Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1254 1255 [1256] 1257 1258 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099384 times)

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #18825 on: February 05, 2012, 07:32:23 pm »

I've just started "Swordhearths the Home of Heroes", a fortress on the edge of a glacier overlooking the haunted tundra.

It's going to be a fortress that watches over the evil, slaying all undead that sally forth to do battle with our brave dwarves!

Eventually, there's going to be a large observation deck on the top level of the fortress that contains massive stocks of mead for my greatest warriors. Only the most legendary of dwarves will be permitted entrance - not even the Fortress Guard shall enter, unless they have killed the most dire of foes.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

HunterG24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18826 on: February 05, 2012, 10:07:38 pm »

This is probably the only game where I'll have to mobilize my army to take down a goose.
Hey, don't laugh at the geese. They can hurt, even in real life. We have Canada geese on our campus, and if one of those big featherbags is trying to protect a nest, she'll leave you with bruises. Sometimes even without the nests involved. I swear they've decided to claim the walkway behind the engineering building as their turf.

hmm sounds like a similar situation in York Uni. There the Geese are the kings of a certain area of grass and walkway. I swear there's one asshole with a bandanna and a switch blade.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18827 on: February 06, 2012, 12:20:41 am »

Welcome migrants, for arriving despite the danger! Don't worry, there's no danger from actual goblins and such. The only danger here was other dwarves propensity to solve anger issues by killing other dwarves. All the dwarves that were prone to that are now dead from a riot, and the remaining ones are quite stable. Well, they're stable in the sense that they don't get angry when you kill their friends, heh. They're good people.

Anyways, welcome to Hillsack! We got an overabundance of food and drink with an under-abundance of people to make more! Careful stepping through the gate. The goblinite (as we call it here) lying around can easily wound a dwarf. Feel free to take it though before someone else decides to melt it down. Also, don't mind the 20-30 goblins in cages. We captured them ages ago and just haven't gotten around to slaughtering them yet, as we've been too busy slaughtering the ones that try to steal our children. Oh, did I say our? I meant your. They try to steal your children, 'cus no way they're going to touch ours. *taps Natureboiled the Lake of Squids, a well-decorated steel spear, menacingly*

Anyways, grab a room! they're all outfitted completely (and don't mind the one with a broken door, we'll get someone to fix it eventually). Our government is all gone, and our baroness is dead, so you can settle that amongst yourselves. Welcome to Hillsack!
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18828 on: February 06, 2012, 12:27:53 am »

First ambush came to Rainecho.  Seeing as I had no military at the time, they got drowned instead.  Realizing I was woefully short on any sort of defenses past the drawbridge beyond a trap hall, I am now expanding the fort entrance defenses to include a dodge trap and other things.  All with military skills were drafted, all three of them.  Now we'll check the haulers to see if I can shove them into the squads for padding, and get working on that danger room.  I need military fodder migrants, damn it.

On the bright side, once all my iron is smelted we can begin steel production so the fledgling military can be equipped.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #18829 on: February 06, 2012, 02:23:24 am »

I do believe I'm finally experiencing my first tantrum spiral. My 237 dwarf fort has spent six or seven years congregating around the wagon that brought them there, as I've been preoccupied with a pump stack. Naturally, this leads to about half of them having legendary social skills. Then a mishap (read: dwarven stupidity) punched a hole through 4 z-levels, killing 7 dwarves, 5 of them children.

So far I've had at least eight dwarves go insane, three of them going berserk. Red arrows EVERYWHERE. I'm not sure whether I can be bothered fixing it - I've already declared the fort a success due to the 70z magma pump stack not failing.

EDIT: Oh my. The brewers are using barrels as ammo.
EDIT 2: Berserk weaponsmith just killed three children.
EDIT 3: And their mother just went berserk. God I love this game.
EDIT 4: The river is filled with dwarf pus. My dwarves have never had an infection and have never entered the river. What the hell is going on.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 02:32:31 am by Zaerosz »
くコ:彡

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18830 on: February 06, 2012, 06:55:22 am »

Food overproduction in one of my forts.   Any idea how long these stocks will last?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My guess would be it'd take around 15 years for 100 Dwarves to exhaust it :P

Trade with it.  Buy everything on every caravan, and give them meals in return.  Keep legendary meals in a separate stockpile, and only trade non-legendary meals - unless you start making so few non-legendary meals that you have to start trading them.

Set up your industry to process incoming metal items into useful stuff, and start atomsmashing anything else you make that's not legendary or artifact.

Right now dwarves do not actually do anything with clothing unless you create military uniforms.  I *think* that Toady is implementing economy again this update?  Not sure.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #18831 on: February 06, 2012, 08:03:00 am »

I do believe I'm finally experiencing my first tantrum spiral. My 237 dwarf fort has spent six or seven years congregating around the wagon that brought them there, as I've been preoccupied with a pump stack. Naturally, this leads to about half of them having legendary social skills. Then a mishap (read: dwarven stupidity) punched a hole through 4 z-levels, killing 7 dwarves, 5 of them children.

So far I've had at least eight dwarves go insane, three of them going berserk. Red arrows EVERYWHERE. I'm not sure whether I can be bothered fixing it - I've already declared the fort a success due to the 70z magma pump stack not failing.

EDIT: Oh my. The brewers are using barrels as ammo.
EDIT 2: Berserk weaponsmith just killed three children.
EDIT 3: And their mother just went berserk. God I love this game.
EDIT 4: The river is filled with dwarf pus. My dwarves have never had an infection and have never entered the river. What the hell is going on.

You know, dwarf pus sounds unbelievably unsanitary.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18832 on: February 06, 2012, 10:14:20 am »

Ghostcloisters recently reached 100 population! And still not a noble in sight, if you don't count the mayor. I've rigged the elections (turns out you can just pick) so that the expedition leader and super-awesome metalworker is the mayor. All she asks is bolts and bronze things. She makes them herself. "I mandate a bronze item! ... Oh, I may as well do it myself."

On another note, a lowly speardwarf has gained the recognition of his people for slaying not one, but two mighty forgotten beasts. Despite the poison vapours of the second one searing all his skin off, he's still up and about, drinking away.

A dwarf injured and placed into the hospital was crying about her dead child, shouting, "Cancels seek infant: Too Injured!"
We were forced to put her down, the noise was making it impossible to work.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

LARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18833 on: February 06, 2012, 10:18:47 am »

I'm confused, my millitia commander is dual wielding an adamantine mace and war hammer with his right hand! he has a shield in his right. does anybody else have this? Does it work? I haven't tested him yet.

my question.... why the hell did you make adamantine BLUNT weapons...
Well according to the wiki they have no flexibility and no give. Also, i wanted to knock the merchants out into my cage traps
Obama is not middle eastern pacifist who gave out free health care, You're thinking of Jesus

Quote from: God
Nietzsche is dead and I killed him
Quote from: Douglas Adams
Let us think the unthinkable, let us do the undoable, let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Aopng

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18834 on: February 06, 2012, 11:01:14 am »

Hi!

I'm a fairly new DF player, and after dozens of tries, today I got my first running fort. Everything was going smooth, until my tanner got into a secretive mood. I wasn't able to give him what he asked (not even the right workshop), he went berserk and my marksdwarf killed him. Anyway, a few days later my hunter also got into a secretive mood. I was already thinking of a way to get rid of him, when suddenly he goes to a craftsdwarf workshop. Bracing myself, I waited patiently for his demands. To my surprise, I had everything he wanted - raw adamantine and wood. So there he is, mysteriously working on something, and then, he creates a raw adamantine Scepter. Curious, I went to check the value, and I saw this:

Is it a common thing? I was pretty impressed by the value of this thing. I mean, i know adamantine is a valuable material and all, but daaamn. Am I just another newbie overreacting about something that happens all the time?

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18835 on: February 06, 2012, 11:10:55 am »

Hi!

I'm a fairly new DF player, and after dozens of tries, today I got my first running fort. Everything was going smooth, until my tanner got into a secretive mood. I wasn't able to give him what he asked (not even the right workshop), he went berserk and my marksdwarf killed him. Anyway, a few days later my hunter also got into a secretive mood. I was already thinking of a way to get rid of him, when suddenly he goes to a craftsdwarf workshop. Bracing myself, I waited patiently for his demands. To my surprise, I had everything he wanted - raw adamantine and wood. So there he is, mysteriously working on something, and then, he creates a raw adamantine Scepter. Curious, I went to check the value, and I saw this:

Is it a common thing? I was pretty impressed by the value of this thing. I mean, i know adamantine is a valuable material and all, but daaamn. Am I just another newbie overreacting about something that happens all the time?
Yeah, its common.
Also, Youre an Escaped Lunatic. Go throw it in the Magma Sea if Youre not satisfied with it, whilst screaming about Clear Demons or something.
Ill wait here.

:D
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18836 on: February 06, 2012, 11:11:23 am »

A Lizard Person Forgotten Beast in Genesis killed the Mayor.
Everyone went Berserk.
Fun ensued.
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

Laserhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18837 on: February 06, 2012, 12:57:03 pm »

Finally getting some decent attacks from FD. A bunch of blendecs showed up, and the two fellows I've got manning the front door slaughtered them all. Despite both being about equal fighters, the one with the axe is getting many more kills. He even named his axe. The one with the hammer tends to cripple an enemy and either move on to the next or keep breaking limbs until the one with the axe finally come along and separates the head from the now mostly liquified body.

I finished my water supply project (trying out that "breach from beneath a bridge" trick on an aquifer), my next plan is to set up a ballista at the entrance. Do siege operators get kill credit / special names like military do?

Guylock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18838 on: February 06, 2012, 02:40:12 pm »

Recent updates on Cunningtrade!!!

- A dwarf went berserk, killed a puppy and a kitten, WHAT SHAME!!! but then was killed by one of my guards. :D
- A Dwarf got possessed and produced my first artifact!
- Successful trading has been going on!
- Productive fort! Dwarves are happy.

No real disaster has happened yet. D:

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #18839 on: February 06, 2012, 02:50:33 pm »

I got a question.
My fort rooms and hall are dug out now.
I plan on smoothing and then engraving everything.
But, my dwarves tend to socialize alot, so if somebody dies it might cause a tantrum spiral, but they also should become estatic (like in my previous fort), will estatic dwarves easily throw tantrums when somebody dies?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 1254 1255 [1256] 1257 1258 ... 3842