Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 3838

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5965929 times)

Dunc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #165 on: November 08, 2009, 06:08:41 pm »

Right now I'm working on stopping a massive flood I've caused. I accidentally let a defensive moat break into the side wall of a massive valley. The valley is big enough that the flood never stabilises, it keeps pouring and I suspect it lowers my FPS but I don't really know. In any case, I'm going to reclaim the valley by setting up pumps along one part of my moat, so I can dam it.

Dunc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 08, 2009, 06:13:21 pm »

Oh, and as I'm finishing mining my easily-available adamantium reserves, I'm contemplating a heist into the HFS to liberate the adamantium in its walls (36 among the top levels of the HFS, 11 on the bottom where I don't want to chance it).  I might go floor by floor, popping through the walls, having someone build a floor tile on the stairs downward, and taking what is mine.

loser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 08, 2009, 06:26:45 pm »

Oh, and as I'm finishing mining my easily-available adamantium reserves, I'm contemplating a heist into the HFS to liberate the adamantium in its walls (36 among the top levels of the HFS, 11 on the bottom where I don't want to chance it).  I might go floor by floor, popping through the walls, having someone build a floor tile on the stairs downward, and taking what is mine.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
ΘπÆ┼
What are you doing in my home?
It's a difficult question to answer.

A-chana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 08, 2009, 06:39:02 pm »

Small update on my fort: It just exploded. I had no migrants for several seasons, and then suddenly twenty-three show up on my doorstep. Do note that I only have eight bedrooms and three extra beds. Good thing I was beginning to do some deforestation.

I spent some time renaming them all to the theme I have going, which didn't go too well since I tried to match names to them by personality. Sadly, the name source has very few sane characters, and I had way too many happy dwarves crash in the fort.

This will be great. Absolutely beautiful.

Dunc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 08, 2009, 07:20:18 pm »

Archbaron

• Bay Watcher
  • [LEADER_TYPE:BARON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 08, 2009, 08:49:54 pm »

Inkhelm is now up to 71 people, and the economy is going extremely strong. I'm expecting the Baron to arrive very soon, so that's really exciting (not!)

I've been repeatedly ambushed by increasingly larger goblin groups, and even though I have an extremely large and strong military, I'm afraid that one day the goblins are going to kill someone who is really popular and send me into a spiraling tantrum! After finishing my bauxite road, I began work on leveling the top of the mountain for stone, and then I began my first megaproject, a sacrificial temple. It spans 20 z levels, and is a circle, smoothed and engraved on all levels and bedecked with expensive pillars and statues. It has a dwarf on the floor, and the eyes and mouth are all bridges connected to a lever, so that goblins can be thrown into the mouth and PLUMMET to the ground and explode. It's almost complete! :D

Rozenbuddy

• Bay Watcher
  • High on Caffine
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 09, 2009, 10:33:48 am »

Goblins may seem like a burden, but I've learned they're great resources. After the first few raids, you can sell all of their giant spiders stuffs and fancy "small" or "narrow" items that you can't use, also if you're deprived of metal you can always melt all their narrow armors. However this can heavily plague an economy... with all the "narrow" goods and expensive items they'll destroy your stores. Oh and realy, if you have magma, that bauxite road is a waste... oh and for your temple, you might want to add a statue of statues of a dwarf, I find them quite nice.

Fien

• Bay Watcher
  • I kinda miss 40d, I knew how that worked.....sorta
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 09, 2009, 02:19:22 pm »

Goblins decided to ambush me right as I'd finished training up two full 5-dwarf sword squads (obsidian SS, copper plate armor, iron shields) and a human caravan showed up.

"Slaughter" is too light a word. Goblinite anyone?

Anyway I've stopped getting migrants so it's time to do some smoothing and building.

*edit* just started a massive mining project to look for some iron and flux now that I've got plenty of charcoal.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 02:44:08 pm by Fien »
In his house at Fondledbread, bored Cthulhu sits playing.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 09, 2009, 02:30:25 pm »

Construction of the 'lid' to rockhome the great fortress (AKA, the Rockhome Dome) has begun, as has work on the noble quarters. Population is now 181. Thought I'd capped it at lower! Oh, well. Many hands makes shorter (hauling) work.

The Legendary glassmaker is turning out clear glass windows, and I'm realizing that I'm creating what is essentially a stadium. Mass crafting has been turned off (10 stations of rockcrafts) did significant damage to the excess stone at the main floor (half cleared!), and I have switched back to making rock blocks en masse to clear out the rest, and provide materials for the rest of the dome.

My military is destroying all invading forces (Thanks to orcs, we have 600+ steel bars... after crafting at least 100 steel bins, 30 full sets of steel armor, etc.), but sadly, an ambush claimed the life of the Mountainhome liason. Fortunately, my nobles all like common things and aren't much trouble to maintain, so the masterwork spikes have seen no use since the tax collector who wanted dragonscale items (The new one just likes dresses).

The power plant is ready to go, with one problem: No flow. After thinking about it, I believe I will create a pump channel and tower to the cistern, and circulate the water. I have 2 legendary millstones to place, and it would be no trouble to power them.

Lowest z level has the catacombs dug out, including the king's tomb. Ample space for pet cemetery. All smoothed. Need to remove the stone.

Supplies are all green.

This is easily my most successful megaproject to date, and will be awesome once finished. But there's a long way to go; most of the problem is handling all the excess stone without resorting to the atom smasher.

To Do:

1. Mine out & Set up permanent underground farming areas, food/brewing facilities, food stockpiles.
2. Put roof over lake area to eliminate vomiting and unhappiness
3. Finish noble/administrative quarters, transfer nobility.
4. Transfer Dining room and barracks/communal sleep area
5. (Carefully!) destroy old dining room, barracks, noble quarters (with the masterwork engravings)
6. Carve final entrance ramps  and defensive positions, build depot courtyard.
7. Figure out how to best arrange workshops/stockpiles and living quarters.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 09, 2009, 05:37:31 pm »

Elves had the gall to bring me 12 bins of cloth. So I took them. And sent the elves home with a 5 stack of radishes. In retrospect, I should have grabbed those - I have plenty of food but it's all plump helmets, and the surface farms of corn, carrots, tomatoes, and watermelons won't yield a crop for at least a season. Though radishes suck, you can't brew them, that's why I grow the other foods. For some reason it wouldn't let me grow taters though, so no vodka (just as well, when the humans brought some my dwarves didn't mine in a straight line for months).

Actually, in retrospect I should have tested the pump modification I made to my orc drowner on those damn elves. In addition to opening floodgates into the brook, I added a pump above the chamber to pump water down. It means I can't close the drawbridges until the pits are full of water, but it's faster so I guess it evens out.

In other news, my speardwarves are almost ready. Figured I'd try something new, decked out in iron chainmail and steel plate they're pretty fearsome, and for the first time without cheating I managed to get them trained with no permanent injury. Which is important since I haven't traded with the dwarves for two years now, so they still think I'm at near poverty levels and have stopped sending immigrants. Suddenly dwarves are a rare commodity... that really sucks. Once they're finished I'll give them the crucible steel tridents my weaponsmith made, combined with my small squad of marksdwarves the orc drowner may just be a "fun" thing to play with.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Glod Glodsson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 09, 2009, 08:03:11 pm »

Mining continues on the 3rd lowest z-lvl, in which buildings are starting to rise. The megaproject is well on its way.  ;D

In other news: searching like mad for the magma pipe. I know it is out there, just want to know where it is so it doesnt flood my underground city...
DF Wisdom: Just because Urist killed a dragon bare handed, while in his birthday suit, does not mean he does not enjoy a cat meat bruschetta served with a keg of strawberry wine.

Archbaron

• Bay Watcher
  • [LEADER_TYPE:BARON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 09, 2009, 08:25:43 pm »

Goblins may seem like a burden, but I've learned they're great resources. After the first few raids, you can sell all of their giant spiders stuffs and fancy "small" or "narrow" items that you can't use, also if you're deprived of metal you can always melt all their narrow armors. However this can heavily plague an economy... with all the "narrow" goods and expensive items they'll destroy your stores. Oh and realy, if you have magma, that bauxite road is a waste... oh and for your temple, you might want to add a statue of statues of a dwarf, I find them quite nice.
Yeah, I'm exporting all their items for massive profits!

And no, I don't have any magma, but an obscene amount of bauxite, so I decided to go all out. Plus, the road is blood-red which is AWESOME.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 09, 2009, 08:28:48 pm »

Blue dragon attacked my surface fort. (Vanilla dragon + wings,+ size 37 + 20 power melee "lightning" attack)  It quickly makes a beeline for the fortress, flying through the air.  My military get to the walls expecting it to fly over any second.  it never does.

I go looking for the damn thing and it appears it's brain turned off about 20 tiles from the walls, 3 z levels up.

So I send all my military outside into a formation, Dragoons(spearmen) up front, swordsmen and crossbowmen in the 2nd and third rows and slowly inch towards it until proximity wakes it up.  At which point my entire military of 20 soldiers play dogpile on the dragon. And slice stab and shoot it into oblivion.

Only one casualty from the fight, the poor dragoon that the dragon had charged. I swear all that was left of the guy was half an arm a torso and a head.  And that head wasn't looking all that great either.

Eventually the dragon fell unconscious while nibbling on lucky, apparently from a lance to the upper body that mangled both lungs and the heart, and the military poked ineffectually at it until it bled out.

So now I have a stack of 150 some bone bolts that one of the crossbowmen is hogging an archery target with, a shiny new totem to scare the elves away with, a nice comfortable blue dragon leather armor, and some dragon steak.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Kyrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: November 09, 2009, 08:42:55 pm »

This is my first fortress, so I'm determined to hold out until I get the king, but there is almost nothing to do now. I have more of every resource than I could ever need, my military is so large and well-trained that sieges end in three minutes, I finished digging out enough tombs at the bottom z level so that every dwarf could have their own tomb, my generic inverted pyramid building project's lost steam, and now I'm just setting up several ways to end my fort once the king comes.

Areas channeled out so that channeling out one more thing will cause a cave-in? Check. Dwarf processing rooms so that noble and commondwarf alike can (P)ull the lever and be in awe of the iron spike that just shot through them? Check. Popular champions that can be locked in a room to starve to death? Check. Dwarves on Justice Row who will be very rapidly and violently punished once I start dwarven justice by appointing a sheriff? Check. An aquifer in one corner of the fort(which is just barely in a different biome from the rest) that I can tap into to flood 13 levels of fortress? Check. My own personal squad of caged goblins that can be set free in the middle of my fortess to murder civilians? Check. Elbowbread(thanks for the awesome fortress name to go along with the civ "The Barricaded Furnace" and the local government "The New Urns of Mortality", guys) will not go gently into that good night.

Nothing magma-related though, this fort doesn't have any. (although I do know one thing I'll be looking for in Fort #2! Managing the fuel chain for smelting got old after a while)

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 09, 2009, 10:13:25 pm »

I think this fortress is fairly stable.
Famous last words.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 3838