Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1236 1237 [1238] 1239 1240 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099718 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #18555 on: January 25, 2012, 10:50:28 pm »

Iirc, you can make clear glass block as long as you have pearlash.

You can even make crystal glass block, if you are dwarfy enough... (requires sand, pearlash, and rock crystal.. per each block.)

I have over 60,000 blocks dedicated so far, and more than half my population dedicated to the project, so crystal glass is totally out of the question. Clearglass would have totally clearcut my embark site numberous times by now. (Sparse trees. On volcano.)

(Having worked with hot glass before I know that it doesn't matter what color the glass is at those temperatures. It will be bright cherry red. A nice, soothing bright cherry red. That's how I choose to envision the finished product: a flaming red-hot spire piercing the sky, and blanketing the natural interior vegetation in an artificial crimson glow that snuffs out the sun, where it never rains or snows.)

Crystal glass is bugged, which is why Gizogin was confused about the clear glass.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18556 on: January 25, 2012, 11:05:54 pm »

My lovely, hardworking Chief Medical dwarf Monom Uremgusil was brutally slain by a sieging force of White Tigermen... :'( The worst siege I've had so far, and she was for some reason trapped in a small workshop semi-attached to the fort. I should have put doors on them, I suppose... Anyway! She shall have several memorials to her tireless work in the hospital, and one in every dining room!
In other news, Eral Roldethathod, pride of the fortress EarthSpirals, finally earnt herself a title... At the cost of the use of her right hand. :-\ She killed on white tigerwoman, one of the beakwolves who besieged alongside them, but then was left to face two entire squads of invaders on her lonesome. I only know of one dwarf who could succeed against such odds, the Commander, and he was fighting elsewhere. Poor Eral was brought down and thoroughly chewed upon, saved only by her steel helm and the beasts' instinct to go for the head.
Eventually Commander Inod made his way over there, splattering beak wolves left and right with deft strokes of his silver warhammer, but Eral was already grievously wounded. I feared she mightn't make it, but no, she was up and about and back to training after just a short time in the hospital. She reminds me of Monom, Atir rest her soul.

Several dwarves died in the three siege combo, Tigerfolk, beak wolves and dark stranglers shortly after, but I was pleasantly surprised by the effort the newly formed guard squad, The Caves of Innocence, put up... Despite being plucked at random from the surliest, least valuable dwarves of my fortress, they put up a valiant fight, a couple of them proving themselves as decent warriors even after the Captain was killed in the first assault. His replacement, Inod Nomalegom, is very handy with the Exceptional iron short sword that marks his Captain of The Guard status... Shortly after the siege, he put a swift end to one rioting brewer, slicing his head clean off in a single stroke! With some training, perhaps the Caves can become a true fighting force.
Apart from that, not much has occured... Cleaning crundles out of the caverns as usual, making weapons and armour, continuing construction on the towers, and finally giving the stupid mayor a room... After he was beaten twice, once with fists, once with a crutch and silver warhammer, I figure it's time to give the fool a (non-literal for once) break. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18557 on: January 26, 2012, 02:46:12 am »

Spoiler: Capitalism, ho (click to show/hide)
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18558 on: January 26, 2012, 07:13:40 am »

I couldn't get over my impatience about the next release, so I had to play a little fort.

Met werewolves for the first time. For some reason they've never bothered attacking my dwarves ... until this fort. They only came one by one but the visits became rather frequent.

The first werewolf was shot with a wooden bolt in the face. He died on the spot.
 The second werewolf managed to scare some cattle before being shot in the chest, neck and legs. He died quickly.
 The third werewolf waited until a pack of rhesus macaques were turned into pincushions and rushed into my ammo-less militia who were armed with only wooden crossbows. He didn't manage to kill anyone; mainly because he tore off my militia commanders dress and ran up and down the fort whipping the dwarves with it and biting one of them in the hand.

The hand was severed and three dwarves went to the hospital with broken ribs and other minor injuries. Good times.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 07:15:24 am by Aspgren »
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

MaxZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Doot doodoo de doo
    • View Profile
« Reply #18559 on: January 26, 2012, 11:44:59 am »

Inadvertently struck into hell on level 48, anyone else ever found it that high before?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18560 on: January 26, 2012, 02:31:25 pm »

Inadvertently struck into hell on level 48, anyone else ever found it that high before?

Yup, found it on 30 something. World gen loves me :3

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18561 on: January 26, 2012, 06:27:56 pm »

Yep, I've found it as high as 33, it's pretty random how deep you have to dig to break open your box of !!FUN!!, makes mining spoilerite a gamble every time, I've had it so that I mine ot 2-4 strands worth and I'm already opening up box :P

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #18562 on: January 26, 2012, 07:01:16 pm »

If my computer was accessible right now I'd be implementing an absurdly dangerous entrance design for a new fort. A 15z-deep pit, at the bottom of which is a small building with four magmaproof floodgates for doors and a deep spiral ramp inside, and several retractable bridges around the building covering rather deep holes in the ground. And also a rather ominous hole in the wall near the top of the pit. I have two weeks to design the magma reservoir for this project, as well as the magma retrieval system.
くコ:彡

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18563 on: January 26, 2012, 10:38:43 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 07:37:04 am by Ogdibus »

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18564 on: January 26, 2012, 11:07:59 pm »

My trapsmith lost an arm and had her leg shattered by a giant tiger. The tiger was then caught in the trap she just set up. She stood up, limped back to the fort, grabbed food, and went back to work.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18565 on: January 26, 2012, 11:27:26 pm »

I'm working on installing a waterfall in my main dining room.  Work was coming along really well, but then I decided to open up the third reservoir, from which the water enters the main pump stack.

The really big reservoir is fed directly by a river, and the water then goes into the other two.
This means that all the water in the big reservoir is pressurized to four z-levels above what's shown here.  The problem was in the arrangement of the pumps on the next level:

As you can see, all the water was able to flow straight through the axle and into the stairwell, which led to the flooding of the entire water reactor area.  Fortunately, the water then drained through the massive collection basin I had already excavated to collect all the water from the waterfall.  I'm currently working on draining the second reservoir so I can put in a pressure reducer, which should keep this from happening again.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18566 on: January 27, 2012, 12:07:27 am »

I'm paving the map with black bronze.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18567 on: January 27, 2012, 12:41:47 am »

The bane of all fortresses, OCD

Spoiler: FFFFFUUUUUUUUU (click to show/hide)
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18568 on: January 27, 2012, 01:48:16 am »

I'm back with more water-related woes.  I finally got my water reactor fired up, and pumping started well.  Too well.  I had 7/7 water over the entire floor of the dining room before I shut off the intake.  I sealed off the reservoir, let the excess water drain into the basin, and restarted the pumps.  Now I'm in a state of equilibrium, with just enough water in the system to keep it from evaporating, while not overflowing.  My dining room is still drying out, and it now has a brown coating to go with the vomit-green my dwarves keep adding to it.
EDIT:  I just found out there's a rotten dog corpse in the dining room as well.  Things just keep getting better in Soulaxes.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 01:50:44 am by Gizogin »
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

UristMcDonald

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18569 on: January 27, 2012, 01:50:25 am »

My meat industry is roaring. I have crocs laying eggs, many of which are eaten. I have gorillas and other monkeys breeding and being butchered. I'm butchering Capybaras as fast as I can catch 'em. It's awesome!
Pages: 1 ... 1236 1237 [1238] 1239 1240 ... 3842