Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1238 1239 [1240] 1241 1242 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099621 times)

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #18585 on: January 27, 2012, 03:43:43 pm »

For whatever reason, they forgot to siege in the 2nd spring and summer, allowing me to build up some 40 militias, 20 of which are decently geared. Let's see if autumn dissapoint.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18586 on: January 27, 2012, 07:02:26 pm »

Goblins are starting to notice the fort of Goldsenses(very apt name the RNG gave me, as I'm swimming in native gold!). Two squads sieged today, one of lashers and one of axegobs, lead by a small squad of blizzard men(not seen gobs bring blizzard men before!),with all gobs mounted on elk birds. I pull everyone inside, tell my ballista operators to ready their weapons, and wait as the gobs hit my small line of cage and weapon trabs over the volcano. Despite not having very many traps(a double line of 5 weapon traps for ten total, fronted by 4 cage traps) none of the squads make it over before a lot of them get diced (and hurled into the volcano) and they give up and go home, leaving me to suspect dodge traps are pretty OP. I might just rip them out(except for the cage traps) and have the bridge be a shooting gallery for my crossbow squad.
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18587 on: January 27, 2012, 07:17:36 pm »

Twin ambushes shortly after the dwarves of Vathezzan came to trade. A diagnoser led the goblins on a merry chase, sustaining minor injuries before the goblins met their end at the hands of the might of Limulunnos.

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18588 on: January 28, 2012, 12:15:54 am »

1) How long do alligator eggs take to hatch?
2) Will a pit trap be ruined if at the end of the fall, the bad guy lands in water?

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #18589 on: January 28, 2012, 06:34:55 am »

I borked the design for my magma cistern.  If I drop the upper level to clean it out (as I'd originally planned), it'll take out part of the bedrooms and storage levels under it.  Whoops.  Wouldn't have happened if I hadn't decided to be greedy and build an extra level lower.  Oh well, I'll fix it somehow.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18590 on: January 28, 2012, 06:50:50 am »

A kobold was found sneaking in the fortress by a militia. He charged it and was stabbed in the neck. He bled to death soon after but not before tearing its brain with his short sword. They died on the same tile.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

mdqp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18591 on: January 28, 2012, 07:29:53 am »

My current fortress is the one I stuck the longest with. I managed to become the capital, but I have no King or Queen alive, so they didn't appear (I got their entourage, with some good soldiers, though!). For some reason, I have only got 3 sieges, and now the goblins don't show up anymore, not even the snatchers (I have seen that the goblins don't have any important leaders, though, so maybe they are already finished?). Now either I start a war with humans, or I dig deeper. I actually tried the last one first and, well... Let's just say that the game crashed to the desktop under the weight of my cave-in traps... Now I wonder if I should try that again or simply change embark, to get some more sieges before having to actively search for !!FUN!!.

pivole

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:gut-rotting brews]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18592 on: January 28, 2012, 07:49:02 am »

I've just started another game. My last fort was enclosed and self sufficient, but I will return to it.
I'm building a surface coastal town, but it decides to freeze from autumn to mid-spring. Even the goddamn sea.
I've only just scraped through this last year.
Also deforested most of the map. Can't find enough non-economic stone. My block of flats is by far too small, and I've settled right by map edge. I should fortify up.
At least I don't have to bother with stone stockpiles!
For glory, Godde and gold in the Virginia Company!

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #18593 on: January 28, 2012, 12:30:53 pm »

After about playing DF for about 4 yrs, I finally focused on one thing, and it finally happened!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #18594 on: January 28, 2012, 12:34:39 pm »

production and hauling had almost dropped to 0 and I was wondering why. Then I noticed the booze stockpile was full of dwarfs. A full half of the population had a drink at the same time. Half of the rest was eating... Yes, 10 dwarfs do not work as hard as 40
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Clockwise Onions

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #18595 on: January 28, 2012, 01:07:35 pm »

I have managed to get steel production up before the end of the first year for once (without resulting in mass starvation). I am excited to start churning out steel goodies. The first goblin ambushers are going to have a NASTY surprise when they walk through the doors.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18596 on: January 28, 2012, 02:11:56 pm »

I tried to reclaim swordthunders.

7 dwarves with embark only skills in axe, spear, and wrestling brought many a forgotten beats down, including Sox, Ab, and some monstrosity of magnetite.

Then Sox Rot hit, and thus my reclaim failed.

Darinford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18597 on: January 28, 2012, 04:19:10 pm »

Started a fort in some untamed wilds (heavily forested), don't like terrifying cause I like stuff that bleeds.  Additionally hunting is a nice way to periodically train up a marksdwarf or two.  The site has lots of dolomite, and tetrahedite so I've got copper armor + silver warhammers till the goblinite starts rolling in.

Nearly lost a miner when I was making my well.  I told them to channel out the whole thing at once which resulted in a nasty fall and many broken bones.  The dwarf has been in the hospital almost a year now and has healed from broken to mere fractures.   Currently a few months into year two and I'm lining the entrance of the fort with large copper serrated discs,  when I have 3-4 layers on the main entrance I'll place some adjacent to the bridges over the rivers but a tile back since I don't want to lose goblinite to the river.

Earlier A large black bear wandered into the fort and got his limbs chopped up by the discs, after which my expert marksdwarf/hunter dispatched him with a few arrows in the spine. 

Presently I'm about to open up cavern layer 1 with the next wave of immigrants.  I've got three dedicated training squads to hammers/swords/spears 3-4 dwarves each with the commander a proficient teacher.  Unfortunately this has left me with no disposable troops; so I'm waiting on another wave of migrants.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18598 on: January 28, 2012, 04:28:56 pm »

The giants very nearly wiped us out, almost nothing could make it through their thick hides, besides Eral Roldethathod's steel sword. They and their Tigerfolk and beak wolf allies very nearly wiped us out, but not quite... Now we face the inevitable riots as people mourn their dead friends, as well as some terrible forgotten beast rising up from below. We can hear it fluttering, somewhere down there... We are down to 41 dwarves, with many more grievously injured. The hospital workers appear to be on strike, and on the whole, I think this may be the end of Earthspirals... But we won't go out without a fight! I'm sending the remnants of the military to meet this beast.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18599 on: January 28, 2012, 06:50:42 pm »

Several events happened in a ridiculously short period of time:
First FB arrived: A giant quadraped made of vomit with deadly spittle.  Luckily it can't fly or swim and it seems to have wandered away, so I'm safe for now.  Am I correct in that vomit FB's are still near-invincible?[/li][/list]

Second siege arrived and would have wiped out my military if the gobbo's hadn't decided to retreat whenever I sealed off the central staircase from the great hall that they were located in.  I also managed to capture their leader: A macelord who blocked or dodged ever serrated disc, bolt, and attack that was sent his way.

Two cyclops arrived within a month of eachother, the first one walked into the old stone traps and died after three, the second one I decided to send my military out to meet, figuring that even as ridiculously weak as they are they should be able to overcome it through sheer numbers.  The battle went something like this:

The cold winter sun shone down upon the cyclops's back as he walked towards the hole in the side of the hill that the dwarves called a fortress.  How dare the little bearded men claim that their hole was greater than his own home!  Today he would teach them respect. 
He started off towards the fortress at a loping run, and suddenly there came a loud horn from inside the fortress, the cyclops grinned, so he would meet these dwarves in glorious battle.  He expected them to come pouring out of the entrance in great waves to greet his terrible, awesome figure, but none came.  He slowed down for a moment.  Where were they? 
Then from inside the fortress came running out a single dwarf, covered in armor and wearing several cloaks, one on top of the other, he charged straight towards the cyclops not veering an inch.  The cyclops grinned, today he would meet a brave and worthy adversary. 
He quickened his pace and the two charged straight towards one another, neither giving or slowing.  They drew closer, and closer, the Dwarf accelerated and ran towards the cyclops, and straight past him.  The cyclops skidded to a halt and turned around, the dwarf continued to run away at top speed away from him.  Enraged by the dwarf's cowardice, the cyclops gave chase, the dwarf merrily avoided him for several minutes, until the cyclops finally caught him with his fist and began to beat on him.  Blow after blow he rained down, but the blows seemed to do no damage, suddenly he felt a great pain on his upper back and he felt as if his lung had collapsed upon itself. he span around to see a dwarf standing there, wielding the most perfect silver war hammer he had ever seen as it was brought down upon his leg.  He fell and immediately he was covered in dwarves, much as Gulliver at Lilliput, they kicked, bit, stabbed and slashed at him mercilessly.
He fell unconscious, and when he awoke he retched, his body was a mangled mess, nothing was recognizable about it.  He looked up and say the same dwarf who had first injured him standing on his chest, the dwarf grinned and said; "You put a pitiful fight, but at least you put up one at all."
And having said embedded his hammer into the cyclops's skull.

The tree farm is producing at last! I am awash in wood of all kinds!  FUEL FOR THE FURNACES! STEEL FOR THE WEAPONS!!!

Also I have received this message for the first time:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
What do you recommend I should do?  Is getting more nobles going to benefit me in any way?
Or are they still completely useless? 
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.
Pages: 1 ... 1238 1239 [1240] 1241 1242 ... 3842