Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1194 1195 [1196] 1197 1198 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6103920 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #17925 on: January 01, 2012, 09:46:25 am »

Maybe they got caught on a drawbridge being retracted? That's been known to fling creatures around a bit.
I don't have any drawbridges or even mechanisms yet, it's a 0 point embark so I have to wait for a migrant with a pick or a lucky caravan to get stone.

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17926 on: January 01, 2012, 09:56:34 am »

Merchants sometimes hire badass caravan guards.
Caravan from the mountain home arrived, followed by a lot of goblins, including a large squad of bow-goblins (seeing so many bolts and arrows flying across the screen like that is still scary). My militia of five, having been beaten down from ten, by a Minotaur, was just not equipped for this, so I locked up and restricted access to the courtyard. Killed the goblins that got in through the gates (a sword-squad spawned right next to my fortress, which is at the edge of the map), and prepared to wait.

Enter Axeman, Ird Scarcedimples, The Tragic Storm.
Cleaves his way through a whole bunch of goblins, charges the bow squad, starts chopping them up without trouble and drives off  the entire army, receiving only a cut to the left lower leg, and left cheek.

Kassil

• Bay Watcher
  • Zenarchist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17927 on: January 01, 2012, 10:03:15 am »

Maybe they got caught on a drawbridge being retracted? That's been known to fling creatures around a bit.
I don't have any drawbridges or even mechanisms yet, it's a 0 point embark so I have to wait for a migrant with a pick or a lucky caravan to get stone.

From what I understand, it's possible for creatures to dodge along the z-axis, although rare. Maybe they dodged some attacking creature and landed there.
Wheelbarrows with wheels are inferior to the true wheelbarrow.
you mean elves with loads of stone loaded onto their backs while walking on their hands with dwarves holding their legs to guide them?

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17928 on: January 01, 2012, 10:10:07 am »

Axedwarf, Ird Scarcedimples, The Tragic Storm.
Cleaves his way through a whole bunch of goblins, charges the bow squad, starts chopping them up without trouble and drives off  the entire army, receiving only a cut to the left lower leg, and left cheek.
0_0
Damn. What kind of armor was he wearing???

Fix'd the profession to Axedwarf.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17929 on: January 01, 2012, 10:32:22 am »

Oi! I have to regen a new world, because I apparently got a world that evidently has absolutely no iron or coal. Yet the dwarf civs I selected have no coal, no iron, and they still wind up with steel items. What the hell happened, and is there some kind of bug related to that issue?

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17930 on: January 01, 2012, 10:43:23 am »

Axedwarf, Ird Scarcedimples, The Tragic Storm.
0_0
Damn. What kind of armor was he wearing???

Fix'd the profession to Axedwarf.
Ah, but he wasn't a dwarf - it was a modded race I'm working on - The Borioth.
Wasn't wearing much. A steel helm, a wooden breastplate, and a bronze bearded axe.
Apparently he was just a total nutter.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17931 on: January 01, 2012, 10:49:31 am »

From what I understand, it's possible for creatures to dodge along the z-axis, although rare. Maybe they dodged some attacking creature and landed there.
There was a mandrill raid a while back in that general area, I've never seen this happen though. 

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17932 on: January 01, 2012, 11:01:13 am »

After all that digging, the game decided to throw some flying siegers my way...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

EDIT: and what came of it
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 02:07:00 pm by rephikul »
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17933 on: January 01, 2012, 01:48:42 pm »

On my 0 point embark my dwarves survived a beastman siege only to have over half of them get decommissioned by a mandrill raid. Without metal they have to fight like goddamn elves with wooden shields and their bare hands. 13 of my 20 dwarves are injured, there is one surgery table, there is one bed, there is no soap, and for some reason my dwarves decided to stack the wounded seven deep in a pile. We just got some picks from a caravan so this should be the last time those little bastards raid us.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17934 on: January 01, 2012, 01:55:27 pm »

I finally got fed up with the FB infestation in Cavern 2 and cracked a wall to let the militia have at 'em. Four FBs later, three of my military dwarves were in the hospital with their everything rotting off.

The cook took so many broken bones from combat that her abilities to stand and grasp are permanently lost. The militia commander and that other dorf ended up with their eyes rotted out and covered with scars, but are up and functional again.

The military commander of Whisperbolt now bears the job nickname "Zatoichi" in addition to his full name and title Edzul Oddomudist Mostodistbar Garem, "Edzul Cloisterpleated the Shameful Rose of Generals".

ETA: And then I accidentally the default uniform and had to make a new one, lol.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 02:14:01 pm by proxn_punkd »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17935 on: January 01, 2012, 03:04:32 pm »

I have a woodcutter who was taking stuff to a rooftop stockpile when an ambush came. We closed the gates but since the roof isn't protected by walls they can still target him and he still panics when he sees them. There are two ways back into the fortress, one stairwell is nearby but requires him to walk directly beside goblin bowmen, the other is perfectly safe but requires him to walk very short distance further. He decided to take the closer stairwell and was set upon by a hail of arrows  and ran away because he saw goblins. Then he tried to do the exact same thing, again, and again, and again, and again. He's running back and forth on the roof avoiding 90% of the arrows but slowly dying of thirst because he is a stupid stupid man.

Update: They finally managed to hit him in the lung so I stopped lauhging and had the first set of stairs deconstructed to force him to take the long way. The goblins were shooting golden arrows at him a 90% of which are intact because they didn't hit anything and laying on the ground. A good number of them landed inside the fortress walls, I can only imagine what the dorfs thought as precious goblinite rained from the sky.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 03:11:38 pm by Broseph Stalin »

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17936 on: January 01, 2012, 04:48:06 pm »

After over fifteen years of work the dwarves of Akrulatol have finally cleared one level of our 2-level aquifer breach (a large one to replace the itty bitty one we had since nearly the start). But it's covered in 1/7 water, which is annoying because it won't evaporate.

Why won't it evaporate, you say? Well, it's been raining. Non-stop. Practically forever. IN THE MIDDLE OF THE GODDAMN DESERT!!!  >:( >:(

Also, all our artifacts keep coming out as crafts or crossbows. I want another adamantine battleaxe!
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #17937 on: January 01, 2012, 04:53:54 pm »

GCS killed another cavern bunny. The rabbits keep breeding. An ogre just got a finger bitten off by one.

bukitodinos

• Bay Watcher
  • IM FUCKING DEAD WOOOOO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17938 on: January 01, 2012, 05:49:41 pm »

the baron arrived... he is avoiding my traps.. well onley solution is

I mean for the love of god! There's hair trying to kill a dog!
back to professional martinis with bukitodinos!
---
Put the flag in the martini and were done!
siggy!

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #17939 on: January 01, 2012, 06:50:38 pm »

The lucky kobold survivor was named in most statues. Sadly, I couldn't get screenies as I neglected to before I got bored of the fort and cleaned up cluttter in my saves folder.
Pages: 1 ... 1194 1195 [1196] 1197 1198 ... 3842