Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6120045 times)

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #1590 on: March 05, 2010, 05:48:38 pm »

Reverting to an older save, as my current one is bugged out.  :( >:( And I'd just gotten a legendary metalcrafter, too. Ah well, nothing too much happened this season, aside from the aforementioned mood and a small invasion by thieves. I care little for thieves, traps will get them and I have enough cages for everybody.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: March 05, 2010, 07:12:31 pm »

An injured mechanic got a mood, grabbed a bit of stone, some metal, and tons of gems and made a nice artifact mechanism... and went back to bed.  One of his legs was mangled.  This was the same mechanic who abandoned her baby the minute she got a scratch.

Wing

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: March 05, 2010, 08:55:27 pm »

Right now I have a rather epic dorf shortage - migration has been extremely slow because of my extremely slow material wealth (I only just now, in my third year, got any non-essential production going.)

I recently lost the entirety of a migration wave that I'd trained into wrestlers because I forgot that they'd dive into the magma to fight the fire imps (I'm building my main entrance as a dramatic bridge structure that comes in over the magma pipe).

My only trading activity AT ALL due to my lack of production has been with the most recent elven caravan - when I just seized the whole thing.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 08:56:58 pm by Wing »

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: March 06, 2010, 12:43:57 am »

I finally figured out that my recruits where in different squads, got them in one squad. issued them chain mail only so they could train without killing each other, and one got in a mood.
I still havent figured out how to get roped dogs to the front door to stop the thieves, a goblin is half way down the stairs right now. No idea in the fricken world how to get someone to fight him.

I have to remove my dinning room once a week to stop the constant parties.
Just about ready to tap out of this game until the next version. Maybe the military will make some sense there and there will be some ability to use items you have made in some rational way.
All I want is one armed dwarf to stand in the fricken door to stop the stupid goblin thieves.

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: March 06, 2010, 01:05:28 am »

Hurray!
I got the two remaining dwarfs in my squad to go up to my store room level using M v s and they imedialty attacked the gobblin(I think, he is dead I was never told how he was killed.)
I know have them at the front door! just in their chain mail helm and sheild. But its a start.
Had to skip the nebies tutorial for this, the wiki was better.

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: March 06, 2010, 02:02:04 am »

Rocking now.. got the cages built to start harvesting my puppies.Even figured out how to b uild them and a ssign muts to them.
Got two war dogs at the door and the first squad wresting away beside them in my now functional baracks that seems to have been set up with one bed, I dropped the room, added it again and it works now.
I guess I have to figure out the well now.

DarkDragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: March 06, 2010, 02:58:43 am »

Rocking now.. got the cages built to start harvesting my puppies.Even figured out how to b uild them and a ssign muts to them.
Got two war dogs at the door and the first squad wresting away beside them in my now functional baracks that seems to have been set up with one bed, I dropped the room, added it again and it works now.
I guess I have to figure out the well now.

Good luck with the well.

In my first fort I flooded all of my farms and several tunnels of my fort before I figured out water pressure. Still get surprised by it.

It was fun draining the brook into that chasm as my "revenge" though. :D

My current fort:

Building a large tower with a hole in the center that I will use to drop goblin prisoners down, who will then splatter onto "Cosmosflower, the Adamantine Table", an artifact table that is constructed smack in the middle of my Queen's throne room.

Going to move the cage containing the Queen's "object of worship" (a titan that just so happened to come to my fort and get caught in a cage trap) to the throne room to witness the sacrifices.

Top level of the sacrificial tower will also contain a kimberlite tomb for my favorite champion (who likes Kimberlite) with an adamantine mural of a hammer in the floor, studded with gold.

Bodkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Hoondat Report
« Reply #1597 on: March 06, 2010, 10:09:45 am »

I just inadvertently discovered the exploit where deconstructing a trade depot with traders in it transfers possession of everything in it to you. I didn't want all those stonecraft flutes back, dammit! Take them!

Also, the new trade depot will be deep, deep underground in the most legendary Temple of Commerce that I can construct.
I have so far executed three dwarves by means of impalement ... for bringing cats into my fortress.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: March 06, 2010, 10:13:06 am »

I had an idea a while ago to make a real life fortress in DF, I'm going to start in a bit so has anyone got any suggestions for castles for me to try?
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1599 on: March 06, 2010, 10:28:34 am »

any of the Welsh ones are good.

http://www.castlewales.com/ is a good place to go to find some details, if you want to look at what is probably considered to be the finest, most unassailable castle ever (of the Welsh ones, not much experience with other countries), you should look at Beaumaris, a concentric, moated castle which was unfortunately never finished above the first/second floor.

Caernarfon is probably one of the best known as the Prince of Wales was crowned there (or whatever the ceremony was called), there are floor plans floating around somewhere.

I've always wondered about doing one meself, may give it a go at some stage.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: March 06, 2010, 10:32:52 am »

Well I'm probably going to do some minor modding (humans as civ race, little bit of changing in map gen).

Thanks Vicomt, I'll have a look.

If I can get a floor plan or something similar that would be awesome.
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: March 06, 2010, 10:36:48 am »

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #1602 on: March 06, 2010, 12:54:01 pm »

Ooooohh, I too plan to construct an above-ground fortress. Even made a complete design on a paper. It took me few days. But I am yet to come aorund with actually embarking on a proper site.

Currently I am playing in a very young world, starting age was 2. Purpose - as much megabeast visits as possible. Especially dragons.
Because you see, I am building an abowe-ground outpost entirely out of wood...
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

mrbobbyg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: March 06, 2010, 04:31:22 pm »

All you people with above ground wooden forts are dangerously close to showing elf sympathies...although I guess that's countered by the amount of trees you have to slaughter...=)

I just started over, and this time I smoothed all my magma plumbing.  It just looks so much nicer. 
!!Elves!! would actually be kinda cool as a civ symbol.  !!Clowns!!, however, you get the impression they're on fire of their own free, malicious, evil, will.

Also, much scarier if literally clowns.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: March 06, 2010, 04:40:09 pm »

continuing to build outposts lording over the human cities, but I just found a city in ruins. The buildings are missing walls and doors and floors in some places and also are completely devoid of humans...It's a carp infested map, so I think that may be to blame for the lack of humans, but how did the buildings get destroyed? Did they get attacked by a megabeast? I'm blaming it on the MegaZombieCarp and keeping a wary eye out for such a fiend.
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.
Pages: 1 ... 105 106 [107] 108 109 ... 3842