Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1000 1001 [1002] 1003 1004 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6127646 times)

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #15015 on: August 03, 2011, 03:25:15 am »

4 snatchers attacked.
The war pets died and my small army received very minor injuries.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15016 on: August 03, 2011, 03:45:59 am »

Been attempting to survive in a duplicate raw world with a bunch of satyrs. No picks and no axes, the caravans don't bring anything (except their empty pack peacocks) and I couldn't even add any items to embark with. The clothes made of fire men aren't making it easier, melting most of the migrants and occasionally starting giant brush fires. The wagon was fortunately made of nether cap so it didn't burn, leaving me with three logs as my only building material. At this point my only hope is that an invader or caravan guard brings an axe. Until then my satyrs have nothing to do but fish, gather plants and make roasts. They don't seem to eat (despite needing to drink and sleep) so the roasts are just sitting in a pile gathering dust.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Vonyx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15017 on: August 03, 2011, 04:37:30 am »

Not much.

Just a humanoid beast with a bull's head attacking, catching my legendary tanner.

Beats him for a while, then tries to strangle him for 22(* a lot of times) pages.

As I considered him dead I didn't do anything first, then I sent my 2 hammerdwarfs to start hit him, they kill him rather fast.

And the tanner did only get his foot and arm broken. Sometimes your lucky I guess ... 

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15018 on: August 03, 2011, 06:31:45 am »

Zalisiden has a strong farm and a steady supply of food coming in from the lakes. Our first migrant wave gave us a clothier (useless), a lye maker (useless) and a thresher with Adept in Swordsdwarf, Armour, Dodging, Fighting and Shield User. Militia commander? I inspected her stats. Mighty, Agile and tough. AwW yeah. Best militia-destined one ever.

As I don't have a sword yet, she's just running around wrestling. In other news, a band of Rhesus Macaques attacked the burgeoning Zalisiden. I drafted my miner and he promptly martial tranced and ruined the Macaques' day. I'm in a Serene biome to make a change from the Untamed Wilds and the Sinister and Terrifying forts i had recently.

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15019 on: August 03, 2011, 07:35:11 am »

A planter gets a mood. He wants silk cloth... But I dont have any. The elven traders dont, either.

So I fire up the Runesmith and cancel his mood. No problem?

15 min later he goes berserk. Theres nothing in Runesmith I could do to help him. He runs straight ACROSS THE FORTRESS to my Militia Commander's room, where he punches the sleeping commander, in the head, through his masterwork steel helmet, breaking skull and tearing his brains. A spear dwarf finally gets him a few seconds later.

:o

I cant even fucking savescum.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15020 on: August 03, 2011, 08:03:29 am »

Hit the caverns and found a deep pit right off the bat. Unlike Cavecamps, this cave has water and a few giant shrooms and shrubs going. Brought no farmers to start a farm, but plenty of seeds, food and booze.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #15021 on: August 03, 2011, 08:19:28 am »

Keep converting, and soon all will bow to the light of DF. heheh.
--

In my latest fort, which has sand, I am now making all my weapon traps 10 x large, serrated green glass discs.  This has proven very effective, with 4 x magma glass furnaces.

I built a water-filled moat, which was built incorrectly, prior to filling it. (remove the ramps BEFORE you fill it, you fool! )  So I built a dry mount outside the wet moat, and this has proven very entertaining.  In that goblins fall in, and have to run such a LONG way to get out, with traps slicing them into goblin pieces.  So satisfying!

I almost didn't get my danger room built before the first siege showed up, so I had to take them out one squad at a time.  At least I had the foresight to build a drawbridge this time.  Oh, and whatever the hell random number generator made a world without plump helmet seeds, or underground crops?  To hell with you, I'm breeding farm animals this time.  And making the bearded fellas drink water from sublime wells.  pbbbth!  Lips that touch plants will never touch theirs!

Adamantine beckons!

Try modding the game to let you have no pets, and then have the random generator spring that on you.

ME: Lalalalalala... Lalala? OH DEAR FUCKING GOD WHY?

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15022 on: August 03, 2011, 09:25:20 am »

Apparently making a very large, completely dry sandy cave creates young blood thorn plants!!  at Embark-Z-minus-1 !

!!   :o  !!

/dance /dance /dance

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15023 on: August 03, 2011, 09:40:49 am »

My squad of recruits (and a merchant axedwarf) just gangraped a sasquatch. Poor bastard never had a chance.

My mayor got in on the action, too. I've always been rather pissed off with this particular mayor, but given he was in there with a fuck-off big axe hacking at this giant, hairy man-ape-thing? Yeah, he's pretty cool.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Mobotium

• Bay Watcher
  • I dont know who you are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15024 on: August 03, 2011, 12:10:16 pm »

I sent my new competent militia captain to kill some random animals. There were only rhinos, and I was like "Why the hell not?". Hes sleeping with the fishes now, literally.

On other news I discovered the second/third layer of caverns (not sure which) with a horizontal entrance and found a couple of serpentman some 3 tiles away from my entrance. fun.
Yes he is... So the countess will never bread?
If she doesnt bread, let her cake.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #15025 on: August 03, 2011, 12:18:21 pm »

Im getting the magma production set up, and my mayor has a strange fettish for zinc cabinets and statues, her room is filled with them.

HunterBlackLuna

• Bay Watcher
  • [REQUIRES_LNP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15026 on: August 03, 2011, 12:25:15 pm »

Messing the raws a little too deeply plus Lazy Newb Pack has spelled the final end to my most enduring and glorious fortress.. Anusdimple the Angry Angelic Disembowelment of Artifice has fallen, not to a siege of vast armies or awaking fell secrets in the deep, but rather to...

technical difficulties.

Having no interest in trying to invest the care to sort out what exactly happened, I decided to wipe the entire LNP folder and reinstall with the new version. Oh well, in Dwarf Fortress, even are most glorious achievements are but a fleeting memory.

And in that spirit, the grand new beginning of Nightmirror has struck out! Untamed Wilderness, which is a big step up from my usual play. It's still no Battlefailed, but I've decided to actually try the default ASCII business for once! Just for the novelty, since I always swear by graphics packs for not making my soul bleed. (WHY-WON'T-SQUARE-TILES-BE-SQUARE)

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15027 on: August 03, 2011, 12:30:17 pm »

End of first year: An Ambush! Curse all friends of nature... wait, friends of nature? Yay, in my newest fort I got elves at war without even doing anything. Now it's in its 3rd year and got 50+ assorted goblins, elves and badgers in cages and everything's going well. A few dwarves died in various amusing ways but I'll detail on that later.

It got even better... a dwarven caravan came around in year 4 and with it came 5 elven ambushes and 4 more from the goblins - all at the same time. I decided it would be more fun to fight them instead of using cage traps, so I sent my military of 20 highly skilled and armed dwarves and everything went gloriously gory. About 60 dead elves (plus lots of moose and grizzly bears) and goblins in a lake of blood around the fort entrance. Now I know the true meaning of goblin christmas. And again the immigrants did the right thing and appeared at the right time for cleaning up the mess. I only lost 1 woodcutter and 2 recruits (who didn't have armor yet). Infections suck.

The next immigration should bring me above 80 dwarves. I know that goblins sieges will come around and I hope for more elves. Right now, my miners are digging out more room for prisoner stockpiles. I hope to collect a few hundred invaders and stage a monumental battle in the big arena in the middle of the grand dining room (semi-circle about 50 tiles in diameter)

In other news, the main tower is finished. It's square and right above the central spiraling ramp. There's a 20z drop from the top of the tower to the caves and around it two 3 tile wide spirals. I planned on using it for useless migrants but so far, all of them were useful or at least good cannon fodder.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Plasson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15028 on: August 03, 2011, 01:53:04 pm »

one of my more anonymous dwarves just had a Mood, he decided it was time to fresh up on his unused armoring skill and create a Copper Greaves with magnetite detailing.   :fistpump:

Time for a new steel set for my soldiers :)

proxn_punkd

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a better dove story than Twilight
    • View Profile
« Reply #15029 on: August 03, 2011, 02:10:50 pm »

Genned a new world, started a new fort. DF Prospector and DF Reveal promise me great things if I can get this sucker going. Surface deposits of bituminous coal and hematite, shallow marble, and farther down enough spoiler that I can mine quite a bit before the vein gets hollow. Magma pipe in Cave 3, surrounded by sharp ledges and no ramps at all.

Among the interesting challenges the site seems to be throwing at me: my dwarves' civilization has yet to discover plump helmets (which they will if I reach Cave 2)! Also, I thought I only had one miner but it turns out I have two. Oops. I'll buy you a pick when the caravan comes.

Tons of animals. Two dogs, three cats, two each of peafowl and turkeys, and the horses assigned to pull the wagon (which have good enough traits that I might as well breed them).

And one dwarf whose personality traits are all either really depressing or really superior. He's got decent artistic skills, so he shall be Urist McEmo the craftsman.
Pages: 1 ... 1000 1001 [1002] 1003 1004 ... 3842