Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6124029 times)

LostxInxThought

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #1620 on: March 08, 2010, 10:11:15 am »

After a somewhat extended break from Dwarf Fortress, I decided to make a new fort in a peaceful river valley to readjust to dwarven behaviour...

Turns out it wasn't so peaceful after all, there were no goblins, but it turns out, my dwarven civ is at war with the elves... first spring, I've managed to minimise how much wealth I created because I wanted to hold off the first migrant wave for a bit, so, with only my 7 founders, the elves attack, I managed to close the gates (Cinnabar Draw bridge) before anyone died.. now to try and get rid of them.
my plan is, to activate bowyer on my carpenter, have him make 7 crossbows, and make whatever wood I have left into wooden arrows, and try to build a marksdwarf platform above my walls so my dwarves can actually see (and thus, attack) the pointy eared tree huggers.

:) It's good to be back.

Faden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: March 08, 2010, 11:18:52 am »

Started a new fortress in an evil grassland, my outdoorsmen keep getting picked off by flocks of harpies. I am training crossbowmen when the migrants get here, and making crossbows and bolts until then.

JimboOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: March 08, 2010, 11:38:24 am »

Besieged by Humans that after two months of sieging seem more interested in dancing around the campfire than coming to attack me.  I'm going to try to set up a catapult at some distance to crash their party - I'd rather they just marched in, I even lowered the drawbridges and trained some more dorfs to fight them off.

Grif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: March 08, 2010, 12:16:40 pm »

A new embark location, 5X3, and it's a taiga with lots of trees and rather high cliffs on the western side, perfect for my new fortress; add to that a magma pool I had no idea was there (location was just choosen randomly) and a female dwarf leader named Ineth Ablelvukcas (Bustcrescent! so I get she has a crescent shaped bust...) and i'm happy as a fisherdwarf in a carpless lake. 

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: March 08, 2010, 12:27:33 pm »

I have been looking at my artifacts since I found out how to do that.
the first one built was quite useful. A nice wood table that is in my lunch room.
I never noticed the second one. Its a Platinum door encrusted with jems that I had happend to buy to ballence the trade profit thing.
Its worth 190 000 what ever the monetary units are.
Ill save it for my well room when I get that figured out.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: March 08, 2010, 01:48:19 pm »

just had a dorf taken by a mood. Apparently he wants silk, which I don't have, so I'll probably lose him unless he can hold out till the next caravan. It's currently early winter, so this is doubtful... stationed a couple champion wrestlers nearby just in case.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: March 08, 2010, 06:25:34 pm »

Its three or four years into my new fort and I already have a population boom. I don't usually start having births until after or a bit before I hit 100 pop. I now have 3 kids (minus one immigrant kid) and 7 babies. In fact, not that long ago, three dwarves gave birth on the same day, I've had several births the previous year.

I guess when Armok says be fruitful, he MEANS be fruitful.

bmaczero

• Bay Watcher
  • Smokie, Tame Parakeet (On Head)
    • View Profile
    • I make games
« Reply #1627 on: March 08, 2010, 07:03:00 pm »

Its worth 190 000 what ever the monetary units are.
Dorfbucks
The Forgotten Beast Art Archive.  Nightmares 100% guaranteed!

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: March 09, 2010, 02:09:58 am »

By useless, are they mangled or amputated?
Mangled, not amputated.  They're in red.

And speaking of which, the child's father, Ingish glazestrokes, just died.  I'd like to say he did it defending the fort, but he was a miner.  He managed to somehow cause a cave in while using the mass ramp method of channeling out large sections of floor.  I didn't even know that was possible.

I'm honestly starting to feel kind of sorry for the kid, it's like one of those glurgy chain letters.  Her profile says: calm demeanor, very slow to anger, often feels discouraged, occasionally overindulges, can be very happy and optimistic, and likes to try new things.  Her story (mother dies in an accident before she could walk, both her hands are burned irreparably in the same accident, father died on the job two years later, spent her entire life hospitalized) plus the personality are seriously like the setup to some sad, touching Hollywood movie.  The only thing worse that could happen is her getting abducted by a goblin thief or something.

I've also been having some more problems with fire imps getting into the forges.  Activated my hunter - Kulet Wireblizzard - and stationed him in the area while masons installed some floor grates, and he ended up chasing an imp into the magma.  He was a fairly successful hunter, too: 23 camels (assorted), four horses, two groundhogs, a giant leopard, and one of the four imps.  One of his hunting dogs killed the imp that lured him into the magma, so at least he can rest easy.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: March 09, 2010, 10:44:14 am »

So an elven caravan shows up and then a heartbeat later I get a siege. Elves die leaving behind a White Tiger in a cage. The plan now is to train it and then assign it to a dwarf whom I will dub "Sigfried Roy".
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: March 09, 2010, 11:04:41 am »

started an embark pretty much entirely to piss off the elves. Picked an area near an elven settlement with lots of trees, and cheated a little to outfit all but two maintenance and upkeep dwarves with steel axes and full carp leather garb. They are currently in the process of clearcutting, some of the results of which I may turn into traps to kill the elves, but most of which is just going to sit around in a stockpile. If this doesn't bring the elves to war, I'm going to offer them wooden goods and seize their caravans and, if all else fails,start collecting elves and just dumping them in a pit and leaving them there.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: March 09, 2010, 12:10:12 pm »

I actually haven't been playing much, due to finding the best game ever. Even better than DF. I Wanna Be The Guy.

That said, I just embarked in a badlands area with nothing but an aquifer and a magma pipe. My goal is to carve the entire map (except for a ~25x25 area for farms and water) down to the aquifer, then obsidian-cast the whole thing.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: March 09, 2010, 12:56:07 pm »

Trying to survive with low population fortress (currently only 9 dwarfs, second year going).
As with only nine dwarfs, I can't afford to place any to military for guarding, had to use some constructional methods to guard my fort:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I took the plan from the forums, and it's very effective. So far, four ambushes has been stopped by the caravan guards alone. First, human caravan destroyed one ambush, then when dwar caravan came they releaved 3 other ambush one after another, each destroyed by the guards. Lots of stuff for trading and melting  8)
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Horseplank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: March 09, 2010, 01:02:52 pm »

I've got a pissy king locked up for strangling one of my dogs in the dining hall.
The Wolf's head flies off in a bloody arc!

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: March 09, 2010, 02:50:55 pm »

After five in-game years of the aboveground fortress...

• I finally got a siege with numbers high enough to kill a few dwarves. This is important because, due to the lack of unnecessary rock being dug up and needing to be dumped, there have been long periods of time with 15+ dwarves doing nothing, and therefore a lot of friends have been made.

Let's see what happens, shall we?

• Also, I had to build and throw my mayor under a bridge in a hurry when she mandated no Clear Glass items be exported, just after I'd finished trading my bins of Clear Glass goblets to the dwarf caravan (this also after she had mandated three jaguar leather items be made). Thankfully it was built before the caravan left. Maybe I'll get my old mayor reelected, which would be cool. He was the one who made most of the goblets in the first place, so I'm sure he understands my urgency in getting rid of the previous mayor.

• I think I'm going to make my noble rooms out of green glass from now on when possible, even underground. My Count has been very easy to please with all his rooms and furniture built entirely out of the stuff.
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 3842