Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1013 1014 [1015] 1016 1017 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6128704 times)

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #15210 on: August 07, 2011, 08:56:43 am »

A badger got into my aboveground impalion fort.
It was quickly killed.

The fort or the badger?
The badger.
The Impalions are like size 90000, the poor thing wouldn't have stood a chance anyway.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15211 on: August 07, 2011, 10:40:27 am »

This is a stack of 16 goat cheese roast. The ingrediants are alpaca cheese, alpaca cheese, alpaca cheese, and goat cheese. Because something made out of 3 parts alpaca cheese and one part goat cheese... is obviously a goat cheese roast.

anyways, started a new fort with a new land-claiming tactic of blocks of walls with cage-trap corners. I have yet to test it with actual goblins, but it's making me feel far more capable of making large walled-in areas.

also just purchased a giraffe and a rhinoceros from the elves. With a selection like that I think I'll actually start a zoo. If that doesn't work too well then at least I'll have more fodder for any future attacks.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15212 on: August 07, 2011, 11:34:25 am »

Attn Kingdom Military Adviser-

The fortress city of Freecraft has met with a horrific new enemy that must be added to the charts.

It all began when we were receiving the most recent tradesman from the capital, we were just finalizing our agreements when a scout came rushing over the hill.  She informed us that she had seen an army of creatures the likes of which we had never encountered before crossing the borders into our lands.  We had crushed the pathetic foes in our past; frogmen, tigermen, dark stranglers, beak wolves, even goblin ambush squads that attacked while we were gathering wounded, none of them survived.  However this enemy was different.

A flying jackal like creature with horns, a main, and giant bat wings.  A dozen or so of them arrived and were perched just outside of our walls near our mausoleum.  They were about twice the size of your average dwarf infantryman and carried with them weapons and seemed to be able to communicate.  Because of their flight we knew the city walls would not stop them so we dispatched our entire army, nearly fifty dwarves. 

Our army was not in its ideal shape, that is true.  We had faced recent battles with goblins and tigermen which left some of us with minor injuries but they were all ready to fight and die for the kingdom! They organized at the base of the hill on which these creatures perched and then attacked.  It was a slaughter sir; the creatures were slashed, stabbed, and pummeled but they would not die.  No matter how many bolts our marksdwarves buried into their skin they would not die! They began to cut through our dwarves as if they were wearing no armor at all, it was horrific to watch.  In the end nearly our entire military was destroyed and we did not manage to bring down even one of the beasts!

As I send this runner two of the creatures are attacking our very gates, whats left of our military and the guards from the caravan which is still here are attempting to fight them off but they just.. Will.. Not.. Die.. The rest of their force is sitting just outside of our reflecting pool (a shrine we made to dead soldiers) to the north, watching and no doubt laughing at our inability to face even just a few of them.   This may be the end of Freecraft.  We have instructed all civilians to take shelter within the fortress itself, we will begin to draft then into the military to try to bring these things down but if our trained military outnumbering these.. Things.. Nearly five to one could not stop them I fear the worst.

I hope this letter makes it to you, we will keep the creatures busy until the scout can clear our lands.

BEWARE THE NIGHTWING!

=Vabok, Chief Medical Dwarf of the city of Freecraft

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15213 on: August 07, 2011, 11:47:58 am »

This is a stack of 247 superiorly prepared roc egg stew. The ingredients are finely minced nakkadile egg, exceptionally minced duck egg, and superiorly minced roc egg.

I need cheese so I can make omelettes.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15214 on: August 07, 2011, 12:19:38 pm »

Betcha wish you didn't send all those cheesemakers to their doom at the front of your infantry now huh?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15215 on: August 07, 2011, 12:21:03 pm »

I haven't had any cheesemakers, and I don't keep my milkable animals anyway. They're all grazers, so meh, too much work. I might import the cheese directly. I can sell roc eggs to them and get cheese (and a bunch of heavy shit) in return.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15216 on: August 07, 2011, 12:23:11 pm »

Divine Tower got a visit from a goblin ambush squad.  They surprised two masons who were extending a wall near one of the entrances.  The masons fled away from the fortress in their panic and were chased down and killed by an enterprising axe goblin.  The rest headed into the fortress via an unlocked postern door.  The leader and one axe goblin fell afoul of cage traps.  The other two, (and the mason killing goblin) found a downward stair and charged...

Right into the Trade Depot full of merchants and idling dwarven guards.

The merchants seemed annoyed, but the guards appeared to enjoy their sport as they hacked goblins into bits and then went back to drinking dwarven wine.

Time to extend the defensive perimeter a bit farther out and get some more watchtowers operational.  More goblins will be turning up soon, and probably a siege as well.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15217 on: August 07, 2011, 12:43:44 pm »

I got another stupid artifact. A perfect milk quartz. WTF?

Dike-Faith now has a 54-dwarf population. Among the migrant wave was two doctors and some kid.
A (5-year-old dwarven child). This item was not produced at your fort.

One doctor was novice in every metal-smithing skill with novice in bone-doctoring.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15218 on: August 07, 2011, 12:57:44 pm »

EDIT: FEY METALSMITH
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 01:00:54 pm by Urist Imiknorris »

Weary Exile

• Bay Watcher
  • Beard Science!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15219 on: August 07, 2011, 01:08:03 pm »

At first I thought 'damn that's a lot of kittens' but then my mouse slipped and accidentally clicked on the image.

What's happening in my fort is that I had a human caravan but I was so engrossed in micromanaging some other crap that I totally forgot they were there until they left. >:C
It's like regular childcare, except with more dogs, and less care.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15220 on: August 07, 2011, 02:14:54 pm »

Daggerdepths enters year 525, or 24 years old.

While i'm forcing my military to pair up and marry the rest of my dwarves are hauling rocks and rough gems. I got my rock-using workshops adjacent to my rock stockpile where each rock type is in its own quantum stockpile. It makes things very easy for controling what rocks moody dwarves use and making things using specific rocks.

My military has more females then males so right now there's only 1 single male and 6 potential mates, but he isn't really the social type so it might take a while to choose, if ever.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #15221 on: August 07, 2011, 02:57:08 pm »

Numtosid, my newest 40d desert fort...

Got it's fifth strange mood since founding.

It's fifth possession in a row.

Haspen cancels Playing Dwarf Fortress: Throwing a tantrum.

EDIT: The guy made wooden amulet.

Haspen cancels Throwing a tantrum: Throwing another tantrum.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 03:04:42 pm by Haspen »
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15222 on: August 07, 2011, 02:59:21 pm »

My fortress just became a mountainhome, after the arrival of the BEST KING EVER.  He has no likes or dislikes.  None.  In his description, it goes straight from "He is almost never sick and quite durable" to "He has a deep well of patience, great intuition, a natural ability with music, good creativity, a good intellect and an ability to read emotions fairly well," without any of that "likes (expensive metal)" stuff in between.

EDIT: the part that makes him the best is that he has never made even a single mandate.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 03:02:09 pm by Gizogin »
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15223 on: August 07, 2011, 05:17:21 pm »

My fortress just became a mountainhome, after the arrival of the BEST KING EVER.  He has no likes or dislikes.  None.  In his description, it goes straight from "He is almost never sick and quite durable" to "He has a deep well of patience, great intuition, a natural ability with music, good creativity, a good intellect and an ability to read emotions fairly well," without any of that "likes (expensive metal)" stuff in between.

EDIT: the part that makes him the best is that he has never made even a single mandate.

Kings never do, which is pretty nice :D
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15224 on: August 07, 2011, 07:18:31 pm »

I'm gonna embark on a cave, take the proper materials for an adventuring cave expedition, dig a niche near an underground lake, put a bed in the niche, abandon, go to the cave as an adventurer, take up the stuff in the wagon(s), go down to the niche, and live in the caverns.
Pages: 1 ... 1013 1014 [1015] 1016 1017 ... 3842