Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1248 1249 [1250] 1251 1252 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099739 times)

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #18735 on: February 02, 2012, 04:41:34 pm »

Now is when we ask ourselves exactly what "proficient speardwarf" means... ;)
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
  • Either a Doomsday Device or an Ice Cream maker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18736 on: February 02, 2012, 05:36:03 pm »

Had a rather unfortunate event happen. I was trying to pit a wild troll into our lava trash pit when it pushed our chief medical dwarf down the hole instead, it then beat his assistant to death. So I lost my two most experience medical professionals. My military crippled the troll then I had it shoved into the pit where our poor chief medical dwarf was incinerated. Now I gotta hope these scab medics I've rooted out will get a lot better quickly, a Terrifying embark is full of danger and skeagles.

Now excuse me while I try to tag this Zombie Marmot with a ballista.

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18737 on: February 02, 2012, 06:17:37 pm »

Got an immigrant who was a proficient speardwarf. Her name was Likot "Tallspear" .. I checked her appearance and sure enough, she's tall.
Too bad she was not a guy. Would have given him royal quarters and a few female servants :D
You can always give her royal quarters and a few male servants. With tall spears, of course.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

Laserhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18738 on: February 02, 2012, 07:58:19 pm »

Finally, some beak wolves showed up. This time the kitten did not frighten them, and they killed it. Then they all ran down toward my fortress and were promptly massacred by the two guys who were standing there. They didn't even have to use their shields.

Also, I think it is far too easy to accidentally delete a burrow. 'c'reate burrow, enter to define, fiddle fiddle fiddle... done! 'esc' to finish, 'd'esignate area for miningelete burrow... Argh, Again! It'd be nice if the delete burrow option were in the define this burrow menu, or something.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #18739 on: February 02, 2012, 10:22:26 pm »

Castlefainted entered its fourth or fifth year earlier today, I forget which, and my first pump stack is about 20% complete. I'm also building a multiple-floor castle out of marble blocks, the walls apparently being 102*52, for a whopping 5000 tiles of floor space per floor at maximum. I have a waterwheel set to power the pump stack when it reaches the surface, but for the moment it's still about 45 levels below ground. Progress is hampered by a lack of magma-safe metals to construct screw pumps with, but fortunately FPS is apparently not an issue with this computer - on my last fort I unleashed the HFS and still managed a solid 40FPS until the end of the game I now know what I'm going to have to deal with next time I try to crack open the circus.

The only actual living facilities my dwarves have are a small room with nine beds, four 5*5 underground farm plots, a well, and every workshop being made of rock salt. I think I'm doing it right.
くコ:彡

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18740 on: February 02, 2012, 10:33:10 pm »

Noticed a pattern in my fort.. There are three groups of units.. There are civilians, military, and enemies (playing with fortress defense, not using traps or wall-ins).  Enemies show up, enemies fight military.. If military wins we mop up and keep going, if enemies win I get to watch helplessly as the rest of my civilians are eaten up.  So basically once my military goes down the game is over.. So with that in mind my current fort has everybody in the military (save for a couple of skilled doctors and of course children and such).  They are going to die anyways, they may as well have a chance.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18741 on: February 03, 2012, 12:06:15 am »

I watched "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas" today.

Now I'm having a little bit of trouble pulling the lever for my purging chamber...

:(
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18742 on: February 03, 2012, 01:10:07 am »

have a rather relaxing fort right now, it's shallow (dug into the mountain, only mines and access-ways go below the mountain's base. built some walls and traps to handle the goblins, making 30 suits of iron armour and weapons for the military, overall pretty calm though, a nice change of pace really. most of the jobs are automated or done through the job manager.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18743 on: February 03, 2012, 05:07:41 am »

Due to an accident with the magma sea, dfhack nopause, and a bit of carelessness, a miner is now missing all fat in his body, is burned over every surface, and is feeling faint from bloodloss.  He doesn't want to go to the hospital, though.  He's hanging out in the meeting hall flashing due to feeling faint, but he's just chilling there.  I hope he doesn't keel over, he's friends with everyone.

The most annoying thing, though, is that now I have to completely redig my metalworks somewhere else since this accident screwed them up and I can't fix them due to the shafts being flooded with magma.  Good thing I actually hadn't moved anything down there for the forges yet.

Edit: It's also burned all his clothes off.  Great.  First year isn't over yet and already I have a streaker.  Also, being set on fire by magma and losing all fat is apparently "minor injuries".  He's still ecstatic.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 05:10:46 am by Clover Magic »

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18744 on: February 03, 2012, 05:26:20 am »

On embark: Dwarf kicked a goat to death. (don't ask me)

Later...

Guys are training with wooden swords, all of a sudden one goes bezerk and 4 dorfs jump on him and beat him to death. His body is chucked on the trash heap.

Diicc Tater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18745 on: February 03, 2012, 05:42:58 am »

Got a little greedy after the blue stuff and opened a pathway straight down to HORROR!
Had a child survive all alone for a year. With a fractured lower spine he was "lucky" he had been tossed into one of the food stockpiles. Poor guy, dragging himself through the stockpile on his knuckles while screams of terror echoes through his home with only panicked poults to keep him company...

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #18746 on: February 03, 2012, 06:29:58 am »

tried masterwork df.
set up stuff, realized coal gave lung rotting and so on.
(no looking at wiki first times!)
everything on for maximum FUN!
my fortress crumbled after two seasons...because of...BUMBLEBEESSSSSSS.

RUN YOU FOOLS THEY ARE NOT WEAK.
arteries open, headshots, tantrumming people who lost their pet cat and only have their head rest.
Putrefying corpses and living beings...
TIME TO RECLAIIMMMMM.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18747 on: February 03, 2012, 06:52:58 am »

Just started a new fort on a heavily modded 31.25 world, instead of the 31.18 one i've used for all previous forts.

These have my modded creatures in, with population caps off for some reason, so the Drazardmen and Zalifen are crowding out the others. There's 5800 civilised beings alive, of which 3200 belong to Zalifen and about 2000 to Drazardmen. They basically control the world.

Dwarves are barely surviving. Elves died out in the year 249, after all being starved out. Gluaks are doing well. Humans are scarce.

There was a war in 231, which could be considered a world war. the Drazardmen attacked the Zalifen with ~2000 Drazardmen and the zalifen had 3100 in the fight. The drazardmen were led by a Coyote Demon who'd convinced them that he was their Supreme God, Glick. The zalifen repelled the drazardmen, with 2800 losses. The Drazardmen lost 1100.

I've just started a new fort, Taxboards. The dwarves spawned as they should with two Llamamen as their pack animals.

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18748 on: February 03, 2012, 07:04:50 am »

I just almost lost a fort. I went from a population of 73 to 7.

Not because the Goblins got in.
Not because I couldn't sustain myself.
Not because I couldn't defend myself.

Because the Goblins were standing between two and four Z levels above me, half a mile away, on a fucking hilltop.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 07:08:26 am by MasterMorality »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #18749 on: February 03, 2012, 07:24:47 am »

I just almost lost a fort. I went from a population of 73 to 7.

Not because the Goblins got in.
Not because I couldn't sustain myself.
Not because I couldn't defend myself.

Because the Goblins were standing between two and four Z levels above me, half a mile away, on a fucking hilltop.

Let me guess;  You forgot to lock the doors and the dwarves ran out to claim the socks of their fallen bretheren?
Pages: 1 ... 1248 1249 [1250] 1251 1252 ... 3842