Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1252 1253 [1254] 1255 1256 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099393 times)

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #18795 on: February 04, 2012, 10:58:52 pm »

The goblins launched an ambush on me.  Ambush being a euphemism for "serious tactical blunder":

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

They were spotted by the markdwarf patrol that I have constantly patrolling my perimeter, partially as a countermeasure against the badger storms that frequent the map.  I ordered my entire army to attack the goblins, and the markdwarves that were on patrol began to open fire, including a legendary marksdwarf that arrived a few months earlier as part of the king's retinue.  Meanwhile, a human caravan had just arrived on my map to trade, and the caravan guards decided they wanted to have some fun too.  Unfortunately for me, the guards hogged all the kills, but I have plenty of goblin prisoners to execute as part of my military's training.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18796 on: February 04, 2012, 11:08:38 pm »

Got a strange mood. He claimed a glassmaker's workshop. Guess what's the the first thing he wants? Raw green glass.

GHFHGFHFGF GET IT YOURSELF YOU LAZY SON OF A-

::)
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18797 on: February 05, 2012, 01:31:12 am »

I've taken a liking to over-decorating my spare weapons. Apparently, I got a very fitting steel spear not only into the hands of a dwarf, but they named it. "Naturedboiled teh Lake of Squids". What's so awesome about it? it has a well-designed image if the dwarf ^^Ingish^^ and a chicken in bismuth bronze. ^^Ingish^^ is embracing the chicken. ^^Ingish^^ has so far had 34 kills with it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Not much else is going on. I'm trying to create a buffer zone between the military and the defensible area so that I can gather more goblinite safely. Also, my first child finally grew to become a peasant. Yay. Now I need to figure out what my first fully trainable dwarf is going to do.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18798 on: February 05, 2012, 02:19:52 am »

Tried to build a fortress out in a frozen forest. Hit an aquifer a few layers down, so I opened the whole area up to the sky so it'd freeze instantly.

Lo and fucking behold, all three of my miners decide to get frozen in blocks of ice. What the hell.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18799 on: February 05, 2012, 03:44:22 am »

I just watched as 2 elephants chain rage after a wood hauler and eventually killed him. 5 dwarves left.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #18800 on: February 05, 2012, 04:40:56 am »

I've instituted a 'water for goods' trading policy with the local elves.  They enter the trade depot, and then I give them as much water as the room can hold.  They don't seem to complain.  Or survive... Oh well, at least I got plenty of goods in exchange

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18801 on: February 05, 2012, 07:05:08 am »

I've have plan to finally find a mega beast in fortress mode without embarking on the cave. I embarked on volcano site and am not going to dig to caverns so that FB can't attack me.

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18802 on: February 05, 2012, 07:15:11 am »

Andi Okanhemhorg is on a propaganda trip or something. He's covered the dining room with engravings of the symbol of The Scream Of Ashes (local government) - Palms; or The Veiled Hatred (the civilisation) - Rye. There are just tons of these repeated engravings about the civilisation or the local government. He is REALLY patriotic.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #18803 on: February 05, 2012, 08:03:50 am »

*takes a deep breath*
my reclaimed fortress in masterwork mod has pastured flame turrets.
the trade depot is nearby.
rhesus macaques and elves don't go well together.
so first thing off, the elves come to trade, that's the moment the macaques decide to say hi to the turret by biting it. the cloud of flames engulfs the macaque!
the burning macaque runs for the depot!
THE EXPLOSION destroys the depot. a mule with the merchant, ablaze, decides to run for the hills or something, well guess what? another enflamed macaque makes a beeline in the same direction! the mule certainly had barrels of wine because they explode into ash too!
explosions! my grassy hills is now charred and ashes.
long live dwarf fortresss!!!
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

raptorfangamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Svenleton King
    • View Profile
« Reply #18804 on: February 05, 2012, 10:08:41 am »

A single hunter repelled a whole siege...
Marksdorfs are awesome, peridot.
"Tobar, whats that on the wall?"

"That, Urist, is a reminder not to piss me off..."

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18805 on: February 05, 2012, 11:31:42 am »

My child that I was all proud of just became our mayor. He's 12, and he's already asking for items. Then again, it makes some sense. He's related to a quarter of the fort by blood. Oh fun. What makes it even more fun? I made him captain of his own guard (requirements match up with what's available), and now he has two demands for aluminum crap. I don't have aluminum. ha.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18806 on: February 05, 2012, 11:47:33 am »

Ok guys time to embark in this nicely wooded temperate zone, okay it's all snow with a snowstorm right off the bat ok, start digging out the earth, things are looking good, nice setup, oh hey dire wolves, oh look arms and legs everywhere, my settlement has crumbled oh boy.

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
  • Either a Doomsday Device or an Ice Cream maker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18807 on: February 05, 2012, 12:01:39 pm »

I've added the finishing modifications to my Experimental Megabeast Magma Kill Trap MK II (MK IIe). I've added a sustainable obisidianizer option and a staircase that connects all the caverns to funnel FB's into the trap. The design of this trap will become the standard for all my future fortresses allowing me to safely kill FB's with dangerous syndromes and fully exploit the wealth in the caverns.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18808 on: February 05, 2012, 12:17:31 pm »

I've started construction of an entry maze that's heavily inspired by the power generator complex near the end of Star Wars Episode 1. Constructed catwalks above a long drop, threaded between massive pillars. I'm not sure how it's actually going to function as an entry defence (it's underneath my fort and there's an aquifer between it and the surface) but I'll work on that later.

In other news, six of my fine warriors met their deaths today in a tragic manner. They were part of my forgotten-beast defeating squad, but they met a giant ceratopsid with poisonous vapours and while the beast died, the vapours soon caused full-body paralysis and suffocation before they made it half a dozen tiles from its corpse.

I was thinking of putting megabeasts in the maze to keep out goblins, but maybe I should put goblins in the maze to keep out megabeasts...
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
  • Either a Doomsday Device or an Ice Cream maker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18809 on: February 05, 2012, 01:48:22 pm »

I'm waiting for my dwarves to finish dumping the stone left over from flattening two small mountains.
Pages: 1 ... 1252 1253 [1254] 1255 1256 ... 3842