Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5965908 times)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #180 on: November 09, 2009, 11:13:46 pm »

I'm liking my speardwarves, honestly. Not as messy as axe or hammerdwarves, they just seem to run up to the goblin/human (one of the two goblin civs at war with me always sends humans with their ambushes, think they conquered a human civ) and leave a corpse. Not as awesome as smacking a goblin 300 squares into a wall, but it's clean and very quick. No running halfway across the map before realizing your target is dead, just stab and move on. Spears are dwarfy just for their efficiency, which leaves you free to do other inefficient stuff since your dwarves aren't walking across the map to pick up one exploded goblin toe.

And of course, if I want to explode goblins, I can drop them onto my giant weapon traps. A place for everything, everything it it's place.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Dunc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 10, 2009, 01:53:48 am »

I've got adamantium, a queen, and a satanic temple situated over a vertical tunnel down to HFS.

During that whole time I didn't bother building up a good hand-to-hand military... so i've had to violate my usual aversion to crossbows and rely on them for defence while I get my sword and axe regiments ready.

I have withstood my first siege, it was a bit too easy to be honest. The goblin squad of maybe 15was advancing toward a bridge over my moat. Along beside their path was some of my castle grounds that my force were being dispatched from, so my marksdwarves picked off six of their number before they could even get face to face with my men. The goblins then decided to not even go over the bridge, they instead veered away from my fortress to try and pick off dwarves that were stranded in the woods outside. A few marksdwarves continued to shoot at them while my sword regiment ran in and cut them up a bit, then charged into the retreating goblins. Overall they left I think eleven corpses and had a few guys get away.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 10, 2009, 04:10:38 am »

I just used the lovely MEGA-HIGH WATERFALL map that's in the forums somewhere around here. I'm setting it out now, complete with my dining room situated with a lovely view of the water~
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 10, 2009, 02:50:11 pm »

well, one of my research forts (the fort I have on my laptop so I can play DF while at work) has made an interesting discovery, and a hastilly constructed secondary research outpost confirmed it, another way to infinitely destroy water, probably a bug.

I am pretty sure that the conditions necessary are to embark on the coast

of course, it sucks because the way I found out was that I was trying to pressurize water to Z99, drop it to z98 and have it flood up into the entrance chamber of my fort (also on z99) and that means my fort's drowning chamber is completely useless.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Fien

• Bay Watcher
  • I kinda miss 40d, I knew how that worked.....sorta
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 10, 2009, 03:43:53 pm »

One of my miners just found a magma pipe. Now for the fun job of trying to dig out enough of it to set up a forge and smelter.
In his house at Fondledbread, bored Cthulhu sits playing.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 10, 2009, 04:24:06 pm »

For some unknown reason, my entire fortress population has just burst into flame and as I speak, my population has dropped from aorund 70 to around 20, and falling.

It's Awesome.

Plus, when I reclaim, I'm going to get incredible engravings.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 10, 2009, 05:20:41 pm »

My farmer just ousted my bookkeeper as mayor. Not surprising, really, half the fortress loves her and she's pretty talented. She won't be that hard to manage either, she mostly likes fine pewter and bolts. I can import the pewter, and I mass produce bolts for my marksdwarves anyways. Not that my old mayor was problem, the only irritating thing she liked was rings which I'd occasionally get from goblin or orc champions. I'm about to build a lobotomizer for the incoming nobles as just in case. I'm debating between a quick death to rid myself of them as soon as possible or a slow, agonizing death. Either way, I'll be furnishing their rooms with pitchblende just because I can.

The orcs finally came back, I thought they'd given up on Dentedcastle after I drowned four of their local leaders in a single siege. They're a welcome relief from the goblin ambushes, honestly, while I miss the caravans having to keep my marksdwarves and spear dwarves on duty at all times to protect my haulers (who were in limited supply since the dwarves hadn't made it to the fortress in years) was getting old. This time it was the marksdwarves who killed most of them, since they brought no snipers. Towards the end I decided spears would be cleaner than drowning so I let the ones who fell into the pit out and had my infantry kill them. No deaths in that siege, just a missed human caravan.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

MelloHero

• Bay Watcher
  • 無基督、我無也。
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 10, 2009, 09:57:18 pm »

I don't know if the dorfs are superstitious as to read into this, but my water feature in the dining hall, which includes two mist generators fed from the river above, just had a very surprised carp flow through it and come up flopping on the mayor's dining table.
Even if you have dwarves decked out in cotton candy they will still have fun with clowns.

Fien

• Bay Watcher
  • I kinda miss 40d, I knew how that worked.....sorta
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 10, 2009, 10:21:39 pm »

For some unknown reason, my entire fortress population has just burst into flame and as I speak, my population has dropped from aorund 70 to around 20, and falling.

It's Awesome.

Plus, when I reclaim, I'm going to get incredible engravings.

Dwarf Fort: Where your fort mysteriously burning with all inside is future awesomeness.
In his house at Fondledbread, bored Cthulhu sits playing.

A-chana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 11, 2009, 07:11:05 am »

A kobold thief showed up practically as soon as the wagons of the dwarf caravan showed up. He somehow got mangled very horribly before I could even start getting my military ready to beat him up/chase him off. I like to think he got run over by every single wagon, which just went on like nothing happened.

It's kind of pathetic, too. Seriously, now the actual caravan guards are showing up, and they're ignoring his mangled, unconscious form. We'll see what my dwarves do-- nope, he's dead from being run over so much, and a buddy just showed up to harass a hunter. I drafted her, and she chased him off.

I still love how the civ screen says I export death to Kobolds.

EDIT: A bunch of my dwarves ran off somewhere -- they're cleaning up a huge, bloody mess of wolf bodies. I suspect wagons ran them over, but when? Does the dwarven diplomat come with wagons (she's already left, so the wagons could have gotten them on the way out)? What about bodyguards (one or two wolves are missing body parts unlike the Kobold, although the blood splatter pattern is still a lot like the one the Kobold left behind).

Either way, if these dwarves can act fact, we'll have delicious wolf meat. And I was just starting to fix the food shortage problem, too.

Good God, there're severed wolf legs everywhere, even a severed lower body. This is hilarious. Best caravan ever, barring the ones where the merchants are intentionally killed in spectacular way.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 08:12:50 am by A-chana »

prism indigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 11, 2009, 08:07:21 am »

Nothing. One of my favorite dwarves just got seriously injured from a sparring incident. Only the original 7 are here. No migrants. No particuarly awesome things are going on anyway. Not even the nearby slimes (Using the dig deeper mod) are coming close to the fort.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #191 on: November 11, 2009, 09:17:40 am »

Casting a large block of obsidian, 47x47 and 15 Z-levels tall (could potentially reach 16, but it'll require some elaborate raising bridge placement on the very top Z-level of the map to prevent spillage). Once done, I'll carve it into a cylindrical tower with 4 pillars in the corners. Meanwhile, my dwarves are chilling out in my dining halls and getting married at an alarming rate (had 5 or 6 in a single year at one point) - my population is limited to 60 until the tower is complete, at which point the underground portion of my fort will be emptied out and turned into storage space.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

A-chana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 11, 2009, 09:57:12 am »

Minor update on mine: oh god one of mine went into a fey mood and he's demanding silk cloth. I have no silk at all, barring whatever these guys came in wearing. This is going to end badly. Does personality affect insanity (this dwarf is angered very easily, so I'm thinking he'll go berserk)?

Unlike the time my hunter got shredded by a wolf and didn't cause a tantrum spiral, I'll probably keep this death (not that I really have good alternatives -- a lot of stuff transpired between this and my last backup, and I save right before he claimed a clothier's workshop -- I lack materials for clothes, period) if it ends in something resembling Fun. Like he kills everyone. That'd be amazing.

It's just too bad he's named after one of my favorite characters from the source I got their naming theme from. This better end in hilarity.

EDIT: Oh my gosh, and now someone started up a party about fifty feet away from Mr. Silk Plz. If he does end up going berserk, it will be the best.

EDIT 2: ohgod, migrants. ohgod, migrants. Why now of all times? On the plus side, that means I can rename one of them something like Urist McSilkPlz II. I'll probably keep updating this post until the inevitable insanity.

EDIT 3: Yep, he did go beserk. A slightly-damaged war dog took him down quickly, though. That wasn't quite as fun as I had hoped, so I'll try stationing a couple wimpy recruits and get the dog's owner distracted. If I'm going to have a mostly-inevitable death, I want to cause as much damage as possible. :D

EDIT 4: Let his run wild for as long as possible before the war dog returned from following his master. No other military interference. He killed one of the unnicknamed new migrants, then murdered two female civilians, mangled the heart of a male, and was then mauled by the dog. Somehow, Mangled Heart isn't dead yet.

I did mention I only had one coffin in preparation, right? miasma time plz.

Sadly, no tantrum spiral. Yet. Rotting corpses might change that, since I want an underground burial.

ps, scratch that on Mangled Heart. He's dead. I have to go now, so I'll end this post. No updates on the bodies unless they lead to Fun.

I love this game.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 11:47:40 am by A-chana »

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 11, 2009, 02:31:49 pm »

I've begun putting together my first military, which was all elite wrestlers (There were 4 of them), just in time for the first of two goblin ambushes to show up. I managed to kill three of the badies and captured one of them. They, in return, managed to make one of my dwarves jump into a pond(He died), and they got another one, which means my diminutive coffin space is already filled up with 4 dead dwarves on the year. In addition, they managed to give a yellow wound to one of my Elites, so I hope he'll recover when the seasons change. Thankfully, the migrants showed up, along with an elven caravan, which I promptly walled into the trade depot, plus I found copper, meaning I can get rid of this leather armor my military is wearing, plus set up the guard. Don't know what we'll do about food for a while, but I'm sure we'll manage.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 11, 2009, 02:58:33 pm »

the Dwarven caravan just brought me 3 wagons full of pig tail cloth, One wagon full of tower-caps, 2 wagons full of leather, and 1 wagon of meat, and only meat. This was alongside the 3 or 4 wagons I usually get and trade with for copper.

3 wagons of cloth?!?!? What the hell?!? Did you fall into a +Elven Mind Wipe+? What!? The?! Hell?!

sad bit is, I have no contacf with the elves, so no death trap, and no goblins, so no regular traps. Plus, I couldn't kill them anyway, cause' my next noble needs them to bring back a profit. Armok damn it.

{edit}- this just in, They want wooden idols.
I'll let you make your own conclusions. I have to go slaughter some... somethings.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 03:02:36 pm by Karnewarrior »
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 3838