Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1204 1205 [1206] 1207 1208 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6102121 times)

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #18075 on: January 08, 2012, 08:26:14 am »

First blood. Horse 1 - Cougar 0. Also, food for a few months.

Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18076 on: January 08, 2012, 08:54:37 am »

After no goblin sightings for a while, I was worried my military might actually get trained above adequate.
Fortunately, a human caravan came and brought lots of goblins with it.

!! My bridge design works !!
Some goblin macemen charged ahead of the others. They were greeted by jaguars&tigers&bears (and an angry racoon too)
The rest of the ambush that clumped together got "thinned" by my bridge.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

After most of them are dead, Sthad Uruhel (I only track the first 3 / last 3 letters in name) was sent to clear the remaining macegob and bowgob.
Though his choice of tactics was questionable, he beat them with only a few bruises.
This is especially important since he is the only survivor of the Goblin Seige Master attack, and is by far my most well trained and well educated dwarf.

So the dwarves celebrated by drinking with the humans and pulling out the bling-bling dining room set.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18077 on: January 08, 2012, 08:57:00 am »

When the next set of elves show up, I will butcher them with my new super-tough army of 16. The seventeenth bugged out one who got stuck in hospital died of thirst, making him the first dwarf to die in Limulunnos, followed by the herbalist and siege operator who were caught outside with the siegers.

Methinks that when this fort dies, this world will be archived and set aside for a new world. I may be on 31.25 but this is a 31.18 fort, hence no rock pots or nests or anything.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18078 on: January 08, 2012, 09:07:12 am »

Summer has arrived with me finished draining the pool blocking the dining room, potentially saving many drowning-related deaths. An elephant herd came and went without much fusses.

EDIT: During the summer, kobolds have already arrived, foreboding much worse to come. Buzzards came and hauled away all the food but I still have my horses so I'd be fine. I've set up a total of 9 bear traps, which killed 4 buzzards. These (buffed) wooden spiked balls are pretty boss, maybe I'd nerf them again *laugh*. Lots of rain happened in the summer, making cleaning up the pool an absolute chore. I've also found a copper vein while digging out the bed room, allowing me to increase the amount of diggers. The new auto-smeling feature is so awesome I constantly paused to look at the smelter, wasting precious time when it's intended to save time... Too bad I have no good smithy to take advantage of the new ore. the 2 blacksmiths came with the summer immigrant waves were BOTH NOVICE and in fact I received no good immigrant out of that 9 guys. The RNG goddess wasnt on my side this summer.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 10:41:39 am by rephikul »
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18079 on: January 08, 2012, 03:33:59 pm »

The caravan is due shortly and should see my fortress upgraded to the capital.

Wait, what's this? A wild hydra appears. Oh.

Edit: Killed it. No deaths. Two dwarves have broken bones. Thank Kermit for candy.

Edit 2: I lied. Looks like a baby was used as a dwarven shield.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 05:14:09 pm by Newbunkle »

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18080 on: January 08, 2012, 06:40:16 pm »

First siege hit clashdagger, killed half my military, and all of the traders and their guards from the mountain home. Perhaps my first 2D fortress in over a year shouldn't have been a "no marksdwarves" fort... Oh well, frees up some of the armour, and my steel plate suits are almost done, so the next batch of soldiers should fare better. On the plus side, one of the surviors is now an axe lord and if his hand ever heals from that stray bolt he tried to catch he'll be leading my military for a bit and the rest of the survivors skilled up a fair bit from the fight.
Unfortunately, there is a wave of unhappyness right now, as some of those killed were husbands, wives, and parents to other dwarves in the fortress. So far it seems one good meal is neough for most of them to get over it, the ones who are clinging to their bad mood seems to be the wounded, who have nothing to do but wait for the rest to get food and water for them. Only one person went crazy from the mess, a trapper with one leg, and an injured left first finger, who went berserk and the hammerdwarf next to him in the barracks woke up, splattered him on a wall, then promptly got a snack, before the trapper even left the bed he was in.

These unicorns are getting really obnoxious, I knew they would add some challenge to the fort but they have more kills than the goblins, and the  chasm, cave river,  and magma creatures combined. They stream in from the woods, and get slaughtered, but one good shot with that horn and my dwarf bleeds or suffocates shortly after. They even claimed my fortress's first axe lord - the axelord took about 12 of the damnable things down with him but one got lucky and pierced his heart before his axe cut it to bits. for creatures that are thought to be peaceful, the ones living near clashdagger are very aggressive - so much so that they even run up to my gates to maul the peasents going out to haul wood!
The elves are, unsurprisingly, fond of them, it seems, and took offense to my offer of a unicorn totem encrusted in diamonds and studded with silver. Those damned pointy ears are getting uneasy with how little of the local forests are left near the fortress, I feel their hatred of us rising with each spring, I'm not sure how long this facade of friendship will last, but I'm damn sure when it ends our axes will settle the matter quickly.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18081 on: January 08, 2012, 08:27:30 pm »

I found a glorious new embark, it's got wide open flat areas and only one major cliff, a perfect classic /\ volcano and enough soil to get a decent farm. The best part is the Bravemule style architecture I'm experimenting with, the majority of the fortress is a huge Rhyolite tower where laborers will work and live but underneath it I'm going to engrave every surface and decorate everything with gold and silver in a disgustingly dorfy decadence and the nobility and skilled laborers will never be bothered to leave it. There's also enough aluminum visible to make Mithril weapons and armor for my squad leaders.

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18082 on: January 08, 2012, 08:58:20 pm »

My Reservoir Flooded. I left the Floodgate open through Winter to My Dwarves could go lick up the small amounts of Water left in the Pipes.
Then it suddenly melted.
No damage. Just a Room Ill miss, and no real way to repair the Damage.
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

Kassil

• Bay Watcher
  • Zenarchist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18083 on: January 08, 2012, 10:54:38 pm »

Lost another miner due to a misapplied aquifer tap, but now things are again proceeding. Once the Waterwheel Array is complete, it will generate a tidy 7200 UristWatts of power - more than ample for my pumpstack to draw magma up and power my forges.
Wheelbarrows with wheels are inferior to the true wheelbarrow.
you mean elves with loads of stone loaded onto their backs while walking on their hands with dwarves holding their legs to guide them?

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18084 on: January 08, 2012, 11:34:07 pm »

Siege broken. Gobbos got bored and left.
Struck a massive vein of bituminous coal, which will last the metal industry another year or so.

The recruit failed his mood and went melancholy and resumed his previous job as 'clerk' (Novice Record Keeper being his only job)
Another recruit had a child and was returned to her civilian duties.

There's also the dead to be recovered from the attack, just two dwarves killed.

Another mood almost immediately afterwards- a craftsdwarf workshop was taken over and the user appears to be making something out of bones. Hooray for Legendary Bone Carver- bone bolts for everyone!

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18085 on: January 08, 2012, 11:43:28 pm »

XD I am still laughing at how clashdagger died.. during the yearly irrigation lever-pull, before I could lock the door, a "stark raving mad" mood failer ran in, dropped a sock in the doorway, and the water rushed out, preventing anyone from closing the lever... My entire fortress is underwater save a few lucky dwarves bedrooms and stockpiles with closed doors, who are waiting to starve or dehydrate since there is no way out without death. XD Dammit Zas Tobulsa`krith, you managed to kill 148 dwarves, with one sock.

And thus ends my latest 2D fort :) it was fun, I might do another... no more fucking unicorns though, I'd rather have zombie elephants.

MAurelius

• Bay Watcher
  • Philosopher King
    • View Profile
    • Marcus Aurelius Let's Play
« Reply #18086 on: January 09, 2012, 12:35:13 am »

Beginning of year 3 with my new Genesis fort: Axeflash.

After ruining a few forts learning all the bazillion new crops and ores and workshops.

So far I love Genesis for these three reasons: Rock bins. Rock trap components. Rock bolts (well, technically rock tipped bolts - you still need logs, but they are more effective than pure wood bolts).

I haven't even got to the main reason why people love it - the different types of siegers, but I have had fun trading with new races the Keepers, the Nords, The Dunedwellers, and the Dusk Elves. I'm excited about meeting the (friendly) orcs...I hope they're around in this world, and their samurai-style culture.

Only problem has been supersonic migration rates and a weird embark where there is rock in the higher ground (more inland), ruining my stockpile/farm/pasture area, and soil/clay in some random places, in one instance ruining one (deep) floor of my housing (though I just dug out the walls and rebuilt them with stone...hope my dwarves can't tell the difference).

Military is a bit lagging at this point due to lack of combat-worthy metal but I'm danger-rooming my two equipped guys and I have about 5 more waiting in the wings. First assault I'm gonna let my stone weapon traps handle it. Food is plentiful. Booze is plentiful. Stone is actually moving due to all the new things to do with it so I haven't had to exploit a quantum stockpile. Heck, you can even *grind* stone away to get rid of it while training you dwarves.

Really hoping to find some good ores. In my initial excavation I found some magnetite and flux (marble) is everywhere but no more iron ores. I haven't built one yet but Genesis has a workshop called the crucible where you can make steel with only iron, you don't need pig iron. There are also some training type workshops I have never tried so I will be playing with then before the inevitable fall of Axeflash. Seems like caverns are a bit lower in Genesis which I like. Haven't really explored it but have discovered layer one.

Don't know where he got it, but my militia commander, The Batdwarf, found a sea monster mythskin (I think that's what it is, not playing right now) cloak. Pretty snazzy.

I just would appreciate a slower game, like say 10-15 migrants a year only, maybe invasions/ambushes wait a few years more. Hopefully one day that's something we'll be able to edit in advanced worldgen.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18087 on: January 09, 2012, 12:38:38 am »

I actually survived my first goblin ambush this time. Only a few deaths. I had unfortunately left a corner open on an external wall when I was expanding, and they came in through there, completely circumventing the trap-laden entry hall.

My horde of war dogs helped chase them off.

I trapped several of them in cages and am in the process of melting their everything so that I can make some dwarven armor.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

catenate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #18088 on: January 09, 2012, 03:08:48 am »

Unleashed the ampersands before even my first goblin ambush.  Like an idiot I sent the entire militia after the first one before I realized there were 97 more behind it.  Only two children survived, but they couldn't be bothered to pull the levers to seal off the doomed hamlet from the outside world, or themselves into the food-and-drink-stocked saferoom.  (Most of the ampersands  formed a seance square around a tetrahedrite artifact table I used at the centerpiece of my other, lower dining room.)

Soon after, 13 migrants came to be slaughtered.  At two adults left, I had the presence of mind to set up a burrow to confine them to the saferoom, but somehow an ampersand finally got in through the 1-square drawbridge (which I thought was up, finally, but I couldn't tell from its symbol, and neither t nor q told me--maybe I should always make drawbridges at least two squares wide, to make it obvious) and slaughtered the last two.

Be a while before I take on the maybe-half-flooded, ampersand-infested reclaim.  Since I dug holes into magma for forges and smelters, but didn't cover them yet, maybe it'll have some obsidian.  :P
Couverture: A chocolate-covered mod brings you a dark chocolate figurine of the deity of agriculture looking offended.

aban avuzsazirmafol tunur … kib saziradilîton kezkďg ugoshódkelid shatagistrath … kirondatanavuz ustosteshkad angngotololum―Bomonolthîkut fragments

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
  • Either a Doomsday Device or an Ice Cream maker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18089 on: January 09, 2012, 04:16:52 am »

I'm filling the death pit underneath my drawbridge with magma. I've gotten tired of things surviving the fall so I think 2zlvls of red hot death at the bottom will probably take care of any survivors. Plus I can dump garbage in there. It takes two pump stacks a 7 level and a 24 level pump stack to bring this stuff to the surface, its powered by 17 windmills through miles and miles of drive shafts. Right now everything is chugging along at 1fps.  I'm filling a surface reservoir that I can tap for other uses, like a FTW device.
Pages: 1 ... 1204 1205 [1206] 1207 1208 ... 3842