Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1045 1046 [1047] 1048 1049 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094672 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #15690 on: August 21, 2011, 06:13:19 am »

Things are finally starting to come together for the 'Bridge of Love'. I've plugged the hole in the bottom of the sea, and the ocean is filling in again (spectacular). Suddenly, loads of trees started to grow, so my wooden road looks like it might finally be completed. Once that's done, I'll tidy up, finish the handful of buildings I made, deconstruct everything and then instruct my dwarves to sod off back to the mountainhomes.

"Hey, Urist, look! There is a hole down there after all! You owe me ten socks!"
"...What?! Oh, damnit."
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Enigma

• Bay Watcher
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #15691 on: August 21, 2011, 09:27:48 am »

"This is a forgotten beast leather short skirt. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is decorated with cacao wood and encircled with bands of clear zircon and granite. This object menaces with spikes of llama wool. On the item is an image of a mussel in forgotten beast leather. On the item is an image of Tirist Murderfloor the dwarf and dwarves in clear zircon. Tirist Murderfloor is surrounded by the dwarves. The artwork relates to the ascension of the dwarf Tirist Murderfloor to the position of queen of The Nourishing Merchant in 192."

First off; why make a short skirt on A GODDAMN GLACIER. Second, why does the skirt "menace with spikes"? Third, how the hell do you make spikes out of llama wool anyway, and how in any way are they menacing? Fourth; WHY CAN'T YOU MAKE A USEFUL ARTIFACT FOR ONCE DID THAT CROSSBOW REMOVE ALL OF YOUR USEFULNESS FOR ETERNITY HUH HUH HUH?!
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that... he's gone.

A Spoony Bard

• Bay Watcher
  • [MANNERISM:lute]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15692 on: August 21, 2011, 09:59:09 am »

Recently, my fort, Skunkflares, nearly died out due to lack of Plump Helmet Spawn (I suspect some dwarf ate all of the seeds) and therefore lack of drinks. It managed to survive for about a month off of foraged plants. Luckily, this happened in the spring, so the elven caravan arrive right as ever dwarf was discovering there was no booze. We seized 15000 DBs of goods from them.
The fortress is no longer going hungry to say the least.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15693 on: August 21, 2011, 10:19:34 am »

Lost a weaver to a fey mood; why is it that every mood nowadays demands wool cloth when that's the only type of cloth I don't have?

On another note, nearly lost my entire fortress to lack of drink. I left brewing on repeat and the stupid clunch who is my brewer decided to go do... something for a full goddamn year. He had no other labours... what was he doing, juggling? Sheesh.

I'd magma him except I really need booze. As it is, I lost a good six or eight dwarves to thirst, so my fortress might still burn in the fires of a tantrum spiral.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #15694 on: August 21, 2011, 10:51:01 am »

Rinsebronze just lost its last remaining founder, 22 years into its history. She was a legendary mason and captain of the guard, and succumbed to infection after winning a fight with a naked moledog. I didn't even know she was ill; she didn't ask for any treatment. Damn.

(None of the other founders lasted five years, mainly due to a massive tantrum spiral.)

Dbuhos

• Bay Watcher
  • Carbon Strain
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #15695 on: August 21, 2011, 11:23:54 am »

I was greedy and dug too deep with no weapons.
I got attacked by a giant back that tore apart most of my 7 starting dwarves. Currently in the worse condition is Sebastian, who along with other major wounds, got his right leg ripped off, he is currently resting under a tree, in Pale condition.
Just to make matters worse an Elk Bird came too, but some lucky recruit took care of it.

Currently digging out a King Tomb for Sebastian, for he was the leader. :C

May he will live. Maybe... :'(

phatkarp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15696 on: August 21, 2011, 01:35:42 pm »

Oiltrammels beat the heck out of a goblin siege, capturing almost two dozen goblins in cage traps.  So I built a goblin-meat training complex for my rookie battledwarves.  Fun!

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15697 on: August 21, 2011, 01:43:01 pm »

The calm in Divine Tower ended quite quickly.

A necessary wood-cutting expedition left the west access tunnel.  About as soon as they started to work a vile force of darkness appeared.  Which included a spear squad nearly on top of the woodcutters.  Three of the six properly fled *into* the tunnel.  The other three decided that they could outrun goblins amidst the trees and bamboo.  The goblin Axe Lord promptly proved two of them wrong.  And a spear goblin ran down the third.

After that point the spear goblin squad, a troll squad, and an pike squad on the far side of the perimeter trooped down into the access tunnels and found gory fun.  Grinder traps* with sniper ports overlooking them manned by an elite marksdwarf squad.  And retreating goblins found the entrance drawbridges closed leaving no escape from a vengeful militia that came out to sweep up.

At the same time an experiment letting animals loose to scout in the caverns came rapidly to an end.  Two war dogs, two cavy pups, and two pea chicks were let out of the FB trap zone entrance.  Apparently this rang the dinner bell since three FBs promptly turned up and ripped them to shreds.  However, they then stayed around and decided to destroy some conveniently available stone doors.  Which led to drawbridges closing and three FB being sealed in and spiked to bits - including the known FB with deadly blood and one that leaves dangerous secretions - which made the war dogs leak pus.  The area will have to be abandoned now, or get a magma bath to clear the contamination.

:o  And a 6th FB just set fire to the cavern incinerating attempting to incinerate a pea chick.  Which caused more cavern to be exposed - including another spire of spoilerite.  Praise the miners!   ::)  The pea chick is somehow outrunning a FB, and has been bathed in flames twice without showing injury on the Health screen.  Must be an asbestos feathers special breed.  In any case I am getting a whole section of the cavern mapped out as a result of this.

* - The outward hatches on the grinder are guarded by upright spear traps and in line-of-sight of the marksdwarf position.  The trolls that cleared the first 2-3 weapon traps got finished off by the spikes or well-aimed bolts.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 03:10:48 pm by Oaktree »
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

betasoldier

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15698 on: August 21, 2011, 04:19:16 pm »

My 2nd post on the forums but I've read for a year or so. Played DF off and on for a little more than that time.

The dwarves of Cudgelcross have gone through hell recently. The first 3 years of the fort saw the founding, set up, discovery of 3 caverns, and the catching of several goblin snatchers. One dwarf went insane after failing to get silk cloth(the only type I didn't have access too) and bit my militia commander's hand before being bludgeoned to death by war hammers (The name's Cudgelcross, how could I not mainly use war hammers?). The population even reached 96 and a mayor was elected!! The 4th year however, started off with the discovery of the magma sea and promptly the death of one of the original 7, a legendary miner. He will be missed deeply but no tantrum spiral or depression thankfully.

Then, oh the goblins and forgotten beasts. 2 ambushes were fought off with 5 losses from dwarves who chose to not pick up their iron and steal armor in time, followed by a giant worm forgotten beast that bit off the limbs and head of one dwarf then bit my militia commander and most experienced dwarf in half before eventually succumbing to a crossbow bolt to the brain after all of its shell had been bludgeoned through war hammers. And biting. After subduing the crazy biting dwarf all of my military seems to love biting things.

This was followed by a goblin siege during which a forgotten beast made of flame ascended through the caverns. It was my first experience with such a beast, and though it died easily it burned half of my military so badly they succumbed to blood loss immediately after killing it. After refilling my ranks with draftees the gates were opened to let the goblins into my fort to face my dwarves and the giant jaguar chained up just inside the front gate. They quickly fell by slaughtered the inexperienced dwarves. Immediately after getting the last of the goblinite inside another ambush hit that left me with 2 hammer dwarfs, 2 marksdwarfs and a giant leopard. Literally as the last goblin of that ran off the map ANOTHER ambush hit, but this time they were already inside my front door. A hammer dwarf and both marksdwarfs were already back drinking, my militia commander was on the floor unconscious with a broken leg, next to the jaguar, awaiting retrieval. The jaguar tried in vain to protect her against so many goblins, but after biting the leg off of one they had surrounded the jaguar and beaten her to a pulp. The goblins immediately began to attack the militia commander in her head while my hammerdwarf and the marksdwarf commander ran into the fray.

All 3 of those dwarfs and that jaguar are heroes. The militia commander suffered 74 PAGES of attacks deflecting off of her bismuth bronze helm and only suffered slight bruising that healed by the end of the fight. (She stayed unconcious the entire time). Thankfully I had given my marksdwarfs plenty of metal armor as well as he went into battle with his crossbow swinging, then chuck norrised kicked a goblin 3 times in the face knocking out 3 teeth. The hammerdwarf left over however. He is now named Sodel Okollikot Limullisig Stul*Sodel Voiceinks the Golden Berry of the Maws*. He waded in, blocking and dodging attacks, biting, crushing limbs, shoulders, and skulls in a blind fury. Sodel and his steel warhammer and teeth demolished the goblin attack only leaving time for one to attempt to run, but with an ankle jammed into the rest of his leg he was kind of slow.

To sum it up. I. Love. This. Game.

Is the special long name because of his notable kills in combat? Because before I just remember him being named Sodel Okollikot.

EDIT: Ah, the name is an epithet, I get it, found it. Still awesome.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 04:34:18 pm by betasoldier »

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15699 on: August 21, 2011, 04:22:41 pm »

The 9th forgotten beast arrived in the caverns at my arctic fort. 4 of the FBs are isolated in small walled-off areas in the first cavern, but the second and third caverns belong to the wildlife.

The 9th beast is a quadruped made of Borax. Too bad I can't grind it up and use it to wash laundry.

EDIT: 10th beast arrived - a mite with deadly blood. This could be useful.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 04:39:31 pm by Urist Da Vinci »

MonsteR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15700 on: August 21, 2011, 04:37:20 pm »

I just survived my first ever goblin siege. They killed my poor Captain of the Guard though :(

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15701 on: August 21, 2011, 05:00:59 pm »

Went back to vanilla DF. DFA just has too much stuff that kinda trivializes the experience. Training dummies that can get a dwarf to Legendary in a year, untrained pets that can kill FBs, absurdly powerful/valuable metals available in too high a quantity. *Shrug*

First siege of the fort after... four years I think? It was only a single squad of sword-gobbos, so they were handily mopped up with no casualties. Though, due to the scarcity of weapon/armor-quality metals in the fort (only Silver, for hammers and maces), I did get a fair number of injuries and one guy lost his hand. He's now attempting to wield his ¤Bronze Mace¤ and shield in the same hand.

Dug down to reach the magma sea. Found three veins of you-know-what conveniently close to where I dug down, but I have no way of knowing which (if any!) lead to you-know-where. Well, I'm sure Dwarves are already quite used to playing games like Russian Roulette. I'm planning to set up an 'outpost' in the third cavern layer to support the squads I intend to station down there, just in case.

DwarfOfDefeat

• Bay Watcher
  • Reproduces through Mitosis
    • View Profile
« Reply #15702 on: August 21, 2011, 05:22:11 pm »

I started a fort trying to do some challenge someone posted about living in a cavern.
the cavern didnt spawn and 4 tiles away from my dwarves was this...

A huge camel twisted into humanoid form composed of black opal.it squirms and fidgets. beware its webs.

Urist Mcdwarf: we made it to the prom-

i forver hat camels now...
"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elder berries!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15703 on: August 21, 2011, 05:49:35 pm »

Well, my last dwarf didn't get her lazy arse up to the depot in time, so she'll have to make her own food.
And I have a legion of dogs, they mostly hang around the meeting area shredding rhesus maqauqes and recently a werewolf. :o
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15704 on: August 21, 2011, 05:51:51 pm »

I'm basing my new fort out of a cave on a Good Glacier, I didn't anticipate how many Gorlaks there would be. I had no military dwarves or armor so to avoid any ridiculous lucky shots I decided to take a more subtle approach. This being dwarf fortress "subtle" means throwing crocodiles down into the caverns, waiting for them to murder whatever happened to be down there and repeating on the next z level. I did this till I hit the last layer of the cavern, sent men with picks and axes in to finish the job and I felt a horrible sense of shame. Gorlaks are tiny little pudgy guys who want to make friends and give helpful advice and here I am throwing murder beasts at them and bludgeoning them to death with tools when their trapped cowering in corners with their families and dozens of what I can only assume are their pet rabbits. Yes it's true brothers, it never even struck me to do the dorfy thing and slowly fill the bottom layer with water until they all drowned. I am so embarrassed at this missed opportunity. 
Pages: 1 ... 1045 1046 [1047] 1048 1049 ... 3842