Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1038 1039 [1040] 1041 1042 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6093482 times)

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #15585 on: August 18, 2011, 01:21:03 am »

Daggerdepths is now 27 years old. I'm proud of my military, there's now 11 dwarves who have 50+ kills of assorted goblins and trolls. Only 1 still has 100+ and has had it for a while.

Who i'm not so proud of is a dwarf I call Zero, you'll understand why I call her that in a second. So Zero is a hammerdwarf and she's been in the military for 14 years. She's uber-legendary in hammerdwarf, shield user, fighting and many other combat related skills. She's also hands down the strongest dwarf in Daggerdepths, it's practically maxed. Now, I don't pick favourites when I send my dwarves to kill sieges. They fight as a group and chase things down as a group, but she has somehow only managed to get 2, TWO kills in those 14 years. It's messed up! My military isn't even that big, 24 dwarves. 11 have 51+ kills, 18 have 30+ kills, 23 have 18+ kills, and then there's Zero with 2 fucking kills. Geez.

Rawr... anyways since it's year 528 it's time for my next inter-military tournament. The first was in 520 and the 2nd in 524, i'm going for an olympic type deal. I'll post the results here whem i'm done. The results of the last 2:

Spoiler: 520 Elite Tournament (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: 524 Elite Tournament (click to show/hide)

Rushmik

• Bay Watcher
  • Militia? Oh, you mean *serrated steel discs*
    • View Profile
« Reply #15586 on: August 18, 2011, 01:44:28 am »

I had the brilliant idea of channeling a small pit of magma (channeled from our volcano) near the entrance, so that the excessive amount of limbs and corpses we get from each siege could be conveniently thrown in to be incinerated.

My food stockpile happened to be underneath.

All the booze, all the masterwork meals, up in smoke (literally). The chef happened to be down there when it happened, but she got away with only a burnt lip and finger. Her two babies weren't so lucky though, and smeared a crispy trail of blood around the fortress before coming to rest right on the bench of our kitchen workshop. The chef's now complaining of grievous injuries, dead children and her desecrated masterwork meals - what did she expect when she signed up to work under me, next to a volcano?

I sent her back to work to make more masterwork meals. No one's moved the charred baby from her kitchen.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15587 on: August 18, 2011, 02:03:49 am »

Fortress Defense I knew was something different when I embarked to a siege of stranglers. They weren't too bad.

Got my second siege of stranglers, they brought 3 times as many, including "elites". Happily for me, I have steel clad dwarves. It was a meat grinder. I let down my bridge to change the cage traps when the ferric elves show up. I immediately try and get everyone inside, but another group of stranglers cut off my mechanic from the fort. I send out the brave militia of oiledcrystals, and they make short work of them. The ferric elves have arrived, and pincushion a hunting dog. The military interposes itself between the elves and the mechanic, now running around outside the walls. The silver bolts ping off the masterwork steel breastplates, while the iron ones just bounce off. After enough elves have been massacred and the remainder are on the run(not before cowardly shooting a couple macedwarves in the head as they retreat), a goblin ambush decloaks behind the undefended mechanic. My military sprints back over the hill just in time to see him bleed to death.

All in all, macedwarves apparently are too dumb to wear helmets. Or gauntlets. So I have a couple dead ones and couple more with useless hands.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #15588 on: August 18, 2011, 02:06:30 am »

Got a legendary +4 weaver in my first migration wave, and a military dwarf. Thank you, RNG.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15589 on: August 18, 2011, 02:36:55 am »

A quiet period for Divine Towers, so mainly work on various projects:
1. Animal watchtowers going up at the exits of the access tunnels (3 of the 4 projected surface exits are operational).  Using cats this time since it's obvious that Cat Overlords all want their own little sheltered castle to watch the birds and vermin from.

2. Qualified for being the Mountainhomes capital.  The road paving qualification was the longest to complete, and I finally just paved some sections of the projected royal quarters with gold bars to get it done quicker.

3.  The associated museum has some displays.  A nice statue of the dwarves founding the fortress, a statue of the first (and current) mayor, and working out how to display some FB relics.  The other side of the hall will be historical displays since I have various statues on hand for that.

4.  A spike trap set-up in the caves is operational.  A water-based FB was the first victim.  A glass FB was pounded in it until crippled and then a militia captain went in and decapitated it for the kill.  The set-up has internal drawbridges and two places with spikes.  I want to minimally get the two syndrome FBs that are wandering around.  At the minimum I can hopefully seal them in.

5. A goblin prisoner outbreak ended poorly for the goblins.  They ran into posted groups of war dogs which delayed them long enough for militia to appear.  Two dogs wounded, but the recruits got some experience.  The lone survivor (who went back into a cage trap) was subsequently pitted with the badgers and raccoons.  (These keep waltzing right into the entrance cage traps.)
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Marklar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15590 on: August 18, 2011, 05:41:43 am »

1. Started a new fort
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
2. Fun happened
I sense a political conspiracy...Rewriting the story of leader's demise at the hand of goblins to treacherous regicide by fellow dwarfs: "et tu, Urist?"

Teronsuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15591 on: August 18, 2011, 06:15:28 am »

A potter has been taken by a secretive mood. Though he lacks useful skills he IS good for hauling the hoards of crap I've accumulated, if nothing else. He seems to not want any of the workshops I've already built, and I'm trying to make more to entice him into one.

Edit: Put a leatherworks up and he took it immediately, time to see what we get.

Edit 2: Artifact badger leather low boot. "Graspedsizzle the Torch of Executioners" contains an image of Forgotten beasts in badger leather. Neat.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 06:28:01 am by Teronsuke »
Dear Unnamed Fire Imp,
 Get the fuck out of my magma vent. You've already killed one swordsdwarf as he jumped into the volcano to attack you and burned to death hundreds of Urists below.
- The Invisible Man in the Sky

Cousen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15592 on: August 18, 2011, 06:44:08 am »

A magma waterfall seemed like I good idea until about 20min ago.  Was +-30Z levels the magma dropped down into my fort, right past the legendary dinging room to what I envisioned to be a a storage pool for my metal industry.  Every one is dead now....

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15593 on: August 18, 2011, 06:45:03 am »

1. Started a new fort
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
2. Fun happened
Llama fiend? :o
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Teronsuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15594 on: August 18, 2011, 06:51:15 am »

Struck the caverns, found NOTHING of interest excepting the few dozen gems it revealed. Have pitted a brave kitten volunteer to map the area for me. Went up 3 Zlevels from caverns and struck tetrahedrite, so I can finally start on making Iron materials. I'm thinking a couple sets of armor, followed by a couple axes, and then some more armor and a few hammers. It's time to learn how the military works.
Dear Unnamed Fire Imp,
 Get the fuck out of my magma vent. You've already killed one swordsdwarf as he jumped into the volcano to attack you and burned to death hundreds of Urists below.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15595 on: August 18, 2011, 07:48:57 am »

Struck the caverns, found NOTHING of interest excepting the few dozen gems it revealed. Have pitted a brave kitten volunteer to map the area for me. Went up 3 Zlevels from caverns and struck tetrahedrite, so I can finally start on making Iron materials. I'm thinking a couple sets of armor, followed by a couple axes, and then some more armor and a few hammers. It's time to learn how the military works.
Tetrahedrite is copper not iron.

Teronsuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15596 on: August 18, 2011, 07:56:50 am »

Tetrahedrite is copper not iron.

Depressing. I'll still make everything I planned. Something's better than nothing.
Dear Unnamed Fire Imp,

accoro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15597 on: August 18, 2011, 08:30:57 am »

NOTHING IS GOING ON. I am very bored. And it's making me resent myself that I, through force of habit, log onto the forums and see everyones awesome forts and hate myself for being so uncreative. V.V
Stand there pondering all the great mysteries of the DF universe.  The last thing going through his head being of course the Atom Smasher.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15598 on: August 18, 2011, 08:51:32 am »

Well, I'd gotten a bit out of practice with DF having not had much time to play of late, so I genned a new world and started a new fort to refresh my abilities: Arbandeduk, "Cradlemanors", founded by The Speechless Keys in the name of The Craterous Mines. (Awesome civ name! :) ) It's above ground, as I tend to make better forts that way, and unfortunately the map is entirely flat.
Anyway, long story short, I embarked on an evil plain or something, and wow, everything is going wrong! :D
Firstly we just had an ogre or two, easily killed by axedwarves. Then a badger conga line scared the shit out of me, but they just danced their way past my fort, did a few loops then left. A few people drowned in thawing pools, nothing too dramatic.
But then, another two ogres came at once, beat a milker to death, and then the one who took the credit ran off and hid while the militia hacked her friend to pieces. Since then, the damn ogre, named Nonebane or something, has been the terror of Cradlemanors. :( She runs too fast for my axedwarves to catch her, and is always sneaking back to ambush lone dwarves. I'm really pretty rusty at this. :P Then, another problem struck when I breached the caverns; one of my favourite dwarves, a miner, was set upon and torn apart by a giant toad, the first I've ever seen in DF.
The giant toad claimed another life, and badly injured someone before my militia commander, the only really capable fighter, got his arse down there and killed it. Toad roast, everyone!
The ogress, sadly, eventually left before I could have my revenge. >:(
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15599 on: August 18, 2011, 09:56:13 am »

Careless cavein punched through a river, into my workshops and stockpiles. Water, water everywhere. My crypt is underwater.
Pages: 1 ... 1038 1039 [1040] 1041 1042 ... 3842