Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1242 1243 [1244] 1245 1246 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099388 times)

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Marcus Aurelius Let's Play
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #18645 on: January 30, 2012, 11:21:11 am »

I'm finally seeing some military reach elite. Had a minotaur arrive in year 8 that just wandered around outside looking lost so I sent out my squads and reading the combat report was fun. 6 pages, and all he was able to do was make 3 attacks, one was dodged and two were blocked with shields. My brave bat family (all of my military dwarves are named after Batman and his allies) took him down with no trouble at all.
Everyone is finally in all steel, and I still have more hematite than I know what to do with. I'm thinking steel statues everywhere.
I haven't yet explored the caverns. I can view the small parts my shaft to the magma sea intercepted, and I know there are three forgotten beasts down there (one with a syndrome that leaves pools of gunk *everywhere*) but up to this point I haven't needed the resources and with Genesis the aboveground takes a lot more of my time. I really don't want to lose my fort to a syndrome.
I lost a Dunedweller caravan to a combined beastman/demon siege, but that yielded a bunch of free stuff so not too big of a problem. Dwarves didn't come this year though, which was really odd as they made it away safely last year.
With all the flux and hematite I think I'll be the arms supplier to the civilized world. Wouldn't it be great if by you trading masterwork steel weapons and armor to the world that over time the good guys would become stronger and come to dominate the bad guys. That would be a cool change to the world as a result of your efforts.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #18646 on: January 30, 2012, 11:29:33 am »

Chasm'd:

~1500 non-dyed thread
~1000 articles of clothing
~4500 stones
~1000 excess plump helmets
~1000 seeds

Man, I actually got +5 in terms of FPS :D
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #18647 on: January 30, 2012, 02:37:19 pm »

Several questions that may or may not be related:

How difficult would it be to establish an instant fluid-based cleaning service wired up to a whole friggin' minefield of levers a few floors down?

Does fire travel up ramps?

What is the best formation for a monument built from obsidian bricks hewn from the corpses of the dead as a sort of honour-system?

Should said monument have magma filling it or just pumping through it like veins?

If the second option, should said veins just be straight chutes to the bottom of the monument, into which magma is poured from a large pipe overhead? Because I really don't know how else I'd do it.
くコ:彡

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18648 on: January 30, 2012, 04:04:46 pm »

Fire does not travel up ramps.
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18649 on: January 30, 2012, 04:55:10 pm »

Tinhammers got attacked by a giant. A very stupid and physically weak one apearently. It rushe in, trashed my trade depot and kennels before a wrestler broke a leg and an untrained peasent witha masterwork spear skewered it's head.

Tinhammers was also attacked by a cyclops,  And in my wisdom I forgot I left the Llama/cavy pen open, resulting in a baby Llama being strnagled to death, a grown horse being used as a paint brush, and my master weaponsmith, in his wisdom trying to bring the other llama up to the pen as he didn't seem to know about the cyclops, got bludgeoned to death.

He deserved it, but now I have no source of masterwork iron weaponry to equip the Army of Tinhammers with. The Cyclops got its due, as a hand, leg, and toe were sliced off by the Militia commander and a hammerdorf smashed it's head in.

The guy who killed the Giant promptly raged at the mayor before coming out of it. I have high hopes for him.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18650 on: January 30, 2012, 05:28:16 pm »

Posted a hammerlord to the marksdwarf squad. Hopefully he'lll help to train them up in close combat, seeing as most of them are elite anyway.

In other news, many pets and children died, and my beloved queen (whose guard dogs snuffed it) went melancholy. Cause was a patch of forgotten beast blood on the main stairwell which for some reason is not removed by dfcleanmap. I put a restricted traffic designation on it but animals and children seem to ignore those... and then somebody went outside with it on their feet while it was raining and about a dozen dwarves were hospitalised immediately. But I walled off the blood patch now, so hopefully no more issues, and the miasma from rotting dog feet should clear up soon. (though my Elite Marksdwarf, who had many children, is looking unhappy...)

Also, we struck candy, mined it recklessly, and the circus has not yet come to town. So now I have nearly 1000 units of candy being processed and no clue what to do with it. Ideas?
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18651 on: January 30, 2012, 05:40:45 pm »

Make candy cloaks and outfit your entire military with candy everything, when that's done, create statues, doors, beds, etc.  If you still have some left then make armor and weapons for your entire fortress.
If that doesn't interest you then I recommend a giant hammer made of the blue stuff to crush invaders with.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #18652 on: January 30, 2012, 05:56:04 pm »

Make candy cloaks and outfit your entire military with candy everything, when that's done, create statues, doors, beds, etc.  If you still have some left then make armor and weapons for your entire fortress.
If that doesn't interest you then I recommend a giant hammer made of the blue stuff to crush invaders with.
That giant hammer would probably weigh about as much in total as a single silver warhammer, maximum. I'm all for colossal wastes of resources, but isn't that going a little too far, even for DF?
くコ:彡

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18653 on: January 30, 2012, 06:06:16 pm »

Make candy cloaks

Wouldn't the cloaks accumulate wear damage?

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18654 on: January 30, 2012, 06:09:56 pm »

During a visit from the elves of Tise Vafice, a siege arrived. This one was huge, heavily armed and had a huge cadre of crossbowgoblins. I sounded the alarm, and pulled the lever to seal us in; as the army was passing over it.
FUCK.

Urist McArtifactWearerandChampion has been crushed by a drawbridge.
Urist McNamedWeaponTheTitleOfTitles has been crushed by a drawbridge.
A masterpiece of Ral Ralsolon has been lost! x5
Urist McNewbie has been crushed by a drawbridge.
Goblin Elite Lasher has been crushed by a drawbridge.

The aftermath was EIGHT of my 21 dwarf army killed by the bridge alone.

CFUIUUUU--- Savescum it is.

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18655 on: January 30, 2012, 06:11:38 pm »

That giant hammer would probably weigh about as much in total as a single silver warhammer, maximum. I'm all for colossal wastes of resources, but isn't that going a little too far, even for DF?
That's the point, can you imagine it?  The grand army of the goblins charging towards the gates of the great fortress, suddenly from the sky comes falling a gigantic hammer, the gobbo's scream, and the thing just bounces off.

Make candy cloaks

Wouldn't the cloaks accumulate wear damage?
Yes, but it would provide maximum protection against the clowns should he challenge them.

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18656 on: January 30, 2012, 06:44:21 pm »

My fort is in the summer of 258, its eighth year. In 251, the militia commander from the original 7 became romantically involved with one of the captains. He dodged into a pond before they could marry, and died while fighting skeletal moose who kept miners from carving ramps into the ponds. Commander Datan is still wearing one of his masterpiece leather cloaks, even though it is badly worn. She is also friends with Rigoth Nailattic, a dwarven child whose mother was a captain killed in a siege. I guess she's taking care of the kid. Datan's only old friend left is another axelord named Ingiz. She makes him spar with her despite having a splint in his arm. The deity she casually worships is also named Datan, god of jewels. It's probably as a joke.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #18657 on: January 30, 2012, 06:49:53 pm »

I'm going to create an avengers type squad, with a legendary wrestler/shielddwarf, one clad entirely in ☼iron armor☼, one legendary marksdwarf, one legendary hammerdwarf, etc. Any others?
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

terkiey

• Bay Watcher
  • chicken what i need
    • View Profile
« Reply #18658 on: January 30, 2012, 07:17:11 pm »

Everyone died, oh the humanity. My leg! etc.
Quote from: Meistermoxx
Quote from: Knigel
Does anything bad happen if you accuse someone of being a night creature and they aren't?
Yes, they call you a rasict, and then they shot you and take your cocaine.
[(√[1]/∞)+3!+|Chicken|] / [100^(1/2)]

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
  • Either a Doomsday Device or an Ice Cream maker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18659 on: January 30, 2012, 07:26:16 pm »

This is probably the only game where I'll have to mobilize my army to take down a goose.
Hey, don't laugh at the geese. They can hurt, even in real life. We have Canada geese on our campus, and if one of those big featherbags is trying to protect a nest, she'll leave you with bruises. Sometimes even without the nests involved. I swear they've decided to claim the walkway behind the engineering building as their turf.

When I went to trade school there was a story of a previous student who was so poor and tired of instant noodles that he'd sneak into the city parks late at night with a baseball bat and bag a Canadian Goose once every 2 weeks. I was impressed.
Pages: 1 ... 1242 1243 [1244] 1245 1246 ... 3842