Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1169 1170 [1171] 1172 1173 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094611 times)

yamgrenade

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels task: Is a Dumba**
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #17550 on: December 04, 2011, 06:23:45 pm »

I looked it up on the wiki after struggling with beekeeping. Mead has the same value as sewer brew. For all the time and work it takes, it oughta be worth ten barrels of sunshine.

It's not too hard, you just need a lot of jugs and hives. It should be worth at least as much as dwarven brews though.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17551 on: December 04, 2011, 06:56:57 pm »

Yeah, it's not that it's hard. It's just that the number of annoyances exceeded my personal tolerance threshold when I found one of my two or three designated beekeepers standing out in the middle of the forest starving and dehydrated because he was stuck trying to collect a hive that had already been collected by one of his coworkers. I know now that it's a known bug (har har) and you should work around it by having only one beekeeper working, but I didn't know it then, and it was the last straw for me. I haven't built a hive since. Petty of me I know, but there we are.

Joost66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17552 on: December 04, 2011, 11:17:31 pm »

Blood wall, 127. A kobold thief managed to get into the fortress, and when discovered promptly stabbed my expedition leader in the face. He, having nothing to do most of the day, was friends with alot of people... There was much anger...

Everyone is dead or dieing. I have resigned my position as overseer, in favor of perhaps founding another fort, at a later date.
Hello. Have a nice day.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17553 on: December 05, 2011, 12:21:56 am »

I've finally selected a new site after my last fortress. Took days of searching, embarking, and abandoning. All to find mithril. Never. Found it. My sole supply of mithril is my own civilization.

It's early autumn of year 2 now, and a high master armorer that immigrated this spring was struck by a strange mood and created an iron shield; Akmeshokun, "Tempestshrine." It is encrusted with chromite and menaces with spikes of iron, worth 45600☼. I also noticed his name: Zasit Armortrue.

He is now the One True Armorer.

So far I've only seen thieves and snatchers from the various hostile civs. Probably because this is such a sad little hole in the ground at the moment. But; I've recently uncovered a vein of candy in the third cavern layer, sticking up into the ceiling. That's a pretty important resource, even though we currently have huge limonite deposits in a layer of dolomite. Once the miners reach the magma sea and the steel industry is set up it's go time for the military.
For now, the enemy will have to accept a humiliating defeat at the hands of a vast dodge-pit trap.

Scratch that; forgotten beast with deadly blood just showed up in the entirely unprotected second cavern layer. He's not in very good shape though, and it appears that that was caused by his assualting an olm man tribe near that end of the map. Maybe the fact that it's dragging it's newt-y belly across the ground will give the thoroughly incompetent masons time to seal the caverns.

Nope. I missed a spot and it walked right in. I managed to seal off that shaft, but it had to be at the very end of it where it connects to a large chamber in the fort, because the damn thing wouldn't stop scaring the masons back until it found the future well grates to destroy.

It took quite a while to puzzle over that one grate, so I dropped a block on it's head. Unfortunately a miner and a vast quantity of stone and stone grates went with it. Aleswell that doesn't end in deadly, blood-borne diseases I suppose. Finishing up the walls around that cavern entrance and cleaning up the mess went well, gratefully.

But then one of my rangers died of thirst on top of the outdoor walls. How the hell did he get up there? I know now of the bug with dodging multiple attacks at once flinging a dwarf some distance, but there's been no combat or anything of the sort in that area for the duration of the fort, and I don't think that dwarf had ever seen combat, and it's isolated from the only other walking surfaces on it's z-level by 21 tiles.
Boy must have been so stupid he broke gravity/unknowingly learned a levitation spell, so nobody's going to cry for him.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 01:18:24 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ZZmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17554 on: December 05, 2011, 05:00:01 am »

Blood wall, 127. A kobold thief managed to get into the fortress, and when discovered promptly stabbed my expedition leader in the face. He, having nothing to do most of the day, was friends with alot of people... There was much anger...

Everyone is dead or dieing. I have resigned my position as overseer, in favor of perhaps founding another fort, at a later date.
is it me or does that remind any one else of a Tonberry attack? i mean the kobold sprite even looks like one. heh
DK advisor quote was the message thingy of DF with: "Uric Glodson does a wonderful impression of the baron, he can even do the nose. He has been sentenced to 40 hammerstrikes for his insolence."

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17555 on: December 05, 2011, 06:22:43 am »

I spent four hours yesterday — on and off — generating worlds, finding embark sites, and discarding them because they didn't suit me, then finally found one I liked last night, then spent a solid three hours before bed designating. That's all, just designating. And I'm not done yet.

Bannerskies is either going to be my best fort ever, or my whole starting seven are going to be wiped out by badgers as soon as I unpause. One or the other.

orrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17556 on: December 05, 2011, 06:39:03 am »

I had a migrant Fish Dissector bug out and enter limbo while unconscious; a nightwing drained his blood and started strangling him, which has been going on for about a year now without killing him (and he's ignoring thirst, hunger, and insanity).  He's not really retrievable as my starting seven are sealed off down in the first cavern, and I'm leaving new migrants to run around the barren rocky wasteland I embarked on until they meet their end one way or another.  I suppose its kind of a nice feature on the landscape, like of like a dwarven Tartarus for useless migrants.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17557 on: December 05, 2011, 08:56:30 am »

The yeti problem seems to have abated, and the fort has entered a golden age and been expanded in many ways. Engravings tell of the horrors of the early days, and an artifact wooden chair celebrates the dehydration of my crippled miner. I'd gotten so carried away with expanding that I neglected my militia, so when a tundra titan showed up it slaughtered the commander with ease. The doors are now locked and the bridge is raised. The titan sits outside, waiting.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17558 on: December 05, 2011, 10:07:30 am »

Well, that miner came back to haunt me. Ripped off the chief medical dwarf's leg. Need to make a slab...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #17559 on: December 05, 2011, 01:25:22 pm »

My expedition leader/hunter decided to hunt some sea monsters. *Sigh* 17 dwarfs now. *Sigh*
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17560 on: December 05, 2011, 01:52:40 pm »

The local law giver for my goblin adversaries is naked and confined in a golden cage in the dining area of my lower multipurpose jail/statue garden/graveyard catacomb. More fool him for showing up unarmored and unarmed.
This is a blank sig.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17561 on: December 05, 2011, 02:27:17 pm »

I felt like an idiot when I realised that my stockpile was full of at least 10 battle axes. Migrants must have brought them and dropped them off without me realising.

I conscripted some useless dwarves into an axe squad and prepared to launch them against the titan. Just as they were moving to the drawbridge, some migrants appeared.

One of the migrants is a pretty good diagnostician, which I've been waiting for for some time. Just my luck.

Or not. Because for some reason the titan is already dead. I swear it wasn't injured when I last looked, and I didnt notice any dangerous wildlife around. No caravan has passed through either. Most strange.

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17562 on: December 05, 2011, 02:39:43 pm »

Send some useless dorfs out to scout for a stealthed ambush?

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17563 on: December 05, 2011, 05:07:14 pm »

There shouldn't be an ambush because I'm not near any other civs. In any case, I opened the doors and we've had traders since. Nobody's been attacked.

I can't seem to locate the corpse. I'm wondering if he decided to jump into the volcano.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17564 on: December 05, 2011, 08:22:15 pm »

An Ettin popped up while my workforce was outside. Seems Ettins are slower than dwarves, as she inefficiently lagged behind my panicked workers while elite swordsquad came to save the day. Too bad I never seem to get any bad megabeasts. Seems like every beast is minotaur/cyclops/ettin. Where are my bronze colossi and titans? Oh woe is me.

Finally got my entire militia to equip the full armour set. Exact match/replace clothing did the trick. Never bothered with it before since my veteran dwarves had no problems with equipment.
Pages: 1 ... 1169 1170 [1171] 1172 1173 ... 3842