Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1195 1196 [1197] 1198 1199 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6103891 times)

Kassil

• Bay Watcher
  • Zenarchist
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #17940 on: January 01, 2012, 06:54:50 pm »

Thus begins the saga of Waterwalls, founded by the Drenched Halls of Sorrows. Purely accidental naming, but there /is/ an aquifer in one corner of the embark, and it's a 'holy shit!' cliff-and-river setup.

Edit: Hm, not quite the look I was expecting. There's a spire of mountain in the corner, and the head of a brook in the other corner, and a lot of swamp between.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 06:58:11 pm by Kassil »
Wheelbarrows with wheels are inferior to the true wheelbarrow.
you mean elves with loads of stone loaded onto their backs while walking on their hands with dwarves holding their legs to guide them?

Jenniretta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17941 on: January 01, 2012, 09:12:33 pm »

currently trying to get through the first of the lengthy tomes of Markus Heitz's "The Dwarves" Books (Because Dwarves, even out of DF, are awesome) I'm loving the book so far (about 380 or so pages into the english translation of book one, not quite half-way through it I'd wager, with more books to follow, I'll be busy for a bit. :) )
So I'm thinking of abandoning canyonmartyrs (or just genning a new world) and starting a fortress modeled after the descriptions of one of the kingdoms of dwarves from the books.

Otherwise, nothing too interesting.. more sieges has lead to me creating a zoo of goblins, ogres, and their various mounts, which has become the site of a seemingly endless string of parties, all started by dwarf children who have nothing better to do than tie up my work force with constant parties in front of the would-be invaders, taunting them.
Thanks to the smiths my entire 40-dwarf military is dressed in full spoilerite, from their helmets and chainmail to their boots they shimmer in the gorgeous light-blue metal, the axes cleave goblins and ogres effortlessly... should my axedwarves feel merciful, more often they slice off dozend of bits and pieces before they eventually bleed to death or have a vital part of their body sail off in a bloody arc. The Silver warhammers that my 10 hammerdwarves wield are surprisingly not bent into unrecognizable twists of metal, despite wailing on the goblin's armour with the fury of well-trained dwarves defending their homes and families through the years, whatever sorcery keeps them in shape, I am happy for it, as they are highly effective at quickly making a deadly foe a messy blob of broken bones and vomit, dieing slowly on the smooth stone floors.
The marksdwarves are, finally, after years of using bone crossbows, getting crossbows of steel made, not that they need them, but anything is better than the XXDog Bone CrossbowXX(Seriously, Weapons degrade? I have never noticed that before... or is this just him choosing a fucked up xbow in the first place, like one that was in a fire or something? I've never seen a XXweaponXX in use by a dwarf before.) my best marksdwarf has been wielding since the fortress was young.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17942 on: January 01, 2012, 09:45:24 pm »

Tombrabbits / Chaos continues

Above ground, the "stepping stones" trap tosses another friendly into the ocean: a militia chasing a horse
The trap's designed to stop incoming invaders, not emmigrants, but somehow wild animals keep poping up in the middle of the map to leave.
I want to put a wrong-way sign on that thing, but those aren't implemented yet
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In the meat area, one of my dwarves is mincing a goblin.
When the goblin tries to fight back, the dwarf slaps him.

And finally, deeper underground, the hex arena is ready for more blood.
A mason walks up and pulls the lever.
The cages open, the floodgates shut, and the first thing you see is ... a mysterious construction ??

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #17943 on: January 01, 2012, 09:50:10 pm »

Rest in Peace, Necro. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17944 on: January 01, 2012, 09:54:59 pm »

It happened in the 3rd year of my no booze no farming no herbalism fort. I had a siege which I couldnt chew. I decided to give the fury siegers the dwarven finger plaintive gesture, bring everyone underground, breach the only cavern (with ogres) and survive eating nothing but mushroom while running the biggest community forge ever. 2 months later, I sallied fort with some 40 militias wearing nothing but a silver wahammer / bronze spear and a shield. Desperately we fought. Many died but in the end we held our ground.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17945 on: January 01, 2012, 10:48:50 pm »

Limulunno's armour industry is still powering ahead, now providing steel. No sign of goblins yet, though we have had a single kobold thief so far. It's going pretty well.

I think I accidentally misdesignated something, because a dwarf dug through a wall and released a small flood of water into the southern well room. No harm done.

MountainGnome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17946 on: January 01, 2012, 10:59:13 pm »

That is the last time I try to build that much above ground =(  maybe some pastures and bee hives... but flying enemies just destroyed another fort through tantrum spiral of my military dieing.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17947 on: January 01, 2012, 11:16:45 pm »

The Duchy of Whisperbolt now has a dozen beehives, steady production of high-quality gold, silver, lead, dyed fabric, and porcelain goods, and stabilizing production of food and booze. Whisperbolt imports steel, pig iron, flux stone, and sand in large quantities for the production of steel armor and weaponry, and for the most part exports large amounts of (elf friendly) food, (elf friendly) fabric goods, (elf friendly) porcelain goods, and the odd abundance of (not always elf friendly) goblinite, though most of the metal items are redirected to the magma smelters to be melted down and used to train new smiths in the trade. Whisperbolt's menagerie includes wolves, bears, badgers, cougars, and a small petting zoo with tamed deer and mountain goats, along with several coops of poultry.

Come at me, goblin bros.

Duke/Weaver/Leatherworker Monom Risepaper has married his bone-carver sweetheart, leading to her retirement from the military in anticipation of chilluns (side note, do dorfs go through menopause? Nish is... well, if she had hair, it would be graying; as it is, my dorf civs seem to consider a shaved head a sign of feminine beauty), though Monom himself is still active with the marksdorf squad. Duke Risepaper likes gold and is pleased with our continuing projects extracting and refining ore and producing furniture, and his penchant for shields is one he can fulfill himself in the leatherworks. Duchess Consort Nish (last name unavailable) is... acclimating herself to the new quarters, and also enjoying the huge heaps of forgotten beast bones, ivory, horns, and shells that she can play with.

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
    • View Profile
« Reply #17948 on: January 01, 2012, 11:42:40 pm »

Rumbledgeared is developing slowly after Dark Strangler sieges pushed migrant waves back by three seasons after they had to be locked out as they attacked when there were no traps or soldiers. No sieges have arrived since spring however, and it is now winter. Without any iron and scarce copper, the fortress relies on imports and the now-training soldiers have leather armor with steel weapons. Unfortunately, stronger forces will soon arrive and it's yet to be seen if the fort can withstand a full attack.
The question is: how do you profaine a temple dedicated to pure greed?
Give a donation.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #17949 on: January 01, 2012, 11:46:58 pm »

Well, it turns out that having the fort set up in such a way that Dwarves have to go all the way to my entrance at the bottom of the mountain just so they can then make their way up to the top of the mountain where i'm building my Barracks/Forges* over an open volcano nearby is a distinctly bad idea. I had friggin half the fort's population outside the mountain because i have them building the structure over the volcano when a couple squads of Goblins decided to fuck up my shit.

I've lost a bunch of animals and Dwarves (including my militia, which to be fair hadn't trained much and had little armor, since i don't have a metal industry going yet and so i have to rely on what i can steal get from the Traders), and they penetrated through my bottom entrance (i had columns of weapon traps loaded with 10 wooden spiked balls each, they weren't really meant to kill too much, but to make the enemies dodge off into the lava i have right underneath, which i can then drain to get the items, then refill since it gets the lava from the volcano. Turns out i should've used something that WOULD kill the enemies, and have them dodging off be a secondary concern. Some of the Gobbos did actually get knocked into the lava, but since i haven't finished putting traps on the whole bridge one of the Gobbos has made it past them already**) and are now about to fuck more of my shit up. I'm debating on where or i not i want to continue, or ragequit and make a new world (having some fun with PerfectWorldDF, getting some awesome maps i wanna try out sometime).

My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17950 on: January 02, 2012, 01:25:33 am »

Best military commander candidate ever!! For the uninitiated they have 5 mandates in my mod.

As a matter of fact he's so awesome that, the game decided to throw an embark with an ever-draining, magma-flooded cavern at me.
Spoiler: "ha ha ha oh wow" (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 01:53:11 am by rephikul »
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #17951 on: January 02, 2012, 03:24:43 am »

So... make it your mega project to stem the flow?
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #17952 on: January 02, 2012, 06:51:39 am »

Well, i held off those Gobbos well enough, and it looked like i might be able to recover and continue on, but only a short time later in the very same season, the Orcs decide to seige me (since i got Orcs modded in). Long story short, my population of around 40 just went down to 3, and seeing as i really have nothing medical-wise it's soon gonna just be 2 left (i've also got a handful of animals still alive. I put my meeting area in the Barracks/Forges, so everyone was there with the militia for when the Orcs got up there. Good thing the Orcs finally retreated when they were in the middle of fucking up the survivors up there, else the fort would be completely dead already). I'd say it's time to abandon.

At least my Barracks/Forges is pretty far along in its completion, i just need to dig out a bunch more Basalt so i can patch up the roof and finish the outer supports once i reclaim. Plus there's all the shit the dead Orcs left behind, it'll get put to use. Those traps i talked about worked better than i thought...

EDIT:
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 07:01:56 am by 612DwarfAvenue »
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17953 on: January 02, 2012, 07:09:52 am »

Vishne siege, with steel-equipped crossbow snipers of DOOM mounted on unicorns.

Goddamit, and I just barely got recruits to my crippled army this spring D:

Oh well, gotta go how the brave dwarves will do.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17954 on: January 02, 2012, 07:22:13 am »

The kobold camp of Kafakashaymis has been a thriving community for all those kobolds who finally want to subsist on their own instead of always stealing to survive. Now they just steal for fun (but never from other kobolds, because there is honour among thieves).

The first elven ambush was quickly stifled by the tricky 'bolds and their cage traps, though several were killed or wounded as they fled from the onslaught of wooden arrows. For a while, all was peaceful. Two artifacts came to life, a fluffy wambler fluff buckler and a turtle shell harp. The military practiced and trained night and day, determined that they could kill even the biggest of foes.

Over a year after the elven ambush, a goblin ambush arrived in force. It was absolute slaughter, killing at least 20 'bolds before they were trapped, killed by the soldier-bolds or driven away. The whole camp was left distraught. Corpses littered the slopes and tantruming was rife. A woodcrafter was branded a 'Rager' as he accidentally killed a fish-cleaner in his tantrum. He was forced to take up the arms of his enemies the goblins and dropped into a sealed hold to fight against the trapped invaders.

The fate of Kafakashaymis has never been more unclear.

UPDATE: The strength of Kafakashaymis has been broken.

As normalcy just seemed to be setting back into the little camp, an elven ambush revealed itself. Led by a an Elite Markself, this squad of markselves didn't pose too much of a threat as they were led to the choke-point bridge in the middle of the embark. No one died from them.

Then, suddenly:
An ambush! Curse all friends of nature!
An ambush! Curse all friends of nature!

Double ambush. A large squad of elven spearwarriors, mounted on horses, led by a mighty spearmaster, couple with a large squad of swordselves. No mercy or quarter was given. Kobolds were only barely saved by the quick order to flee inside. Eventually, the elven ambush ground to a halt (almost literally) as it churned through cage and weapon traps. With this, the kobolds were given the all clear. They began to clean up the dead, when:

An ambush! Curse those fiends!

Goblins. Bowgoblins and Crossbowgoblins, sitting at the entrance to the camp. A hail of bolts cut down kobolds by the bunch as they either innocently left the safety of the camp or attempted to flee back to it. A mother was cut down, dropping all eight of her newborn pups. They were shot too.

Eventually, there were nine kobolds left. Eight of them had dragged themselves onto beds and were trying to rest their grievous wounds, though they were all near death. The only able-bodied kobold had been knocked out onto a cage trap earlier, and no one was able to let him out. The kobolds of Kafakashaymis were forced to concede defeat.

It was the saddest day in the history of kobolds. The Massacre of Kafakashaymis will strike fear into the hearts of kobolds everywhere, reminding them how insignificant they are compared to the world. No wonder they have a god of suicide...
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 09:45:16 am by Doomshifter »
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.
Pages: 1 ... 1195 1196 [1197] 1198 1199 ... 3842