Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6124144 times)

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #1650 on: March 09, 2010, 09:30:02 pm »

My hammerer's room is filled with toys. That he bought. With money. In between state-sanctioned murderings of my poor dwarves.

I find this disturbing.

You do realize what this means, right?  Your Hammerer is really a sweet, caring person.  He/she only does what he/she does because that's his/her job and failure to do so will result in summary hammering and execution by his/her replacement.

Really? To me it seems like it should be the subject of an episode of criminal minds. Like he just... snapped. And now is doomed to forever obey the orders of the nobles, viewing his fellow dwarf as though they were disposable. Like the cloth doll that the child destroys no matter how many times it is sewn back together.

Heh. I guess "hammerer" isn't for everyone. No matter what the G.O.A.T. says.
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: March 09, 2010, 09:44:03 pm »

apparently, elves starve when put in cages. Maybe not if the cage is in a stockpile, but if you 'b'uild the cage they certainly do. Wonder how horrible it must have been to starve to death in a prison made out of the wood he loved so much... And the best part? His cage was in my main meeting area, so he had a large dwarven audience to his pathetic end!
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: March 09, 2010, 09:48:52 pm »

Allied elves like merchants can starve. Hostile elves do not. They'll spend the rest of eternity gnashing at the bars if you never let them out.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: March 09, 2010, 09:50:19 pm »

ah, that explains it then. The elf I starved was a merchant went berserk.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: March 09, 2010, 09:51:16 pm »

Best animal trap ever.

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: March 10, 2010, 01:25:28 am »

I recently constructed a giant pyramid out of crucible steel, using bars smelted from the armour of fallen orcs who'd besieged my poor fortress, and capped with a masterwork statue, same source. More recently, goblins decided to lay siege, and in the process a great many goblins, though no dwarfs, were slain on the steel slopes of this memorial to the fallen champions. It has been baptized in the blood of our enemies, which I take as a sign of Armok's approval.

tylor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: March 10, 2010, 01:57:23 am »

Dwarf was running from Baron of Hell through the mine shaft.
Yeah, between DoomRL and DF I have a lot of ASCII graphics dreams lately...

Dwarf's name was Daria Morgendorfer, btw.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: March 10, 2010, 05:11:26 am »

Allied elves like merchants can starve. Hostile elves do not. They'll spend the rest of eternity gnashing at the bars if you never let them out.

I don't know about enemy elves who came to attack, but berserk elven merchants can definitely starve. I ended up having to make elves not need food, sleep, or water. Just too much work for me to capture the annual caravan and then lose them to silly things like death.

edit: I'm within sight of the end! I've been playing Undergrotto 4-8 hours a day since the last week of October, and I think I'm finally done, or as close to done as I'll ever be. Only thing left to do is up the popcap and let the county become a duchy, then I'll see how many roads I have left to build before the king avec entourage shows up. I've offered millions of dwarfbucks at this point, and all the rooms are ready and well past merely royal. Then all I have left to do is the last DFMA upload, finish the writeup, and post :D!

my god, am I excited.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 05:59:18 am by Retro »

Chaos341

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: March 10, 2010, 06:01:21 pm »

Started a fort with dig deeper in a haunted area, just watched an elf merchant fleeing from skeletal penguins get ripped apart by invading orcs. I also no longer have a zombie problem due to the orcs.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: March 10, 2010, 06:20:54 pm »

Oddom Kindlerelics, the young child who had her hands horribly by a fire imp when she was a baby, lost her mother to madness brought on by injuries sustained from that same imp, and lost her father during a cave-in, has fully recovered - before she had even grown to a full adult!  Healing through three red injuries for a dwarf without any attribute increases, let alone in just a year or two, can't be that common.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Banana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: March 10, 2010, 07:04:06 pm »

since i moved my barracks and range up outside to rid of cave adaptation, i turned my old barracks(which happened to have a dollar sign built into the floor) into my first marketplace with like 10 shops

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: March 10, 2010, 07:37:41 pm »

Building my dungeon master an awesome suite of rooms.  Mostly to make the more useless nobles jealous.

Banana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: March 10, 2010, 09:07:59 pm »

adding a hammerdwarf squad to my military

currently i have an axedwarf squad with one champion an axedwarf, and 2 recruits, a swordsdwarf squad with 2 champions, a swordmaster, and a sword dwarf, and 2 marksdwarf squads with 4 marksdwarves each, and now i have a hammerdwarf squad with 3 recruits.

vogonpoet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: March 11, 2010, 02:21:08 am »

I just had my first mood after a recent mass immigration, and of course, after microing 8 peasants to dabbling armorer, some other random dwude winds up getting another woodcrafting mood.

I don't mind though, cos he was on his way to bed at the time, having just received a red wound to his right leg from a pesky bow goblin ambush (led by yet another traitorous dwarf?!), and watching him gather the 6 crappy items that went into his fancy flute, passing out every now and then, and generally taking an incredibly long time, was fun.

Everything I know about reality, I learned from Dwarf Fortress.

tylor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: March 11, 2010, 02:34:17 am »

Of 8 strange moods, 6 was "possessed" :/ And of two others, one gone berserk beacuase of lack of cloth, and other is now making obsidian mechanisms at 1020 dwarfbucks a piece.

Most annoying thing about that mad dwarf is that it happened just when elves were in trade depot, unloading their goods for for third month, and eventually leaving when they ran out of time. Hmm, probably I should have disband trade post or something, then I'd have a legendary weaver or something. Not that much of a loss, though.
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 3842