Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1043 1044 [1045] 1046 1047 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6094292 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #15660 on: August 19, 2011, 09:02:10 pm »

My latest embark has no cotton candy but is just buzzing with aggressive wildlife. I had my commander ,a legendary axedwarf in full red steel armor, help some new guys cut their teeth on some cows. One kicked him in the foot before he decapitated it and sent him to the hospital. Because my healthcare system is so poorly laid out and I have no surgical staff whatsoever I assigned "surgery" to the nearest dwarf who wasn't busy. After this stranger to preform surgery on the only trader, book keeper, and competent fighter in my fort  he went to the bed next to him and went to sleep.

I just let a homeless man preform delicate surgery.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15661 on: August 19, 2011, 09:36:17 pm »

One injury suffered by a macedwarf while disposing of a goblin snatcher. The dwarf smashed the leg of the goblin off, then the other, then his shot was blocked. D: Goblin counterstrikes: cutting his upper leg and severing nerves. This macedwarf is now a lifelong cripple from one minor mistake. D:

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #15662 on: August 19, 2011, 10:07:59 pm »

A goblin ambush decloaked right next to my Mechanic mother of two- fortunately, this was also right next to Meng Mineplaited, off-duty Swordsdwarf. Springing into action, he interposed himself between the mechanic and the squad of hammers (and their archer leader) and proceeded to kick prodigious amounts of ass. After a LONG, dodge filled, martial trance fueled fight, reinforcements arrived.

In that time Meng killed three goblins while suffering a wide assortment of cuts and bruises, a broken arm, a fractured wrist, and an arrow to the thigh. He was quickly taken to the hospital, where thanks to the Good Doctor he looks to make a full recovery. The Mechanic escaped unscathed- the Bowgoblin took a shot at her, but a random Presser was kind enough to take the arrow for her. He ran back to the hospital with blood spurting from his chest, collapsed on a bed, and died of blood loss before the Doctor arrived.

On the other side of the map, a squad of Bowgoblins decloaked right on top of a Talented Swordsdwarf, the militia captain of my other Sword squad, fully equipped in steel armor with a masterwork steel shortsword. He shattered a goblins kneecap on the first turn, missed another goblin on his second turn, dodged an arrow, dodged another arrow, and fell into a murky pool. He then proceeded to keep the goblins shooting at him by blocking most of their arrows with his shield- he drowned as the rest of his squad arrived.

All in all, the military is looking worse for wear, and could use an infusion of fresh blood. Half of my military is in 2-dwarf squads- I just promoted Meng to fill the vacancy in The Competitive Irons. Interestingly, the Axedorf squads are only missing 1 between the two of them (4 being the regulation squad size.) Next ambush they will be the first to be deployed, in an attempt to see whether their success is due to superior weaponry or inferior speed.

More excitingly, I have just ordered the sewers flooded for the first time. This isn't going to be a permanent flooding, it is merely to fill the Hospital cistern, but it serves as a good dry run- or should I say, wet run! I am deeply sorry for that.

My miner is still hospitalized- he's actually been in traction for some time now. I'm not sure if that's how traction works, or if he is just being neglected in favor of Meng, Hero of Drunkensteels. Actually, as I write this I see the Mayor/CMD is partying away in the root cellar. I know it's campaign season, Rakust, but you are urgently needed in the hospital. If they die I'm putting statues of cave spiders all over the room you don't have.

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15663 on: August 19, 2011, 10:14:56 pm »

Update: Got the anger situation under control for now. Lots of bedrooms, engravings, got a decent cook in the last migrant wave. Found out that building a simple mist generator was simpler than I thought. Another month or two of pump operating and I think I'll be able to reactivate the squad.

But sheesh, that low-skill-growth bit turns Warrior dwarves into ticking time bombs, I tell you. o_o

The main issue now is that the moment I build some prisons, the Speardwarf is going to serve four hundred and two days for his two murders.

Scraggletag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15664 on: August 19, 2011, 10:30:56 pm »

Previous Post

Lushmines is doing rather well. Better than could be expected, considering how it all started.

I forgot to take notes last time, so I'm posting this from memory (and the few screenshots I grabbed).

Lets see, I dug past the first cavern (and only) cavern, searching for stone that wasn't brown. As I suspected, the way my central staircase intersected the cavern made it exceptionally easy to wall off. I'll explore the caverns more when I'm better prepared to do so.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Beneath the caverns I found granite. Dark grey is marginally better than brown, and granite is a very dwarfy stone, but I kept going. Next was phyllite, light grey didn't please me either. After that was quartzite, which is a nice bright white.

After digging into the quartize a little ways, I hit warm stone at -30z. From the way my miner found the warm stone, it looked as if I was about to hit magma from above, rather than intersecting one of the sides. I channelled out the stone a little to the side of the main stairs and hit the great magma sea. Hooray for magma.

I immediately floored over the open channels and started planning my forge area. Granted, there are no metals on this map, but I'll be able to melt any goblinite when the bastards return. The second soil layer is black sand so I also set up some glass furnaces. A mix of Green and white should make a pretty aesthetically pleasing fortress, eventually.

Stākud, the all around competent smith turned axedwarf, got in a strange mood. It was a possession, sadly. Stākud likes shortswords. The only metals I have are imported steel, iron and pig iron. Thankfully, he grabbed the right one.

Now, if you remember, I had originally set up a squad of swordsdwarves which latter got split into two squads with axes and hammers. The reason I went with swords at first was because I had an immigrant, Unib Kabzasit, who had decent physical stats and was a skilled swordsdwarf. I figured he could help teach the new recruits. Well, with a new shiny shortsword in our possession, I decided to reinstate Unib as a swordsdwarf. I'll probably give him his own squad next time I get migrants.

Then I noticed something odd. Anybody care to guess what "Kabzasit" translates as?
Sometimes I think the RNG is just screwing with me...

Next post
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 01:02:35 pm by Scraggletag »

Aeon Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15665 on: August 19, 2011, 10:38:27 pm »

I built my first above ground fort-city, Appletown. (There are no apples in Appletown.) I am sure it's not much to DF veterans, but I am immensely proud of it. So proud, I took a picture in Stonesense and labeled it so I can admire it on my desktop:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/Kafeid/appletownWP.png

The main road is made from gold and electrum, painstakingly traded over the years. The main material used to build was clay. I embarked on an aquifer so I wouldn't be tempted to go deeper than two levels (and hardly used that much). It turns out that if you don't dig, you don't get very many artifacts or seiges. For the first ten years of the fort, I think I had maybe 3 artifacts made. I don't know if at this point I'm going to work on spoiling my dwarves silly or starting a new fort.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #15666 on: August 19, 2011, 10:53:56 pm »

I built my first above ground fort-city, Appletown. (There are no apples in Appletown.) I am sure it's not much to DF veterans, but I am immensely proud of it. So proud, I took a picture in Stonesense and labeled it so I can admire it on my desktop:

The main road is made from gold and electrum, painstakingly traded over the years. The main material used to build was clay. I embarked on an aquifer so I wouldn't be tempted to go deeper than two levels (and hardly used that much). It turns out that if you don't dig, you don't get very many artifacts or seiges. For the first ten years of the fort, I think I had maybe 3 artifacts made. I don't know if at this point I'm going to work on spoiling my dwarves silly or starting a new fort.

Nice city! My current aboveground fort has no aquifer, I just have a pit mine off in the corner. I'm debating whether an underworld necropolis is against the spirit of my challenge.

And yes, strange moods are connected to the number of squares you've dug out. You can check it out at the wiki if you don't mind some very minor spoilers. The lack of sieges is probably related to the lack of artifacts, since you don't have that additional wealth.

If I were in your shoes, I'd go off a ways from the main fort and try breaching the aquifer- partly for aquifer breaching practice, but mostly to get at the caverns and see what assortment of FB's is waiting for you.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #15667 on: August 19, 2011, 11:17:17 pm »

Finally got my farm set up, and awaiting my third wave of immigrints to add to my hauling force :P

Scraggletag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15668 on: August 19, 2011, 11:38:55 pm »

I know it's campaign season, Rakust, but you are urgently needed in the hospital. If they die I'm putting statues of cave spiders all over the room you don't have.

Thank you, monk12. This was particularly hilarious to me for some reason.

That is quite a nice city!

I think I'm going to try a no-digging fort after Lushmines is done. Most of the challenge here is gone now that we're through the aquifer. Perhaps even a zero point embark wooden fortress in a swamp. Yes.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #15669 on: August 19, 2011, 11:40:50 pm »

...god dammit.

The floor of my hospital is the surface. I roofed over it, and then dug my channel for the well. I assumed this would mean that the channeled tile would be subterranean, and therefore freeze-proof, but it appears I was wrong. Now my well is frozen, and I will have to redesign my cistern- a tricky prospect when I just filled it. Somewhat distressingly (to me, not the dwarves anyway) is the implication that my aboveground fort is freezing all winter, even inside- only the dwarves hauling things to the basement are warm. They obviously don't care, but it is weird.

The frozen well would be a problem if my Miner was still incapacitated. However, when I anxiously checked his status upon my discovery of the frozen well, I found that he was fully healed, just stuck in traction. Removing the traction bench freed him, and he immediately ran off to the booze stockpile. Hooray!

My blacksmith got moody and made an artifact iron anvil worth 32k dorfbucks. I already have 3 more anvils than I need, but hey, an artifact is an artifact. At least it isn't a silk thong.

The wildlife has been quiet in Drunkensteels. I haven't seen so much as a harpy, and there hasn't been anything more than thieves since Meng's heroic action. More importantly, I just realized I have not seen a single cavern creature. At all. I suspect this is a bug concerning the fact I am reclaiming, as when I breached the cavern on my initial colonization a Reacher nearly killed my miner. Still, an absence of expected FUN.

I am reminded of the quiescence of the caverns because I just dealt with a Forgotten Beast. Reb, a huge humanoid composed of clear zircon. Beware its poisonous vapors! My steel weaponry dealt with the beast handily, but I would have done well to heed the warning. Not half a dozen steps after the battle, six soldiers who had been covered in the vapors fell over paralyzed, and quickly suffocated. Meng, my Militia Commander, and a couple other talented soldiers survived, but I've had to disband two decimated squads until such time as I get migrants.

Hopefully the infection does not spread- I have not yet rigged a magma cleansing system.

Aeon Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15670 on: August 19, 2011, 11:49:29 pm »

Nice city! My current aboveground fort has no aquifer, I just have a pit mine off in the corner. I'm debating whether an underworld necropolis is against the spirit of my challenge.

And yes, strange moods are connected to the number of squares you've dug out. You can check it out at the wiki if you don't mind some very minor spoilers. The lack of sieges is probably related to the lack of artifacts, since you don't have that additional wealth.

If I were in your shoes, I'd go off a ways from the main fort and try breaching the aquifer- partly for aquifer breaching practice, but mostly to get at the caverns and see what assortment of FB's is waiting for you.

Thanks! I could use the aquifer breaching practice. I've tried maybe 20 times to breach one and only succeeded the last time, but it took so much effort I gave up directly afterward. I think an aboveground waterfall system would be a good finishing touch.

What if you built an elaborate 'church' above-ground and confined the necropolis to it's dimensions one layer below, as a sort of basement? I think basements aren't breaking the spirits of things, as long as they aren't larger or deeper than a normal basement and used in the same fashion, such as for food storage. I have a larder under the kitchen, but kept everything else in warehouses above ground.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #15671 on: August 20, 2011, 12:15:53 am »

-snip-

Thanks! I could use the aquifer breaching practice. I've tried maybe 20 times to breach one and only succeeded the last time, but it took so much effort I gave up directly afterward. I think an aboveground waterfall system would be a good finishing touch.

What if you built an elaborate 'church' above-ground and confined the necropolis to it's dimensions one layer below, as a sort of basement? I think basements aren't breaking the spirits of things, as long as they aren't larger or deeper than a normal basement and used in the same fashion, such as for food storage. I have a larder under the kitchen, but kept everything else in warehouses above ground.

Playing with water is always fun, and aquifers are cool since you can drain back into them- makes it nice and neat, and easy on your FPS. I have yet to successfully breach an aquifer- the closest I came I found out I didn't have enough surface soil to breach it, and I was too impatient to try other methods.

I've been using basements beneath each planned building site to help mark my place, provide crude temporary housing (going on 2 years temporary, not counting my first colonization attempt) and ultimately serve as stockpile space. I was originally going to put my peasants graveyard beneath the hospital, but due to design flaws I'm going to have to redesignate that space.

I like the idea of the dedicated church/necropolis, though. I think I'll put a nice statue garden on the ground floor, with elaborate nobles tombs above and mass graves below- maybe make a statue the focus of each floor, with the added bonus that dwarves will visit the dead if it is in a statue garden. It'll also give me an excuse to make a building that doesn't look like a square :P

I think that's what I'll do tomorrow- start beautifying Drunkensteels.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #15672 on: August 20, 2011, 12:47:47 am »

WELP, that third migrant wave just came with more than 15 dwarves and promptly began dumping stone. Also, a legendary armor smith came whos only other skill was proficient at comedian. . .I like to think that she took a bet to make some armor and found out she had a talent.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15673 on: August 20, 2011, 01:08:04 am »

Once again in Sirabingish I'm going towards the first caravan and my second wave of immigrants. This time around I have managed to not only make around thirty mechanisms for starting to build a security system, but I have also found a large deposit of cassiterite (a name that Firefox wants to correct to scriptwriter) so I should be able to make some bronze before I even find the deposits of malachite and tetrahedrite that are nestled within the layers of marble and I think either diorite or granite. I forget which one is which but I know the marble will have malachite somewhere.

Apparently though my miner Monom is a little 51/50. Earlier in the Summer he and Expedition Leader Vabok were digging out some channels for an indoor farm on which to grow fisher berries and rope reeds, and guess what happened? As they get to a certain point Monom cuts Vabok off and stands on a particularly dangerous ledge, then channels out a space next to it. This of course causes a cave-in in which Monom is stunned while Vabok is knocked unconscious.

The kicker? This happened twice with the same bloody spot they were channeling, and this was after Vabok/I had decided to do something dwarfy and channel out only the edge of another part that was originally going to be a farm. The end result was a cave-in involving a chalk boulder dropping through two stories and smashing a mechanic's workshop. No injuries but I laughed my ass off.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15674 on: August 20, 2011, 01:57:37 am »

My arctic fort now has 6 forgotten beasts in the caverns, and only copper equipment with 3 bars of steel. I'll have to get a few more shipments from the dwarven caravan before I can sweep the deep.

Operation "bear bait" has begun. A barrel of dwarven ale was placed on the glacier, with a cage trap blocking the only access. I've caught 1 polar bear already. Soon there will be a war polar bear army.
Pages: 1 ... 1043 1044 [1045] 1046 1047 ... 3842