Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1071 1072 [1073] 1074 1075 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6093638 times)

Roraborialisforealis

• Bay Watcher
  • [HATEBILLION:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #16080 on: September 06, 2011, 12:54:28 pm »

One of my soldier dwarfs decided they like spiders for their poison, and was EXCITED from a spider bite, THAT PUT THEM IN THE HOSPITAL.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Mechanixm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16081 on: September 06, 2011, 12:57:25 pm »

Rampartrock is currently under siege by no less than 100 demons.

There are 6 Forgotten Beasts sealed off in the caverns.

I have new squad of Hammer Dworfs that can't decide if they want to move to their station or go pick up equipment.

The magma heated obsidian bathhouse with Masterwork engravings and Platinum statues has been completed.  We might not be able to go outside, but we can sure as dwarf take a bubble bath.

The arena for all of the caged prisoners has been finished...complete with magma flush system to clear up the debris.

All in all, things are well in Rampartrock....discounting the 10 years in a row with no migrants...not that they could get through the armies of demons outside though...  Population holding at 58.

McDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16082 on: September 06, 2011, 01:12:51 pm »

Looks like my dwarves violated a export ban. Arrest warrants have been issued for 15 dwarves.
I've ordered more restraints to be built, but it is going to take some time.

Eктωρ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16083 on: September 06, 2011, 02:43:35 pm »

Ektor is in a constant state of internal rage

Mechanixm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16084 on: September 06, 2011, 02:43:55 pm »

My 20 cell jail remains free of inhabitants.

The one hauler peasant that got upset over one of his "creations" being destroyed by magma, and subsequently destroyed an obsidian throne in the meeting hall, was summarily bashed again and again in the head by a wooden training hammer until he died.  Urist McWoody went a bit far with his punishment... 

Urist McElvis feels no remorse over the beating.  Justice has been served...

Jakob

• Bay Watcher
  • !!FABULOUS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16085 on: September 06, 2011, 03:23:35 pm »

My first working fortress was just destroyed by a giant flying zombie swallow with antennas and rejuvenating limbs who shot acid dust while croaking.

D:
Build a replica of the Krusty Krab around the creature, then lock prisoners customers inside it so that the sponge can mutilate them take their order.

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16086 on: September 06, 2011, 03:28:22 pm »

The Halls of Gold is in its 14th year, and the Dangerous Boulders are thriving, with a population of 172 (shouldn't get much higher, as I've reduced the pop cap), a total created wealth of 3,155,771 dwarf bucks, exports worth 499,486 (exceeds imports), and 23 artefacts created (the last of which was a tetrahedrite piccolo - despite my attempts to manage artefact production, I havn't had many actually useful things made).

My main work projects at the moment are building a more impressive gatehouse on the outer wall (which is coming along nicely), and trying to redesign the water supply for the hospital so I can get non-stagnate water (hopefully it will work this time).

My baron still has his old obsessions: "More hammers!  More pig iron!", and I've been able to indulge her without too much effort.  (My mayor is unfortunately rather less dwarfy, and wants nickle and earrings, but I've been able to keep him supplied as well).

The most interesting event lately was when a dwarven caravan got ambushed three times, and manage to fight off the gobbos every time.  On the third ambush, a goblin bowman attacked a swordsdwarf from point-blank range, the guard struck at the gobbo, and the gobbo dodged... into the 16 z-level high skylight above my main meeting hall/booze stockpile, where my carousing dwarves were startled by the sudden appearence (and explosion) of the equally startled gobbo.
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

Malarauko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16087 on: September 06, 2011, 04:34:16 pm »

My fort has finally finished my ultra siege protocol preparations. Burrows are all completely up to date and designed to allow the fort to continue under the conditions. The huge resevoirs that feed the washing system and hospital are both linked up to fill without exposing themselves to the surface. The secret tunnel that allows me to move troops to small fortified buildings all over the map is finished. At the main entrance the fort with drawbridges, towers, moats, traps and a huge perimeter wall is finally all finished up (all this is built out of shale because of a huge mountain of the stuff on my map which I completely levelled to fuel all the building). To enter my fort now you have to cross a retractable drawbridge (with the level safely inside a really busy area of my fort deep underground right next to the rooms of the guy who is in charge of JUST pulling levers) hanging over a deep drowning pit then you have to go through a narrow trap lined corridor. If you get through that you get into the inner courtyard which has 3 barracks full of crossbowdwarves on the level above it able to fire down through fortifications. Also off this courtyard is a barracks for a unit of axedwarves (my second best unit all very experienced melee dwarves). Past this courtyard is another drawbridge over a pit leading into my arena. If anything gets this far it'll be through a combination of extreme deadliness and luck with the drawbridges. However at this point they come to the fortress proper. The burrows are designed to empty and seal the top level and then the dragon is unleashed. I also have my best militia ready to attack anything that makes it to this level. It can also be flooded or transformed into an "alternative" version by sealing some tunnels and revealing others. The revealed tunnels contain traps and other nasties. In my estimate these defences should make my fortress secure for all of 5 minutes.
Dwarf Fortress - Losing is fun.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16088 on: September 06, 2011, 04:35:23 pm »

Just got this first fort's artifact, a PIG TAIL FIBER SOCK111!!!1!!!!111!!!!!!

Circled with bans of pig tail fiber thread, menaces with spikes of pig tail fiber cloth.

I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16089 on: September 06, 2011, 06:42:44 pm »

So much has gone on in Lordgates, my new Mountain-homes-fortress. Trying to create the dwarven mountain homes in two parts: Lordgates, an enormous city on the edge of a lake in a 4x4 embark, with three boat dock areas and soon to be a shipyard. I've got the dwarves running at speed:50 because I want to get it done and move onto the as-of-yet-unnamed capital in the mountains behind it. Lordgates has no normally embarkable biomes in it, just the mountain covering 3/4 of it, and the lake, 80 z-levels below, on the Eastern edge of the embark. I've dug out the grand halls, a central dining area, and the ship docks.

This year, I spent the summer making a shaft down to the magma sea for the metalsmithing operations. I have NOTHING but tetrahedrite for metals, though, so getting around to importing tons upon tons of sand, clay, metal bars and ores, and wood is going to be necessary.

As I was opening the forges' magma chamber to fill it, I got the message; "You have found a curious underground structure."
And as I had suspected, that's exactly where all the zombie and skeletal animals I'd seen in runesmith were hanging out.

It's also the source of the MASSIVE lag I've been experiencing for the longest time: Some of those things are ‼ON FIRE‼, which has been burning through the cavern mosses around the fortress. Not sure how that happened down there with no magma access and no naturally burning materials, but it just increases my urge to rid the world of the blasted things. Too bad the capital itself won't have the fortress under it.

On a rather cool note, my local government's symbol is two half-moons, being the government's name is The Palace Shield this is appropriate. I will be laying out these moons in silver bars on the floors of the larger sections of the fortress later on.
Even cooler, one of our deities is a mountain wyvern goddess of the mountains. She will have a copper statue dedicated to her constructed on a tower above the center of the grand halls, on a silver base. We also have a god called Risen Risen Datan: Coal the Coal of Iron. Steel. We will import iron and wood and manufacture steel equipment for our use and export.

If there's one thing I need to work out it's how to get rid of all this stone, and set up plenty of residences for the dwarves. I want to include some rather grandiose architecture throughout the city. Then I want to create some even more impressive architecture in the mountain halls itself.

GRAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!!

Curse these fiery abominations! I can do nothing to defend my FPS while they wander across the caverns aimlessly, setting the entirety of it ablaze! Down to 17 fps now.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 07:07:42 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

azrael4h

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Dwarf Fortress-centric You Tube videos, part of my nominally vintage gaming channel.
« Reply #16090 on: September 06, 2011, 07:37:55 pm »

Although it nearly destroyed the last members of Copperabbey, the goblins have been, for the time being, neutralized. 20 dwarves went out armed and armored in iron. One remains. Over 50 dwarven corpses in various states of decay now rest, either in a temporary coffin, or at least in the courtyard. Recovery efforts continue unabated, though it is horribly disorganized. Another 20 goblins are in cages, awaiting their fates. Even the elven corpses are to be recovered, more because they make nifty totems than any other reason.

The population rests at 22, 3 are children, 2 have no parents. The last of the founding seven have perished at the hands of goblins.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16091 on: September 06, 2011, 07:45:21 pm »

So much has gone on in Lordgates, my new Mountain-homes-fortress. Trying to create the dwarven mountain homes in two parts: Lordgates, an enormous city on the edge of a lake in a 4x4 embark, with three boat dock areas and soon to be a shipyard.

Curse these fiery abominations! I can do nothing to defend my FPS while they wander across the caverns aimlessly, setting the entirety of it ablaze! Down to 17 fps now.

FLOOD THE CAVERNS!

Malarauko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16092 on: September 06, 2011, 07:58:47 pm »

Da Vinci is right. Only the Dwarven !!SCIENCE!! of pumping vast amounts of water where its not supposed to go can help you now.
Dwarf Fortress - Losing is fun.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16093 on: September 06, 2011, 09:16:49 pm »

Unfortunately that would result in even lower fps. I'll set up a 'sprinkler system' though, to deal with the fires individually. Maybe it'll put the blasted rock crabs out... They're the only ones on fire.

I'm starting to wonder if I somehow, unintentionally, made rock and gem crabs burst into flames upon popping into existence, rather than them actually being harmed by magma... it would explain three things: 1) why the only things on fire here are the zombie and skeletal rock crabs, 2) how they wound up on fire and 3) why living rock and gem crabs always die, usually on fire, when they appear in my unit list.
I need to look into this... They should be CANNOT_UNDEAD anyway.

In other news, I've updated my mods!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16094 on: September 06, 2011, 10:08:32 pm »

My stoneage fort doesn't farm or use metal. To make it sustainable with more than 20 mouths to inebriate my dorfs have been descending like locusts on massive patches of land and stripping it bare.
Pages: 1 ... 1071 1072 [1073] 1074 1075 ... 3842