Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 997 998 [999] 1000 1001 ... 3842

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 6127398 times)

Aatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #14970 on: August 01, 2011, 06:49:11 pm »

EDIT: What in Armok's name.... I swear to you, after I came on  here and made this post, I went back to the Fortress. I figured it would be amusing to lower the outer gate and allow the enemy to come in, attack a cat who's trapped in the airlock section, and maybe a few would die on our traps. The moment the bridge snapped down, every single Goblin without exception began moving at absolute top speed - away from the Fortress. In moments, the horde was off the map and only a few Trolls remained. They got minced by the traps. The siege is now pretty much over, and I have absolutely no clue what convinced the enemy to run, screaming in fear from our fort, only days after they got here.

Stozu McGoblin, Elite Crossbowman cancels Lay Siege: Interrupted by Stray Cat (Tame)

That is one badass cat.

Aatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14971 on: August 01, 2011, 07:09:33 pm »

Well I deliberately embarked on an aquifer for the challenge of digging through it. First attempt caused minor flooding in the below-aquifier area, almost drowning my miner. Second attempt (using knowledge gleaned from attempt one) went much smoother, and I am now setting up shop in proper dwarven stone. Unfortunately, I don't have an anvil, and didn't realise until after the first caravan. Now I have tons of iron (which I shall make into steel, using my copious stores of chalk) while I wait for the next dwarven caravan.

I also have massive farms set up and a thriving agriculture. I'm almost tempted to make the brewery 24/7 to make massive amounts of alcohol.

Future plans include: barracks, bedrooms, dining room and a concerted mining effort for materials.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14972 on: August 02, 2011, 12:04:36 am »

I thought I sealed up the caverns. I thought. the 3 forgotten beasts were fine, i made sure only to dig just far enough to let the moss in. when the chicken showed up, i built a wall. when the warbler showed up, that was bad too. but still, theyre all nicely sealed up. until i look up. the chicken was slaughtering my dwarves, my militia was unprepared, they were all killed.. then the warbler came up too. Then everyone started rioting...

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14973 on: August 02, 2011, 12:29:38 am »

My vanilla fort on an aquifer went rather poorly. I though I was done with the aquifer, but the next layer started filling. Couldn't handle it, abandoned. I thought four was plenty for layers, but no. :(

My Wizard's Tower game died an fps death, but its replacement is fantastic. A microcline tower worthy of wizardliness. It's already like 6 z-levels high and quite wide. I have the ridiculous sky bridge done in cobaltite and microcline. Farming down in the caverns, I'm already three layers deep. Magnetite everywhere, but forges are just now going up.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14974 on: August 02, 2011, 12:36:55 am »

Finally getting my iron production up and running after four years of digging, which is a slight disappointment.

I haven't delved too deep yet - I've been working on getting some form of accomodation in place for all of the bloody migrants - I think the next lot might burn in the fires of creation.

Also working on a waterfall generator at the main entrance to my hospital. I'm hoping it'll act as a cleanser for the infected patients.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Trippin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14975 on: August 02, 2011, 12:51:00 am »

Granitegroove has survived another seige, with some casualties. This time we lost some experienced dwarves to gobbo archers.

I just uploaded it to DFMA, can you guys tell me what you think?

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-10624-granitegroove
I imagine that every fortress will eventually become a roiling mass of naked, muddy beardballs so fat they have to travel by rolling around.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14976 on: August 02, 2011, 01:52:21 am »

I decided to pay closer attention to personality and traits for my latest fort and got the following:

Strongarm - hammerdwarf, militia commander, mighty
Hammerhand - hammerdwarf, loves warhammers, very strong
Horsehale - hammerdwarf, loves horses for their strength, very strong
Feverfew - chief medical officer, rarely sick, impervious to the effects of stress
Plumplove - miner, loves plump helmet men for the resemblance to food
Little-axe - woodcutter, flimsy
Wishlist - broker/manager/bookkeeper, candid and sincere in dealings with others, assertive

My embark site was almost completely flat except for two small, short hills.  Lots of wood and a stream, but there was danger right from the start in the form of giant badgers =(!  I immediately created my three-man hammer squad, while the rest of the dwarves began to move everything to the closest hill.  The giant badgers kept running close, then running away, until a sow became enraged and charged.  I activated my squad and they rushed into battle. 

Horsehale was the first to engage the crazed beast, who grabbed hold of him with her massive jaws, tearing a bloody gash into his upper leg, and nearly chomping his foot off.  He got in a few good hits, but he was mostly busy trying to pry her teeth off his leg. When that failed, he decided to bite her back! Hammerhand managed to get behind the beast and bash her skull in before she could kill his squadmate. 

Horsehale was a bloody mess and I thought he was a goner.  I didn't even have any workshops created at this point!  I broke the wagon down, then quickly made a bed, thinking the whole time that he was going to die any second.  I then made a 1-bed/1-bag hospital in the barely excavated cave entrance.  Wishlist, the expedition leader, whisked the wounded warrior into her arms, ignored the other giant badgers milling around nearby, and got him to the infirmary.  Feverfew rolled up her sleeves and got to work with just the basic supplies.  I like to think that her "impervious to the effects of stress" really came through here.  She nailed the diagnosis, patched him up, then sent him on his way with a crutch.

The fight banged Horsehale up pretty bad.  Due to nerve damage, he could no longer walk without the aid of a crutch.  I was a bit bummed that I had invested so many skill points that would now go to waste.  Then I thought, this is dwarf fortress!  A dwarven warrior wouldn't let something like this get him down! 

Horsehale is now back in the military and sparring with his squadmates, while wielding a shield and a crutch with the same arm.  And he's fallen in love with Feverfew, the medic who nursed him back to health :).
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 01:54:30 am by VerdantSF »

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14977 on: August 02, 2011, 06:13:33 am »

The fort I embarked in a Terrifying Biome finally fell. Without the miner we couldn't dig, and without the fisherman we had only plants. The ogres who left (Zuglarondin and two males) came back and promptly nommed everyone to death. The end.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14978 on: August 02, 2011, 06:17:18 am »

Our newest recruit who uses a steel scythe went secretive and made a llama bone chain.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14979 on: August 02, 2011, 06:18:45 am »

Our newest recruit who uses a steel scythe went secretive and made a llama bone chain.

Congratulations on the chain aaaand 1st post of 1000th page of the thread :D
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Crazy Cow

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14980 on: August 02, 2011, 07:45:01 am »

Let me think of a reason to post on page 1000...

My miner is also my expedition leader. The liaison was with him when he was mining, so when he tried to dig a ramp under a tree the resulting cavein knocked the liaison into a pool.
Ah well, I don't use that screen unless I need it.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14981 on: August 02, 2011, 07:56:34 am »

"Oh heck what am I gonna do with these grazers..."

A VILE FORCE OF DARKNESS HAS ARRIVED!

"Problem solved, no more grazers."

I disliked cattle micromanagement anyway. I'm much happier breeding dogs and cats for food (or actually, mainly the tallow).
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14982 on: August 02, 2011, 08:37:07 am »

End of first year: An Ambush! Curse all friends of nature... wait, friends of nature? Yay, in my newest fort I got elves at war without even doing anything. Now it's in its 3rd year and got 50+ assorted goblins, elves and badgers in cages and everything's going well. A few dwarves died in various amusing ways but I'll detail on that later.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14983 on: August 02, 2011, 08:53:00 am »

Just starting another volcano desert/badlands fort. Glazefurnace is going well so far. Cutting into the side of the volcano mountain and should hopefully have the main entrance and farms planted by summer. Plenty access to fire clay, sand and even some hematite to keep me busy once the forts established.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14984 on: August 02, 2011, 10:13:51 am »

Just became a barony and I raised my faithful manager - who I have treated very well, giving him an office, dining hall and everything on par with my mayor for her whole time as my manager - to the position of baroness.

She celebrated by banning the export of grates, of all things.

My current mayor is a bit of a bastard; he likes really obscure metals. So far I've managed, but my mayor might be due for an early retirement soon.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!
Pages: 1 ... 997 998 [999] 1000 1001 ... 3842