying of thirst while drowning.

Some idiot pulled the red lever.
And then it's pretty much a normal fortress from then on.
I find the idea of a normal fortress amusing.

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: March 28, 2010, 02:59:01 am »

have just had the most underwhelming siege occur. the human traders showed up per usual in summer, i remove dump jobs to go get invader junk hauled to them... 'a vile force of darkness has arrived'. i go to unit list, i search for invaders discounting the orcs i'm holding for target practice... all i see is a bunch of dark elf wimps. who promptly flee upon tearing apart ONE war dog and THREE, only 3, of them dying on a weapon trap. All the rest break and run. Wimps.

EDIT: Oh, and now a Red Dragon has showed up. Wonder if a regular cage trap would catch it - oh wait, my cage traps are scattered, i have lines of weapon traps across the entrance...Suggestions? should I try to catch and tame it, or let my soldiers have some fun?

EDIT 2: Nevermind. the dragon is dead. apparently from self-immolation, since I have no annoucement of its being struck down. and after it killed my human liason too. Drat. human siegers are annoying..
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 03:28:38 am by stormyseasons »
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: March 28, 2010, 08:19:05 am »

To fully prepare for DF2010, I decided my recent and most elaborate fortress would suffer from accidental breaching of the magma pipe. A very dwarfy way to end probably my best fortress yet.

Repulsion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: March 28, 2010, 09:30:57 am »

I do believe that about halfway through that story, you started making it up. Anyway... yea, that would be cool.
  Well, the Spearorcs and Hammerorc were a bit injured, and the Craftsdwarf did go into a rage. I'm not completely sure if you stole the Hammerorcs hammer, but something like that happened. Maybe he picked one up...?
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: March 28, 2010, 10:35:06 am »

Highwall News Journal  "All the granite you care about, half the microcline you don't."
1st Galena 107 edition
Stock Prices: Meat 4.7 Socks 2.1 Rope Reed 1.1

Disaster! Human Siege prevents supply caravan! Meat Stocks at Record Low!

The human siege last month has now been confirmed to have prevented the summer caravan from the capital.  Turning the already bad food situation into a disaster.  According to recent stock estimates the fortress only has enough meat and fish for 2 months, while the next caravan is not expected until spring of next year,-6 7 months from now.  The butchers have already begun to butcher the animals, however the output is only expected to ... (continued 2A)

Miasma in the main hall!  "Smells like Lye Maker"

The miasma investigation last month has reached it's conclusion today.  The fortress guard has identified a number of dracon chunks at the workshop level of the central hall.  The chunks are identified as having belonged to the failed mood Lye Maker from some time ago.  The chunks had been marked as forbidden by standing orders and were not cleaned up during the usual post mood cleanup.  Nobody has taken responsibility for the mistake as of yet, but ... (continued 5E)

Humans Sieging my Fortress?  More Likely than you Think.
It is still a mystery why the humans sent an army instead of a caravan this year.  According to Trader Kuren (Who has recently been elected mayor) "We had always had good trade relations with the humans, we usually sent them on their way with a very generous profit as well.  But maybe they got tired of cloth crafts."  No matter the reason, the attacks mean dire things for the future, as the humans typically arrive at the same time as our caravan from the capital.  Unless this gets worked out, the current food shortage could last well into the foreseeable future.  The bones of the guild representative from last year being found on the mountain north of the fortress has some residents pointing fingers at the newly appointed general ...(continued 1B)

It's looking like Highwall may come to an end soon unless I can find some way to get alot of meat very quickly.  The fortress race is [carnivore] so farming can't fix this problem.  There are a large number of animals, more than 25 breeding pairs of dogs, cows, horses and chocobo.  But I don't know how long they can supply the fortress of 203 without cutting into the breeding stock.  And even if I kill all the breeders I can, it might still not be enough.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 10:42:48 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: March 28, 2010, 05:45:20 pm »

I got my fourth artifact granite scepter...
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

Nakanja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: March 28, 2010, 08:55:19 pm »

Got my first magma-flooding machine for siege defense almost ready.  Floodgates and mechanisms aren't bauxite, but I was too impatient to wait for the Dwarven caravan to deliver it.  I doubt it'll be a problem.

In other news, a cat wandered into the ballista practice room and got exploded.  Then the miller went in to collect cat pieces and also died.  :'(
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 3842