Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 3839

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5972411 times)

Moontayle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #1560 on: March 03, 2010, 11:34:41 pm »

Abut halfway through my 3rd year in my "work fort". Almost done setting up my obsidian farm and currently clearing out the rubble in what will be my tomb area. Had a farmer go insane for a lack of shell during a mood. Luckily he was walled in and with my mist generator there wasn't even a minor dip in happiness. Just got my first ambush halfway through Spring and it's about two years too late. I expected it sooner and had been preparing. So unfortunately for the goblins my Triple-maxed out attribute Champions who I had just given Iron Plate Armor and some axes made quick work of them. Can't wait for things to escalate.
Tolkien had a great secret: The dwarves of Moria didn't dig too deep. A prominent dwarf with lots of friends started tantruming and, well, you figure out what happened next.

Grif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: March 04, 2010, 12:15:58 pm »

Just embarked to a plain region and started digging what will be my mesoamerican dwarf fort; goals are to build at least 3 large stepped pyramids for prisoner sacrifice. "Warriors" will only be allowed obsidian weaponry and no armor (only leather for champions). Whoever is High Priest (Mayor) isn't allowed to work.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: March 04, 2010, 12:45:49 pm »

Just embarked on a mountain with ug river and pool, magma pipe, hfs, pit and chasm, bordering a terrifying red sand tundra (skeletal mamoths yeah!) After digging some basic defenses and a small living area I went in search of  the ug pool, hoping to use it to start a towercap farm and have  some drinking water for emergency. After some digging I find a circular chamber with three snakemen and a single tile wide "pool" in a corner -_-. 
Disapointed doesnt quite describe how I feel... at elast I have a nice big storage chamber... and there's still the ug river to find too.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #1563 on: March 04, 2010, 01:26:47 pm »

Had both a dragon and a titan visit my mountain-of-mudstone fortress. My overpowered army dealt with them easily, although I was wondering why the dragon was hanging around outside my back entrance instead of just charging in; then I realized it was destroying the doors.

Also making my first attempt at building a large pyramid. Not looking very pretty, with all the aforementioned mudstone, but it's going up..
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: March 04, 2010, 03:43:27 pm »

Just had my 4th possession when I've only had 5 strange moods D: (luckily the one non-possession was an armorer)
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: March 04, 2010, 04:43:16 pm »

I am on my 3rd restart with the embark from the complete newbie tutorial.  My keep is sort of like the tutorial, only almost nothing is on the first level. Just a trading post and a baracks (that has never been used except as transient bedding)
Just had my first mood, a fish disector took over the crafts dwarf shop and made a bone battle axe.
He had no skill in bone craft, now he is a legendary. Good thing I have saved every bone since the start. I didnt have to do anything, I guess I had everything he needed.
Wish it had been a metal worker cause I have two magma smelters and two magma forges and a word furnace going. So steel is flowing.

I have been trying and trying to make a cage to put my cats in so that they stop breeding. No luck. I bought some from the humans but I dont know how to use them.
I bought some ropes from the elves and I figured out how to tie some dogs near the entry last fort I abandoned, but I couldn't figure it out again last night.

I have 3 steel chainmail and helmets and 3 iron cross bows and a bunch of steel and wood bolts made. But I really dont know how to make dwarves use them. I know that I promote one guy and then attach the others to the group. But every time I try to read the newby guide and figure out making a squad, my eyes roll back in my head.

I tried to stop my inhabitants at 20, but the last rush put me up to 26. I really dont know what to do with everyone. My first three minors have now had their picks taken away and are working the metal shop. Three peasants were given the picks and are buffing up with them. I hope to make them soldiers when I figure out how to give the weapons I have made to them.

Everyone is walking along way to the river for water. And I know carp are dangerous and they are in the river.I have started looking at making a well. But it seems pretty iffy looking at those diagrams on the wiki. More booze I guess.

The new diggers have gone down a few z levels into the rock to scout out more rock, and to start setting up another 15 bed rooms. I hope that no more dwarves will come now that my base population is over 20.

I made the dining room way bigger and added more tables and chairs to fit everyone. I used DM to get the jem cutter smoothing and engraving. The room is now legendary and everyone loves it. I hate the rock everywhere. That is my first smoothing and engraving. Seems to work ok.
I had to shut down the room quickly due to partying. I am managing to keep people a bit busier with DM then I could trying to do understand labours in DF.There are a bunch of kittens, calfs, cats, dogs and puppies in the dinning room. I was searching the newby guide(printed the whole thing out) last night trying to figure out what to do with them.
I think I will start with an animal workshop and assign the butcher(never used) to be the trainer and chopper and keeper. See if I can work that out.

There are traders that haven't left yet, and my wood chopper has seen a goblin thief as he came back in the front door. He is behind the thief...I do not know what will happen but I wish I had three of my useless migrants in that barracks beside the goblin with that chainmail on and the crossbows loaded.
I really should have given up on the cage traps and just put up rock fall traps at the front door. I have the mechanisms built but I got caught up for ever trying to get the cages built.

So, my moral hasn't collapsed yet. I will figure out how to use my gear and defend the place. And once I deal with that goblin I will get those rock traps out at the front door.

I wish I could redo the embark party of the complete newbies guide to have a dedicated military guy complete with weapons and armour so that I could see how combat works.  There are lots of deer out there to kill too. If I started with someone who could kill them.

Phil_Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: March 04, 2010, 05:23:35 pm »

to give them weapons go into the "m"ilitary menu, then select  "w"eapons.  enable what you want them to carry.  for armor, there are two selections after the weapon options, on the right of the screen.  hit enter on them to toggle thru weapon types.  first will be materials for cloths, second is whether they carry a shield or not.
It's community is the natural side effect of a game being a masterpiece hiding behind the learning curve of a brick wall - trolls can't play DF long enough to find something to ridicule.
Toady One has created a masterpiece!

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: March 04, 2010, 05:36:15 pm »

Thanks,
I just have to bite the bullet and try it out.

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: March 04, 2010, 05:57:33 pm »

Just saw off a goblin siege.  I was a bit worried about the group with bows, so I left them for last, but they took off running after I slaughtered the other two groups of Goblins.

Two of my champions are now specifically mentioned as enemies of the Goblin nation now.  I'm not sure whether it's the number of goblins they've killed, or if they've both managed to kill goblin champions.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: March 04, 2010, 06:35:26 pm »

I got a baby girl!
from the once a muskox turn human mother.
I don't know who knock her up since she has no relationship stating so, or her child.
so I guess it was one of those gods.
my real idea is that being human doesn't save one from having muskox/human spores or the need to be married.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: March 04, 2010, 06:45:13 pm »

Are you saying you changed the name of the creature "Muskox" to "Human"? I assume your intent was to create and slaughter "human" slaves. You just had a Muskox born, with a different name on it.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: March 04, 2010, 07:14:38 pm »

Undergrotto's 89z goblin drop sadly didn't bloody the 3x3 pool the bugger landed in. Maybe next time when I drop a lot more at once it'll work out better.

Took a video, too.

Ohtar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: March 04, 2010, 07:15:51 pm »

I'm playing a human fortress, in the middle of an elvish forest that my civ is at war with. So far so good- I have six elf prisoners, a lot of elf bone goods and a healthy trade relationship with the dwarves to give me steel.

Looks like I'm going to lose someone to a fey mood though- I don't have any uncut gems, and she won't accept glass. I've got a cage trap all set up, so hopefully she berzerks and I don't have to worry about her legendary husband getting upset.
"He who fights with monsters should take care lest he become a monster… when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you…"
-Friedrich Nietzsche

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: March 05, 2010, 01:25:07 am »

made three dwarves a squad, assigned them chain, axes and shields. Now trying to figure out how to train them.
Now have smoothed housing for all dwarves, lots of complaints of the single kind of booze that I make so I bought some other stuff, and dug another garden for different seeds.  Not planted yet.
Big caravan arrived, but I do not have that much to trade.
My weapon smith guys and armour smith guys are lousy.

neek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: March 05, 2010, 02:07:49 am »

I just noticed that my desert fort's patron civilization is named The Honest Axe.

I think I know what my fort's insignia is going to be. Too bad the map's almost nothing but limestone so it'll take awhile to import the gold and silver I need, but it will be excellent and, for once, very fitting.

Can I give a suggestion as to what your insignia should be? Abe Lincoln. And an axe.
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 3839