Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5972486 times)

Grif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #1575 on: March 05, 2010, 05:29:49 am »

made three dwarves a squad, assigned them chain, axes and shields. Now trying to figure out how to train them.

Do you have barracks?
Also, don't forget that when you draft a dwarf to the military the squad is by default "on duty" and will not train in the barracks/armory, you have to go to the military screen and set them to "standing down".

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1576 on: March 05, 2010, 06:12:53 am »

Are you saying you changed the name of the creature "Muskox" to "Human"? I assume your intent was to create and slaughter "human" slaves. You just had a Muskox born, with a different name on it.
I used civ changer and stole a muskox then use DC to change her into a human.
so far it lead to success on parts of adding her to the work force since I my goal was to get a female/male adventure into parenthood.
this might have came from the local roaming muskox pack 2 miles from the town I embarked in. so far I learn that one can't keep traits earn from birth from anything even animals... heh it would be 'fun'ny to have a once cat -> dwarf miner gives birth and now have to carry over 20 hybrid/babies due to her neighbor having a pet cat. but then I don't know if all those dwarfs be dwarfs or dwarfs that can be bred with cats leading to a dwarfplosion of fps killing proportions where one can't kill off any unless on spark a spouse induce tantrum spiral!
oh the muskox baby name is
should I rename her darius since it is my first birth using his util's? nah wait til I get the first adventure birth.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Papa Cauldur

• Bay Watcher
  • Eater of Yatagarasu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1577 on: March 05, 2010, 06:47:36 am »

I just struck Adamantite~

And I found magma~

Can't sleep, clowns will eat me.

Phil_Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1578 on: March 05, 2010, 07:05:23 am »

gunna try and start up a glassmaking operation.  this'll be difficult because I can't seem to find any coal-not that I've done a lot of exploratory mining.  There are quite a few trees, however.  I'm thinking of building a giant fountain that spurts water all over the map, because I can.  to be honest, I'm kinda bored in my current fort, I may abandon and gen a new world soon.  I never seem to get past the first couple of years on a map w/o running out of stuff to do-then again, I usually embark in happy zones, rather than evil ones.  I also can't seem to find a place with magma.
It's community is the natural side effect of a game being a masterpiece hiding behind the learning curve of a brick wall - trolls can't play DF long enough to find something to ridicule.
Toady One has created a masterpiece!

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1579 on: March 05, 2010, 11:28:49 am »

Undergrotto's 89z goblin drop sadly didn't bloody the 3x3 pool the bugger landed in. Maybe next time when I drop a lot more at once it'll work out better.

Took a video, too.
Doesn't there need to be some flow in the water for the blood to visibly spread? I'm sure it's bloody enough that nobody would drink from it.

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: March 05, 2010, 11:31:28 am »

made three dwarves a squad, assigned them chain, axes and shields. Now trying to figure out how to train them.

Do you have barracks?
Also, don't forget that when you draft a dwarf to the military the squad is by default "on duty" and will not train in the barracks/armory, you have to go to the military screen and set them to "standing down".

Thanks.
The goblin that snuck in was chased down by one of the armed dwarves that was with the visiting caravan. His body is just ouside my door with a large copper dagger. But no one has picked it up yet.
Do I have to un assign my squad from their beds and assign them to the beds in the baracks?

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: March 05, 2010, 11:33:06 am »

You need barracks un-assigned to anyone and a squad set to 'standing down'. That's all for sparring.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Izual6764

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: March 05, 2010, 11:37:47 am »

One of my starting seven died just now. I made a small, 15 z-level tall tower and on the highest level i wanted to make execution ledge. I just needed to make this one last floor... And when my planter was setting it up, it collapsed. He crushed through a roof I made, too. And this knocked out a gem cutter and broke his right arm, nothing special.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: March 05, 2010, 11:54:04 am »

Undergrotto's 89z goblin drop sadly didn't bloody the 3x3 pool the bugger landed in. Maybe next time when I drop a lot more at once it'll work out better.

Took a video, too.
Doesn't there need to be some flow in the water for the blood to visibly spread? I'm sure it's bloody enough that nobody would drink from it.

I guess so. Fortunately it doesn't make using the drop tower any less fun :D

Also, a crazy elf merchant has been standing around in my meeting area for the last two years. A while before I gave elves and humans the no eat/drink tags so the berserk caged ones wouldn't die, so this guy wasn't ever going to give up and starve or anything. So earlier today I finally gave in and made him part of my civ in DC. Then I gave him the nickname Tickles and the profession Cuddle Monster and chained him in my Baron's bedroom to keep him company since his wife died. I am more fond of elves than ever right now.

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #1584 on: March 05, 2010, 12:26:51 pm »

Well, my new (dig dwarfier) seems to be going well, even the early arrival of a bunch of orc wrestlers and axemen didn't faze my team :D..... admittedly, I already had a secure fortlet on top of the mountain, so they weren't getting in any time soon.
I couldn't kill them though, as I'd neglected to train any military (only my woodcutter is armed, apart from my pair of miners)

at least until I had the bright idea of opening a hole in my walls to bait them in, and building a rather large obsidian block floor over the outside of the hole. rigged up a support with lever attached (just in time), and dropped the lot of them in one fell swoop. yay!

still have a fuel problem though. the embark screen showed a magma pipe I haven't found yet, even though i've explored most of the bottom layer (finding and successfully walling off some rather Fun stuff). maybe it was just a pool.

The second floor to the fortress is my weekend project, and I hope to have my dozen or so dwarfs happily ensconced in their obsidian block built rooms shortly.

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: March 05, 2010, 12:38:10 pm »

just began a semi-mega project. I'm going around to each human town and building a dwarven outpost to lord over them. Nothing fantastic, but it's going to be quantity over quality I think. Also, the current outpost doesn't have magma :(  . The hardest thing about the whole ordeal is resisting the temptation to completely wipe the humans off the face of the map XD .

EDIT: Also, apparently the powers that be are pissed off at the elves cus as soon as they arrived in my depot my cook got possessed to make a wooden artifact. I took this as sanction from the gods to steal their stuff and murder/torture them.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 12:55:50 pm by silverskull39 »
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Mortesphere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: March 05, 2010, 01:53:05 pm »

A scooby-doo esque chase, involving a berserking wood cutter, a dozen or so horses, and a few dwarves.

Grif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1587 on: March 05, 2010, 01:57:39 pm »

Thanks.
The goblin that snuck in was chased down by one of the armed dwarves that was with the visiting caravan. His body is just ouside my door with a large copper dagger. But no one has picked it up yet.
Do I have to un assign my squad from their beds and assign them to the beds in the baracks?

On the military screen > squad orders where you set them to "on duty" or "standing down" you also have a choice to "sleep in barracks" or "sleep in own room/bed", just choose whatever you prefer. AS for the barracks, designate barracks from a weapon rack or armor stand and don't set it to anyone and your dwarves will train there UNLESS they are marksdwarfs, if so you need to build an archery target and then define a room from it.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #1588 on: March 05, 2010, 03:14:33 pm »

Hmmm, been thinking to do a topic like this meself.
There were few happenings that led me to this idea, all in the same fort (which I have not touched for quite some days now due to some other thinkgs)
So.
This fort possesses a drawbridge at the entrance. Underneath there is a migrants starvation chamber with a single doored entrance. Among others a horse and a cow came with some migrants and become "traped" with the fresh recruits stationed there. After migrants died, animals remained in the chamber. So one day a kobold thief opens a door to this chamber...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Another proof:

And for the FUN stuff:
I finaly stumble upon the PIT.
"Fine" I say, "Lets wall it off and let those buggers sta--"
*paused* "Horrors! Demons of the deep!" *unpaused*
"Oh now that was qui--"
*paused* "Horrors! Demons of the deep!"
"Uhhh, a wall, yes, wall.." *unpaused*
"Damn! You, legendary miner over there! Become a recruit! *unpaused*
"Wait, didn't I have some odd 20 champions stationed at the front gates? Station at the pit! *unpaused*
"Oh shi-- my legendary mason is trying to construct that wall! You, get out of there!" *unpaused*
"Shave me bald and call me an Elf, WHY are YOU trying to put that stone on the stockpile when there are OHGODSTENTACLEDEMONS on the path between you and that stone??!!" *unpaused*
"Oooohhh snap, where by the Armok is that military?!!" *unpaused*
*paused* "Horrors! Demons of the deep!" *unpaused* ...

I lost few good dwarfes like one legendary mason, legendary miner, legendary carpenter...Apart from the constant "Horrors!..." message and it companions I was greeted by a horde of insane peasants, elves and human civilians fleeing from the accursed chambers, severely droping my fps...
But appart from eminent tantrum spiral which costed me some additional most of them useless woodcrafts and soapmakers, I pulled out. At the end of the massacre, I counted 33 demon corpses
They...they just keept coming... O.o

But now I am wiser for one additional fact:

Tantrum spirals are EXCELENT to train your masons in making coffins and your engravers to smoth/engrave tombs.
I must have more tantrum spirals.
Oooh yesss, mooooorreeee...
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: March 05, 2010, 05:09:31 pm »

I feel bad cause this isn't a question thread, but thanks for the help everyone.
Pages: 1 ... 104 105 [106] 107 108 ... 3839