Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 998 999 [1000] 1001 1002 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6127537 times)

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #14985 on: August 02, 2011, 10:21:25 am »

Just became a barony and I raised my faithful manager - who I have treated very well, giving him an office, dining hall and everything on par with my mayor for her whole time as my manager - to the position of baroness.

She celebrated by banning the export of grates, of all things.

My current mayor is a bit of a bastard; he likes really obscure metals. So far I've managed, but my mayor might be due for an early retirement soon.

Gratz you're mayor is a hipster, "Pfft I don't like terahedrite anymore, it's so mainstream I like platinum more.
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.

Bleaktea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14986 on: August 02, 2011, 10:30:55 am »

I found a dwarf's skeleton on a roof; I have no idea how he got there, I had to build a ramp to go get him.  They stuffed his body in the sprawling catacombs under the chapel, along with all the others.  My wife said a bird did it.  Given the flocks of vultures that descend on the fortress once every year, I am inclined to believe her.

Countess Granny is apparently going senile.  She just stands all day on a beehive trying to "install colony in hive", getting repeatedly stung, only taking breaks when thirst or hunger finally force her to stop.  I turned off her beekeeping labour, and now she just mopes around the town, visiting the parties.

One of the dwarves flipped out after I accidentally atom-smashed a masterpiece of his, and took a swing at the militia commander (whose name, and I am not making this up, is "Risen Rocksflesh"; he has a title too, but it's basically redundant after that name).  He also punched a road to death.  I saw some bad thoughts related to the fact that he never ended up in jail for that, so I built a (fortress-like, unnecessarily complex) jail and appointed a fortress guard with snazzy matching uniforms.

They promptly arrested a random mason and threw him in the deepest, darkest dungeon.  Well, whatever makes them happy I guess.  Maybe they weren't willing to tangle with someone who threw a punch at Commander Rocksflesh and lived.

Elisebambi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14987 on: August 02, 2011, 11:00:24 am »

I've just started the process of draining 50 levels worth of magma from a volcano so I can construct a magmonument for Armok in the center of my Magmathedral.

Ragingpantsless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14988 on: August 02, 2011, 11:09:08 am »

Finding out that selectively dropping volcanoes requires much more work than previously thought. At 122 dwarves the progress is slow anyway, so if I can't get the volcano dropper working by next siege I'll just accident it and hope for the best. Or most spectacular.
"And if you look down in the boiler chamber, you'll see that our hot spring is powered by an ancient, unholy, cramped and extremely pissed forgotten beast."

Darth_Karl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14989 on: August 02, 2011, 11:40:37 am »

Question, in a calm world with a calm embark, is it remotly normal for a fortress to come under attack from a flying webbing titan in just it's third year with absolutly no other major attack, (a single kiddnapper in my second season was the other problem i had, he got away with empty hands, but left me a tooth in my refuse pile). Becuase frankly it seems insane, especially given i only have just over 100K wealth and 50ish dorfs, not to mention nothing nastier than some badly trained marksdwarves with wooden xbows and wooden ammo, (say hello to the map with no metal, no coal and few trees).

BodyGripper

• Bay Watcher
  • The dog is screaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14990 on: August 02, 2011, 11:43:46 am »

Let me think of a reason to post on page 1000...

I was very sad when my computer stopped working right before page 1000.  :-[
Luckily, I did play a little bit yesterday.  I had my saved game on a flash drive, and showed it to my friend so he'd see what a several-year-old fortress looks like.  Then I tried to breach HFS to show him that, but I ended up having some magma-related problems and not doing it.  Interestingly, a goblin siege took place right after I moved my entire military to prepare for HFS.  I think about 100 dwarfs died.

I savescummed, though.    :-X
"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry... It's okay to sell quivers..."
I just ripped open a lions throat by biting it. Who's the lion now, bitch!

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14991 on: August 02, 2011, 12:11:21 pm »

I found the corpse of a forgotten beast I didn't kill. In Hell.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #14992 on: August 02, 2011, 12:44:27 pm »

I have found warm rock for the first time ever, and Im trying to get to the topish of the magma to get some magma forges going. Also I bought out an entire human caravan with a few roasts and crafts. I will never run out of wood again. My newly appointed militia captain (who replaced the last one that died) went into a mood, and needs glass. I have NO sand or gems that make glass what so ever. . . .FUUUUUUU-

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14993 on: August 02, 2011, 12:56:27 pm »

Found a cliffside along a lake.  It looked cool, but I had played 5 "no metals" embarks in a row now and didn't want to deal with another one where cobalt was pretending to be some useful metal from the site selection screen.  So I quit and regenned the same world with mineral scarcity not quite as extreme hoping for the site to become useful.

An odd little amusing detail of the site was that the wagondriver had somehow parked the wagon on a little island on the side of the lake and all my embark guys were more than 40 tiles away clinging to the cliffside with no real way to get to their supplies.   Amusing.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

malimbar04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14994 on: August 02, 2011, 01:25:47 pm »

I traded my single legendary militia dwarf's morningstar with a bronze whip, per what I've read about whips being lightsabers. With dabbling whip skill, Iden "Channeleven the Peace of Diversions", rushed into the fray of goblin ambushers.

I thought he'd do great, being so awesome and well equipped otherwise. Unfortunately, his steel low boots didn't fit very well. One fell off of his foot early in the battle, and a axgoblin opportunistically shopped off his right lower leg from behind. Iden promptly grabbed him by the finger, and proceeded to tear it off in one fell swoop.

Iden proceeds to learn his weapon while litterally ROLLING around, dodging axes and and blocking arrows with his shield. he proceeded to slaughter them utnil they ran away.

Iden, you have earned your own tomb. Shame though, as missing a leg makes you largley worthless. I'll have to get a new militia dwarf now.
No! No! I will not massacre my children. Instead, I'll make them corpulent on crappy mass-produced quarry bush biscuits and questionably grown mushroom alcohol, and then send them into the military when they turn 12...

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthulhu, the scariest Forgotten Beast of all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14995 on: August 02, 2011, 02:28:55 pm »

In my fort, I am overcoming my OCCDness, not abandoning because migrants suck, and I'm realizing that there is absolutely no metal anywhere on my map.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14996 on: August 02, 2011, 04:20:11 pm »

YEEEESSSSSS

Metalsmith enters mood. I curse, having no anvils. I cheat one in, he grabs one steel bar. I sigh, expecting a single low boot or some such crap.
Code: [Select]
Jawchains, a steel chain leggings
This is a steel chain leggings. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. On the item is an image of feather trees in steel.

Hello, legendary armorer. I love you.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14997 on: August 02, 2011, 04:25:32 pm »

But...he put a picture of a tree on it...

Not even a dwarfy tree like a tower cap.  He put a FEATHER TREE on it.  Those things are the elfyest of all trees!  Clearly the short elf spy must be sacrificed.  Tear off the beardwig to expose him for what he is!

...Actually wait...is the tree falling?  Or possibly in the groin region of the leggings?  I suppose either of those would make a tree dwarfy.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 04:27:51 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14998 on: August 02, 2011, 04:39:33 pm »

Groin region :P
But feather trees are awesome. They weigh as much as styrofoam, but can block silver warhammers and spoiler-grade axes with ease.
Also? He just made a full set of masterpiece steel gear to go along with the artifact leggings. I have renamed him Hephaestus.

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14999 on: August 02, 2011, 04:41:54 pm »

A siege caught many of my dwarfs unawares as they labored on an outdoor project. I was forced to send my best squad of fighters out to meet the enemy. They unfortunately met on a narrow bridge. 4 axelords and a baby drowned while dodging arrows. The vile force of darkness was defeated but at great cost. Those fine dwarfs and their precious steel armaments rest at the bottom of the river.

While constructing a safety wall around the bridge a section collapsed and a mason drowned. The irony was not comforting to the widow who threw a tantrum.

One of the surviving axe dwarf gave birth to a baby girl the day after the battle. When she is of age she will be drafted and raised up to axe lord.

Ena Ayanuamate the great hairy slug and Idor Lekud the Minotaur were both slain.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 04:52:44 pm by tastypaste »
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!
Pages: 1 ... 998 999 [1000] 1001 1002 ... 3842