Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6124112 times)

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #1635 on: March 09, 2010, 04:28:19 pm »

Just started a new fort because I got bored with my old one, been about a year, uneventful so far, just got my magma forges up and running. Should be churning out steel in no time... Im planning to engrave every single wall and floor tile of my fort and have masterwork steel statues in every niche and corridor :D
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: March 09, 2010, 04:36:49 pm »

building an elf trap in my wood-industry based fort. Basically a giant, hollowed out wooden block with a trading depot in it set to collapse into the bottom, where I can either let the elves rot or drop in captured gobbos to harrass them. Also, there's a sort of dwarven airlock formed using two sets of doors connected to levers, so I can send in the armed dwarves without worrying about any escapees. some cage traps in the bottom too, but I think they might deconstruct when the Depot collapses on them. If not I'll have caged elves to use for fun stuff.

Does anyone know if traps deconstruct when a cave-in hits them?
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #1637 on: March 09, 2010, 04:42:46 pm »

Year 6 of Gearholes has been lots of fun for the Dwarves.  They caught three deer in the early spring (2 females and a male, meaning there will be venison galore by year 9), the third tower was completed (and made into an execution tower), the nobles have been kept complacent, and there's a whole mess of new riches that have brought the fortress wealth just over the 4 million mark.  The Goblins, foolish as they are, tried to siege the fort and simply donated 16 of their number to the cage traps (and another 16 who lacked the good sense to turn back to the Hammerdwarf elite's game of Goblin Golf).  The human caravan arrived this year with its mess of noble-pleasing metals, the cheese stocks are back up, and there's happiness abound.  The Dwarves are secretly hoping the Goblins send another siege later this year, so they can get a proper arena going down below (16 Goblins and 1 Titan vs. 10 champion Hammerdwarves is hardly fair odds for the Goblins and Titan, after all).
Sanity is for the weak.

JimiD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Palace Blowing
« Reply #1638 on: March 09, 2010, 04:50:33 pm »

The great fort of Palace Blowing, my Underworld Challenge fort continues, following a brief pause while I was unfaithful with another game.

The excavations are complete, and we have only the tidying up to do now.  All the gold nuggests have been smelted into bars, and the garnerite is safely stored above the flood level.  We await the end of the world (next release), at which point the magma will be released, and the floor properly cleaned.  In the meantime, everyone is busy tidying up the mess left from the excavations, sorting furniture into a keep and melt pile, and endevouring to store away all the rock crafts that were made in a valiant effort to use up all the stone.  Most of the main layers were evaporated off, and only the clusters remain.  And we still have 9,000 odd stone around.

And unlike many, in the next world we pray for human and elf civilisations.  I seem to have genned a world in which no decent site has any contact with either of them.  This has its pluses, in that trade is only a yearly distraction, but on the downside, it is hard to trade away the stone craft.  The gobbos have worked out when the caravan arrives to the day, and will seige just after.  I havent had an opportunity to dump trade away the rock crafts for years.  The stock piles are full.

The sieges get dealt with easily enough now, and the ambushes are a welcome distraction for the military, who now have goblinite iron armour.

The main trouble maker is my mayor, who keeps mandating Adamantine.  I got excited at the begining, wondering if this meant I had some on the map, but I know for sure now, it aint there.  I still havent found any, and look forward to the next release, which should have some on every map, no?

I think I will stick with this evaporation of main layers from now on.  There is enough stone left to make stuff, the main problem is that it is all coloured, not white/grey.  Makes for garish rooms.  Although if I lived underground, perhaps I would prefer that!

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: March 09, 2010, 04:55:37 pm »

The main trouble maker is my mayor, who keeps mandating Adamantine.  I got excited at the begining, wondering if this meant I had some on the map, but I know for sure now, it aint there.  I still havent found any, and look forward to the next release, which should have some on every map, no?
I think it was just magma where there would be "a little on every map, even if just on the bottom".

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: March 09, 2010, 06:45:05 pm »

Huh, looks like my brook is even weaker than I thought it was since as soon as I began channeling off the brook surface beyond what was in it's own cut canyon, it began to dry up. Also, its the start of spring, and I'm in a desert. I forget the exact temp, suppoused to be a warm biome I think.

I was planning on using the surface exposed magma pipe to plug it near the start point, I have a raised bridge that I put at the map edge there to stop things from coming in that way which should keep the source tiles safe.

I've also noticed that I seem to have triggered a burst of life (various vermin spawning all along the brook) as it turns into a stream.

Edit: Hrm, looks like the brook is recovering on its own.... doesn't really explain why it seemed to weaken. Could be a seasonal thing since I haven't observed the brooks yearly cycles.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 06:51:31 pm by smjjames »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: March 09, 2010, 07:16:45 pm »

When it gets really hot, larger bodies of water can evaporate. (1/7 deep water can always evaporate)  It's most noticable when it effects murky pools, but all water is effected, including brooks rivers and oceans.

Rivers and oceans generally have enough source to make it barely noticeable, but brooks only have 4 tiles of source, which can't always outdo the evaporation on really large maps, or particularly curvy runs.   Diverting some into a fortress exaggerates the effect.  On quite a few occasions I had a brook that at it's end never had water deeper than 1/7.  I once had a brook that was completely dry all year round a good 4 or 5 tiles before reaching the edge as well.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: March 09, 2010, 07:25:01 pm »

I know that, I don't have any murky pools on my map, so I don't know what the evaporation rate is for the area.

I don't often work with brooks, usually UG rivers.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: March 09, 2010, 07:49:16 pm »

Apparently while stupidly playing under the influence, I botched some of my mining designations and four miners died. This is on a fort where I've heavily controlled migrants from the beginning, so everyone in the fort (including a kid) has been best friends for decades and is at least level-27 in all social skills. They might take this a little hard.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: March 09, 2010, 07:55:44 pm »

my game is running at a whopping 3 fps as my dwarves labor away at an all wooden wall around the whole map with a small gap where a wooden road leads to my depot through a soon-to-be heavily trapped area. Also, if anyone read my previous post, yes, traps do deconstruct when trade depots are collapsed on them, but that's ok cus I got a caged berserking elf merchant to show for it. Any elves coming onto my map will find out right away exactly where I think they should shove their anti deforesting ethics.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: March 09, 2010, 08:27:21 pm »

Fantastic news!  Oddom Kindlerelics, the child with the burnt hands, has had her hands heal from red to yellow in spite of having no toughness level!  Normally this wouldn't be notable, but if you read the sad, sad story of Oddom, I'm REALLY looking forward to turning her into a legendary warrior or something.

[Edit] And my broker just got a fey mood, causing a diplomat to leave unhappy.  Fortunately, he's a jewelcrafter, so this should end well.

[Edit 2] Babin Tharith, "The Friend of Hurricanes", a Kunzite mini-forge.  Studded with gold, decorated with one-humped camel bone, encircled with bands of Kunzite, clear glass, platinum, and Ash.  Adorned with hanging rings of turtle shell, menaces with spikes of Kunzite.  On the item is an image of dwarves in Granite.  The dwarves are traveling.  The artwork relates to the foundation of this city.
168,000 dwarfbucks.  I like it.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 08:42:29 pm by shadowform »
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: March 09, 2010, 09:11:53 pm »

My hammerer's room is filled with toys. That he bought. With money. In between state-sanctioned murderings of my poor dwarves.

I find this disturbing.
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: March 09, 2010, 09:14:04 pm »

My hammerer's room is filled with toys. That he bought. With money. In between state-sanctioned murderings of my poor dwarves.

I find this disturbing.

I find this hilarious.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #1648 on: March 09, 2010, 09:20:21 pm »

I find this disturbing.

You do realize what this means, right?  Your Hammerer is really a sweet, caring person.  He/she only does what he/she does because that's his/her job and failure to do so will result in summary hammering and execution by his/her replacement.
Sanity is for the weak.

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: March 09, 2010, 09:22:44 pm »

I find this disturbing.

You do realize what this means, right?  Your Hammerer is really a sweet, caring person.  He/she only does what he/she does because that's his/her job and failure to do so will result in summary hammering and execution by his/her replacement.

Or maybe he's gonna smash 'em.
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 [110] 111 112 ... 3842