Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1061 1062 [1063] 1064 1065 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094876 times)

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #15930 on: August 29, 2011, 08:43:34 pm »

I think I just weaponized elves.

Specifically, the elf caravan... When I locked most of the caravan out with the goblin siege, one of the horses manage to kill a troll, and a couple other trolls took damage. But the real bonus was that the goblins then chased the elves all over the map until they stepped on a bunch of magma landmines. And then elves and goblins melted alike.

Awesome.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #15931 on: August 29, 2011, 11:58:18 pm »

A goblin babysnatcher just snatched a baby. Off of its mothers back. While she was surrounded by her other two children and a pair of war grizzly bears she personally trained. Aboveground forts make child defense surprisingly difficult- I've got plans in that regard, though.

Kosoth Forestink, my unfortunately named Legendary Cook, just went fey, claimed a Masons shop and grabbed a whole mess of items. He made Hazedrink, a limestone throne worth 86k dorfbucks. This throne contains (among many other regular decorations) an image of an elf killing a troll, and an image of the founding of Drunkensteels. Of course, now that he is twice legendary he gets special treatment, and I get the fun of seeing the word "Forestink" show up on all my engravings.

In construction news, the first floor of the Dining Hall is complete, meaning I can get rid of the hole-in-the-ground meeting hall I've been using. Iron tables and chairs, Brass statues, and Limestone block everything makes my dwarves very happy- I'm almost done with the second floor of it, at which point I can start working on a proper dormitory.

All in all, it has been fairly quiet. No Beak Dogs, no goblins, not so much as a harpy.

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15932 on: August 30, 2011, 01:08:46 am »

I nominated my Militia Commander, the greatest Champion of the Fort, for ascension to nobility when the settlement was named a Barony.

Soon thereafter, the goblins came - and due to several ongoing projects, we were unprepared for such an assault.  as 35 goblin swordsmen, axemen, and macemen came in our back entrance - utterly without traps - Deler Paddledangers, the Horns of OWNING - led his squad - just four dwarves, but champions all, to the emergency defense of the fortress.  He was first to arrive.  He was also the only military dwarf to fall in the assault.  He took the general with him - and I have no doubt if not for his heroic actions we would have lost far more than 17 of our 134 dwarves in the assault. 

Any rumors you may be hearing about real life tears being shed over virtual dwarves are surely exaggerated.  Rest assured they are, at the least, very DWARFY tears.

My proud turn in Failcannon | Uzolnom - "Oiledgod"

Quote from: Mego
I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

Quantumtroll

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15933 on: August 30, 2011, 02:58:14 am »

Yesterday I successfully employed my weaponized volcano and melted most of a goblin siege.  The militia mopped up the rest without a problem.  Having now seen it work in practice, I'm planning improvements.  The landscape must be smoothed out so goblin movements becomes more predictable and therefore more easily controlled.  Not sure whether to implement pressure-plates to trigger lava-falls because of the risk of accidental immolation of my own dwarves...

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15934 on: August 30, 2011, 03:46:32 am »

Hurrah! We might just survive, the caravan is here! We have plenty of dead dwarves' clothes to trade for food, and once everyone's not half-dead from starvation, we should be able to hunt for more food.

Sadly, the dwarf whose journal entries I was posting, perished in the flames trying to escape from the  makeshift shack the dwarves were living in. :(

Edit: Ahahaha! One of the funniest things I have ever seen! :D The caravan started making its laborious way across the dangerous terrain of the mountains, and my weary dwarves put aside their hunger pains to gather up their dead friends' clothes to trade.
But then, the caravan moved through the waterfall, and somehow the water swept all their gear right off their pack animals!
They were instantly swarmed by my starving dwarves, tearing fish apart raw and cramming it in their mouths. :o
Wow. Just wow... And here I was wondering if I'd have enough valuables to buy enough food! Hooray for the waterfall! :D

Another edit: This. Is. Hilarious.
I can't quite celebrate yet- My poor, long-suffering, hungry dwarves are chasing their food down the waterfall as it gets washed away from them! :P And there's one poor idiot chasing after the expedition leader as she hops down the stream after a cave fish. ::) Meanwhile, the merchants have set up shop in the depot, despite all their goods slowly washing downstream in the distance. Classic.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 10:07:07 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15935 on: August 30, 2011, 12:10:29 pm »

So I'm thinking, "Good idea to cut down some this wood, we'll need it for water wheels to power the pumpstack, but you know just after we had a goblin thief arrive maybe remove the woodcutting labour from that dwarf with a baby..." Snatcher! Protect the children! Right as I am looking at the dwarf a goblin appears next to it and now has the baby about five tiles away from the edge of the map, although with the mother between the goblin and the edge. I draft the mother into the military and order her to kill goblin thief. She immediately snaps into action, but the goblin runs for it, parrying attacks and counter striking, stabbing the mother in the chest. The goblin keeps parrying the attacks with its copper dagger, circling around the mother with only a few tiles now between it and freedom. The mother charges the goblin and the fall down together. The mother hacks at the goblin another two times, both parried, then the goblin counter strikes again, but this time missing. Then finally the mother manages to get through the goblins guard, and sends the goblins right arm, large copper dagger and giraffe leather glove sailing off in an arc. Without its dagger the goblin is now defenseless and the mother hacks its body, arms and legs apart until it bleeds out. She plucks her baby out of the dead goblins bag and cancels pick up equipment: equipment mismatch.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15936 on: August 30, 2011, 12:36:54 pm »

What do you get when a fort runs 31 years?

A 172mb gamelog file. Fuuuuuuuuuck.

I'm not sure but I think i'm seeing a slight FPS increase after deleting it.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15937 on: August 30, 2011, 01:19:58 pm »

I have 1888 forgotten beast meat portions, from six different beasts. There are more lurking below, if I want them. This accounts for 93% of my fort's food supply. My farms only produce crops for booze now.

I think I'm going to turn the 378 tallow into soap.

Funny thing is that once the beasts are butchered, you can't tell what meat came from what beast. It is real mystery meat.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15938 on: August 30, 2011, 01:53:42 pm »

My 2500+ large, serrated green glass discs are now installed in 240+ weapon traps, guarding my four underground tunnel entrances to Cilobar.  The goblins, trolls, ogres, and other metal haulers happily fill the halls with loot every year via vile forces of darkness.

I have determined that for a 3-wide hallway, 20 rows of traps deters/stops all incursions (observed to date).

Plans going forward are to work up a couple of legendary gem cutter/setters and blacksmiths for the adamantine statue garden of mind-wiping.

I didn't 'make bedrooms' out of any of the bedrooms I've made this time around, and the dwarves really don't seem to mind all that much.

also, i've learned to pick my Mayors entirely based on their likes.  Four likes or less?  Candidate.  You like iron, copper, lead, or silver?  You're in the queue for Mayor!  My current mayor?  Likes lead and green glass.  Ooooh yeah.

Oh, and I had a strange thing show up during the first major siege.  It was "Nuglush Zagstrokoggon Irgodum, law-giver"  A huge three-eyed marmot twisted into humanoid form.  It has a bloated body.  Its charcoal hair is patchy.  Beware its poisonous sting!  She is very muscular.  Ok, no big deal, except...

It walked through every trap in its path like it wasn't there, including cage traps.  Just strolled right in like it owned the place.  Adamantine War Hammers?  At best they bruise it.   I had to lock it in a bedroom, as my military couldn't kill it, and it would take 100+ pages of combat, but eventually, it could kill one of them in full adamantine armor.  I have never come across anything so difficult to kill before.  It can rot in its prison for all time, and I won't shed a tear.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15939 on: August 30, 2011, 02:00:02 pm »

I have 1888 forgotten beast meat portions, from six different beasts. There are more lurking below, if I want them. This accounts for 93% of my fort's food supply. My farms only produce crops for booze now.

I think I'm going to turn the 378 tallow into soap.

Funny thing is that once the beasts are butchered, you can't tell what meat came from what beast. It is real mystery meat.
And once ingestion syndromes are implemented, they'll be like real mystery meat that public schools serve: They'll leave you sick, in pain, and probably bleeding internally, but not quite enough to kill you.

I've built an outdoor(as in, the entire structure is above ground) prison to use for dwarven justice, executing captured goblins, and to serve as the training area for the fortress guard, as well as the quarters and office of the captain of the guard. The fortress guard, despite being armed with only copper maces, have been very effective at executing prisoners(which are dropped in from above).

However, a goblin thief tried to break in, possible to rescue her (long dead) kin. Unfortunately, for her, the front door is were the guards train, and most were on duty. The captain of the guard's husband, who, along with their elder son(the captain also was carrying a baby), serve in the guard, tackled the goblin to the ground, letting the rest of the squad wail on her. But, the little thief manage to get one lucky strike out on him, chipping the spine and bruising the nervous tissue. I had thought he might have been able to at least survive that, but then he suffocated. Right in front of his wife and children.

His son was "unhappy", but his wife the captain was "quite content". I might build a tomb for her and her family. I'm starting to imagine her to be like The Boss, who gave everything, including her life, lover, and child, for her country.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Mechatronic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15940 on: August 30, 2011, 02:51:06 pm »

vjek, that was a titan. Titans have the trapavoid tag, meaning they don't set off traps. Upright spike traps hooked up to a lever that a dwarf can pull repeatedly will hit them though. Adamantine warhammer are no good. Adamantine isn't dense enough for it to do much damage.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15941 on: August 30, 2011, 02:58:54 pm »

Once again, 31.24 mega-embark (all those worlds have 10k embark points). Picked a 6x6 area with a stream, can't remember the last time I've chose a site that large. Dammit, I already forgot whether the site was temperate or warm. I guess I'll find out come winter no. 1.

Fort plan: Above-ground.
City wall of whatever clay can be found.
Brick houses made of the same clay, with wooden block flooring and log roofing.
Dig down to stone, make blocks of it, and make street-style roads from the blocks.
20 rough clay farmers' huts, no floor, wood log roofing. Root cellar with 2x2 underground plant farm plot and farmer's workshop.
15 plant farmers. 10 growing Longland grass in spring-summer and rat weed in fall. 5 growing rope reeds in spring-summer-fall. All grow pig tails in fall and plump helmets in winter.
5 cattle farmers. 1 cow farmer, 1 horse farmer, 1 sheep farmer, 1 pig farmer, 1 land strider farmer. All have 5 hens and 1 rooster. Wooden fortifications will be used as a 'fence'.
A stone block Keep will be made with 6 levels. The first three are barracks for military. Lvl4 a (hopefully) Royal Dining Room for the aristocratic nobility, lvl5 a throne room, and lvl6 a bedroom with 10 chests. The Throne Room will have 10 armor stands and 10 weapon racks, 5 on each side.
A Tomb will be dug in a deep layer above the Caverns for the King. It will contain the Room Requirements for the monarch, as well as shitloads of gold, silver, platinum and aluminum crafts. Hell, his coffin is even going to be made of aluminum.
A Memorial Hall will be erected for the Monarch and Legendary military warriors.
Each 'normal' person gets a grave that looks like this:
Code: [Select]
~~~CS~~
~~~R_~~

~=Dirt, C=Channel, S=Memorial Slab (gravestone), R=Up ramp, _=dug out space
with the ramp being sealed off by a rough stone floor tile after burial.
Houses will be two levels, have the same floor dimensions as human houses in adventure mode, and have a basement accessed from the inside via a channel and a hatch. Top floor will be the bedroom with a few beds and chests, ground floor will be the family room with three tables and chairs. Basement will hold the family's militia weapons and shields.

Castes will be divided like this, from poorest to richest:
Farmers; cannot join the official military and lack education, but will form a basic militia.
Laborers (haulers, wall and house builders); cannot join the official military, but are somewhat educated and will form a militia.
Craftsmen; can join the official military and are educated, retire at age 140.
Townsmen; can join the official military and are well educated, no labors activated.
Soldiers; are in the official military and are very well educated, no labors activated, conscripted on 12th birthday, promoted to Mercenary at age 100.
Mercenaries; are in the official military and are very well educated, no labors activated, elite soldiers, promoted from Soldier, retire at age 145.
Nobility; will not join any military and are well educated, will not work or haul.

This is what I hope my fort will look like in 5 game years. Sorry for the long post.

Max176

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15942 on: August 30, 2011, 03:52:01 pm »

Oh, and I had a strange thing show up during the first major siege.  It was "Nuglush Zagstrokoggon Irgodum, law-giver"  A huge three-eyed marmot twisted into humanoid form.  It has a bloated body.  Its charcoal hair is patchy.  Beware its poisonous sting!  She is very muscular.  Ok, no big deal, except...

It walked through every trap in its path like it wasn't there, including cage traps.  Just strolled right in like it owned the place.  Adamantine War Hammers?  At best they bruise it.   I had to lock it in a bedroom, as my military couldn't kill it, and it would take 100+ pages of combat, but eventually, it could kill one of them in full adamantine armor.  I have never come across anything so difficult to kill before.  It can rot in its prison for all time, and I won't shed a tear.
That is the human law giver. The humans enjoy demon worship, the clean-shaven clown-worshippers.
I'm mining out and admixture every section of adamant ore I can get my easily on to alternation my armoursmith up to allegorical so he can accomplish actively alarming armour for my aggressive. again I'm traveling to do the aforementioned for weapons.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #15943 on: August 30, 2011, 04:13:47 pm »

Adamantine War Hammers?

But you are aware that adamantine blunt weapons are dwarven equivalent of pillows, right?
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Eктωρ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15944 on: August 30, 2011, 04:29:37 pm »

Just logged 400 trees for my human town. Yeah chop dem trees.
Ektor is in a constant state of internal rage
Pages: 1 ... 1061 1062 [1063] 1064 1065 ... 3842