Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1028 1029 [1030] 1031 1032 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6129808 times)

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #15435 on: August 14, 2011, 09:12:24 am »

Yes. Yes you can. It falls into tiny bits at the slightest touch.
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15436 on: August 14, 2011, 09:48:45 am »

In fortress *Laborlands* On an embark where I've not found any metals yet, first two moods, weaponsmith makes artefact copper shortsword, then armoursmith makes artefact tin greves.

That's all the metals I had at the time they got their moods, I think Amok may be trying to tell me something. Perhaps I should go praise the miners, like I have never done before. perhaps I'll get something good then.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #15437 on: August 14, 2011, 10:32:53 am »

You do know that the player is Armok, right? I dont think many people think that through. The dwarves are your slaves, and thus you are armok.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15438 on: August 14, 2011, 10:44:37 am »

Yes. Yes you can. It falls into tiny bits at the slightest touch.

It'd be awesome if in freezing biomes it turned into an ice FB.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15439 on: August 14, 2011, 10:46:39 am »

Nope, I'm too kind and gentile to my dwarves to be Amok. I've only killed one baron ever, and felt bad about it for weeks after, especially after the replacement baron was even worse!  The next worst thing I did was kill a noble by bedroom envy, mason made artefact bed, so I gave her a room using the bed she made, no abount of masterwork statues, engravings or fruniture would save the noble, which eventually starved to death from depression. I looked at the statues... three of them were about the mason making her artefact bed! Looking back at it, the mason made the statues, and KNEW they were going into the noble's bedroom, and she wanted to rub it in his face, so I guess the statues did not help his sanity.

Wolock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15440 on: August 14, 2011, 11:35:18 am »

So i've strike the earth and name my fortress Strongfaith. My civ isn't dead but it's still at war with the elves even if nothing happened in over a century.

It's Spring of year 2 and 15 spearmen and an archer has just make an ambush on us. I've started steel production a while ago and drafted 3 dwarves with some military skill but they weren't fully equipped and even less trained so I called the Miners Militia to arms.

Results
Them : 13 dead for the elves, 1 injured (He left behing his left foot and left arm) and 2 escaped
Us : 1 dead recruit, 2 heavily injured recruits and 4 civies with little injuries

Two of the three miners got 5 kills in the battle and last one got 3. Now there's elves pieces all over the place and we'll need a little clean-up

magmaholic

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hello again"- canadian stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #15441 on: August 14, 2011, 11:56:08 am »

hacked one of my dwarfs to be a mobile earthquake.
and opened circus.
boring :c
I am a Goober.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #15442 on: August 14, 2011, 02:13:05 pm »

I'm currently converting the font of the fortress into a fortification-concealed ballista/catapult battery, while three legendary steel-clad hammerlords are continually whacking a flesh ball in the basement for increasingly godlike stats. Adamantine armor is being prepared for the champions in the depths of the third cavern layer's magma vent.

Bring it on, beardless goblin scum.

Update: During the training of the siege operators, an ambush sprung from the mountainside and injured a speardwarf. I found it particularly helpful that I can just order a lever pulled to retract the bridge walls and turn the training ground into a 10-catapault fortification wall facing outward. This excellent design saved the poor speardwarf, who was being hammered by several goblins whilst his squad fought off the bowgoblins harassing the caravan.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 02:40:21 pm by DrKillPatient »
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15443 on: August 14, 2011, 02:38:44 pm »

Making Adamantine, Mithril, and Steel items for an adventurer. Might make Platinum crafts and a metal statue if possible  (my guy'll go kill a Bronze Colossus or Iron Man if it isn't).

Taking unsane amounts of thread, wood and leather for my guy to make armor, quivers, ammunition and bows before going to kill either a night-beast or a fabled Dragon.Then I'll retire in a nearby town for a while, dig a few more small rooms for my adventurer's storage, and go find some way to entre Hell.

Then I'll go kill a bunch of random wildlife to train my sword, bow, axe, and spear skills. THEN I'll go kill a tonne of demons for fame and wage war on other civilisations by taking massive amounts of humanoid shields companions as soldiers to go (ran)sack other towns and lay siege to castles.

Wolock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15444 on: August 14, 2011, 09:49:21 pm »

I'm planning a 60+ levels pumpstack for my fort and as I tought it will be a lot of work. I'll a little more than 180 iron bars to make the pumps. I want them totally magma-safe because I know screw-up will happen. Plus, I'll have to close the bridges during the constrution because my miners will be occupied so I won't have any potent soldiers to defend the fort.

It's my biggest project to date and the fort will probably be the first that I won't get bored or stalled by the lag at 60 dwarves.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15445 on: August 15, 2011, 12:04:04 am »

If your building pump stacks of the self powering type, note that any designated plan without a physical connection will deconstruct itself at seasons end, so don't designate all 60 of them at once
Magma is overrated.

CaptApollo12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15446 on: August 15, 2011, 12:15:19 am »

If your building pump stacks of the self powering type, note that any designated plan without a physical connection will deconstruct itself at seasons end, so don't designate all 60 of them at once

I ran into that problem a year ago - took me like 30 times re-designating to realize what was going on.
"MONTARON!  You are so AGGRAVATING!   'Tis disturbing to my demeanor..."

Loyal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rogueish looks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15447 on: August 15, 2011, 12:25:58 am »

Started up a new fort after having not played the game in... probably 9 months? Hi, everybody!

The military system is such a pain (again) and dwarves never spar for more than a couple blows before returning to individual drills. It's a good thing I disabled invasions or everyone would be dead several times over. I'm not sure anyone is actually using the Training weapons I made for them, but then I don't remember seeing dwarves ever use them, ever. That and the fact that I have very little native weaponable metal because I forgot that Marble was Metamorphic and not Sedimentary, and the Granite layers in the cavern have thus far yielded nothing but Galena... Aiy.

Speaking of caverns, a Troll I failed to notice wandered up and mauled two dwarves to death while they were hauling things out. Including my trader - Whoops!

The first guy to get elected mayor confuses me. He has a terrible memory, no patience, poor linguistic skills, and an inability to understand social relations. He has only two friends and just as many grudges. How the hell did this guy get voted into office?

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #15448 on: August 15, 2011, 07:30:33 am »

We're outta booze!

We're outta goddamn BOOZE!

And apparently one of the pet hornlizards got caught in "blinder vapor" and has now rotten eyes.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 07:37:42 am by jaxy15 »
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15449 on: August 15, 2011, 07:47:17 am »

Ran out of booze, set barrels to be produced on repeat to brew some more. Now at 360 booze and climbing.

Traders from Olin Cenath came, we bought only what we wanted for our rock crafts. Quantum stockpiled a lot of stone, clearing S7 some special rooms in doing so.

Militia Commander (Adept Swordsdwarf) killed a Kobold Thief for us. Two hits, flat of the blade shattering the bone and stab in the arm severing it, then the kobold bled out. Free dagger for our lone Knife User.
Pages: 1 ... 1028 1029 [1030] 1031 1032 ... 3842