Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1041 1042 [1043] 1044 1045 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6093730 times)

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #15630 on: August 19, 2011, 09:03:55 am »

I've had two prisoners die of thirst because they got blamed for not making anything out of toad leather and got sentenced to 101 days, and people stopped giving them water. One of them was a mother, and the baby died of thirst soon after.
Always put a drink pile near the prison-chains. Within reach of the prisoner. :P
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15631 on: August 19, 2011, 10:02:55 am »

In the middle of the doctors sleep in the community dorm, which is undergoing renovations for engraving, a dwarf walks in and begins to engrave the wall above his sleeping head, afew hours later an engraving is made. It's a masterfully designed drawing of the doctor. I assigned the doctor that bed specificaly just because of that.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15632 on: August 19, 2011, 10:25:28 am »

Frantically searching for some sort of metal to turn into a bar for my weaponsmith.

Hit the caverns, there's a bit of sphalerite there... maybe I'll just smith that down. A zinc weapon is better than nothing, especially since I'll get a legendary weaponsmith out of it.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15633 on: August 19, 2011, 10:41:04 am »

In the middle of the doctors sleep in the community dorm, which is undergoing renovations for engraving, a dwarf walks in and begins to engrave the wall above his sleeping head, afew hours later an engraving is made. It's a masterfully designed drawing of the doctor. I assigned the doctor that bed specificaly just because of that.
Would be hilarious if the engraving was of the doctor in the exact mirror of how the doctor slept. But then with it's eyes open.

Urist McDoctor has suffered a minor heart attack upon waking up lately.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

igmas

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15634 on: August 19, 2011, 10:51:04 am »

At least mountain goat horn can actually be obtained. My countess has a fondness for toad leather. I can't even get that from the caravans, which routinely show up loaded with firefly brains.

I've had two prisoners die of thirst because they got blamed for not making anything out of toad leather and got sentenced to 101 days, and people stopped giving them water. One of them was a mother, and the baby died of thirst soon after.

My Count decided to inprison a pregnante dwarf, she died of thirst altough she had food and water in her prison cell(The reason why she didn't drink or eat was that she couldn't find her baby). She was my only metalsmith and her other child died shortly after of thirst . :(

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15635 on: August 19, 2011, 11:33:56 am »

"The brilliance of Dwarf Fortress."
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15636 on: August 19, 2011, 12:04:12 pm »

Inspired by Scraggletag's 0-point desert embark, I've decided to try one of my own.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think this might be a bit of an issue. At least I might have a chance to live so long as my dwarves stay the hell away from it.

EDIT: It immediately blitzed me so I runesmithed it to death.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 12:09:30 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15637 on: August 19, 2011, 01:32:11 pm »

I thought I might start getting tired of doing these tournaments in my fort but they're getting more fun each time.

Quick rundown, I used Runesmith to pit my dwarves against each other in tournaments to determine the top dwarves of each weapontype (on a copy, not the one I play) and the winners of each tournament get put into my Elite Squad 1 with the runner-ups being put into Elite Squad 2. Elite squad dwarves get to use adamantine equipment that is passed down to the winning (or losing) dwarves and are responsible for defending the fort against megabeasts and forgotten beasts.

Afterwards for fun I pit the champions against each other in a tournament of champions. Purely for my own entertainment, the winner doesnt get anything.

Results of the weapontype tournaments:

Spoiler: Main Tourny (click to show/hide)

Tournament of Champions results:

Spoiler: Champion Tourny (click to show/hide)

The first tournament 8 years ago was basically the 10 vastly more experienced dwarves kicking everyones ass. The second one 4 years ago was more of the same but not quite as much. The experience gap as they both train appears to be less of a factor as this is the first time dwarves outside the 10 veterans made it to the finals, 4 of them in fact. None of them won but the tables are definately starting to turn.

Bomrek 'Tyson' is now a 2-time hammerdwarf champion, 1-time hammerdwarf runner-up and 2-time tournament of champions winner. He has done awesome in these tournaments but using my point system he's still behind Spartan who has been more consistant over the 3 tournaments. He got his name after he bit the ear off a goblin in his first or second battle.

His profile:
Spoiler: Tyson (click to show/hide)

And his stats:
Spoiler: Numbers (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 01:39:13 pm by BloodBeard »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #15638 on: August 19, 2011, 01:39:39 pm »

Ha, he likes war hammers- big surprise there.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15639 on: August 19, 2011, 01:47:24 pm »

I'm gonna try a 0-point-embark similar to Scraggletag's, except that it will be in a sand desert with Scarce trees and Scarce vegitation and [INVADERS set to :NO] until I manage to fully understand how the military system works (I've only been playing for a month or two).

reechee3

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15640 on: August 19, 2011, 01:58:00 pm »

Looks like it could be then end for Boardedclasp.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ragingpantsless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15641 on: August 19, 2011, 01:59:37 pm »

The only wild animal I get are wild turkeys. Great for supplying my meat industry, lousy for anything else.
"And if you look down in the boiler chamber, you'll see that our hot spring is powered by an ancient, unholy, cramped and extremely pissed forgotten beast."

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15642 on: August 19, 2011, 02:04:42 pm »

Mod them to explode upon contact with enemies.

I prepare for my zero point embark. Which, now that I think about it, doesn't need any preparation at all, save finding the site.

phatkarp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15643 on: August 19, 2011, 02:09:52 pm »

My fort had its first goblin siege.  It didn't look too impressive, so I thought I'd sally my 7 upright battledwarves into combat.  I say "upright" because PunchingBag, my most veteran battledwarf, was still in the hospital recovering from his latest bunch of broken bones, sustained when killing a minotaur that had wandered onto the scene.

The battle was short but intense.  I quickly lost two young recruits to the hail of goblin arrows.  One was shot in the face and died almost immediately.  The other was shot through the throat while in a melee bottle with a goblin axeman.  The heroic bastard continued fighting until he succumbed to blood loss.  My other battledwarves closed the gap, laid waste to the goblins around them, and sent the surviving goblins dashing for the edge of the map.  All-in-all, I was pleased with the results.

Then 30 seconds later the game locked up, and the battle was lost.   >:(

Scraggletag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15644 on: August 19, 2011, 02:40:53 pm »

Good luck on your zero point embarks guys!

Remember, your dwarves will need something to drink before the first caravan. Either embark somewhere with liquid water or surface plants. It's a bit of an exploit, but you can use a wooden training axe to cut down trees, turn them into barrels and then forage for brewable plants.

...my first zero point embark on a glacier didn't go so well.
Pages: 1 ... 1041 1042 [1043] 1044 1045 ... 3842