Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1226 1227 [1228] 1229 1230 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6100387 times)

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #18405 on: January 19, 2012, 09:59:59 pm »

Siege -  raise the bridge and set the alert for everyone inside the walls. No problem.

Uh oh... they have goblins riding giant bats? Apparently they're dumb bats that can't figure out how to fly over my two-story walls. Theyneed to see a guy it looks like, so I'm luring them one or so at a time for practice to my dwarves. It's not too hard to kill a bat, and not too hard to slaughter teh goblin taht falls off. Shame though... both of my marksdwarves were injured. One was injured by falling off the wall on thew rong side... though by some miracle his bolts scared off the goblins that were there. ha.

It will be so epic in like 20 years when the game is advanced enough that we might actually see waves of bat riding goblins tear toward the fortress and get dropped in a hail of crossbow-fire from the hundreds (yes hundreds) of marksdwarves on the walls - with flaming arrows...oh yes.

"Sir! The dwarves have retreated behind their walls!"
"No matter, we shall fly over them!"
"FIRE"
"What? OH SHI-"
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Clockwise Onions

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #18406 on: January 19, 2012, 11:47:51 pm »

Epic tantrum spiral sent a thriving fort of 50 down to 7. Ocurred right after three FBs spawned near-simultaneously, which I didn't even know was possible, into the second cavern layer at the same time I breached it. The FBs managed to kill about 3 dwarfs before the wall got up. I thought "Alrighty, not bad". Then I started getting cascades of announcements of dwarves throwing tantrums, going crazy, being struck down, etc. I guess those 3 guys were the social center of the fort and without them life wasn't worth living.  ::)

*BREAKING* while typing this post I got a large migrant wave!... that was promptly slaughtered by several ambushes... Also, mayor wants adamantine stuff. Lots o' fun!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18407 on: January 20, 2012, 12:52:29 am »

So I need a tomb for the first dwarven baroness in history. What better for a glacier fort than a massive tower that touches the sky? The slaves workers were constructing the room at the very top of the tower, when a piece of stone collapsed. The piece of stone and more importantly THE CHILD THAT WAS STANDING ON IT FELL SO HARD AS TO PUNCH THROUGH 13 STORIES OF DWARVEN MASONRY as well as a level of snow and soil on ground level AND the masonry in a corridor beneath that to explode (literally) on impact hard enough to seriously injure 3 dwarves with the impact of his bones and organs against them and cause minor injury to 2 more. His arms were torn off at the third and first levels, respectively. The only thing that probably stopped him from punching through to the corridor beneath that and then the caverns was a sole swordsdwarf recruit who broke his fall. One of the kid's feet went back outside the hole in the cieling and landed on the snow outside.

Luckily, construction will continue on schedule.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18408 on: January 20, 2012, 03:20:00 am »

People talkeda bout my post! I feel so happy, I could eat a hippopotamus. You know, if I had one.

The siege was never really broken - only a few squads were returned. There is still another couple groups of bat-riding and alligator-riding goblins around contimplating their strategy. Meanwhile, all my wounded are slowly dying of thirst. My water supply is too meager and too far away, being a half-full pool fed by a seasonal pond. Then, to top it off, I start running out of booze. It's only a temporary problem, but I still lost a mason to it.

So... with the siege being stopped only by a pathing issue, I decide to be daring. I figure I can lure them in with a temporary bridge down, and then laugh as the bridge disappears. Then I can pick them off with my marksdwarf behind a fortifaction. I have two sieges, and I shouldn't let that multiply to three. Yeah... It didn't work out that way. I didn't see the trolls, and I couldn't reach the lever to close the the bridge. Then, I couldn't lower the backup bridge as trolls scared all thsoe guys away. Then the door to my inner most circle was jammed open by corpses.

I'm not exactly sure how I survived, but I have exactly 3 military now (from 14), and I have 30 dead dwarves. Then, to top it off, I found that the inner bridge... isn't connected to it's lever. Yeah... that didn't work as planned. 
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18409 on: January 20, 2012, 05:48:49 am »

just got a poisonous gas FB in the second cavern...that was composed of mud. He promptly went after the group of batmen hanging out nearby. Now I have a friendly named bat woman blowgunner! Is there any way to induce her to come into my fort?
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18410 on: January 20, 2012, 07:13:28 am »

Not without using external tools, I don't think so.

I got a Olm Man Spearmaster that killed two FBs on his own and is the last survivor of his tribe.
I set up a little shrine down in the caverns for him. :D

Good old Blockedportals the Olm Man.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #18411 on: January 20, 2012, 09:31:05 am »

great, new embark, volcano with a nice flat tropical forrest in front, where does the freaking driver park the wagon? right on the steepest slope. I guess we should be happy he didn't park in the volcano itself. Cart is wrecked though, and the contents scattered everywhere
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Pad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18412 on: January 20, 2012, 04:48:56 pm »

In one year, I managed to create only 37 985 ☼ in order to attract few migrants (and invaders). I have been thinking that it was working when the two first waves of migrants were of 2 and 5 each. And now, NOW, only one year after the founding of my first and not even 50k ☼ created, there's a wave of 24 useless migrants. Not even one with an interesting skill !

Needless to say, I have no bedrooms for them, my barracks aren't ready so no mass drafting yet and I have no way to cause them an unfortunate accident neither. Gonna be hard to keep them occupied.

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18413 on: January 20, 2012, 05:40:18 pm »

Started a fort in Genesis yesterday on a glacier with the intention of making a huge spire of ice rising from the ground for nobles to live in, complete with forced military or mining conscription and iron-fisted law enforcement.

I got a bit bored while the miners were digging away the ice we'd need and decided to send Vabok Daggerwound, the hammerdwarf and designated peacekeeper, to beat up a mammoth that a hunter had left vomiting and stunned by the entrance. Somehow the mammoth woke up the second Vabok arrived and beat her within an inch of her life, shattering most of her ribs and piercing some important organs. I had actually embarked with a skilled doctor, for once, so a hasty hospital was set up and Iton Razorpapers took a look at Vabok. Due to being in a frozen wasteland, though, there was no water to clean with (both of the cavern layers that the miners hurriedly looked through were completely dry) so not much could be done for poor Vabok and she died of dehydration shortly.

Apparently, the hunter Ezum Strengthpaddle had been good friends with Vabok and wasn't happy with her death. Fitting of her personality ("she is in a constant state of internal rage"), she started several "fist fights" with the other dwarves by smashing them senselessly with her (copper crossbow) until nothing her size was left to beat up. She ended up going berserk, taking on one of the migrating mammoths and getting crushed under its massive feet.

And that's how I lost an entire fortress before the first migrant wave without any invaders or malicious wildlife.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 05:41:55 pm by trees »
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
  • RAW RAW OUT THINK THA POWAH!!!
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
« Reply #18414 on: January 20, 2012, 05:49:14 pm »

So after the drowning fiasco of last fort I manage a fool proof plan.

I have a couple of barrows set up to avoid major catastrophe.

First off to make sure that my broker gets trading to help my fort instead of being on break I made a barrow for him called GTFIHYWPOS

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And secondly to make sure the new pond for the medics fills and doesn't drown the fort I've assigned a barrow around the switch and assigned a dwarf to it named YBNLUDYWSOAB

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also my military came away with a named giant kill his name is Gorno and he is flashing so I guess that's good.
Yours is the fort that will pierce the hells!

Oh look, A DF blog.

This is a goblin skull loo. all craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with troll teeth.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18415 on: January 20, 2012, 06:06:07 pm »

Yaaaah! This is EPIC BATTLE!
So Earthspirals, possibly the fort with the worst living conditions in the entirety of Zeslor, came under attack by dark stranglers. Since the things are nowhere near as deadly as beakwolves, the rag-tag, poorly armed militia simply charged out, rounding them up and killing them with an odd assortment of home-made copper weaponry and a couple of looted steel crossbows.
Then, just as Inod Thosbutoltar the ace hammerdwarf was finishing off the stragglers, there came a second siege... This time a massive force of beak wolves. Thankfully, Inod was wise enough to obey the overseer's command to get everyone inside, and as the 'wolves ran wild over the surrounding countryside slaughtering livestock and the occasional stupid dwarf, Eartspirals armed itself. The Armoured Clods, a squad that had been wiped out or crippled the year before, was re-stocked with poorly armed expendables, and then, they charged.
Right now, there is a very cool confrontation going on right in the entrance hall... The newly-appointed captain Ilral Datangutid died quickly, but Inod and a drafted potter Idenonam were there to take her place... I expected the latter to also meet a swift death, but after taking a few hits his eyes narrowed, his breathing slowed, and he began to... go into a trance? Long story short, the peaceful, harmless potter, armed with a bronze battle axe, has just slain three beakwolves in a row with swift blows to the head, one even decapitated.
But there are many, many more...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Kc_spot

• Bay Watcher
  • RAW RAW OUT THINK THA POWAH!!!
    • View Profile
    • DFnoob
« Reply #18416 on: January 20, 2012, 07:11:45 pm »

PAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH.

I'm in a good biome. And a unicorn wanted to test my cage traps.

HAHAHAHA SUCKER HOPE YOU NET ME LOTS O DWARFBUX FROM THE HUMAN CARAVAN COMING UP.
Yours is the fort that will pierce the hells!

Oh look, A DF blog.

This is a goblin skull loo. all craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with troll teeth.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18417 on: January 20, 2012, 07:13:58 pm »

Urist McKiwi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18418 on: January 20, 2012, 07:24:23 pm »

I got myself a major river embark with no lag. Unfortunately, the aquifer is slowing progress...but I plan to breach it from the surface in winter, then seal it away so I can get through and get some stone/metal/whatever. Deep soil isn't so bad....I can grow a LOT of food in this place.

Of course, the fort does not at present have a door or drawbridge. Should have a hatch soon....getting enough wood for the walls was fun.

The woodworker has thus far, instead of making the hatch that will finally give us some safety:

-ignored orders not to haul things and gone to haul stuff out of the wagon
-Dismantled the wagon, instead of the other dwarves who had the right labours enabled
-ignored the pile of logs to claim that there is no wood supply
-Gone for a drink
-Gone to sleep
-Decided he'd like to eat something
-Stood around gazing into space.

Hopefully soon he'll get on with it.

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18419 on: January 20, 2012, 08:03:21 pm »

And that's how I lost an entire fortress before the first migrant wave without any invaders or malicious wildlife.

Except a mammoth.
Pages: 1 ... 1226 1227 [1228] 1229 1230 ... 3842