Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1168 1169 [1170] 1171 1172 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094739 times)

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #17535 on: December 04, 2011, 05:24:47 am »

Late-Summer, first year since arriving. Making rock crafts, fortifications, weapons, and armor. I've never gotten very far in Fortress mode, but I'm wondering... Is it bad to be making weapons and other combat related things this early?

Assuming you're in a non-evil non-savage biome and/or wall up soon after embarking, you should have very little need for real weaponry before the second year. Of course it's always good to be prepared and if you feel like you can produce weapons and armour without unduly sacrificing something more critical (eg. food production), then go for it. Better safe than sorry and all that.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17536 on: December 04, 2011, 05:33:55 am »

Limulunnos (Goldenhoof) has been founded next to the ruins of Boldropes. Preparations have been made for the first year. We are on a clay floor with some limestone.

Madventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17537 on: December 04, 2011, 06:10:05 am »

Embarking to a savanna. It has a brook named "The Amazing Race".

:P
Then he made grudge wit about 20 other dwarfs (still don't know why - perhaps they were stealing his chair).

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #17538 on: December 04, 2011, 07:16:50 am »

First Completely above-grond Fort! (Yay me)
The settlement is called CarnalTowns and it has 13 dwarfs, the main export good is clothes, we have a very large population of pigs, turkeys and gooses.
Our only enemies in this lands are the illithid and the goblins, the fort is situated on a temperate (almost tropical) shrubland.
I'll post screens soon.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17539 on: December 04, 2011, 09:05:32 am »

Tomesbent is a new fortress built on a glacier with a volcano. The idea was to have readily available magma, but in the end I had to dig down 129 levels to find the water for irrigation and a well. That was my first priority after dehydration ended my last glacier fortress.

The main problem is all the damn yetis. They keep walking straight into my fort and beating up animals and dwarves. We've lost three of the founders and half a dozen animals already, and it's only now autumn. Some of the named yetis escaped, but we have three and one nameless yeti being butchered. It's a good job they don't come in herds.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17540 on: December 04, 2011, 09:39:14 am »

Late-Summer, first year since arriving. Making rock crafts, fortifications, weapons, and armor. I've never gotten very far in Fortress mode, but I'm wondering... Is it bad to be making weapons and other combat related things this early?
I like to have a few spears lying around in case animals get nasty but you don't need an orgnaized military for a while.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17541 on: December 04, 2011, 10:03:00 am »

Oh god, the yetis! As soon as I strike one down another spawns at the edge of the map.

My miserable militia commander with five yeti kills finally gained enough skill to become an axedwarf, only to be strangled to death minutes later. I've conscripted another useless migrant. Let's hope he can do better.

Ed: The new guy's dead. He tried punching it to death despite carrying the axe.

Ed2: As soon as I realised the benefits of the last death - that I could butcher his pet rams - the yeti returned and choked my butcher to death. It's toying with me...

Ed3: It's Winter and we're down to 5 dwarves.

The newest new militia commander (Zon) levelled up to an axedwarf pretty quickly, but had his left hand torn off in battle. He passed out and the yeti beat him black and blue. When he finally awoke, he began chasing the yeti around the map. His injuries made it difficult to keep up, but he kept the thing busy for a while.

When I saw a giant toad in the units screen, I checked and found that it was perilously close to my well chamber. I intended to build a bridge to seal off the tunnel, but with the constant yeti distractions I'd forgotten to do before flooding it. I sealed it up and started building a new well room next to it. I made sure to install a bridge this time

Once that was ready and hooked up to a lever I ordered the wall dug out between the old well chamber and the new one. I'm used to dwarves getting a bit wet and then running out of the nearby door. This time the pressure was so great that it slammed the miner around the chamber and sucked him back into the original one, where he drowned in the corner.

I realised that I hadn't seen my second miner during the digging, so I went to look for him. He was lying in the stairwell and very dehydrated. It seems his spine was broken during a previous yeti assault without me noticing. I ordered a bucket to be made, but I didn't realise that my carpenter was dead. By the time I assigned another dwarf the task he had died of thirst.

One of the migrants - a dyer - threw a tantrum and punched my mason through the head. This left only one of my original dwarves left (the one I named after myself). He's now my miner, book keeper, mason, engraver, broker, and architect. Two other dwarves are on full time butchering, tanning, and cooking duties in order to cope with the amount of dead stuff we're getting.

Traders arrived, and the guards took out the yeti that had led poor Zon around the map for the past month. Since then I haven't seen another yeti, so perhaps they're regrouping for another invasion. They really wanted some meat, and we had tons of the stuff lying around. We managed to trade for some more booze, some cheese, spare barrels and buckets, an extra pick, and a shiny gold bar. Pretty good really.

It's Winter now and Zon has just died of infection. His replacement is our spare engraver, but if we lose anyone else then functioning at all is going to be difficult.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 12:24:30 pm by Newbunkle »

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #17542 on: December 04, 2011, 12:12:44 pm »

First Completely above-grond Fort! (Yay me)
The settlement is called CarnalTowns and it has 13 dwarfs, the main export good is clothes, we have a very large population of pigs, turkeys and gooses geese.
Our only enemies in this lands are the illithid and the goblins, the fort is situated on a temperate (almost tropical) shrubland.
I'll post screens soon.

Proxn has been quite content. She corrected an annoying grammar error recently.

Anyway, the end of the semester is rolling around and I have to put my dorfs on hold for the end-of-semester-catch-up-on-eight-weeks-of-missed-homework rush. Talk to you all... either Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17543 on: December 04, 2011, 12:42:21 pm »

One of my dwarves' deities sounds like a comic book hero: Rinul Actioncomet the deity of lightning, usually depicted as a female dwarf.

Kepplerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17544 on: December 04, 2011, 01:19:35 pm »

Due to some creative goblin execution methods, I now have 5 friendly Cave Fish Men.

I'm thinking of using Runesmith to add them to my fort.
Having a sudden increase of additional units in the area can take your FPS down like a paraplegic on an ice covered hill.

Eктωρ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17545 on: December 04, 2011, 02:23:57 pm »

Remember the kobold I killed? I buried her. No, I didn't use a coffin, I made a refuse stockpile that only accepted kobold corpses. I dug a little chamber on the tile south of the slab, put her in there and closed it with a wooden floor. I feel happy now.
Ektor is in a constant state of internal rage

Kepplerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17546 on: December 04, 2011, 02:42:48 pm »

Remember the kobold I killed? I buried her. No, I didn't use a coffin, I made a refuse stockpile that only accepted kobold corpses. I dug a little chamber on the tile south of the slab, put her in there and closed it with a wooden floor. I feel happy now.

You have redeemed yourself.
Having a sudden increase of additional units in the area can take your FPS down like a paraplegic on an ice covered hill.

Eктωρ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17547 on: December 04, 2011, 04:03:44 pm »

:)
Ektor is in a constant state of internal rage

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17548 on: December 04, 2011, 04:10:31 pm »

Trying out a beekeeping industry for the first time. It'd be pretty neat if it wasn't so buggy. No pun intended. Still managed to get a few pots of mead out of it.

Fishbulb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17549 on: December 04, 2011, 05:08:52 pm »

I looked it up on the wiki after struggling with beekeeping. Mead has the same value as sewer brew. For all the time and work it takes, it oughta be worth ten barrels of sunshine.
Pages: 1 ... 1168 1169 [1170] 1171 1172 ... 3842