Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6110977 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #1785 on: March 18, 2010, 03:48:33 pm »

Just embarked at Flamechasm, with the intent of building a mostly aboveground settlement. The group's name is The Tools of Yelling. It's got flux, plenty of iron, trees, land, etc.

It's also got a cave, lot's of snail/slugmen, and even a resident titan. My hunter was killed within a few minutes. Not by the titan, no, he(or she, I forgot) has barely moved the whole time, but by one of the slugmen in the cave.

Just got a few immigrants, busy setting up beds in the (temporary) cave shelter before building proper houses.

Man Dwarf, this going to be difficult.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: March 18, 2010, 05:38:34 pm »

A recruited woodcutter hit an enemy ambusher with their axe, sending them clear across the map, over a valley, and then explode against another mountain.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Noldor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: March 18, 2010, 08:04:46 pm »

What are these "wrestrels" of which you speak? They do sound awesome.

Anyway, I'm currently experimenting with Civilization Forge Unleashed. I wish I had known that Nivocite was magma-safe BEFORE I had flooded my magma channels. Now I'll never get it out. And I was paving the bottom of a brook-fed artificial pool with it...

I meant "Wrestler". LOL!

BitLooter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: March 18, 2010, 09:56:10 pm »

Finally, for the first time cracked open a HFS. This being my first time, I wasn't especially prepared.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 11:40:37 pm by BitLooter »
Well really, if you can't be an insane Dwarven dictator hellbent on genociding Mermaids for their precious bones in a video game, where CAN you?

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: March 18, 2010, 11:53:50 pm »

water won't work, evaporates a few tiles away from em.  However, magma AND water will, encase em and all!
Nom nom nom

BitLooter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: March 19, 2010, 12:04:10 am »

Even high-pressure water? Never mind, I'm about to try it myself regardless. I do have access to a magma pipe, so I'll probably end up doing that.
Well really, if you can't be an insane Dwarven dictator hellbent on genociding Mermaids for their precious bones in a video game, where CAN you?

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: March 19, 2010, 12:05:18 am »

There was a puny goblin siege. After half of the gobbos was killed, the rest ran for their lives. My champion hammerdwarf saw, that he can't catch some goblin, so he sent another goblin flying in his back, stunning them both in the end!
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant
medals: 8/40
specials: 30/44
badges: 13:8:3:0:0

Kza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: March 19, 2010, 01:22:42 am »

I built a giant pressure washer, and just activated it to kill an entire siege.

...So I flooded the entire entrance to my fort, and the water is starting to seep into my barracks.
And then it's pretty much a normal fortress from then on.
I find the idea of a normal fortress amusing.

Untouchable

• Bay Watcher
  • Gary Busey Smile Time Variety Hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: March 19, 2010, 02:44:14 am »

Got my first death by Forest Fire. My Woodcutter must have pissed off an Imp who then proceeded to set fire to everything. I got everyone out of there except for one of my new migrants who decided to be unable to move from the raging inferno that was baring down on him who then figured he could run through the fire and onto my safe sandy area.

Dumbass didn't make it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: March 19, 2010, 02:21:48 pm »

Making good progress on the first platform level of my ziggurat, its moving quickly even at 20-30 FPS. Of course though, all of my dwarves (except for my food/booze guys so that the food and booze can be maintained) are busy either making glass blocks, hauling, building and gathering sand.

I'm starting to approach what may be a moderately challenging or at least time consuming part since obviously I'm putting up walls for the next section, but I want to have the walls a few tiles thick (maybe 3?) and have the rest of the central space be filled in with floor. I don't have to worry about a cavein punching a hole in the fort since I have dug to the bottom level.

I wonder at what pop I'll get to the point of the incoming king/queen since I haven't done that before (I've had the pop cap at 100) and I have 171 dwarves atm.

Pafferguy

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: March 19, 2010, 04:05:40 pm »

This may seem a stupid question, but how do you find gold?  I embarked on a map with a gabbro layer, thinking that gold would be in it.  Based on this assumption, I brought a metalcrafter and started making charcoal.  Howver, after digging up about 1/3 of the first gabbro level down, I found 4 veins of garnierite and nothing else.
"Battle not with megabeasts, lest ye become a megabeast, and if you gaze into the chasm, the chasm gazes also into you."- Friedrich Nietzsche

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: March 19, 2010, 04:27:32 pm »

This may seem a stupid question, but how do you find gold?  I embarked on a map with a gabbro layer, thinking that gold would be in it.  Based on this assumption, I brought a metalcrafter and started making charcoal.  Howver, after digging up about 1/3 of the first gabbro level down, I found 4 veins of garnierite and nothing else.

Even if you have a layer of the appropriate stone type, DF only selects some of the vein types that can possibly be found in a layer to put in them. Sometimes it will pick all of them. Sometimes only one vein type will be chosen. The relative amounts of each vein type will also vary. You just got unlucky. Embarking in a different area with gabbro may yield more abundant gold.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Geti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: March 20, 2010, 08:54:06 am »

Well, currently I'm playing as a modded human civ called the longswords, testing the playablity of the factions in a large scale modding project. Its 0247hrs now, so no big issues :P
Problems arose however, when the Death Elves (elves with less crapness, slavery and steel weapons) sent a 23 elve ambush against my fort in the winter of year 1. I had 3 military at this point, and they died in the first 5 seconds (wrestlers vs swords, gg) but I managed to keep 4 alive by leading the bastards through traps and fighting with my woodcutter (god axes are a lifesaver).
Eventually, all were dead, my population dropped from 32 to 4 in 6 minutes and industry stopped. To top it off, a minute after the ambush was over (I'm dreading the inevitable seige) my woodcutter flipped out and cut one of his relieved comrades to pieces.
Great. More mess.
Migrants have arrived, but it's bedtime, they brought spring with them, and an autosave. Tomorrow there will be a _lot_ of hauling to do.

Hitti-Litti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: March 20, 2010, 09:25:35 am »

(First post, yay)

Just got my first immigration wave to my soon-to-be-extremely-mighty fortress.

2 miners
1 woodcutter
1 ranger
1 animal trainer
1 animal dissector
1 metalsmith
2 gem cutters
2 bone carvers
1 dyer
1 brewer
1 potash maker
1 soap maker
7 peasants

So that's 22 immigrants PLUS two children and a donkey. Wow. Well, at least I got a potash maker, time to get my ashery started, and start making lots of glass(my fortress has lots of sand). And 7 peasants could mean an army of 7 wrestlers, all goblins that will try to haunt on me shall tremble in front of my wrestler squad!

Exiledhero99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: March 20, 2010, 10:30:32 am »

tryig to fid a non-colored rock. since I broke soil I've only dug into microcline.  :-\
If you hit a dwarf with moving water with sufficient strength it will knock the baby out of the mother's arms.  The water can then be used to sweep the baby into a well or cistern for drowning.  The device which does this can also double as a mist generator.
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 3842