Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1032 1033 [1034] 1035 1036 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6130048 times)

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #15495 on: August 16, 2011, 12:54:29 pm »

Not sure if I still have it though, my computer stopped working when I was saving my game. :( Gonna check soon.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15496 on: August 16, 2011, 01:30:21 pm »

My gods.
Lignite veins running through clusters of magnetite.

How about yearly soapmaker sacrifices to Armok, everyone?

Yearly? If the soapmaker blood isn't constantly flowing down the sides of the 100-metre high sacrificial mound, you have failed Armok.
[Signature]

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15497 on: August 16, 2011, 01:57:48 pm »

If you want to keep that up, you'd need to train people to be soapmakers before killing them for being soapmakers! I didn't realise Armok was the god of absolute pointlessness!

Then again, it is Dwarf Fortress...
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15498 on: August 16, 2011, 02:03:12 pm »

My starting 7 weaponsmith got a mood. She liked war hammers so I was planning on giving her a platinum bar to start with, but she wouldnt take it!  >:( She would only pick up wafers so I was bummed. Out of nowhere though she made a 5mil adamantine spiked ball! Weird. Awesome and a relief but weird, I though she was going to make the dreaded pillow hammer.

A FB with deadly blood is trying to destroy the artifact door I have built to separate cavern layer 1 and my fort. I can't help but try to collect syndrome samples for future !!SCIENCE!! but I'm lacking in giant spiders, so I think I might just kill it, quarantine the blood pools by walling it in and coming back later when I have a proper !!SCIENCE!! lab. You can duplicate blood by dropping items in it, transferring the item and pouring water on it right?

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15499 on: August 16, 2011, 02:27:10 pm »

I didn't realise Armok was the god of absolute pointlessness!
You just discovered point of this game. After all, player is Armok.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #15500 on: August 16, 2011, 02:38:25 pm »

^I mentioned that earlier :3

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15501 on: August 16, 2011, 03:02:56 pm »

Allright, allright. Makes sense. Sorta.

Anyway. a) some doofus left some clothes behind at the very bottom of my basin. I gave him a silver cabinet in his room but he refuses to put the clothes in it. Trying to dump the items doesn't work either.  ::)

b) I somehow managed to capture a magma crab.  :o I literally have a magma crab cage (lead). How? The only possible explanation is that the magma crab climbed out the top of the volcano, which is ruddy hard because there aren't any ramps. I can't tame the blighter either and wiki says it can't be butchered.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #15502 on: August 16, 2011, 03:18:44 pm »

Modify the RAWS and capture a ton more, then capture a bunch of geese and form an army.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15503 on: August 16, 2011, 04:49:22 pm »

I have seen the wisdom in confiscation of all but hand and feet coverings.  Into the magma pit they go!

After I get the blood thorns from the lowest cavern of no-water, I sealed it up.  Now it has 4 forgotten beasts in it, and if I open it, very bad things are going to happen.  Not that I need to, but I was thinking it might be fun to dig on over to the volcano tube and open it up ... into that cavern.

247 dwarfs, fed on nothing but prickle berries, strawberries, and fisher berries + booze.  Vegetarians, booyah!  7 x legendary farmers seriously put out the crops.  Not having to cook?  Awesome.  I just buy animals to butcher for bones and fat for moods and soap.   With totally sublime wells, they seem to wash themselves pretty often.

I only planned on 200, now I'm going to have to expand to handle the growth...  I thought 200 was the limit!?

Topside, the absolute devastation of green glass serrated disc weapon traps is keeping the trolls and goblins fleeing in droves, and I narrowly avoided a war with the humans.  Funny story, that.  Humans show up with a caravan, a liason and a diplomat.  And an ambush.  I hit the alert button, and everyone runs inside except the liason, who figures, no no, it's better out here, with the goblins and trolls.  He dies, and the diplomat leaves unhappy with the caravan.  Ok, so he's unhappy? so what.

next year, humans show up, with weapons in hand.  They stand around the edge of the map for a few months, decide to take a run at the main gate, are promptly turned into ribbons of armok-pleasing , and the rest run away.  Then the peace diplomat shows up and says "can we play nice again?"  Sure! Bring your cheese wheels right this way, fine sir.  Next time, bring a liason with a brain in his head.

Oh, and I'm sporting a duchy now, with 4 x microcline paved roads to the map edge.  Rarr!

Stoup

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15504 on: August 16, 2011, 05:22:39 pm »

I recently damn near flooded my fortress's living quarters thanks to an aquifer. This is the first map I've played on where I've had to deal with aquifers, and I was only just able to contain the water before it spread to the lower levels. As in, there was 1/7 water on the tile where the walls were being built. Only loss is a small amount of bituminous coal, which is not in short supply here. I only now wish this embark had some military metals. Perhaps I'll have to dig deeper and see what I can find in the depths.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15505 on: August 16, 2011, 05:42:37 pm »

More aquifers.

Scraggletag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15506 on: August 16, 2011, 06:16:48 pm »

Previous post

Doom as fallen on Lushmines!

No, no. Not that. The mussels will grow back. I'm afraid it's much, much worse.

Apparently, word of our delicious vulture foie gras, vulture pâté and minced mussels lightly fried in vulture grease has reached the Mountainhome. Eighteen dwarves came out to our lovely hell hole, and there is nothing of value here besides the food.

I'm only halfway through the second aquifer layer and I now have 30 dwarves living in the first 2 soil layers. They're sharing a grand total of 6 beds, 2 tables, 2 chairs, unlimited water, nearly unlimited food, and barely any booze. I'm going to have to juggle some stockpiles around to keep them from using all the barrels for storage.

Even though I'm sure the ambushes are right on their tail, I can't give up without a fight. Most of he newly hatched peachicks have been placed in small "pastures" outside the main gate. They should at least provide some early warning. Eight of the most physically fit immigrants were drafted into something almost, but not quite, entirely unlike a military.

They're organized into two squads of four each. A piece of precious wood was sacrificed to make a weapon rack and each squad is set to train year round, two at a time. Most of them have crossbows. I have plenty of bolts but few have quivers. Armor is also in short supply. Tun Tangledceilings, one of the new arrivals, is a talented leatherworker. He's been put to work crafting leather armor, shields, quivers and high boots. Såkzul Veilpaints, the ledgenday mussel shell carver, has changed gears to try to make some bone gauntlets, helms and greaves. A random dwarf who likes crossbows has been ordered to make some more weapons but it's slow going.

The second elven caravan arrived a little while ago. No logs whatsoever. All I got was 3 lumps of clay, 3 more barrels, the most expensive bucket and rope they had, plus a tame lion and 2 snacks-on-the-hoof (I think it was a gazelle and a water buffalo). Used my last piece of stone to build a mechanism and then a well. At least my dwarves won't get too unhappy when the booze runs out.

Next post
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 04:17:42 pm by Scraggletag »

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15507 on: August 16, 2011, 07:07:42 pm »

It's long been known that Elephants are no longer the terror they once were.

I think they were just saving up that terror for a special occasion.

Fortunately it was but a single beast, and therefore nothing a good zerg rush couldn't handle.

Good news:
  • The Captain of the Guard received a severe injury in his arm during the fight. With luck his beatings from here on out will be ineffective.
  • No actual casualties besides a single dog.
Bad News:
  • My War Cheetah got one of its teeth knocked out in the fray... mere days after the mandate for Cheetah Tooth items expired. The mayor has since been replaced with someone whose requests will be more tractable as I'd prefer not to have to fight a Forgotten Beast every time I need teeth. :P

Masta Crouton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15508 on: August 16, 2011, 07:14:54 pm »

He's a he. Besides that, his new hospital is really fucking massive. :P

Also; I look away from DF for a moment; snatcher report. In a cage.
Also; I look  away  for  a   second  time; snatcher report. In a cage.

i swear they gravitate towards those things

I didn't realise Armok was the god of absolute pointlessness!
You just discovered point of this game. After all, player is Armok.

and we are all but avatars of armok

and good lord, edit 2. got my first siege, right when the elves showed up. they swarmed the trade depot, slaughtering all the elves but one. he made a break for my doors. i locked them. he ran to the door, and stopped. then the goblins descended upon him.

armok is pleased.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 07:52:19 pm by Masta Crouton »

alesia

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME:ANY_MAGMA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15509 on: August 16, 2011, 08:06:12 pm »

Hammerwork is on hold.  Succumbed to the lure of the pricelessly twisted and installed the My Little Fortress mod.  Embarked with a rainbow pony civ on the side of a gently sloped volcano, and am currently in the process of cleaning up the terraces to build something between a Zuni-style pueblo and Anasazi-style cliff city.  Out of painted wood.  Oh yeah.
Pages: 1 ... 1032 1033 [1034] 1035 1036 ... 3842