Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1240 1241 [1242] 1243 1244 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099389 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #18615 on: January 29, 2012, 12:19:32 pm »

Noble.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Chaos Armor

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18616 on: January 29, 2012, 12:47:22 pm »

What’s going on in my Fortress…

This is what my fort used to look like(it is a DF defense Mod Fortress and the whole thing is for defense not aesthetics.)

This is what it looks like now.

How did it end up like this? Well I had a squad of elite dwarves and I sent them aboveground for their annual exposure to the sun, while they were up there I decided I would have them train on a couple of wild animals. So I looked at the list and saw a horse. I told them to attack this horse. The traders were at the trade depot. I realized my mistake and as fast as I could I canceled the order. I was too late the dwarf had attacked one of the trader’s horses. On 31 if a dwarf attacks a friendly then they are treated as hostile and your other dwarves will attack him. So the rest of the squad attacks that dwarf and since they attacked him and he is friendly then they are now hostile. This then continues on to happen to my whole fort until it’s an all-out brawl to the death. Of the 155 dwarves I had, 31 remain.

To tell you the truth I think this is one of the best things to hit my fort yet. All of the dwarves left are hardened individuals. It was also the most action I’ve seen yet too(my world didn’t generate right and some of the civilizations died out or never really existed).

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That is what is going on in my Fortress.
Lurking since 2009

Leerooooooooy walk forward twice

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18617 on: January 29, 2012, 12:47:59 pm »

Just took a look at the engraver who I decided to make the baroness.
I'm doomed.
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18618 on: January 29, 2012, 01:17:33 pm »

Noble.

Noble? Verrah well, she is now both the manager and bookkeeper, since well... Both the manager and the bookkeeper died in the Winter Siege of 176. That was a bad year for Earthspirals... I wish I'd counted just how many dwarves died. :P

@Chaos Armor: Reminds me a bit of my current fort! Half of the FD Civs had died out somewhere along the way, including goblins. Dark Stranglers, Beak Wolves and White Tigermen were pretty much the only survivors apart from dwarves and humans, it seemed... Until the giants attacked. :o Pretty disastrous, with copper weaponry failing to go through their hide! My favoured dwarf Eral gained... Seven kills out of it, though, with her steel shortsword! :D
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18619 on: January 29, 2012, 01:36:06 pm »

This is pretty much what is going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk6OgrI46NE&feature=related

lol Peter Bull'd
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18620 on: January 29, 2012, 01:48:11 pm »

Dwarf1: Hey Urist, this gobbo thinks he's a bigger redneck then us !!
Dwarf2: We'll show him who's the buck-tooth boss around here.

Urist_McUristson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18621 on: January 29, 2012, 01:59:21 pm »

Well, this picture about sums it up:
Goblin ambush, my mechanic was right in the middle of resetting the stone-fall traps. They killed him and ran right on in since all of the traps were not loaded. I send a hasty militia made of dwarves nearbye to delay while I wall up. They are all slaughtered. The goblins come right down and manage to get into our main area. The mason doesn't get the last wall up in time. We are cornered, so I draft every remaining dwarf into militia squads and send the unarmed lot down the hallway. By the end 19 of my 42 dwarfs were dead, all 5 goblins as well. And of course the human caravan appears 2 seconds later. The only good thing is that I have enough beds and food for everyone now...

Chaos Armor

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18622 on: January 29, 2012, 03:11:51 pm »

More on my fort.

My fortress has mostly returned to normal however there are a ton of ghosts around and most of my population is my former military.

For some reason I couldn't make any of my dwarves the broker, bookeeper, or etc.
But then a migrant wave comes and I find that I can now put those dwarves into the noble positions.
I'm thinking how odd that is when the migrants finally reach the entrance and they are ran off and killed by my dwarves. More experimentation and I discover that they are treated as hostile.

Explanation: The reason the fighting stopped was because all of my dwarves became outlaws. Yes I now have a fort of bandits and such. This also means that I will probably kill traders and I already know that I will kill any migrants, so now I must make sure my dwarves are having children if I want to sustain a population.

(I think I'm going to make a thread on this, not sure though)

Edit:
@Yoink I have gotten sieged once and that was by frogmen... they didn't get past a quarter of my bridge.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 03:14:26 pm by Chaos Armor »
Lurking since 2009

Leerooooooooy walk forward twice

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18623 on: January 29, 2012, 04:20:58 pm »

It's time for... Dwarf Fortress Q&A!

Q:What do I do when my marksdwarf squad won't stand where I order them, behind the fortifications facing into the firing range, so I can release captives for them to shoot?!
A: Order those lazy dumb f***ers into the room with your collection of horrible beasties, and then see how fast they start apologising!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Darinford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18624 on: January 29, 2012, 08:04:54 pm »

Rolled another fort to experiment with training; untamed wilds, grasslands.  After the prospectors report showed almost 15k candy on the 5x5 I decided it'd be a fun place to build(I always check for flux to make sure the sitefinder behaved itself). 

I tried to sink a shaft to the magma sea to get some forges going asap, unfortunately I didn't strike magma till about 120-130 Z levels down.  I was rather disappointed, but my third wave of immigrants showed up a little afterwards with 21 dwarves.  I noticed about four fisherdwarves/animal caretakers so I decided I'd just send them into the fist cavern to die.  Lo and behold they discovered a magma chute straight to the first cavern layer only about 10z levels down.  Additionally I have underground lakes in the first and second cavern layers.  Realizing I'd need a lot of haulers I decided to let them back into the fort.   Magnetite and limonite practically cover the first couple z levels of the map, so I now have four magma smelters cranking out iron as fast as they can.  I'd guestimate that the marble quarry is at least 130 tiles Z and another 150 tiles x/y to the smelters, so my dwarves are definitely gettin some cardio.

My two starting military dwarves made legendary fighter/spear  fighter/swords  summer of the second year I think; armed with iron weapons they carved up the first goblin ambush admirably.  Unfortunately however, my legendary swordsman has bonded to his copper starting sword.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2012, 08:09:17 pm by Darinford »

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18625 on: January 29, 2012, 08:33:35 pm »

My hammerdwarves just named themselves "The Virginal Basements".

...I think my dwarves are insulting me.  :o

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
  • Either a Doomsday Device or an Ice Cream maker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18626 on: January 29, 2012, 08:39:02 pm »

I built a 40zlvl pump-stack to the magma layer and powered it with 8x4 waterwheels powered by siphoning water off of a brook and letting it flow back into the brook. To shut it down I used two raising drawbridges at each end of the device to stop the flow of water. Well it worked, but when I cut off the flow the wheels kept turning, generating a steady 3200 power with no effort or water flow. I had to dig a drain to the edge of the map to get rid of water trapped between the bridges. 40zlvls is way too big for a pump stack though, time literally stops when its running and that was just to the magma forges at the top of the first cavern layer, I had 20+ more Zs to go before I got to the surface where it could be weaponized.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18627 on: January 29, 2012, 08:53:10 pm »

I generated a new world with my girlfriend's parameters. Embarked.

The fort is named Diamondgleam and the group is named The Diamond of Gleaming. Completely randomly. I am okay with this.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18628 on: January 29, 2012, 09:51:21 pm »

Erm...

I may have slightly forgotten a very important wall somewhere. A little bit.
[Signature]

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18629 on: January 29, 2012, 09:58:13 pm »

Ah, dwarf fortress at its finest.
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.
Pages: 1 ... 1240 1241 [1242] 1243 1244 ... 3842