Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1234 1235 [1236] 1237 1238 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6099959 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #18525 on: January 25, 2012, 04:36:12 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That dwarven girl has grown up to be the pride of the fortress, a militia captain, already skilled with her *silver warhammer* and well on her way to earning herself a title, like the fort's several scarred veterans. :) She took a few injuries during a siege back in 175, a broken right elbow and lower arm, but she's healed up and is good as new. Ever the brave one, her escatic smile didn't leave her face as she lay in hospital swapping tales of battle, and before long she was back up again, assisting the likes of Inod Thosbutoltar Osetnar the Militia Commander, Tun Febaval Ondinthidas Thasdoth the speardwarf, Tulon Idenonam Astal Sanad the axedwarf and her squadmate Urdim Avuzbal, who despite not having a title of his own yet, is experienced enough a soldier to help teach young Eral about dodging and armour use, and other such things.
...Although, no amount of lessons, sparring and demonstrations can match true battle experience, and in that the occasional siege of beak wolves or dark stranglers is rather helpful. The chief Medical Dwarf Monom was almost killed when a large siege of dark stranglers attacked when she was down in the fields, but she is rather a sturdy dwarf and managed to fight them off when they got too close, receiving only a few cuts, bruises and a broken finger before Commander Inod charged in, dealing death and destruction to the foolish stranglers with his silver warhammer. After a short stay in her own hospital in which she was temporarily replaced as Chief Medical Dwarf, she was back up and about, tending to the wounded with her usual cheerful manner.

Just now a new baby girl has been born in my fort, Zasit Unibthoth. I have a bad feeling about this one... She is both a sickly and weak child, and peering into her mind I can tell she craves both adamantine and something called congealed vaporstone... It would be terrible luck if such a child could grow to become the mayor.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18526 on: January 25, 2012, 04:38:51 am »

Aban Oddomkast Abananam Tun, Spear Master has given birth to a girl.

Normally i'd just leave it, but Aban's husband is friends with everyone in the fort, so were his first child to die the fort would die with him. So Aban's been removed from duty and told to mine until then.

It has been decided that all of the corpses of goblins, kobolds and trolls outside will be moved to the bonehoard and summarily atom smashed to conserve the FPS of Limulunnos.

A migrant wave came. Three of them were fit for military service, and were drafted.

We're running a wee bit low on alcohol. I can't make barrels fast enough.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 04:51:21 am by Reudh »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #18527 on: January 25, 2012, 05:15:28 am »

Siege over, all but two goblins have been captured and are being transported to a holding area until they can be properly stripped.
Four injuries total to my dwarves do to the stupidity of an engraver and beserker charges.
Just discovered that I have no soap.  Luckily I have plenty of tallow and potash already made, so its just a matter of getting a dorf to do it.
Agh, third FB came to visit, again through the caverns, and again the antmen killed it. They are going to fry!
What kind of FBs have you been getting?

a lacewing with a bloated body, beware it's poisonous vapors
a crab with a bloated body, beware it's deadly dust
a humanoid made from granite, claws and undulates, beware it's webs

they seem to love attacking things like antmen or bat woman, it's a bit annoying that there are now 2 ant humanoids that have earned names (both dead by now) and one bat thingy. No new FB has arrived yet
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

bobcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18528 on: January 25, 2012, 05:32:47 am »

In a word?  !!Fun!!

Things were going well.  My best, longest lived fort so far.  A forgotten beast showed up, and I assumed it would be a piece of cake like the countless others my military had ably handled.  The beast itself was killed without even striking any of my dwarfs.  But then something odd happened.  A bunch of my dwarfs nearby started running around like crazy.  Then they suddenly died of massive blood loss.  Which I thought was rather strange. It was a large blow.  Over half my legendary military gone in a matter of moments.  But, fun is fun and we must move on.  The survivors went back to training with no ill effects.

Then I can only assume that all the dwarves who came to collect the bodies and equipment walked through all that blood and picked up the syndrome, tracking it back up to the main fort.  Now there's about 50 corpses exploding blood all over my hospital.  Some tried to crawl their way back to their rooms, spewing infected blood everywhere.  In total, I've lost about 120 in the past 10 minutes.  The tantrums have started.  So, with nothing to lose, I sent my remaining military down to visit the circus.  Ironically, that's now the safest place in the fort.  They seem to be handling the clowns alright with the help of some spike traps, meanwhile everyone else is explosively vomiting blood.  Berserk children roam the upper floors assaulting their elders.

20 more have died while I write this.  Those still unaffected by the disease are tantruming, except the bonecrafter in a mood who seems oblivious to the carnage around him.

Edit:  One of the children decided this was a great time to throw a party.  No one attended, and the burden of partying alone drove the poor lad stark raving mad.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 05:45:51 am by bobcat »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18529 on: January 25, 2012, 07:11:00 am »

My gem setter was passed over for selection as Chief Medical Officer even though he had the exact same diagnostician skill as the guy who got it. He immediately began making gem arrangements of the new chief medical officer being surrounded by vermin. Sometimes the best most immersing parts of this game aren't the murder beasts from a time before time going on a killing spree, they're one guy venting after a bad day at work.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 07:15:08 am by Broseph Stalin »

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18530 on: January 25, 2012, 08:11:17 am »

Definitely, Broseph.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18531 on: January 25, 2012, 09:07:04 am »

above-ground trees are getting a bit dangerous to get, so underground tree farms are getting started. Should have done this earlier, 4 lost to a goblin ambush. 3 not worthy of acknowledgement, but also a grandmaster grower. Traps and human caravan guards took the remaining goblins out before my militairy even arrived

On a more positive note, our Giant tiger has just given birth, and It's a boy. Inbreeding was considered and dismissed as worth the risk. Giant War Tigers all around!
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 09:09:07 am by Garath »
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18532 on: January 25, 2012, 09:12:19 am »

I have a planter who lost both forearms to goblins.  This was after his exposure to FB extract, which gave him a perpetual fever and endless vomiting.  He's now completely useless.  He can't haul anything (no hands), so he also can't do any crafting.  I removed him from the military so he'd stop giving error spam from trying and failing to pickup equipment.  I also had to disable all his labors for the same reason.  Now he's just a pointless drain on my resources.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #18533 on: January 25, 2012, 09:14:26 am »

Yeah, massive inbreeding doesn't seem to have any negative effects.

Why nobody has tried to create a fort in which the dwarves are horribly inbred is beyond me...maybe it's just that it would be a huge time sink?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18534 on: January 25, 2012, 09:26:33 am »

I have a planter who lost both forearms to goblins.  This was after his exposure to FB extract, which gave him a perpetual fever and endless vomiting.  He's now completely useless.  He can't haul anything (no hands), so he also can't do any crafting.  I removed him from the military so he'd stop giving error spam from trying and failing to pickup equipment.  I also had to disable all his labors for the same reason.  Now he's just a pointless drain on my resources.
He may actually be the most invaluable dwarf in your fortress. check his preferences, if he's a cheap date then he's definitely important. Since he can't do anything all he'll do for the rest of his life is talk to people. All the people. All of them. He'll get so popular they'll inevitably make him mayor taking up the slot of Noble McSladelover, his cheap mandates could save you alot of magma.

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18535 on: January 25, 2012, 11:05:13 am »

Finally made up my mind on a general floor-plan, so the first workshops, bedrooms, and dining hall are being carved out of the mountain, with some storage and farms in a small soil hill. This map has a ton of iron, and supposedly some flux (seems to me that it will be deep marble for the flux though) so the wood burners are getting started early to get a head start on fuel needs.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18536 on: January 25, 2012, 11:41:17 am »

the goblins sent a 'diplomat' with their army. He's pink and looks like an &, and is appearantly immune to magma. The rest of his army isn't. I'd let my mayor meet him, but it's an undemanding mayor so far

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #18537 on: January 25, 2012, 11:44:59 am »

Clown for diplomat, eh?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18538 on: January 25, 2012, 01:09:19 pm »

I... Words cannot express how I feel right now...

Spoiler: The joke explained (click to show/hide)
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18539 on: January 25, 2012, 02:23:53 pm »

Too bad you can't give him golem hands out of gauntlets and mechanisms. Can you put him in a military uniform with no weapon or is he unable to put on any clothing at all? Can he do architecture or diagnosis or do you need hands for those things?
Pages: 1 ... 1234 1235 [1236] 1237 1238 ... 3842